Collaborative Worldbuilding Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
pZSWNDy.png

Added more to the Southern Continent, and more the Northern Continent. Added a another see and a few more rivers on the Southern Continent and started to make a few main rivers on the Northern Continent.

I'd say the river with the delta draining into the inland sea on the Southern continent would be home to the first civilization, but that might not be the case if humans develop on a continent far away from it. Which continent do humans evolve on? Modern humans, not humans in general. Or does another sentient species dominate? Are multiple present?
Perhaps multiple.

[EDIT]
Topographic key:

DARK GREEN......everything below 200 meters of elevation
LIGHT GREEN.....200 to 500 m
YELLOW...........500 to 1,000 m
BROWN............1000 to 2000 m
PURPLE............2000 to 3000 m
WHITE............above 3000 m
[/EDIT]

Whoops, I came up with some topography independently of the river-drawing. It'll probably be quite a bit of trouble to reconcile these.
EDIT: Never mind, it doesn't really contradict Fox-Fire's verbal description.
ffworldtopo1.png

Last edited:
I could see more land in the bottom and the right side of the map. I would keep the center and the upper-left as ocean, so that the map doesn't look too crowded.

Hm. So, I'm not good with global maps. I prefer building cultures. I'll be here for whatever else you guys may need, though. :p

Mind if I join? I'd like to develop the begining of a continent in the right side of the map.

I'll work on it and upload it later.

I was thinking since the beginning that if we have more people wishing to participate in making the map(s) than we have map(s) we can always go for a Nordic or Mapuche style view of the cosmos and include more worlda's.

Progress:

Collaborative Worldbuilding Project.png

@shai , I corrected some of the zig-zaging you seemed worried about. I hope I haven't changed too much from your original idea which I found excellent.

Folks, what do you all think?

How are cultures coming along? It isn't pressure, take as much time as you need, I wanted to know simply because I might be able to collaborate with something.

@shai , I corrected some of the zig-zaging you seemed worried about. I hope I haven't changed too much from your original idea which I found excellent.

View attachment 299083

How are cultures coming along? It isn't pressure, take as much time as you need, I wanted to know simply because I might be able to collaborate with something.

It looks good! What species are in this world and what continent did humans evolve on?

View attachment 299083

It looks really good.

It looks good! What species are in this world and what continent did humans evolve on?

In relation to species, I will give a lot of free reign, I would say all modern animals and then some original creations which can be magical in nature or not. Just please don't fill the place with dinosaurs, some are fine though.

About humanity: in OTL the first modern human fossils were found in Ethiopia around 10°N, that means that humankind must have evolved somewhere around the either the first parallel in the map north from the Equator or the first parallel south of the Equator. We could go with the large horizontal river in the west for example (unless someone more knowledgeable corrects me, which I would greatly appreciate). However, if we find it too inconvenient to have a place with the same characteristics of a grassy savannah that prehistoric Ethiopia had, we could go with a mythic origin and then have humanity spread from there.

EDIT: Now that I better think about it, the last age was preceded by a cataclysm, think about something like the Toba super-volcano eruption which created a great bottleneck in human population, so, you are free to play with where the survivors existed in larger groups and therefore from where they expanded.

Last edited:
I was thinking since the beginning that if we have more people wishing to participate in making the map(s) than we have map(s) we can always go for a Nordic or Mapuche style view of the cosmos and include more worlda's.

Progress:
Here's a cosmic map I've been considering. There are ten worlds (the black dots), and five spells (the colors of the lines between them) used to transport one from one to another.
10worlds.png

On any given world, two of the five spells are nonfunctional, and casting a single spell twice in succession always takes you back where you started. For a civilization that knows only three of the spells, the cosmos is divided into two unequal parts, inaccessible from each other. If you know only two, the cosmos is divided into four parts, of which one is only a single world.

Here's a cosmic map I've been considering

@Codae , that's a fantastic idea, great work! Perhaps we can combine it with upper and lower planes and maybe even other celestial bodies, but that might come much later.

Meanwhile, I'll work in some of the species which survived the cycles of death and rebirth in the world and the cataclysm, meaning they are still around.

Here's a cosmic map I've been considering. There are ten worlds (the black dots), and five spells (the colors of the lines between them) used to transport one from one to another.

I like this. Do you have any unique ideas for any of these worlds, or all they all going to be earth-like?

I like this. Do you have any unique ideas for any of these worlds, or all they all going to be earth-like?

I-m thinking about the same thing now and have several plans for either option. Of course speaking with all of you to make something better of course.

In the meantime I present you:

The Exalted Wolves:

These are large mammals with lupine appearance, save for their much longer ears and tail, that are said to have lived alongside humanity since mankind first started organizing into bands. The Exalted Wolves differ from their common cousins in several points. First and foremost is the size, being able to grow in some instances to be larger than polar bears.

The second physical characteristic noted is their distinct tail, around four and a half times the length of the body and reptilian in appearance if it wasn't for its fur. This appendage allows them to be prodigious swimmers thanks to the extremely developed muscles that form it.

Subtler is their flexibility, much more than even a cat or a cheetah, and their long lifespan, comparable to a person. While most Exalted Wolves don't live to their full lifespan, a rare occurrence before modern medicine, the ones that do keep growing for most of it and don't decay or come down with sicknesses before their very last years.

Nonetheless, what most assuredly made them companions for humankind is their great intelligence, memory and capacity to solve applied problems They are often observed using primitive tools such as sticks and rocks thanks to their two opposable digits in each of their forelimbs. Beyond this, their extremely acute senses played a vital role in humankind's predominance amongst others competitors.

They have appeared at least in every human-inhabited region of the world and are prominent features in religion and folklore. Many cultures consider them sacred animals and close companions more than assets, of commerce, war and otherwise. A common representation of this is a God or Goddess of the poor or the common people with characteristics or associated with Exalted Wolves.

This hasn't stopped the use of them as military units throughout all known history and in almost every region in the world. Wild Exalted Wolves' packs are often able to not only bring down, but tear apart lonely elephants even if the lupines haven't reached their full size. This is thanks to their intelligence.

It is believed that these animals consider humans part of their pack when there is deep associations between them.

*Not so much information so as not to limit your creativity.

I was envisioning all of them Earth-like, serving as an opportunity for people to keep contributing maps even as we move on to filling out other details of the setting. My supposition is that the one we're working on now has the only technologically advanced civilization, while the others have maintained a more central place for magic even in the post-cataclysm era.

I was envisioning all of them Earth-like, serving as an opportunity for people to keep contributing maps even as we move on to filling out other details of the setting. My supposition is that the one we're working on now has the only technologically advanced civilization, while the others have maintained a more central place for magic even in the post-cataclysm era.

That was also my original intent. It offers the opportunity to have some of the extinct species and civilizations still existing in some form too.

Status
Not open for further replies.