Concerning DBWI threads...

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by ajdb0614, Aug 13, 2017.

1. ajdb0614 The Kaiser's loyal left-hand man

Alright, I've been wondering about this for a long time, and I'm gonna finally ask it. Do DBWIs by nature belong on the Shared Worlds forum? And before you go all "hey, aren't you the guy who keeps posting all those DBWIs?", yes I admit to being unsure about this. If I'm correct, threads with roleplaying elements are meant to go in SW. DBWIs, are in a sense roleplaying - where we take the roles of accounts on an ATL AH.com, and act out a discussion on the relevant subject.

With this in mind, I also have a few questions on a couple of DBWI "genres":

1) DBWI AHCs: You know the drill, AHC set in a TL where X happened instead of Y. Question on whether these are SW aside, should these be called "DBAHC" or is the current term fine.

2) DBWI Chats: Basically post an opening (e.g. : So the Kaiser is going to make a state visit to the Russian Empire...), and then everyone takes the role of ah.commers in an ATL version of the chat forum. In this case, the RP elements are much stronger than regular DBWIs. This concept has been around for awhile, and many of those old threads were never moved to SW. Some of you may recognize my account as the one that started two recents threads of this type: The North China H-Bomb Test Thread (the one which inspired several "rogue state nuke test" threads that ended up getting locked by @CalBear for bandwagoning. I confess that this one was inspired by this surviving 3rd Reich undergoing collapse thread) and the Russian Revolution delayed by 100 years thread. The latter ended up getting moved to Shared Worlds, while the former remains in Post-1900. So concerning these, are threads of this type supposed to be SW? Also, what would be a correct term for this? DB Chat? AH Chat? ATL Chat?

WotanArgead likes this.
  2. WotanArgead The Last Soldier of Marxism

I liked this variant most of all.

3. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

Don't forget the DBWIs involving ISIS expies (the "World Animal State" and the "Kingdom of God")

4. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

Double-Blind (DBWI) and Future-Blind (FBWI) What If FAQ

I hope the FAQ helps answer your questions. :)

I'm...not quite understanding the difference between these two? As as I've ever been aware, these are the same thing.

5. ajdb0614 The Kaiser's loyal left-hand man

One is an AHC from the perpective of an ATL (example: AHC - Make Ford lose in '76). The other is a chat thread from an ATL (example: A news thread covering the coronation of a Polish-Lithuanian King)

6. fdas Well-Known Member

Putting it in SW would condemn it to obscurity.

theg*ddam*hoi2fan likes this.
  7. ajdb0614 The Kaiser's loyal left-hand man

Indeed, seen it happen to several active DBWIs. One day getting loads of replies, gets moved to SW, then dies within 12 hours.

8. Lalli Well-Known Member

And these DBWIs which experience quick death are usually these better ones. Sometimes it seems that mods moves these best ones to SWs and leave these worst ones.