Confederate by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://deadline.com/2017/08/black-a...nvisions-post-reparations-america-1202139504/

Seems like Amazon's had the same idea from the opposite direction. Not super convinced on plausibility (it'd have to be a rough Civil War for America to give up New Orleans, let's be real), but this is so much more along the lines of what we all like in terms of AH that I can't help but support it.

Yeah I think it is as asb as a nazi victory. (man in the high castle worked well)

But honestly I think it will have black america as the great progressive forward looking nation while 'white america' is evil racist noecon/rectionary republican caricature (which is also failing cause all those things are baaaaaaaaad.)

It sounds like virtue-signaling drivel, meant less to examine what might have happened had the Confederacy survived and more to pound in white guilt and ham-fisted social commentary. I fully expect there to be a multi-ethic cast of "rebels" fighting the "evil fascist white supremacist capitalist slaver empire". And don't get me started on the idiocy of calling it a "Third Civil War" when it's being fought between two sovereign nations.

But already imbecilic liberals who can't comprehend anything are against it even being produced because "muh victorious Confederacy is SCARY to POCs who ALREADY LITERALLY face complete discrimination in day to day life".

I enjoy it when the left eats their own.

It sounds like virtue-signaling drivel, meant less to examine what might have happened had the Confederacy survived and more to pound in white guilt and ham-fisted social commentary. I fully expect there to be a multi-ethic cast of "rebels" fighting the "evil fascist white supremacist capitalist slaver empire". And don't get me started on the idiocy of calling it a "Third Civil War" when it's being fought between two sovereign nations.

But already imbecilic liberals who can't comprehend anything are against it even being produced because "muh victorious Confederacy is SCARY to POCs who ALREADY LITERALLY face complete discrimination in day to day life".

I enjoy it when the left eats their own.
agreed it's weird and foolish when people use a show that hasn't even been written yet as an excuse to spout off about their politics

They will 100% have an "affair" between a slave-owner and one of his female slaves, and present it as a loving, consensual relationship and not as essentially rape.

They will 100% have an "affair" between a slave-owner and one of his female slaves, and present it as a loving, consensual relationship and not as essentially rape.
On HBO? No way. Gender reverse that though and you got yourself a story-arc.

The reason why I hope this will do well is because it will be a massive boost to the alternate history genre. During 2004, Google Search Trends showed that searches about alternate history were dropping and they haven't recovered since except for some random spike around August 2011. Ever since, alternate history searches have shown to be slowly growing around the winter of 2015, the same year Man in the High Castle was released. However, the excitement over the genre began to wear off after the spring of 2016.

The 'Confederate Controversy has allowed it to grow for a bit but ultimately, it dropped back down. According to Ian the Admin himself, "there have been no defining moments in this board because it has grown so organically". However, if a media powerhouse like HBO showed its interest in alternate history, this could allow thousands of viewers across the world to find a passion in writing counterfactual days of yore. Even if it does horribly, a lot of people will still find this forum in the middle depths of the internet. Thoughts?

Pretty good article by Ta-Nehisi Coates on this: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/08/no-confederate/535512/

Very choice quote, although it's all worth reading:

Storytellers have the right to answer any question they choose. But we do not need to wait to examine all the questions that are not being chosen: What if John Brown had succeeded? What if the Haitian Revolution had spread to the rest of the Americas? What if black soldiers had been enlisted at the onset of the Civil War? What if Native Americans had halted the advance of whites at the Mississippi? And we need not wait to note that more interesting than asking what the world would be like if the white South had won is asking why so many white people are enthralled with a world where the dreams of Harriet Tubman were destroyed by the ambitions of Robert E. Lee.

The problem of Confederate can’t be redeemed by production values, crisp writing, or even complicated characters. That is not because its conceivers are personally racist, or seek to create a show that endorses slavery. Far from it, I suspect. Indeed, the creators have said that their hope is to use science fiction to “show us how this history is still with us in a way no strictly realistic drama ever could.” And that really is the problem. African Americans do not need science-fiction, or really any fiction, to tell them that that “history is still with us.” It’s right outside our door. It’s in our politics. It’s on our networks. And Confederate is not immune. The show’s very operating premise, the fact that it roots itself in a long white tradition of imagining away emancipation, leaves one wondering how “lost” the Lost Cause really was.

The reason why I hope this will do well is because it will be a massive boost to the alternate history genre. During 2004, Google Search Trends showed that searches about alternate history were dropping and they haven't recovered since except for some random spike around August 2011. Ever since, alternate history searches have shown to be slowly growing around the winter of 2015, the same year Man in the High Castle was released. However, the excitement over the genre began to wear off after the spring of 2016.

The 'Confederate Controversy has allowed it to grow for a bit but ultimately, it dropped back down. According to Ian the Admin himself, "there have been no defining moments in this board because it has grown so organically". However, if a media powerhouse like HBO showed its interest in alternate history, this could allow thousands of viewers across the world to find a passion in writing counterfactual days of yore. Even if it does horribly, a lot of people will still find this forum in the middle depths of the internet. Thoughts?

I think its interesting, that the interest of Alternate History is in decline since 2004. It would fit with my personal theory about the genre. Post Cold War, Pre 9/11, was the best time for AH, because we believed we were living at the end of history.

Personally I’m hoping studios/networks don’t take away the wrong lesson from this and avoid any further attempts at AH media.

About time. Let's face it: this was never a very good idea to begin with, and with those showrunners...yeesh.

I've certainly seen worse ideas for TV. Confederate victory is cliche as fuck, but any AH concept in a new medium has the potential to do really well with the support HBO can give it. The showrunners are kinda iffy. But what can you do.

Personally I’m hoping studios/networks don’t take away the wrong lesson from this and avoid any further attempts at AH media.

Amazon released Man in the High Castle without a major scandal.

Status
Not open for further replies.