Commitment To Excellence: A Raiders & NFL Timeline

tumblr_n8if74T3rp1sqxbp0o1_1280.jpg

“The Autumn wind is a pirate, blustering in from sea. With a rollicking song he sweeps along, swaggering boisterously. His face is weather beaten, he wears a hooded sash. With a silver hat about his head and a bristling black moustache. He growls as he storms the country, a villain big and bold. And the trees all shake and quiver and quake, as he robs them of their gold. The Autumn Wind is a raider, pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round and upside down and laugh when he's conquered and won.”

Introduction
“There are few teams that breed utter contempt and admiration and devotion in equal measure. The Raiders are one of those teams. We have never been liked by the rest of the NFL and that suited us just fine, we weren't meant to be to everyone's taste. Being part of the Raiders is like being part of a cult, everyone and anyone is accepted into the madness that is Raider Nation and that was the way it should always be. The rebirth of the Raiders was due in part to equal parts tragedy and that take on all comers attitude that personified the Raider Nation. The new millennium ushered in a new dawn for the NFL, and we know that the 2000's belonged to two teams primarily; the Patriots & the Raiders.” -Tom Hanks from ESPN's 30 for 30 special “Commitment To Excellence”

“I guess if I had to say where the foundations of what the media dubbed us the New World Order of the national football league would be the 1999 post season before entering the 2000 draft. Coach Gruden upped sticks and went to Green Bay and Hell a lotta guys wanted to go with him. Not me though, too cold for my liking and too small, ain't nothing fun up there. But that left us without a guy running the ship. Left us with a couple of draft picks though cause what Al Davis wants Al Davis got..sometimes.” - Charles Woodson, Raiders safety

“Oh sure everyone in the NFL knew that Gruden was gonna go. When you run that West Coast offense and you have the chance to coach THE gunslinger Brett Favre. Who wouldn't take that chance. You'd have to be insane. It was the logical choice and I don’t think anyone blamed Gruden for wanting to jump ship. Anyone but Al really. But he pulled that ship back on course with the hire of Pete Carroll.... and then the 2000 draft happened and that was the beginnings of the New World Order of football” - Tim Brown, former Raiders wide receiver

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The post season for the 1999 Raiders was less than ideal. Number one target Dan Marino had opted to end his career as a Dolphin stating “I'm lucky to have played for one team and one team alone in my professional career and I couldn't have been more happy and proud to have been a Miami Dolphin”. And by the time Al's quest to land Marino had ended the number two choice Rich Gannon had gone down the California coast to San Diego and signed a four year deal to be the Chargers starting quarterback replacing the bust that was Ryan Leaf. Jim Harbaugh who had been at the Chargers the previous year was released and made the move up the coast to Oakland where he signed a two year deal to be the man in Oakland... at least for now.

It wasn't meant to be long term. With the hire of Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh under centre the Raiders had lots of work to do. Carroll cleaned house and wanted to bring his own guys in and create a new atmosphere in Oakland. For too long had the Raiders stagnated and he knew and Al knew something had to be done. Bringing in unknowns and underrate guys like Mike Tomlin to be defensive backs coach and Gus Bradley from North Dakota State to be his defensive coordinator and Steve Sarkisian coming in from El Camino college as offensive coordinator in series of moves many in the sports media dubbed 'The Purge”.

“Was I harsh in culling the staff when I came in. Maybe I was, didn’t mean I liked it though. Those guys went onto join Gruden in Green Bay and went on, for the better part to have careers everywhere else so I don't buy into the whole Pete 'The Culler' Carroll idea that some critics had dubbed me” - Pete Carroll, from his autobiography “Good Guys Wear Black”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter One: The Hire

From the autobiography of former Raiders head coach Pete Carroll “Good Guys Wear Black”

When I had the call from Al Davis I was already on my way to California and down to USC to discuss taking over their football operations. After being fired by the Patriots I had a bitter taste in my mouth for professional football and I was seen as collegiate level coach, too bubblegum for this level and in some respects maybe I was but I get the call and think to myself why not, it couldn't hurt to consider the offer and meet with Al. Either way I was happy to meet with him.

“Thank you for your time Pete. I know you are a busy guy. And I know about the interest from USC so I'm gonna cut to the chase. I like you. I like what you did for the guys up in Massachusetts and I want you to bring that here”

I was shocked, especially when he said he liked what I had done up in New England. Many had called my time there a waste despite my record but I still was shocked. I wasn't the type of guy he would usually go for. Al was a radical, he was for lack of a better term and I use this term lovingly of the guy; insane. He wasn't your usual owner but I guess that's why he wanted me because why not buck the trend of hiring either yes men or argumentative types.

“I don't know what to say... you'll have to understand I will have to think about this with my wife and family”

“Oh of course. You have an hour”

An hour... an hour is all he gave me. That definitely cemented my idea that he was insane. But he had his methods and I had my own. I got on the phone to my wife Glena and told her about the offer and without hesitation she told me to go for it. That was a bigger shock than Davis' ultimatum. But I took her advice and I could see the look on Al's face when I went back into his office. It was like Christmas to the guy. He had his man and I had my new job. I had joined the dark side but I had my own terms and he agreed to them all... this felt too easy and well I was gonna be proven right.

Last edited:
Looks promising. Subscribed

Why thank you :D I will be working on this every single chance I get. As a Patriots fan it gives me the chance to make them look good whilst turning the perennial sick man of the 2000's the Raiders into something to be feared again.

I must give my thanks to Pellegrino and his superb Dawg Pound Dynasty timeline that inspired this and hopefully can replicate it's success and appeal.

I'm officially terrified of what might happen in this timeline.

Be afraid. Be very afraid. ;) I hope I can give people a surprise and make the Raiders that brand of dysfunctional we all love and know.

Awesome start!!! Can't wait to see this develop!

Thank you so much :) Just praying it can be 1/10th what Dawg Pound is

Switching out Gruden for Carroll, that's interesting…

Perfect timing really, changing the situation in Green Bay with Ron Wolf retiring as GM earlier allowing Sherman to take up the GM role and not end up as dual HC/GM he had in OTL. Plus the idea of Gruden and Favre being together sounds scary.

Chapter Two: The 2000 Draft

The 2000 pre season had yet to begin and already the mood in the Oakland camp was less than excellent. The 'Gruden Guys' and those who welcomed Carroll with open arms were clearly not going to get along. The upheaval following Gruden's departure to Wisconsin left many wondering what could the friendly Pete Carroll do where Jon Gruden could not . The Raiders were in disarray and despite the addition of Carroll, Harbaugh and a whole new set of coaches there was a rift forming. But that had to be stopped quickly, the first draft of the millennium was approaching and no work had been done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the ESPN 30 for 30 special, Commitment to Excellence

“I don't blame some of the guys. They were either brought in by coach Gruden or had built up the kind of relationship that few get with their head coach and they felt betrayed by Al when they hired Pete but Gruden left to go to Green Bay so what was he gonna do?” - Charles Woodson, Raiders safety

“The first meeting with the squad and personnel was err... interesting to say the least. I could see these guys thinking “what an ass-hole” and I pretty sure I heard one guy say “we lose Gruden and we hired a cheap Jay Leno lookalike” yeah that one was funny but it showed me there was a lot of work to be done and I had the draft to look forward to and like it or not this team was going to become committed to something other than mediocrity” - Pete Carroll

“I liked Pete, still do. But I was pissed and I felt though he had to win me over. A lot of the other guys felt that way” - Rickey Dudley, former Raiders tight end

nfldraft.jpg

Marty Schottenheimer: And welcome back to ESPN's coverage of the 2000 draft. Well this is going to be an interesting draft. The Raiders under new head coach Pete Carroll have had no time to prepare for this. And now with Gruden up in Green Bay it will make for interesting viewing.

Chris Berman: You're right there. The added intrigue being that the Packers lost three draft picks to get Gruden. Three first rounders over the next three years. That is extremely dangerous play by Ron Wolf as he hands the reins over to Mike Sherman.

Marty Schottenheimer: Mike Sherman and Gruden will face a tough task for the next few years but with Favre under center there's nothing they can't achieve... But if truth be told I would not have made that deal and now the Packers are going to pay for it. And the first pick of the draft is in. Let's see what commissioner Paul Tagliabue has to say

Commissioner Tagliabue: The first pick in the 2000 NFL Draft is as follows. The Cleveland Browns select... Defensive end Shaun Ellis out of the University of Tennessee

Chris Berman: Wow... I expected Ellis to be a first rounder but first pick? Interesting situation there

Commissioner Tagliabue: With the second pick of the draft, the Washington Redskins trade their pick to the Oakland Raiders in exchange for the 17th pick of the first round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I couldn't believe it. They had just grabbed that pick and now they were trading their own 1st rounder. Carroll was just as crazy as Al. But they had a plan. They had to... didn't they?" -Marty Schottenheimer

Commissioner Tagliabue: The Oakland Raiders with the 2nd pick of the draft select...out of Penn State, linebacker LaVar Arrington

–-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Round Draft Order

1st Pick; Browns; Shaun Ellis, DE
2nd Pick; Raiders; LaVar Arrington, LB
3rd Pick; Redskins; Brian Urlacher, LB
4th Pick; Bengals; Plaxico Burress, WR
5th Pick; Ravens; Jamal Lewis, RB
6th Pick; Eagles, Corey Simon, DT
7th Pick; Cardinals; Shaun Alexander, RB
8th Pick; Steelers; Travis Taylor, WR
9th Pick; Bears; Julian Peterson, LB
10th Pick; Ravens; Peter Warrick, WR
11th Pick; Giants; Thomas Jones, RB
12th Pick; Jets; John Abraham, DE
13th Pick; Jets; Courtney Brown, DE​

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The draft was interesting, teams were grabbing guys they needed for position but not the guys anyone expected. Shaun Alexander's rise up the first round and Peter Warrick's slumped projection raised eyebrows but none more-so than Courtney Brown's failure to be drafted so far. The number one pick many believed was now not even the top ten but number 13 and you could see on his face the anger and frustration. Especially when the Jets picked John Abraham ahead of him. And now...the Raiders were on the clock with the pick they had bled Green Bay dry of.

Commissioner Tagliabue:And with the fourteenth pick of the NFL draft, the Oakland Raiders select, offensive tackle Chris Samuels out of Alabama

The Raiders had struck big with Urlacher and Samuels. Two players they saw as linchpin for their defensive and offensive lines but they needed something more. Rumours had sprung up that Gruden was looking to draft kicker Sebastian Janikowski in the first round, something that Pete Carroll managed to nip in the bud before it happened.

14th Pick; Raiders; Chris Samuels, OT
15th Pick; Broncos; Deltha O'Neal, CB
16th Pick; 49'ers; Rob Morris, LB
17th Pick; Redskins; Keith Bulluck, LB
18th Pick; New York Jets; Chad Pennington, QB
19th Pick; Seahawks; Ron Dayne, RB
20th Pick; Lions; Chris McIntosh, OT
21st Pick; Chiefs; R.Jay Soward, WR
22nd Pick; Seahawks; Stockar McDougle, OT
23rd Pick; Panthers; Rashard Anderson, CB
24th Pick; 49'ers; Ahmed Plummer, CB
25th Pick; Vikings; Chris Hovan, DT
26th Pick; Bills; Darren Howard, DE
27th Pick; Jets; Bubba Franks, TE
28th Pick; Colts; Ian Gold, LB
29th Pick; Jaguars; Dennis Northcutt, WR
30th Pick; Titans; Erik Flowers, DE
31st Pick; Rams; Anthony Becht, TE

The ensuing rounds focused on the Raiders up with players on the defensive side of the ball with the Raiders grabbing linebacker Marcus Washington from Auburn in the second round, Junior Ioane, defensive end from Arizona State in the fourth round, Dante Hall, wide reciever from Texas A&M in the fifth round and troubled kicker Sebastian Janikowski in the seventh.

“Ah shit man. The draft was where the foundations for the New World Order began and laid. People would see that soon enough..” -LaVar Arrington, Former Raiders LB

“My only regret was not trying to grab Urlacher in that draft as well to create that tandem with LaVar but we got the guys to help kickstart the team. I had wanted to trade in the sixth to get ourselves this young kid from Michigan as a backup and we got him and from there on it was interesting. On a personal note I hated losing Brigham in that deal. Was a bad choice in my mind at the time and even though he doesn't believe me I genuinely wanted him to stay.” -Pete Carroll

“I offered the Arizona Cardinals Jeremy Brigham for their 6th rounder. They needed a tight end and I needed a sixth round pick. We needed the pick. Pete wasn't happy about the player offer but the Cardinals went in for it and we got what we wanted. Jeremy wasn't but it had to be done and that soured our relationship. We got ourselves a local boy who despite people questioning why we took him had talent through and through” - Al Davis

"F**k Tom Brady, F**k Al Davis, F**k Pete Carroll and F**k the Raiders. S'all I'm gonna say"-Jeremy Brigham, former Raiders Tight End

2000 NFL Draft Oakland Raiders Report

First Round; LaVar Arrington Linebacker, Penn State (Traded with Redskins using acquired pick)

First Round; Chris Samuels; Offensive Tackle, Alabama (Acquired from Packers)

Second Round; Marcus Washington, Linebacker, Auburn

Third Round; No Pick

Fourth; Junior Ioane, Defensive End, Arizona State

Fifth Round; Dante Hall, Wide Reciever, Texas A&M

Sixth Round; Tom Brady, Quaterback, Michigan

Seventh Round; Sebastian Janikowski, Kicker, Florida State University​

Last edited:

FDW

Banned
Chris Samuels is kind of curious choice at a time when The Raiders actually had a good offensive line OTL.

Given Ricky Dudley played at Ohio State, he would know Tom Brady. Also, I am not sure Janikowski falls from being a 1st round pick to a 7th round. Good kickers often get picked up in the 3rd or 4th round.

Tom Brady is kind of overrated IMO, he could've easily ended up being a no-impact journeyman had things gone differently.

I think he's a top 10 all-timer. Journeymen dont win with Deion Branch and Troy Brown as their #1 receiver. Journeymen dont lead teams to undefeated seasons (regular). My 2 cents.

FDW

Banned
I think he's a top 10 all-timer. Journeymen dont win with Deion Branch and Troy Brown as their #1 receiver. Journeymen dont lead teams to undefeated seasons (regular). My 2 cents.

IMO, that's because he was dumped into a situation where he could develop into a top-10 QB, because he literally had that epic defense around him for the first few years. A far less favorable situation could easily butterfly his fame.

IMO, that's because he was dumped into a situation where he could develop into a top-10 QB, because he literally had that epic defense around him for the first few years. A far less favorable situation could easily butterfly his fame.

Agreed. He is a product of the system, just like the players that were around him, like Troy Brown, Kevin Faulk, and David Patten.

CHAPTER THREE: THE 2000 SEASON PT 1: THE FIGHT​

oakland-raiders.jpg

ESPN's 30 for 30 documentary, Commitment to Excellence

Tom Hanks: So that season has been documented well over the years and that draft was the first of quite a lot of big events to come. I remember watching it and I had expected us to take Urlacher when we traded up and when we called your name and the camera panned to you it wasn't what we expected.

LaVar Arrington: When I was drafted I honestly was hoping it wasn't gonna be the Raiders. I had my head set on the Redskins and when they traded with Oakland I just knew I was heading west. I loved my time there but it wasn't always great. I think everyone knows what I'm referring to... “The Fight”

The 2000 NFL season started painfully for the Raiders who suffered at the hands of their Californian neighbours the San Diego Chargers in an embarrassing 33-7 loss to Rich Gannon's offensive prowess. During the game starting quarterback for the Raiders Jim Harbaugh and rookie linebacker LaVar Arrington almost came to blows with the veteran calling the youngster “lazy and attention seeking” prompting the former Nittany Lion to reply “You ain't a Charger any-more so quit throwing to them”. The reply irked Harbaugh who lashed out at his teammate and had to be separated by players, notably fellow Michigan Wolverines alumni and his backup Tom Brady who suffered a black eye after accidentally being punched in the face by Harbaugh aiming for Arrington.

Week two was slight improvement, Harbaugh throwing for three touchdowns and only INT against a Colts side looking to push on under their prodigal quarterback Peyton Manning. But the Colts were not in a giving mood and gave the Raiders their second loss of the season beating them 45-21 in Indianapolis.

The incident between Arrington and Harbaugh continued as they refused to sit near one another during travel and in practice with coach Pete Carroll watching as his team was unravelling and groups were forming under his nose. Carroll would then instigate the ”Raider Way” and pair up players on both sides of the ball with one another to room on away games and to build bonds, any player who failed to do so would run his gauntlet or worse. To everyone yet no one's surprise Harbagh and Arrington were placed together to room on away journeys, something that annoyed both men.

“When Pete tried to be Mr.Mean it came off as laughable. He was corny and it didn't work. I'm telling you now he didn't have it in him and to this day doesn't” - Jim Harbaugh, former Raiders quarterback

“Hate the guy. 100% Hate Jim, just think he is an arrogant S.O.B. With a mouth that run and runs and runs and to this day he will not accept he was at fault for the things that happened.” - LaVar Arrington

Week three and the Denver Broncos rolled into Oakland and despite the best efforts of the Oakland defensive unit the Raiders went down 33-14. Harbaugh throwing two touchdowns to three interceptions. Losses to the Browns, 49'ers, Chiefs and Seahawks followed putting Harbaugh under pressure as starter. With 7 games played the Raiders had a depressing record of 0-7 and looked odds on to end up with the first pick of the 2001 draft. Rumours began swirling about Harbaugh's commitment to the team after being spotted with Michigan's Lloyd Carr during a designated practice day which had many believing Harbaugh was set to retire and go back to the Wolverines and join Carr's set up.

“I never spoke to Lloyd about a coaching job and nor did I want to. It was something I had envisioned doing years from then but my focus was purely on the Raiders and anything they say otherwise is revisionist bulls**t”- Jim Harbaugh

After another two shocking games where the Raiders failed to even reach double digits many began to believe that Carroll's hire was a grave error on the part of Al Davis. The team was in free-fall and it wouldn't be too long until they claimed the NFL record of perhaps a winless season. That was until the thirteenth game of the season at Pittsburgh.

With a defence that seemed constantly let down by their offensive line and inability to protect an extremely underwhelming quarterback many believed their journey to the Steel City would break the Raiders once and for all. Harbaugh had thrown 30 INT's against 10 TD's and that began to sow resentment between him and his receiving corps who felt they couldn't catch a cold from the guy as they didn't trust his decision making.

“I caught ten succesful catches off the guy all season up until that point... TEN! I know guys like Rickey and Tim were low on their numbers that year as well, thank God for the running backs to shore up those numbers. But we knew it was time for a change and before the Steelers game we asked Coach Carroll to bench Jim... LaVar was there too and he was still the guy's room-mate even though the two had nearly come to blows again in the blowout loss to the Seahawks in week eight.” - Dante Hall, former Raiders WR

“They came to me the night before and hand on heart they pleaded their case like men and had invited Harbaugh to come with them but he declined. They had enough of dealing with an erratic guy on and off the pitch and wanted a change now. I was ready to make that call” - Pete Carroll

December 3rd, 2000.

Greg Gumbel: Welcome to the NFL on CBS, I'm Greg Gumbel and alongside me is Phil Simms. Excited for this one Phil?

Phil Simms: I am indeed, the Raiders are playing, and I use that term loosely, are playing some of the worst football going. Arrington, Bierkert and Alexander are some of the shining lights on a defense that has just allowed points to rack up.

Greg Gumbel: I think the blame though has to go to an offense that stinks. Harbaugh is not good enough and from what we have seen all season is more than happy to blame his offensive line for not protecting him and the guys he throws to aren't producing.

Phil Simms: Something is going wrong in Oakland and I hate to say it but maybe Al has lost that gift, that knack for making the impossible succeed.

Greg Gumbel: We hand over to our sideline correspondent Armen Keteyian with something breaking news about the raiders line up.

Armen Keteyian: Thank you guys. The Raiders have benched starting QB Jim Harbaugh in favour of another Michigan quarterback, sixth round selection Tom Brady. We don't know much about the kid save his college stats but at this point in the season they have nothing to lose as their nearest losing team are the chargers who sit at 4-8

The Steelers-Raiders game came to be known as the “Wolverine Switch” to many in Oakland as the two former Michigan men replaced each other on the depth chart. The veteran whose first season in Oakland would prove to be his last would lash out at his understudy claiming he was undermined and betrayed by the young signal caller. The switch proved to be the catalyst for the Raiders resurgence as the Silver and Black gunned down a Steelers team who needed to win to keep their playoff hopes alive but they were dashed by the young Wolverine in Black. The end result was a dominant Raiders putting 54 points past the Steelers who could only muster 28 in return.

“The Wolverine. That nickname stuck with the Black Hole chanting it in the last three games as Brady went for it. He may have been a Niners fan but he was a local boy and understood the fans in the area” - Al Davis

raiders-fans-aggressive-geeksandcleats.jpg

“Four games... eleven touchdowns and one interception... seriously what changed... it was simple. We had regained our swagger and walked into those games thinking we could win and even when we lost the last two it was only by a slim margin. We had found the messiah according the the fans but it wasn't to be... we finished 2-14 and had the first pick of the 2001 draft and we went into with excitement. Genuine excitement because we may have sucked but the end of the year showed we could play ball better than we had been” - Rickey Dudley

“I was happy for Tom but it was short lived... We knew Harbaugh was gonna be cut after his remarks about Al and Pete and the team but Al wanted a guy who was dynamic and explosive and felt Tom lacked something and knew who the first pick was going on... this kid was a phenom at Virginia Tech and when all was said and done we knew he was going to be THE guy" - Charles Woodson

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 2000 NFL Regular Season Standings

tumblr_ndvfq3zwHm1qb8ud0o1_1280.png

Last edited: