Come up with a convergent universe!

I seem to remember a thread on the topic of "creating a sliders level plausibility universe", but as I could not find it I decided I would create a new one. So Basically your goal is to create a universe with similarities to OTL, but differences that can be discovered on closer observation, or differences that are from much earlier than things that are from OTL.

I seem to remember a thread on the topic of "creating a sliders level plausibility universe", but as I could not find it I decided I would create a new one. So Basically your goal is to create a universe with similarities to OTL, but differences that can be discovered on closer observation, or differences that are from much earlier than things that are from OTL.

Any secret history would fit this OP. The world appears to be as it is now, but look under the surface and you'll see that all of History has been carried out by the Freemasons, or what-have-you.

Here are a few PODs and events I was thinking about, and more will probably be added later:

• 1530s-England becomes Orthodox after accepting some offer.
  • 1530s-People expelled from Spain (later than OTL) go mainly to America.
  • 1650s-Anglo-Dutch Wars never occur.
  • 1770s-With Dutch North America partially in the way, only northern provinces of British North America fight in the revolution at first.
  • 1790s-The British occupy Louisiana with a minimal french authority in New Orleans.
  • 1800s-With the Netherlands captured in the Napoleonic War by France, Britain annexes the New Netherlands to "protect" them.
  • 1815-War of 1812, US Victory, they get the Maritaimes, the South, New Netherlands, and Louisiana.
  • 1830s-Acts are passed to discourage Amerikaans in New Netherlands.
  • 1830s-The Populace of New Netherlands flees to the Northwest Territory and forms the Ohio Free Staat.
  • 1840s-The first wars are fought against the Amerikaners in Ohio, Independent Republics are defined in Northern Ohio, OTL Michigan, and OTL Wisconsin.
  • 1850s-The Mexican-American Wars-The US takes Northern Mexico and the Yucatan off Mexico.
  • 1860s-Civil War, CS and Northwest Confederacy are defeated.

Last edited:
Well, with the 1800's one, if it's a sliders-type universe, nothing changes except you have a Dutch nation of Wisconsin (you can tell that it's Dutch because there are windmills and tulips in the background shots). Due to it's liberal drug laws, there are a lot of illegal over-the-border things going on, what with the US war on drugs, and our plucky interdimensional travelers are involved in a complex mess involving rogue FDA agents, drug smugglers, and maybe a liberal Dutch Wisconsin who wants his state to join the USA, since we're so cool and all. :)

Bruce

Well, with the 1800's one, if it's a sliders-type universe, nothing changes except you have a Dutch nation of Wisconsin (you can tell that it's Dutch because there are windmills and tulips in the background shots). Due to it's liberal drug laws, there are a lot of illegal over-the-border things going on, what with the US war on drugs, and our plucky interdimensional travelers are involved in a complex mess involving rogue FDA agents, drug smugglers, and maybe a liberal Dutch Wisconsin who wants his state to join the USA, since we're so cool and all. :)

Bruce

Don't all the Sliders take place in California? I thought the premise of the show was that they always ended up in and around the area of San Francisco. So a trip to Dutch Wisconsin would be very out of their way.

Then again, a Dutch California would be a little more hard-to-explain.

Don't all the Sliders take place in California? I thought the premise of the show was that they always ended up in and around the area of San Francisco. So a trip to Dutch Wisconsin would be very out of their way.

Then again, a Dutch California would be a little more hard-to-explain.

I was just speculating on how a sliders-like scenario would play out, not trying to create an actual episode... :D

Bruce

The "Amerikaners" I was thinking about were not as peaceful...... One of things that you would notice in this universe (aside from the churchs looking different) fwould be people talking about "the war back east" with the Amerikaners.

OK, so since this Dutch World Place has an orthodox USA, the Greeks are this TLs Italians. So instead of going out to an Italian resteraunt, you go to a greek resteraunt, and instead of pizzas, there are [open to suggestions], while instead of breadsticks, you can get an order of Spanikopita on the side, and gyros are the subs of this world.

appelant court confirm judgement in National Periodical vs Fawcett publication so that Captain Marvel remains in circulation eventualy forcing superman off the comics racks.

The expression "that's super" is replaced with "that's marvelous" in everyday speech and Doc Brown exclaim "shazam !" repeatedly during Back to the future. Sesame street's Grover's super-hero identity is called the Blue Marvel.

Deleted member 67076

appelant court confirm judgement in National Periodical vs Fawcett publication so that Captain Marvel remains in circulation eventualy forcing superman off the comics racks.

The expression "that's super" is replaced with "that's marvelous" in everyday speech and Doc Brown exclaim "shazam !" repeatedly during Back to the future. Sesame street's Grover's super-hero identity is called the Blue Marvel.
No Superman sounds like a dystopia.