Collaborative Worldbuilding Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can help you create a phonology if need be. In fact, feel free to PM me for advice, I've created plenty of conlangs in my time. ;)
Thank you! I've been watching linguist youtubers like Artifexian (God bless his channel's soul) and Xidnaf, but I still don't understand the IPA.
Anyway, here's what I've got so far. Don't know who will use it, perhaps a civilization on Oedinus or Balkas.
Here it is:

HOW TO SPEAK YAPUT

A Conlang

Yaput is a constructive language I am making for fictional purposes.

Part 1: The Basics

VOWELS

Ah

Ih

Uu

DIPTHONGS

Au

Ua

Ao

Oa

CONSONANTS

F

P

D

T

G

K

N

M

Y

Part 2: Phonotactics

1. Yaput is a C V (V) (C) language.

2. All vowels and diphthongs are allowed in the nucleus of a syllable.

3. All consonants are allowed in the onset of a syllable EXCEPT t, f, and m.

4. All consonants are allowed in the coda of a syllable EXCEPT d, p, and n.

5. Y will not cluster with diphthongs.

6. G and T will not cluster with monothongs.

Part 3: The Structure of Words

Most Yaput words are made using roots, prefixes and suffixes.

A root is a grouping of an onset and a coda which tells you what topic the word is in. For example, P_G is the root implying holiness. You can find this root in Pougmu, the word for temple, as well as many other words. This system is similar to the languages of Hebrew or Arabic in OTL.

Prefixes and Suffixes work the same way in English, where they modify the word.

Last edited:
This would be Yaput in IPA:
Vowels: a, ɪ, ʊ
Diphtongs: aʊ, ʊa, ao(?), oa (?)
Consonants:
  • Labial: m, p, f
  • Alveolar: n, t, d
  • Palatal: j
  • Velar: k, g
Some example words: puakyik, pudu, nu, kaokif, kuyao, na, yauk, yipifnua, ka, kaguamyuf

The phonology is a little irregular, but that doesn't make it a bad conlang.

...no actual conlang here, just the sound "tch", most easily pronounced as part of "Dtcha". May be pronounced either: c͡ç, c, or d͡ʑ. It's a cool sound.

Oor it's ᵗtʃ somehow.

Atlayah language

Phonology

Consonants

/p t k q ʔ/ <p t k q '>
/t͡θ t͡s t͡ɬ t͡ʃ/ <tþ ts tl tš>
/θ s ɬ ʃ χ h/ <þ s l š x h>
/m n ŋ/ <m n ng>
/ɾ/ <r>
/j w/ <y w>

Vowels

Low tone

/ì ù/ <i u>
/ə̀/ <e>
/à/ <a>

High tone

/í ú/ <í ú>
/ə́/ <é>
/á/ <á>

Phonotactics

CVC

Nouns

- neutral alignment
- indirective ditransitive alignment
- two classes (Animate vs Inanimate)
- no cases
- no number
- possessive affixes
- demonstrative phrasal clitics

Verbs

- double marking (subject/agent and object are affixed)
- two aspects (imperfective, perfective)
- three tenses (past remote, past proper, non-past)
- transitivity (intransitive, transitive, causative)
- evidentiality (visual, non-visual, inferential, reported) affixed on verb
- analytic moods with modal verbs
- class not affixed

Adjectives

- adjectives are replaced by verbs and descriptive nouns
- adverbs derived from verbs have special ending

Numerals

- decimal system

Pronouns

- M-T pronouns
- Class marked on 3rd person pronouns

Adpositions

- postpositions

Syntax

- SOV
- Describing word - Described word

Examples

Rumayah, Þarah, Hareš, Retšqum, Qoterah, Armayum, Makayah, Kahrawah, Tšerkin, Ereshkat, Naqut,
Kawiyah, Šawih, Išpatþant, Arattah, Hutlah, Tlamšat, Etlarum, Aqšašin, Quttayat, Karkunah, Potšurat,
Sahtat, Ahtliyah, Tukkut, Numarat, Yeqtatum, Lutah, Hitlah, Mahitartum, Terešit, Šeriwah, Wahsatum,
Warintat, Awarum, Keriyašat, Tuššarah, Harrayah, Yaquwat, Yatarum, Suþikum, Þuriyah, Tarahuštiyah,
Saqalpatum, Parisarat, Niqqumat, Tuturmaqiyah, Arapeš, Intahuparah, Pipiliyah, Paþurat, Tþarmatah

Last edited:
Is this enough for a TL of events. Feel free to ask for information and for it to be modified.

Timeline

The timeline of the world during most of history was divided in two periods with the Cataclysm in the middle as a separator. However, it is now known that the Cataclysm itself wasn’t an instantaneous event and that it lasted enough to be a period on its own.

Before the Cataclysm: B.C.

- This is the longest period in the history of the universe and the one which is known less about.

- Dates are counted backwards with the first year being the last one.

- This age has been characterized by a series of smaller cataclysms and their aftershocks.

- The smaller cataclysms were more or less periodic although this wasn’t a clockwork system. The cataclysms could arrive centuries or millennia later.

- These cataclysms and aftershocks delayed or restarted the technology from a middle to low base.

During the Cataclysm: D.C.

- Dates are counted forward with the first year being the first.

1 D.C.: The Great Cataclysm happens.

Approx. 10 D.C.: The most algid part of the Cataclysm itself ends. Humanity has been reduced to less than a 10.000 individuals.

Approx. 10.000 D.C.: The first and largest aftershock, dozens more would follow.

Approx. 25.000 D.C.: Agriculture is adopted in-masse again.

Approx. 32.000 D.C.: The first civilizations during the Cataclysm rise again.

Approx. 32.500 D.C.: The odyssey of the First Peoples in The Far Lands Through the Looking Glass arrives at the Heart-of-the-World Island.

*The dates between these two are to be detailed later in summaries about the Far Lands Through the Looking Glass.

49.046 D.C.: The last descendant of Kyieimn dies in the Red Crescent Shaped City, ending the direct legacy of the Eternal Empyreal Empire.

49.678 D.C.: The Green Chronicler dies. The primary sources of the Far Lands Through the Looking Glass end.

Approx. 50.400 D.C.: The chronology of the books known as The Line Between Day and Night ends, signalling the end of this cycle of human civilization with a prodigiously powerful aftershock.

After the Cataclysm: A.C.

- This is the current age.

- Dates are counted forward with the first year being the first.

Approx. 5.000 A.C.: Agriculture is adopted in-masse again.

Approx. 12.000 A.C.: The first civilizations after the Cataclysm rise again.

15.550 A.C.: Chlohe is elevated to the position of Doristran.

The Far Lost Lands Through the Looking Glass

The history narrated in the book starts with a long preamble which is unfortunately mostly lost to the sands of time. On the surviving fragments there are invocations for protection by the gods, calls to them for inspiration and help in completing the task of finishing the books, but most importantly, some details of what the authors believed to be a reconstruction of the original language of the EEE during its golden age.

This language is nothing like any other language spoken ever since as it contains more symbols than ten times as much as the next most complex logogrammatic system known. Several other writing systems are intertwined to form it completely, including the largest alphabet known and several others that haven’t been able to be identified as even abugidas, abjads or alphabets. Why such a complex and impractical language was needed and used remains a mystery to this day, but it is at least known with certainty that the authors considered this as only one language. The same could be concluded by modern sources as all forms are used at the same time and sometimes even in small calligrams which seem to acquire different meanings and form phrases and even paragraphs on their own. How such as script was preserved raises tremendous doubts about its authenticity, nonetheless, why would the (first civilization)* need and create a whole new script only for these purpose and initial chapters?

The books start with the history proper about the mythic foundation of a city in the Heart-of-the-World Island. Most of its content is lost along with the initial name (of many) of the city and the purpose of its existence as the people that founded it made a tremendous journey in search of the place. The odyssey is thought to be narrated in a long external analepsis, unfortunately, it has been completely lost along with the original place from which the people came from, a series of maps of the known world at the time and the lands that would form the EEE at the time.

Next there are a series of disjointed chapters and episodes narrating several cycles of expansion and contraction of the EEE, at the time named in with other titles, most of them lost in time or seemingly meaningless due to the lack of context. It is hinted that many of these cycles were born not only out of internal strife, many were although not all, but out of smaller aftershocks. This is the reason why it is so important that many of the maps were from different times in the history of the EEE, because the lands drastically changed shape during and after.

After them is the period in which the EEE rose definitively, conquering and assimilating father than ever before. Here the books start having segments written in native EEE and thus impossible to read, but still are the most detailed together with the next section.

The golden age of the EEE follows next, being an extremely detailed tale of everything in the empire, from the daily life of all social classes and their customs to the nature of the world at the time; very different to the one currently even with the incipient rebirth of magic. As the books approach their end they become written more and more in EEE language and centre more on individuals and shorter periods of time. These accounts can be broken into several periods of time named after the main series of volumes that composed them:

- The Days of the Rising Force: It narrates the period of fastest and most lasting conquest on the history of the empire.

- A Dream of Sempiternal Spring: The days when the Empire was in its first golden age.

- The Black Mover: It tells the history of the empire from the First Fall of the Capital to the end of the Black Mover’s reign. This is the history of the rising of what wasn’t said to be a man nor neither anything else, in others words a legendary figure, as it installed a new form of government (First Great Reformation) with it at top reigning from the shadows. This can be considered the best part of the golden age and here are the first precise dates with which everything else in the books is calculated. The reign of this figure is said to have lasted 825 years.

- When Silence calls the Storm: The aftermath of the disappearance of the Black Mover, the anarchy that followed and the Second Great Reformation of the Empire. The consequences of it and the less significant expansion also are found in these tomes. The empire here reached its greatest extent but also its greatest decentralization on its middle and farther lands.

- The Last Autumn: Here is found the destruction of the Heart-of-the-World Island into several smaller ones, the end of the expansion and with it the loss of the most distant territories. The empire never fully recovered.

- The Lies of the Heavens about the Winter: In these tomes are written the waning days of the empire, the Third Great Reformation and several catastrophes which ended the hope of expansion such as the Drying of the Five Seas.

- The Times before the Moons and the Suns and the Stars fell from the Sky: The empire finds its demise as decays settles in. It is broken into several, competing states to be finally exiled into a foreign territory where the last government fades into the sands of time, unrecognized and forgotten by everyone.

- The Last Sun of Winter: It tells the tales of several semi-legendary conquerors that tried to bring back the glory of the EEE, some with some transitory success.

- The Crows’ Dreams of a New Spring: The attempts of the decaying kingdoms to unearth what caused the destruction in The Last Autumn.

- The Line Between Day and Night: The world comes to the closing of a cycle; an aftershock destroys most of the civilized world. Everything else fades.

Kaorah language

Phonology

Consonants

/t k ʔ/ <t k '>
/tʰ kʰ/ <th kh>
/tʼ kʼ/ <t' k'>
/t͡s/ <c>
/t͡sʰ/ <ch>
/t͡sʼ/ <c'>
/s/ <s>
/sʰ h/ <sh h>
/sʼ/ <s'>
/n ŋ/ <n g>
/nʰ ŋʰ/ <nh gh>
/nʼ ŋʼ/ <n' g'>
/ɾ/ <r>

Vowels

Low tone

/ì ù/ <ie uo>
/ɪ̀ ʊ̀/ <i u>
/è ò/ <e o>
/à ɒ̀/ <a ao>

High tone

/í ú/ <íe úo>
/ɪ́ ʊ́/ <í ú>
/é ó/ <é ó>
/á ɒ́/ <á áo>

Vocalic harmony

1. Group: /i u e o/
2. Group: /ɪ ʊ a ɒ/

Phonotactics

CVC

Nouns

- ergative-absolutive alignment
- secundative ditransitive alignment
- definite and indefinite article
- no gender
- no number
- four cases (Absolutive, Ergative, Dative, Genitive)
- possessive affixes

Verbs

- ergative-absolutive alignment
- three voices (passive, causative, antipassive)
- dependent marking (object affixed)
- three aspects (imperfective, iterative, perfective)
- evidentiality (from first hand vs from other hand)
- four moods (Indicative, Conditional, Potentional, Jussive)
- no tenses

Adjectives

- adjectives are distinct class with special ending
- adjectives have intensivity instead degrees of comparison (strong, balanced, weak)

Numerals

- decimal base with auxilliary base with 'five'.

Pronouns

- N-M pronouns
- Honorifics added to pronouns

Adpositions

- prepositions

Syntax

- SVO
- Describing word - Described word

Examples

1. Group: /i u e o/
2. Group: /ɪ ʊ a ɒ/

Ghaosha /ŋʰɒ̀sʰà/, Aoraka /ʔɒ̀ɾàkà/, T'ikunha' /tʼɪ̀kʊ̀nʰà/, N'emo' /nʼèmòʔ/, Atkáormah /ʔàtkɒ́ɾmàh/, Úha'tah /ʔʊ́hàtàh/,
Súogh /súŋʰ/, Nhiri /nʰɪ̀ɾɪ̀/, Shas'ah /sʰàsʼàh/, Onomah /ʔònòmàh/, Cieneh /t͡sìnèh/, Artha'mah /ʔàɾtʰàʔmàh/, Thieroh /tʰìɾòh/,
Tonh /tònʰ/, Mietuonhen /mìtùnʰèn/, Iekhor /ʔìkʰòɾ/, Isut'ah /ʔɪ̀sʊ̀tʼàh/, Harao'man /hàɾɒ̀ʔmàn/, Chírí /t͡sʰíɾí/, Khuochenh /kʰùt͡sʰènʰ/,
T'ieghrah /tʼìŋʰɾàh/

Is this dead?
Is there any way we can save it?
Have we finally run out of ideas?
Is anyone even interested anymore?
If not, I'll move on. Just curious.

Is this dead?
Is there any way we can save it?
Have we finally run out of ideas?
Is anyone even interested anymore?
If not, I'll move on. Just curious.

It's wierd. Every project like this just runs out of steam. Unfortunately, I can't say that that I'm still interested. I just don't have any ideas to contribute. :frown:

Isaac Beach

Banned
May I utilise the map? I will respect and wholly utilise the lore already brought together, if that helps. I'd hate for such a fantastic piece of worldbuilding to go to complete waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.