Comprehensive Q-BAM Reservoirs and Artificial Water Bodies Project

Here's the first post to this thread, which is gonna be a repository for patches to a reservoirs/artificial water bodies map. I thought it might be useful for mappers to know when water bodies came into existence for accuracy sake on the Q-BAM.
Any help is welcome, particularly in North America, Russia, and Scandinavia. Lakes which I can't find the years of will be named, and help with those is also very welcome.

Red outlines are for confirmed artificial water bodies, and purple for those which have surfaced and resurfaced.

Once this project is more or less done, I'll begin work on patches over time for the Aral Sea.

This first patch is for Africa, the Middle East, and Iberia.
africaarabiaiberiareservoir.png

PART TWO OF THIS PROJECT IS BEGUN

As well as the post on the historical thread (link) this is the first post of the the new iteration of this project, in combination with the accompanying spreadsheet (link).
Any disputes with what I've recorded feel free to post about here and I'll go thru it to make sure everything is absolutely accurate---this project's main goal is accuracy and comprehensiveness in the Q-BAM.

reservoirsEUv1.png

On the map, I've provided most-likely the end-construction date for the reservoir, or accompanying dam when that isn't information available.
I have not provided on-map filling dates because I'm not trying to map discrete changes to each of these water bodies---unless the reservoir was filled before the end-construction date.

The green is representative of any water bodies which I think are not necessary to represent, in this case whatever is in Greece, which seems to be in the same spot as the Struma River, which isn't nearly large enough for coastline status.

Alright and I've already made it thru North Africa, I'll probably leave the next patch to West Asia or the rest of Africa (maybe both).

reservoirsNAfv1.png

In the green this time is an issue I've raised before, this one seems like the Mareb River, which does flood seasonally, but not to such an extent that I would think it warrants coastline status either.
EDIT: I should have mentioned, I've decided that I'm going to distinguish between light and dark red in the case of separate water bodies which appear to be one on Q-BAM (this will be the case for those in Spain whenever I make a larger patch release).

If there's one thing I'm happy for now it's that I no longer have to transcribe Arabic, it has taken all of the energy out of me.
West Asia / Middle East is done now, with no gripes this time.

reservoirsWAv1.png

PART TWO OF THIS PROJECT IS BEGUN

As well as the post on the historical thread (link) this is the first post of the the new iteration of this project, in combination with the accompanying spreadsheet (link).
Any disputes with what I've recorded feel free to post about here and I'll go thru it to make sure everything is absolutely accurate---this project's main goal is accuracy and comprehensiveness in the Q-BAM.

View attachment 733310

On the map, I've provided most-likely the end-construction date for the reservoir, or accompanying dam when that isn't information available.
I have not provided on-map filling dates because I'm not trying to map discrete changes to each of these water bodies---unless the reservoir was filled before the end-construction date.

The green is representative of any water bodies which I think are not necessary to represent, in this case whatever is in Greece, which seems to be in the same spot as the Struma River, which isn't nearly large enough for coastline status.
Hi,
Love this work, just hate to point out you have missed the largest reservoir on the map.
Keep up the great work.

After more than a year of searching on and off I've finally found data on Zunzulo in Angola!
This patch is for the Southern Africa Region (as defined in the spreadsheet) minus South Africa, for which there will be a follow-up post.
reservoirsSAFwoSAv1.png

After South Africa is done, I'll go over Western Africa and then move over to Central Asia.

EDIT:
Love this work, just hate to point out you have missed the largest reservoir on the map.
Keep up the great work.
I should have clarified here, that patch does not include Scandinavia (barring Iceland) or European Russia, both of which are monoliths in themselves which I'll be giving their own separate patches later on

Last edited:
After more than a year of searching on and off I've finally found data on Zunzulo in Angola!
This patch is for the Southern Africa Region (as defined in the spreadsheet) minus South Africa, for which there will be a follow-up post.
View attachment 735603
After South Africa is done, I'll go over Western Africa and then move over to Central Asia.

EDIT:

I should have clarified here, that patch does not include Scandinavia (barring Iceland) or European Russia, both of which are monoliths in themselves which I'll be giving their own separate patches later on

The Western Africa patch is now done!

reservoirsWnAv1.png

This concludes Africa, I'll now be moving further into Asia, beginning with a Central Asia patch next.

EDIT:
Figured I'd provide a patch for everything as of right now.
reservoirsProgress7May22.png

Last edited:
Will this thread cover some dry lake stuff? Like the ones in Algeria and Tunis? I've not been able to find an exact date for when they dried up or if all of them were even filled
I wasn't at all planning on it, but once I've covered all the patches I plan to, I'd be happy to go back over for dry lakes as well

Between now and the Central Asia patch, I figured I'd take some small steps into Russia...
reservoirsEURussiaSRv1.png

...with a patch for the North Caucasian and Southern Regions.
It also seems fitting as well, because otherwise there would be a weird gap between the current patches and Central Asia when that is done.

Here's the first post to this thread, which is gonna be a repository for patches to a reservoirs/artificial water bodies map. I thought it might be useful for mappers to know when water bodies came into existence for accuracy sake on the Q-BAM.
Any help is welcome, particularly in North America, Russia, and Scandinavia. Lakes which I can't find the years of will be named, and help with those is also very welcome.

Red outlines are for confirmed artificial water bodies, and purple for those which have surfaced and resurfaced.

Once this project is more or less done, I'll begin work on patches over time for the Aral Sea.

This first patch is for Africa, the Middle East, and Iberia.
View attachment 603760
What's the areas in Green, then.