Combined Fleet destroys USN at Midway? Effects?

But Operation MI was far less about the island - which, let's be honest, is postage stamp sized - than it was an opportunity to draw out and destroy the Pacific Fleet's carrier force. That was the point of the operation. The island was just an excuse.

Agreed, it's a dot in the ocean at a valuable location. And destruction of the fleet was priority. But the islands (Sand, Eastern, and Kure) are more than an excuse, if nothing else they put Japan that much closer to Oahu and the West Coast. They can also expand the base soon after.

Even with a larger airfield, you're still limited by the range of your aircraft. It's 1,300 miles from Midway to Oahu. A G4M Betty could reach that, just barely, but almost nothing else will. And anything you put at Midway has to be brought there from very far away (nearest real base was Truk). It's not just about lengthening the runways. You need fuel farms, too. Planes need fuel. And spare parts.

Hence the earlier May 21 reference - there had been an accident with a fuel depot on Midway that day which was not fixed before the battle. Spare parts yes, and that ties into the questions about engines. Japan has the G5N airframe at the time of the battle but the (unreliable) engines they used ran at 1850 hp with disappointing performance, converting them to more reliable 1500 hp only made the problem worse. B-26s use more powerful Wright R-2800 engines running over 2000 HP - if they can grab a few examples and take them back to Japan that's a problem. It's not a war winner, the range is better at about 2600 miles with a limited bomb load of 4000 lbs, but it would be able to attack Oahu. Interestingly the engines differ in displacement by about one liter.

And even all that (unlikely as that kind of buildup would have been had Japan actually somehow taken the atoll) was never going to enable raids on the American West Coast. You're not going anywhere near that until you've taken Oahu. Which, by summer of 1942 was basically Sealion-impossible.

Not unless they can take/hold Midway and develop a bomber with a 3200 mile range. Either way said raids would be token at best.

There's this whole mythology that has grown up about Midway, and it distorts our understanding of what it really meant, and what it could make possible, especially for the Japanese, who were much more logistically constrained than most appreciated at the time. It becomes easy to misread contemporary utterances or actions like Ernie King's in that link, which was based on uncertainty about Japanese capabilities (and as Gannt says, a misunderstanding of how badly Yorktown was damaged) as it was anything else. Midway *was* a big risk that Nimitz took, after all, using three carriers (one of which was badly banged up) against what *could* have been the whole Kido Butai, and not just Cardiv 1 and 2. Nimitz was banking a lot on Rochefort's intel being accurate as to not just time and place, but force composition, too. He won because he had some luck, but mainly because Rochefort turned out to be correct.

We have the benefit of hindsight and access to files that the folks at the time did not. Rochefort did a heckuva job with the intel and did so in a timely manner, Nimitz worried more about Oahu and the West Coast until the radio message about water supplies came through. And given the value of the carriers he could easily have followed King's recommendations and played his hand cautiously. But he gambled and won thus leading to OTL

Which would be what Nimitz would almost certainly do in a scenario where he loses Midway.

So where might the first big Allied counterattack come from if Midway goes in reverse? Guadalcanal or elsewhere?

Which is not to say that MacArthur would not do so. As he attempted whatever form of EKTION III he would try here, Rabaul would still get neutralized, but only from one axis of attack, rather than two. What would be missing here would be Halsey's drive up the Solomons in 1943.

Given that the Japanese under Saito were preparing to unleash biological weapons at Saipan, might they try it in this ATL as well?

Geon

Donor
Agreed, it's a dot in the ocean at a valuable location. And destruction of the fleet was priority. But the islands (Sand, Eastern, and Kure) are more than an excuse, if nothing else they put Japan that much closer to Oahu and the West Coast. They can also expand the base soon after.

I've seen maps of Midway. From what I've seen the Japanese couldn't have expanded the facilities (assuming of course they took them in the first place) any further. At least not without heavy equipment being brought in by sea. Which would have strained Japanese logistics to the limit.

Assuming the IJA did by some miracle take the island you can be sure there would be a major bombing campaign conducted by the remaining carriers and by every plane that could be sent out of PH. The very first order of business for the USN and the USMC would be the retaking of Midway or its total reduction. Japan could simply not supply or sustain a garrison on said island.

It's not a war winner, the range is better at about 2600 miles with a limited bomb load of 4000 lbs, but it would be able to attack Oahu.

I think the problem is that Oahu has a lot more stuff that could reach out and touch Midway than the Japanese have that could do unto Oahu.

Not least because Oahu had quite a number of airfields...

So where might the first big Allied counterattack come from if Midway goes in reverse? Guadalcanal or elsewhere?

I can't be sure, there are different chains of thought to work through, but I suspect that aside from some possible quickie raids (they can't just sit *entirely* on their hands for a full year), it would be something like GALVANIC in summer/fall of 1943. It is the safe bet. Play defense until you're ready to play offense. And obviously if Operation FS happens, Ghormley will have his hands full anyway.

Now that's Nimitz. If the Allies hold Port Moresby, then you'll *probably* see MacArthur getting CARTWHEEL/EKTION III started not far off OTL, with perhaps those quickie raids to feint the Japanese into thinking they need to watch the other flank. It may be that there is no move into the Admiralties under Nimitz's forces have managed to hammer the Combined Fleet in some appreciable degree in the Marshalls/Gilberts, or even better, sunk some of Yamamoto's hulls in the New Hebrides in his attempt to carry out Operation FS.

Speaking of which, if Nagumo really comes to serious grief during FS, then this may may accelerate the timelines.

The truth is, I'd really need to look more closely at USN planning, correspondence of Nimitz, King et al *before* Midway to better appreciate where their minds were at regarding operations for the remainder of 1942.

Given that the Japanese under Saito were preparing to unleash biological weapons at Saipan, might they try it in this ATL as well?

I'm just not seeing it.

Interestingly enough, Prof. Theodore F. Cook (known mostly for his book "Japan at War: an Oral History") wrote an Alternate History scenario in which the Japanese pulled a "reverse Midway," sinking 3 American carriers in exchange for 1 of their own, followed up by a successful F-S and invasion of Hawai'i. The article is below:

Hawai'i Invasion: Leis for the Emperor
Theodore F. Cook, Jr.

Almost from the outset of war, planning for an invasion of Hawai'i stirred controversy at the highest level of Japanese military leadership. On January 14, 1942, Rear Admiral Ugaki Matome, chief of staff of the Combined Fleet and Yamamoto's right-hand man, confided in his diary that Japan had to make the attempt "to take Midway, Johnston, and Palmyra after June, send our air strength to those islands, and after these steps are completed, mobilize all available strength of invade Hawai'i, while attempting to destroy the enemy fleet in a decisive battle." He knew many would likely oppose his plan, but among the reasons he listed for why it had to be executed were: "What would hurt the United States most is the loss of the fleet and of Hawai'i"; "An attempted invasion of Hawai'i and a decisive battle near there may seem a reckless plan, but its chance of success is not small"; "As time passes, we lose the benefits of the war results so far gained. Moreover, the enemy would increase his strength, while we would have to be just waiting for him to come"; and "The destruction of the US fleet would also mean that of the British fleet. So we would be able to do anything we like. Thus, it will be the shortest way to conclude the war." Ugaki noted too that "Time is an important element in war. The period of war should be short. Though a prolonged war is taken for granted, nobody is so foolish as to wish for it himself." Each of these reasons would still have seemed valid after a Japanese Midway.

That Hawai'i was the next target for the Imperial Navy after the seizure of Midway is nearly certain. Thanks to the prodigious efforts of John Stephan of the University of Hawai'i presented in his book, Hawaii under the Rising Sun: Japan's Plans for Conquest After Pearl Harbor, we have a pretty good idea of what Japanese thinking was in 1941 and 1942 for a Hawai'i operation and invasion. The Japanese faced formidable obstacles to success. Certainly a Japanese jump to Pearl Harbor would have been a tremendous gamble, but it would have become a much better wager with the US carriers sent to the bottom and the Hawaiian Islands partially isolated by free-ranging Japanese carriers and submarine forces to their east. Having come this far, Yamamoto surely would have made the attempt if he could pry out of the Imperial Army the divisions, aircraft, and supplies needed. Despite the risks, the potential benefits to Japan of a successful seizure of Oahu are hard to exaggerate, so much so that one can even argue that the only way Japan could have hoped to stave off defeat long enough for negotiations may have been with an all-out assault on the islands at the onset of war. But that is another path off our chosen counterfactual road.

Eastern Operation's invasion of Hawai'i was planned to unfold over a period of months, in a series of stages, though had the victory at Midway been as complete as suggested in this scenario, calls would have been raised to speed up the timetable. To strike immediately would take advantage of American confusion (not to suggest panic) but it would also invite complete disaster. Oahu, the island where Pearl Harbor was located, could not be taken by storm; its fortifications, garrison, and air bases were formidable and would have to be reduced before any invasion could be attempted. The Japanese sword needed to be kept sharp through time in port and under refit and the carriers' aircraft and aircrews had to be rested and replaced. Yamamoto could not have continued to keep his fleet at sea, flitting from one "triumphant operation" to the next in preparation for a culminating battle for Hawai'i, even were he able to find the fuel to do so. Moreover, the Japanese navy would have to secure the full commitment from the army to supply the men and planes needed for the job-not just the few designated before Midway. This would be no small task as they had opposed each of Yamamoto's offensives to this point in the war. But a great Midway victory might have made them enthusiastic supporters, though it seems that few in Japan shared Yamamoto's view that the Americans would be willing to negotiate after Hawai'i was in Japanese hands.

With a clear objective, timetable, and the attention of the commander in chief of the Combined Fleet, Yamamoto Isoroku, the plan most likely to have been attempted posited a strangling of Hawai'i from the west and southwest by a careful move against Palmyra Island as the key air link leading on to the South Pacific, a completion of operations in the FS Operation by taking Samoa, and the establishment of Japanese air and sea bases in September. This the full-blown invasion of Hawai'i might be executed in late 1942, perhaps December. This plan had the advantage of allowing several more carriers to join the fleet and provided for a rapidly accelerated program of converting seaplane tenders into aircraft carriers. Preparations for the Hawai'i Campaign were grandiose, but might have been just feasible if America's military forces were crippled at Midway. Like a great scythe sweeping across the southwest and south-central Pacific, the first phases of the operation, following the theme of the original FS (Fiji-Samoa) proposed before the Midway invasion would sever the lines of communication and supply that tied Australia to Hawai'i and the West Coast of the United States. New Caledonia, Fiji, then Samoa were to be seized (perhaps even Tahiti beyond). Each leap supporting the next. This would be accompanied by landings on Johnston Island and Palmyra Island, another featureless point in the Pacific, leaving the Hawaiian Islands as the only US territory left in the Central Pacific.

American defenses in the Hawaiian Island chain had grown stronger since December 1941, when US Army troops had numbered 40,000 and probably exceeded 65,000 in April 1942. Even larger garrisons were projected for Oahu, home of Honolulu and Pearl Harbor, and for Hawai'i, the "Big Island," several hundred miles to the southeast. But these reinforcements would have posed immense problems for American commanders in the coming battle. Hawai'i was not the rich island paradise of the travel brochures and prewar navy recruiting posters; provisioning the troops and feeding the civilian population, especially the large concentration of people in Honolulu, would have been a nearly impossible task without easy access to maritime supply. Poor and underdeveloped, except for its pineapple and sugar plantations, the Hawaiian Islands were heavily dependent on imported food, and virtually all the supplies necessary to support the civilian economy, to say nothing of the massive needs of the military forces, had to be imported. Most supplies came from US ports more than 2,000 miles across the Pacific to the northeast. Estimates of Hawai'i's food supply on the eve of war were on the order of weeks, rather than months.

The utility of Pearl Harbor and the other facilities depended on the local labor force. Moreover, 160,000 of the residents, more than 40 percent of the population, were what the Japanese at the time called doho, meaning "compatriots" (a term embracing ethnic Japanese at home and abroad, regardless of their citizenship.) It must be said that prewar US Army planning for the defense of the islands rated the loyalty of second-generation Japanese (known as nisei) quite high; the Hawaiian Department even recommended recruiting nisei soldiers. Despite the Draconian practices employed on the West Coast, very few Japanese Americans or Japanese nationals attracted the attention of US security authorities-less than 1 percent of Hawai'i's population of Japanese descent were interned. Nevertheless, Japanese planners were hoping for a mass rising of "fellow countrymen" when Imperial forces arrived and planned to make good use of a sizable number of Japanese with Hawaiian experience identified in Japan once the islands were conquered for the Emperor.

What means had America to contest operations against Hawai'i, to supply an expeditionary force there, or to sustain any large-scale operation from the West Coast? Air operations were impossible from the United States against Hawai'i-no bomber or transport plane could fly there fully loaded until the B-29 in mid-1944. As we have seen, an overwhelming Japanese victory at Midway would have left no American carriers to contest a Japanese invasion and taking back Hawai'i, should it fall to Japan, would have required a massive seaborne operation, on a scale the United States could only mount in late 1943. What a prolonged Hawaiian campaign might win for Japan must be assessed against what the diversion of force and effort of a greatly outnumbered fleet would have cost the United States. Without a fleet-in-being operating out of "America's Gibraltar," Pearl Harbor, Hawai'i Territory's capital, Honolulu, and the island of Oahu were not protected from attack. Its principle defense, besides the coastal guns protecting the harbor, were the planes on Oahu's airfields. Even in the age of air power and the capability of aircraft to strike far out to sea and patrol, keeping the planes aloft depended on supply by sea.

The most likely scenario for the final Japanese assault on the Hawaiian Islands would begin with a strong diversion aimed at Oahu and a carrier-covered landing on Hawai'i Island in an effort to secure forward base facilities at Hilo; rapid construction of airfields to support the bombardment of US Army and Navy installations on Oahu would follow, as the Imperial Navy brought its bombers and fighters from the south. A furious series of air battles would be fought, and while the Americans could be expected to do well and the Japanese planes and pilots operating at the end of a painfully thin line of supply, the Americans, without a fleet-in-being to truly threaten the Japanese, would likely not be able to sustain the struggle indefinitely. Spare parts, ammunition, replacement pilots, to say nothing of fuel and new planes, would have to run the gauntlet from the United States and would be most vulnerable as they approached the islands where cargo ships could be intercepted by units of Japan's fleet. If no "rising" had occurred among the Japanese American population, it seems likely that civilian targets on Oahu would be subjected to merciless air attacks and the US fighter force gradually whittled down. There is no doubt that a direct assault on the harbor at Pearl would have been suicidal, and it is likely that the American garrison would have made the northern beaches of Oahu- the most favorable landing sites-quite impregnable to direct assault. But it is possible that elite units of the Imperial Army, such as those used in airborne assaults in Indonesia, could have been employed after the American defenses were hammered by the battleships of Japan once the US air defenses had been suppressed or exhausted. Japan's attacks across the beaches would take terrible casualties in their assaults, but with sufficient fire support from the fleet, they might overwhelm the defenders and force the ignominious surrender of yet another American Pacific bastion.

Nowhere in the Imperial archives can we find a plan to extend the Imperial sweep further eastward, but, while Japanese fleets or squadrons probably could not operate effectively far beyond Hawai'i, occasional raids in force, or lucky cruiser strikes against a few high visibility transports bound for Hawai'i in desperate US efforts to reinforce the islands, could have been very bad for American morale. Also, Japanese submarine raids against the West Coast 2,000-odd miles to the northeast-like the shelling of isolated outposts-surely would have heightened tension there and perhaps even have been of some military utility. Hunting packs of Japanese subs, with supply subs as mother ships, or resupply vessels, might have threatened coastal traffic until long-range patrols were established, as they were in the Atlantic. Deploying a few submarines off Panama could disrupt shipping in a major way, even if they could not stay on station long, while a bold raid on the Panama Canal, employing aircraft carried by Japan's largest submersibles, flown on a one-way mission from close in, loaded with high explosives, could have wreaked havoc were they able to seriously damage even one of the locks; again the threat would likely have tied up even more American forces.

This is true, of course.

Though we can hardly fault IJN planners too much for this: they had a limited number of shots to take, and they prioritized the capital ships in taking those shots. Just as the Americans did at Midway, or the Brits did at Taranto.

(I cannot help but feel that some of this was residue from earlier incarnations of the plan, in which the IJN would be bringing few carriers and air crews.)

Given how large the USN cruiser force was even at the outset, however, I can't help but feel that they could have spared a few more torpedos and bombs for the likes of Phoenix, Raleigh et al. when they had the chance, especially after it was clear the battleline had been worked over.

I'm not blaming the Japanese, I'm blaming the intellectually lazy historians who continue to parrot that nonsense. Another myth that drives me bat shit is the notion that Nimitz committed everything he had at Midway. He didn't, he committed his three operational carriers and sufficient cruisers and destroyers to escort them and that's it and because he needed to commit. The US Pacific Fleet had other cruisers and destroyers that were not assigned to the Midway operation because they were conducting other missions like escorting convoys to Hawaii and the South Pacific. Essentially Nimitz understood the principle of Economy of Force better than Yamamoto.

But these reinforcements would have posed immense problems for American commanders in the coming battle. Hawai'i was not the rich island paradise of the travel brochures and prewar navy recruiting posters; provisioning the troops and feeding the civilian population, especially the large concentration of people in Honolulu, would have been a nearly impossible task without easy access to maritime supply. Poor and underdeveloped, except for its pineapple and sugar plantations, the Hawaiian Islands were heavily dependent on imported food, and virtually all the supplies necessary to support the civilian economy, to say nothing of the massive needs of the military forces, had to be imported. Most supplies came from US ports more than 2,000 miles across the Pacific to the northeast. Estimates of Hawai'i's food supply on the eve of war were on the order of weeks, rather than months.A

And here is the fatal flaw in his scenario. He points out the logistics problems that would plague the Americans while conveniently hand waving them away for the Japanese despite that fact that these problems for the Japanese are an order of magnitude greater. This ultimately the problem with just about every Axis Wank type scenario. You have to hand wave away logistics meaning your ATL belongs in the Writers Forum.

But these reinforcements would have posed immense problems for American commanders in the coming battle. Hawai'i was not the rich island paradise of the travel brochures and prewar navy recruiting posters; provisioning the troops and feeding the civilian population, especially the large concentration of people in Honolulu, would have been a nearly impossible task without easy access to maritime supply. Poor and underdeveloped, except for its pineapple and sugar plantations, the Hawaiian Islands were heavily dependent on imported food, and virtually all the supplies necessary to support the civilian economy, to say nothing of the massive needs of the military forces, had to be imported. Most supplies came from US ports more than 2,000 miles across the Pacific to the northeast. Estimates of Hawai'i's food supply on the eve of war were on the order of weeks, rather than months.A

And here is the fatal flaw in his scenario. He points out the logistics problems that would plague the Americans while conveniently hand waving them away for the Japanese despite that fact that these problems for the Japanese are an order of magnitude greater. This ultimately the problem with just about every Axis Wank type scenario. You have to hand wave away logistics meaning your ATL belongs in the Writers Forum.
Well, I suppose it would be easier to ensure the safety of supplies with an intact carrier force than without one.

Essentially Nimitz understood the principle of Economy of Force better than Yamamoto.

I shudder when I think of how much oil was usellessly burned by bringing along Yamato and the entire First Fleet Main Force, when for all the good they did in the operation they might as well have just stayed in Tokyo Bay.

I shudder when I think of how much oil was usellessly burned by bringing along Yamato and the entire First Fleet Main Force, when for all the good they did in the operation they might as well have just stayed in Tokyo Bay.

Or the four older BBs that were detached and sent north as the "Aleutians Guard Force" - those things were hundreds of miles away from the action that took place up there.

Yeah.

After that passage, the whole essay just jumps off a handwavium cliff, never really reaching bottom. He notes the logistical challenges the U.S. faced in supplying Hawaii, but never never stopped to unerstand just how much more feeble Japan's logistics were. And I don't mean in supplying Oahu. I mean, just the logistics to sustain the force needed to interdict supplies, let alone to even try a landing.

I mean, think about it: the Midway op burned what was a year's worth of pre-war IJN operating fuel reserves (thanks, Yamato). For the US Navy, that was closer to a rounding error.

I recall the first time I read that essay, I had to stop myself from heaving with laughter.

Well, I suppose it would be easier to ensure the safety of supplies with an intact carrier force than without one.

But it's an issue of how far they have they have to bring their supplies. The nearest bases are in the Marshalls and those are pretty bare bones, they are not a source of supply so all supplies are in fact coming from the Home Islands or at best the Marianas. Simply keeping the forces operating around Hawaii supplied with food, ammunition, medicine, and for that matter toilet paper will be a mammoth undertaking.

Or the four older BBs that were detached and sent north as the "Aleutians Guard Force" - those things were hundreds of miles away from the action that took place up there.

Could have at least used them for shore bombardment at Midway. I mean, if IJN doctrine didn't laugh at the idea.

I'm not blaming the Japanese, I'm blaming the intellectually lazy historians who continue to parrot that nonsense. Another myth that drives me bat shit is the notion that Nimitz committed everything he had at Midway. He didn't, he committed his three operational carriers and sufficient cruisers and destroyers to escort them and that's it and because he needed to commit. The US Pacific Fleet had other cruisers and destroyers that were not assigned to the Midway operation because they were conducting other missions like escorting convoys to Hawaii and the South Pacific. Essentially Nimitz understood the principle of Economy of Force better than Yamamoto.
In Zimm's Attack on Pearl Harbor, he talks about the prioritization of targets. The Val dive-bombers first priority was carriers, if in port, and then cruisers. With no carriers being present, you would have thought that the Val's would have decimated the USN cruiser force. Instead, they decided to attack the USS Nevada, which they couldn't really harm, go figure.

Simply keeping the forces operating around Hawaii supplied with food, ammunition, medicine, and for that matter toilet paper will be a mammoth undertaking.

Which would still be true even if they made the decision to let the entire civilian population starve to death.

I think someone a while back tried to calculate the kind of shipping needed to maintain themselves at Oahu, and it was a frighteningly large share of Japan's merchant marine. Which, of course, had absolutely nothing better to do.

McPherson

Banned
Which would still be true even if they made the decision to let the entire civilian population starve to death.

I think someone a while back tried to calculate the kind of shipping needed to maintain themselves at Oahu, and it was a frighteningly large share of Japan's merchant marine. Which, of course, had absolutely nothing better to do.

Something like 1.2 million tonnes.

Instead, they decided to attack the USS Nevada, which they couldn't really harm, go figure.

I think Nevada surging for the channel (or so they thought) was the equivalent of a red flag in front of a bull. They couldn't help themselves.

If CINCPAC leadership had known what the Vals' orders were, I think Joe Taussig would have got the Medal of Honor instead of a Navy Cross. He likely saved a few cruisers that day.

But it's an issue of how far they have they have to bring their supplies. The nearest bases are in the Marshalls and those are pretty bare bones, they are not a source of supply so all supplies are in fact coming from the Home Islands or at best the Marianas. Simply keeping the forces operating around Hawaii supplied with food, ammunition, medicine, and for that matter toilet paper will be a mammoth undertaking.

Well, with F-S taking place beforehand a greater part of the Navy's resources would already be gathered in the south. With this in mind a "waypoint system" built up for a few months might be feasible.

It was not impossible at all. Even the Kwantung Army, which was known early on for "bending the rules" or even open defiance of Tokyo, was the greatest victim of redeployments to the Pacific. However, Kwantung Army was only tapped after the China Front's reserve had presumably been exhausted to an uncomfortable degree. From mid 1943, the transfer of divisions (smaller units such as brigades and regiments notwithstanding) went as follows:

Total: 26 divisions

Really it was more a function of IGHQ's vacillation, failure to plan for a long war, and bumbling reactions to Allied counteroffensives than it was inter-service rivalry. With the nation committed to a fight to the end, Army-Navy disagreements were not really a factor on that scale anymore.

While that is true those deployments are largely from the Asian Mainland to the defence of Japan either the home Islands, Taiwan, or the PI in 44 when it is clear that the IJN strategy for dealing with the US has failed. The more limited, in dribs and drabs deployments earlier are either to the Solomons or New Guinea, where they basically starve.

The 43 deployments are made after the failure of the Guadalcanal campaign and the allied approach to New Britain and include the Truk garrison. There is a world of difference between that and releasing force in 42 to extend what is seen to be a protective flank.

And once again no shipping to move or supply them at distance whether or not IGHQ agrees.

There is no reason why IGHQ cannot decide that the strategy is to do the landgrab in SE Asia to secure the Southern Resource area. Minimise the forces used in China and extend the Island perimeter as far as possible in order to maximise American casualties and win that way. But it is not the basis on which they undertook the war and not one the IJN had considered as necessary pre war.

OR

To conduct the Vast Sweeping Scythe Like Movements across the South Pacific capturing Samoa, Palmyra and eventually Hawaii. except the lack of men, and shipping necessary for such an operation. Also fuel, supplies and presumably some Americans would have shot back. One good kick and the whole rotten edifice will collapse obviously.

As it is with the commitments of OTL you can move basically an RCT at a time, and you only have three disposable.

Given he may or may not know that Saratoga and Wasp were in the area would he have been willing to take the chance and attack the transports after finishing off the cruisers? Could the U.S. respond? Finally, assuming loss of some or most of the transports what effect would this have had on WATCHTOWER?

Well if he goes after the transports he gets some as the others presumably scatter but that requires 20/20 hindsight. At the time Mikawa has very limited knowledge of what is going on or US intentions and has just won a signal victory. The US forces have been ashore for 24 hours which is plenty of time to have unloaded everything valuable. So he sinks some transports.

The risk if there are carriers ( and unless the USN has provided no air cover at all there will have been yesterday) nearby is his CA will get caught in daylight for sinking some transports that may or may not be loaded.

A few days later its clear that was the wrong decision but not so wrong that he does not remain in command until the Bismarck sea. His Cruisers have a leading part to play in the Decisive Battle after all.

That sounds not too far off. That would be something like one fifth of the whole, right?
About. In fact, if that calculation is accurate it would be 50% more than the IJA General Staff's 1941 estimate for the needs of supplying 22 divisions in a war with the USSR across the Sea of Japan (800,000 tons).