Collaborative Project: Lets Build A Planet (All Welcome)

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by reesetelford9, Jul 13, 2016.

?

What shall we name this world?

Poll closed Aug 2, 2016.
  1. Croatoa

12.5%
  2. Jahnia

4.2%
  3. Sbornaja

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sborna

20.8%
  5. Atka

45.8%
  6. Atkonartok

4.2%
  7. Tekkeitsertok

4.2%
  8. Irdlirvirisissong

8.3%
  1. Novoscotia Well-Known Member

I like the fallen empire idea. But I'm not sure if we want to have fantasy elements or not. I was under the impression that it is a realistic world.

2. Aquagel8last320 ...

YAS

3. Alligator Never go full Dandolo

Well, the longevity and the monsters could be explained by the fact that its an alien planet. The creatures wouldn't actually have godlike powers, but they might be perceived as gods by the people settling the area.

4. Falkanner Armchair Cartographer

Maybe the fantasy elements are poorly-attested. Anyone studying this world's history can choose whether or not they believe it. As long as we don't make a "kitchen sink" of fantasy cliches, I'm fine with it. :)

5. Alligator Never go full Dandolo

Suggestion for the fallen empire, which is actually four different political spheres.

The red area is the main part of the empire, a sort of Phoenicia-Sumeria-Indus Valley area where wheat is domesticated, and city states and empires form, but they don't actually have many of their own resources, leading to widespread trade for both metal ore and spices.

They trade with the green, sort of "Celtic tribal" area which has copper, tin, and iron mines, to actually allow their Bronze age to occur. The green area is not owned by the empire, but the chiefdoms there fight over the rights to trade with the advanced eastern civilization.

The blue area grows spices, which starts this world's "Indian Ocean trade", and these spices are traded by the upper classes throughout the world. This area has its own alliance of trading city states.

The yellow area is a separate empire which borrows many of the early civilization aspects (wheat, the wheel, etc.) from the red area, but then invents writing independently and also domesticates another major crop, creating another cultural sphere. They have to trade for spices indirectly through the red area.

This state of affairs is destroyed by an interglacial period, or a massive volcanic eruption that launches dust in the atmosphere, so many of the details are lost to later civilizations. However some of the bronze age technology, and ruins of pyramids and roads, survive, as well as the memory of trade with faraway countries.

earthlike.png

6. reesetelford9 Freiherr of South Cymru

I support this with every single bit of my conscious mind.

7. Novoscotia Well-Known Member

I love this idea. I think it would be interesting if this extinction event was cyclical, and happened every few thousand years or so. Maybe every ten thousand years the earth becomes much colder, killing crops and changing the course of rivers so civilization collapses and people go back to nomadic/ hunter gatherer lifestyles. Then after a few thousand years the world goes back to normal and people build civilization back up again. Maybe this has already happened a few times before, so that the history of the planet actually stretches back much further than realized.

reesetelford9 and Alligator like this.
  8. Aquagel8last320 ...

yiss

9. Novoscotia Well-Known Member

Btw, just so we're all on the same page, this is the most recent map that is color-corrected collaborative project (3) (2).png

10. Aquagel8last320 ...

Here come the likes!
    [​IMG]

11. Novoscotia Well-Known Member

Damn, this is incredible!

12. Alligator Never go full Dandolo

Some semi-realistic ideas for region names.

earthlike.png

13. Aquagel8last320 ...

AmericanAdam likes this.
  14. Alligator Never go full Dandolo

Well they're just suggestions, so they can be changed. But I think we should have easily pronounceable names as opposed to the usual fantasy names like "Gr'Chn'Xra" or "Quizz'z'Maroth".

15. Aquagel8last320 ...

that is the other extreme.

16. Doctor President Sir Astronaut Esquire

I don't think we should have a lot of names ending in -ia, this isn't Earth and there is no Latin language. Especially 'Polanesia'.

17. Aquagel8last320 ...

IKR. [everyone like this if agree]

18. Alligator Never go full Dandolo

Greek, Turkish, Latin, and Arabic did independently evolve the -ia or -iyya ending, though, and many Indian languages also have -i for a demonym, if not a place. Altaic languages also have -ai for some placenames. I think it would still arise on an alternate world.

19. Aquagel8last320 ...

but not nearly to this extent.

20. Alligator Never go full Dandolo

True but like I said, they're just suggestions.