Collaborative Project: Lets Build A Planet (All Welcome)

What shall we name this world?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The map was getting darker each time someone edited it, so I went through and made it all the same color.
collaborative project (3).png

I think we've pretty much wrapped up the major areas of the map, people can still add things but we've got all the major continents covered.
Where should we head from here? Mapping out the first few civilizations? Our Indus Valley. Or should we have a discussion on the sentient species(s) in the world.

Where should we head from here? Mapping out the first few civilizations? Our Indus Valley. Or should we have a discussion on the sentient species(s) in the world.
I would suggest mapping the rivers and climate first. Where are the mountains, deserts, or forests? And what are the major rivers on each continent? I think that we need that before we start making civilizations.

First I think we should work on stuff like mountain ranges, climate, and currents. Then we can map out the basic migrations of sentient peoples and how they spread over the world, so we have an idea of where everything is and how it developed into civilzation. We could also do a more top-down approach like "there should be a certain civilization in this region" and then work on making the mountains and climates so that it all makes sense.

I would suggest mapping the rivers and climate first. Where are the mountains, deserts, or forests? And what are the major rivers on each continent? I think that we need that before we start making civilizations.
First I think we should work on stuff like mountain ranges, climate, and currents. Then we can map out the basic migrations of sentient peoples and how they spread over the world, so we have an idea of where everything is and how it developed into civilzation. We could also do a more top-down approach like "there should be a certain civilization in this region" and then work on making the mountains and climates so that it all makes sense.
I like the top down outlook. It may allow us to define the world much easier along with the evolution of said world. I can say though I may not be the best when it comes to mountain ranges and currents but I could take a shot at climates.

I made a crude map of likely ocean currents, I'm not an expert on this but I think currents would probably look like this:
collaborative project currents.png

Areas around warm (red) currents would generally be more rainy and fertile, while areas around cool (blue) currents would generally be more arid.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93645

What if it had something like the Mediterranean sea when it completely dried up on the south continent? Ive never seen it done on maps like this before.

That would be interesting. Perhaps the two inland seas on the southern continent were once connected, with a massive salt flat/dried up inland sea in the middle.

I think there should be just humans, or if there is another sentient species, have only one of them and it's a sort of cryptid/partially mythical type of species.

I think we want this planet to be warmer and less icy than Earth. Otherwise most of the northern and southern continent are going to be uninhabitable, and it will be more arid as well.

I think there should be just humans, or if there is another sentient species, have only one of them and it's a sort of cryptid/partially mythical type of species.
I like that concept. It would work with how man secluded islands there are.

I'll make a rough climate map when I arrive home. Unless someone jumps on it before I can.

Deleted member 93645

I think we want this planet to be warmer and less icy than Earth. Otherwise most of the northern and southern continent are going to be uninhabitable, and it will be more arid as well.
Perhaps an only slightly warmer planet. Most of the northern and southern areas aren't any closer to the poles than Europe is.

I'm currently working on a climate map, but I have other things, so it may take a while. By the way it looks, there should be a giant steppe in the middle of the southern continent, so if you're planning any Mongol-esque nomadic empires, you know where to put 'em. ;)

I'm currently working on a climate map, but I have other things, so it may take a while. By the way it looks, there should be a giant steppe in the middle of the southern continent, so if you're planning any Mongol-esque nomadic empires, you know where to put 'em. ;)
Goddamned -insert unpronounable name here- Hoards.
Thanks though.

It isn't perfect, but I overlayed the map onto a google earth globe so we can get a better idea of what it would look like.globe world1.jpg
globe world1.jpg
The ocean looks bigger than it would in real life, and the poles are more pinched together than they would be, but its a pretty good projection.

Attachments

• globeworld.jpg
    globeworld.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 414