Collaborative Worldbuilding Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
By all means, go ahead. I'll be busy during the next week because of my vacations but I'll try to help revive this after.

Isaac Beach

Banned
I see... hmm. Jarvien was supposed a few pages back... I don't think a planet would end in 'ien' though. Jarvus? Jarvi? I'll think on it.

Hello. I'm back after a while. Is there still any interest for this project?
It seems to be that whenever a collaborative worldmaking thing starts up, people make a basemap and maybe a climate/topography basemap and then support peters out.

It seems to be that whenever a collaborative worldmaking thing starts up, people make a basemap and maybe a climate/topography basemap and then support peters out.

Now that you mention it, it really seems like a trend and that is why Jaredia managed to live for so long. It didn't need that phase.

Now that you mention it, it really seems like a trend and that is why Jaredia managed to live for so long. It didn't need that phase.

So... do you think we can make a new thread for this project with a greater focus on cultures and history? It'd be like pushing the reset button, only we are already at the phase where Jaredia was when it began, if not further.

So... do you think we can make a new thread for this project with a greater focus on cultures and history? It'd be like pushing the reset button, only we are already at the phase where Jaredia was when it began, if not further.

We need a correct, complete climate map first.

Building cultures and such is generally what makes for the bulk of worldbuilding. You could start a thread with a planet complete with all but the cultures, civilizations (even flora & fauna distribution) and my guess is that it would pick up immediately.

Okay, thank you. This is the last, revised map of the world: the northern continent is slightly different:

ffworldtopo4-png.303788

Most people you would want to recruit for a collaborative world-building project would be more interested in the creation of cultures and history (battles, empires etc.) and interest in geology, geography, ecology, and that general side of world-building is a bit less interesting in a collaborative setting.

I've seen it on this forum and in many other places, the projects are most lively when everyone is making their own cultures and having them interact with each other. When you're stuck on iterating upon a dead lifeless planet, fewer people are interested.

I guarantee you come up with a planet with a fully realized geology and ecology and people will jump in right away with their longstanding ideas for fictional cultures and try to fit them into your planet. Things only get more creative and interesting when there are already constraints to work around, such as a pre-existing planet.

So finish the climate and ecology of this particular world and when you relaunch it have it so that everyone can start by creating and placing their own cultures and civilizations. You'll have a lot more participation than if we were building a world from scratch. Like if you gave someone a empty city of legos to fill with life and play around with, rather than just a pile of bricks.

You should probably relaunch it in shared worlds, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.