Cold War:1920s

Okay I have an idea with a rough tl in my head. Basically WW1 is fought with America on the Central powers side. The war ends in 1919 Europe with a Entente victory but America stands victorious in the Americas, occuping Canada and possibly some Caribean islands. How do you think the world would develop? The Europeans are dead exhausted, Russia is in civil war, Germany is possibly as well. If America decides to prosecute the war how would they go about doing it? More likely I think a cold war would develop with a tenuous cease fire. Would America invest in Goddard and push Rocket(and by effect space travel) technology 10, 20, maybe 30 years ahead of its time?

To restate my idea is a cold war with America(and its allies/puppets) versus the British Empire(Minus Canada), the French Empire and possibly Russia, Japan, and others.

Who would support America? Germany possibly, if it can pull itself into a fighting force again. Maybe Japan? America would probably lose their spheres of influence in the Far east quickly so perhaps they could more easily turn a blind eye to Japan uniting Asia. Or maybe Russia, especially a Democratic or Soviet Russia for obvious reasons.

Italy stays with the central powers, They win by late 1917, when France collaspes & Britian pulls out of Europe. GB keeps every thing south of the congo, while Japan & Austrila divide Germany Pacific.

Gemany Controls Europe, Med & north Africa. Britian keeps It's Empire, and Pulls the US into It's orbit, As no Peace treaty is signed between Germany and Britian, a Cold War Devolops between the Two Great Poweres.

Im actually looking more for a entente victory in europe, not central powers. How could the entente win in Europe if they were at war with America? Is it neccessary to have a CSA to Keep the US busy enough to let the Anglo-French beat the Germans?

I've already written a timeline with America on the Central Powers side. A victory for the Entente would be impossible in this scenario. The might of Germany and the USA together? Britain, France, and Russia don't stand a chance in hell.

Eariler Anglo Japanese Treaty, GB invests more in Japan. Japan Buys Salhalkin from Russia in 1915 in return for War Supplies, Japan starts rebuilding the trans Siberian. Shipping Guns, Ammo, & Food along with Fighter Planes and Pilots to the Russian Front. This allows Russia to stay in the War. When the US enters the War, Japan Declares Neutality on the US. Keeping the War out of the Pacific.

Grey Wolf

Donor
DuQuense said:
Eariler Anglo Japanese Treaty, GB invests more in Japan. Japan Buys Salhalkin from Russia in 1915 in return for War Supplies, Japan starts rebuilding the trans Siberian. Shipping Guns, Ammo, & Food along with Fighter Planes and Pilots to the Russian Front. This allows Russia to stay in the War. When the US enters the War, Japan Declares Neutality on the US. Keeping the War out of the Pacific.

Russia won't sell Sakhalin - a defeated Russia might cede it, but a desperate one won't sell it. After all, how much could you get for it ? Its not likely to be much more than raising a loan on the international credit markets. Look at WW1, and all the munitions that in OTL poured into Russia, all on credit. The payment details would be sorted out after victory - which, of course, never came

Grey Wolf

I disagree with you tetsu-katana. How would America effect the Western Front? Yes Canada is not going to be contributing, but the US has no way of resupplying or fighting in Weestern Europe. Im not saying that its impossible for Germany to win, they probably have a better chance than before, but their victory isnt set in stone. It would probably be a much bloodier affair and the ALLies would probably have to bring in as many others nations as possible to support them(Spain, Netherlands, Denmark). The Ottoman Empire could also be on the allied side.

Basically just forget the how for now. I want your opinion of Technology developement, Alliance structures and how the next war might be fought.

Justin Green said:
I disagree with you tetsu-katana. How would America effect the Western Front? Yes Canada is not going to be contributing, but the US has no way of resupplying or fighting in Weestern Europe. Im not saying that its impossible for Germany to win, they probably have a better chance than before, but their victory isnt set in stone. It would probably be a much bloodier affair and the ALLies would probably have to bring in as many others nations as possible to support them(Spain, Netherlands, Denmark). The Ottoman Empire could also be on the allied side.

Basically just forget the how for now. I want your opinion of Technology developement, Alliance structures and how the next war might be fought.

You are right about one thing- American troops won't be fighting in Europe against the Allies. America and Germany's alliance would be pretty much restricted to the seas. But American troops fighting in the Canadas will surely need some British support, tieing up troops that could be fighting in France.

But I see your point. Overall, it's possible. I don't see the total victory over Germany that the Allies got in OTL, but a negotiated peace that somehow affects Germany worse than the rest of the Allies.

Okay. Britain is the strongest power in Europe after the war. The USA, now their enemy, has siezed the whole of Canada and the Bahamas. I suspect a massive naval arms race will follow- much like the one Germany and Britain previously engaged in, but ten times bigger and faster. Overall, this is an arms race I can see the United States easily winning. The two powers will probably fight a war sometime in the late 30's. If it's a naval war, I suspect the United States will win it.

Okay. Britain is the strongest power in Europe after the war. The USA, now their enemy, has siezed the whole of Canada and the Bahamas. I suspect a massive naval arms race will follow- much like the one Germany and Britain previously engaged in, but ten times bigger and faster. Overall, this is an arms race I can see the United States easily winning. The two powers will probably fight a war sometime in the late 30's. If it's a naval war, I suspect the United States will win it.
Seizing Canada? Well getting hold of a decent chunk of it I can imagine but it is pretty large so I don't see how/why the USA would deal with it?
Seizing the Bahamas? You proabably could pull this off but remember 1919 the poms have no High Seas Fleet to worry about and the USN is vastly inferior to the RN...
A wild arms race? Quite likely
A naval war? Well lets see... no Washington treaty so the US Battlescouts (Lexington class) are completed (but since the USA has not had a chance to see the plans so the entire ship is taken up by funnels, I suggest you look here) as are futher Hood class plus the British have their G3 (proto-Nelson) battlecruisers... I don't fancy the chances of a Lexington class against a G3 or Hood class so I would give the USA less chance of winning than demented Yankies may imagine themselves to have...

Cockroach said:
Seizing Canada? Well getting hold of a decent chunk of it I can imagine but it is pretty large so I don't see how/why the USA would deal with it?
Seizing the Bahamas? You proabably could pull this off but remember 1919 the poms have no High Seas Fleet to worry about and the USN is vastly inferior to the RN...
A wild arms race? Quite likely
A naval war? Well lets see... no Washington treaty so the US Battlescouts (Lexington class) are completed (but since the USA has not had a chance to see the plans so the entire ship is taken up by funnels, I suggest you look here) as are futher Hood class plus the British have their G3 (proto-Nelson) battlecruisers... I don't fancy the chances of a Lexington class against a G3 or Hood class so I would give the USA less chance of winning than demented Yankies may imagine themselves to have...

Sieze Canada and the British have no hope of attacking America on land...

Why do you say that the USN was so inferior than the Royal Navy? I don't think so. I also think the United States could win a 1930's naval war against the British for one simple reason- they can easily outproduce the British.

Interesting. What's the ideological split, btw? Imperialism vs. Free trade perhaps?

Maybe you could keep the US out of the Phillippines and Puerto Rico so they'd actually have the moral high ground on the issue.