On 22 August 1922 Collins set out from Cork City on a circuitous tour of West Cork. He passed first through Macroom then took the Bandon road via Crookstown. This led through Béal na Bláth, an isolated crossroads. There they stopped at a local pub named 'Long's Pub', now known as The Diamond Bar, to ask a question of a man standing at the crossroad. The man turned out to be an anti-Treaty sentry. He and an associate recognised Collins in the back of the open-top car.

As a result, an ambush was laid by an anti-Treaty column at that point, on the chance that the convoy might come through again on their return journey.

Between 7:30 and 8PM, Collins' convoy approached Béal na Bláth for the second time. By then most of the ambush party had dispersed and gone for the day, leaving just five or six men on the scene. Two were disarming a mine in the road, while three on a laneway overlooking them, provided cover. A dray cart, placed across the road, remained at the far end of the ambush site.

The Irregulars in the laneway opened fire with rifles on the convoy. Emmet Dalton ordered the driver of the touring car to 'drive like hell', Collins replied to the demand with support "Jesus Christ, they are tearing us apart."

After a minute of fire, the ambush failed and the convoy was on its was back. Collins was unharmed in this whole situation.
More...?

Last edited:
Collins: A Welcome Back.
Roughly 2 hours after the ambush, The convoy made it back to Dublin. Collins headed towards his office, once he entered his office; he didn't even switch on the light and he just sat down at his seat in the darkness and just came to grip at what just happened. He Took of his hat and fling it at the coat hanger, he missed and he only grunted and sat back. It was at that moment his fiancée burst thought the door, put on the lights and threw herself at Collins. His eyes was shocked by the sudden present of lights and he said in calm voice "Christ kitty, You practically blinded me." She was hugging her future husband for dear life and muttered out behind her tears "I nearly lost you." Collins hugged her back and told her that everything will be alright but as soon as the two were together. A soldier walked in and said "Someone would li..." The soldier just realized kitty and apologized " Sorry Sir, I come ba..." But he was interrupted by Collins. "Ah its alright,just my fiancée strangling me." Collins replied with a smirk. Kitty's face lit up as she giggled. Collins then say "So, what was you wanted to say." the soldier then said "Someone would like to see you." "its the king then you can tell him to fuck off." Collins jokily said. The soldier was holding back laughter from that last remark but he said "No, It's Mr Cosgrave." "Let him in so." ordered in Collins. Kitty and soldier left and not a moment later, Cosgrave entered the room and Cosgrave greeted Collins. "There's the big fellow." Collins stood up and shaked hands with the prime minster. "No one can kill even if they bloody tried." Both the men laughed and then both of them sat down and Collins said in a calm yet serious voice. "So, Lets get down to business."
More...?

Collins: A Welcome Back.
Roughly 2 hours after the ambush, The convoy made it back to Dublin. Collins headed towards his office, once he entered his office; he didn't even switch on the light and he just sat down at his seat in the darkness and just came to grip at what just happened. He Took of his hat and fling it at the coat hanger, he missed and he only grunted and sat back. It was at that moment his fiancée burst thought the door, put on the lights and threw herself at Collins. His eyes was shocked by the sudden present of lights and he said in calm voice "Christ kitty, You practically blinded me." She was hugging her future husband for dear life and muttered out behind her tears "I nearly lost you." Collins hugged her back and told her that everything will be alright but as soon as the two were together. A soldier walked in and said "Someone would li..." The soldier just realized kitty and apologized " Sorry Sir, I come ba..." But he was interrupted by Collins. "Ah its alright,just my fiancée strangling me." Collins replied with a smirk. Kitty's face lit up as she giggled. Collins then say "So, what was you wanted to say." the soldier then said "Someone would like to see you." "its the king then you can tell him to fuck off." Collins jokily said. The soldier was holding back laughter from that last remark but he said "No, It's Mr Cosgrave." "Let him in so." ordered in Collins. Kitty and soldier left and not a moment later, Cosgrave entered the room and Cosgrave greeted Collins. "There's the big fellow." Collins stood up and shaked hands with the prime minster. "No one can kill even if they bloody tried." Both the men laughed and then both of them sat down and Collins said in a calm yet serious voice. "So, Lets get down to business."
More...?

Please more!