Cobain Continues Redone: A Kurt Cobain Survives Timeline

(Well, I was thinking then when we get to '98, we have a bit concerning what they do when all the record labels end up merging and many executives lose their jobs. Here, Nirvana are now free agents and have fulfilled their contract with Geffen, which is by now merged into Interscope, the flagship of Universal Music. Jimmy Iovine obviously wants them to renew their contract, but they are now receiving competing offers from Columbia/Sony, Atlantic and Virgin. You can choose what they end up doing. Also, the band begins doing archival releases of their concerts by now, which inspires other bands to be more open and often with their vault releases, thus shrinking the bootleg market considerably from what it is IOTL. A few notes for the much later areas: Since the early Chris Farley, Jeanine Garafolo-led version of Shrek ends up released by 2001, this means that Mike Myers ends up sticking only with Austin Powers. It also means he ends up deciding to keep the agreement to make Sprockets, thus removing The Cat In The Hat. I feel there should be a bit of a focus concerning Kurt et al's feelings about Nickelback, who of course still become hugely successful even with grunge and alt-rock still remaining viable in the mainstream well into the 21st century and Clear Channel/iHeartMedia prevented from buying up all the stations and homogenizing the programming. As for right now, I noticed we haven't dealt so much with Soundgarden, especially their breakup in 1997 and their attempts to say it was amicable. Also, what happens to Samantha Maloney? Does she end up involved with Splemain to fill in when Patty Schemel is ill or otherwise engaged, like she did with Hole IOTL? And does Billy Corgan write with them the way he for the Celebrity Skin album?)

(I would also say that since while STP never breaks up because Scott Weiland is able to beat his addictions, he still goes on to do solo albums. I was thinking that Kurt would play and sing during some of the sessions for 12 Bar Blues, and becomes a constant collaborator for his solo work. Also, since Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum never leave Guns N' Roses, this means that while Velvet Revolver doesn't form, some of the same events similar to it occur. After all, Motley Crue still flops hard with Generation Swine, Tommy Lee still ends up in prison for domestic assault and briefly leaving the band, Randy Castillo drums on the sessions for New Tattoo but is too sick to tour, and still dies in 2002. The memorial concert for him, involving the three Guns members still occurs. It's also possible that some of the VR songs simply end up on a Weiland solo album, and the three Guns members still record with him in the studio. Also, as a partial nod to recent events, here Tom Petty doesn't emerge from his dark cloud that hung over him in the late '90s, as his secret heroin addiction at that time consumes him after the sales failure of Echo in 1999.)

Last edited:
July 28, 1997-Scott Weiland begins recording his first solo album. Cobain is invited to play and add backing vocals to the songs "Barbarella" and "Mockingbird Girl".

July 30, 1997-Filming of the Fatty Arbuckle movie begins in Brentwood.

August 1, 1997 - E! News reports on rumors of marital problems between Sublime singer Bradley Nowell and his wife Troy Dendekker, both refused to comment on the allegations.

August 3, 1997 - A performance in New Orleans during the Nirvana/Guns N' Roses tour was marred by a number of technical problems that caused some of the members of the audience to boo, a few others to begin rioting. While Kurt and Axel successfully kept the majority of the audience from escalating things further, a number of injuries were reported after security got the rioters out of the venue.

August 5, 1997 - Rumors swirl in political world of Washington D.C. about Newt Gingrich planning on stepping down as Speaker of the House later in the month, along with rumors that Dennis Hastert was going to accept a plea deal with prosecutors regarding his illegal structuring case. Speculation on whom would replace both men was running rampant both in D.C. and in the press.

August 6, 1997 - House Representative Dennis Hastert announces that he is resigning from the House as part of accepting a plea deal with prosecutors in which he would plead guilty to the 'structuring' of bank statements to hide cash payouts to alleged molestation victims. Allegations of which Hastert now admitted were true as part of the deal. He would serve two years in federal prison along with five years of supervised probation and a quarter of a million dollars in fines. The Governor of Illinois, Jim Edgar stated he would announce former Representative Hastert's replacement later in the month.

August 7, 1997 - Hereditary Prince Albert of Monaco, the heir to the Monégasque throne has a car accident when the Aston Martin Vantage he was driving suffered an unexpected blowout while driving back to Monaco from Roc Agel, causing the Prince to lose control of the vehicle and sent it flying off the road and over the cliff edge of Mont Agel, eerily like his own mother had suffered before him. The accident scene was discovered by a passing motorist ten minutes later, and despite paramedics arriving on the scene the Prince was reported dead a few hours later by the Monégasque government, plunging the nation into official mourning.

The Prince having never been married or had any legitimate children (but with rumors of at least one illegitimate daughter) made the threat of Monaco losing it's independence to France much more real, however with Prince Rainer III still alive, his daughters Caroline and Stéphanie could still legally inherit due to Monaco's unique succession laws that stated while Rainer III was alive, his daughters would have right of succession, but if he had died they would have automatically lost them due to being women.

Monaco was already in the beginning stages of talks with France to revise the old treaties and laws that existed between them to 'modernize' the succession, the death of the only male claimant to the throne would only intensify such discussions.

August 10, 1997-A surprise acoustic show in the Nirvana/GNR tour is performed on the campus of the University of South Carolina, and filmed for an MTV Unplugged special, though the Nirvana segment will not be released for several years.

August 13, 1997-A live album/video release of the Nirvana/GNR tour is announced to be released in February 1998 by Geffen Records. This will be GNR's first proper live release, and fulfill Nirvana's contract, leaving them officially free agents.

August 14, 1997-Cobain sprains his ankle during a show at Virginia Tech, but insists on finishing the performance while sitting in a chair.

August 15, 1997-From the August 1997 issue of Box Office Magazine, which Theron keeps handy to show to Cobain later, and helps spark off an interest in expansion into film production. It is an article focusing on Mel Gibson and his production company, Icon Productions, and how it has expanded over time.

"Australian Native Sons Mel Gibson and Bruce Davey of Icon Bring It All Back Home" by Kim Williamson

Fourteen years ago, actor Mel Gibson was worried about the future of the Australian film industry. "Canada seems to have blown it. Australia could well do the same," he said. Gibson, who'd come to prominence with such Oz productions as Mad Max, Tim, and Gallipoli, had just finished another Down Under effort, The Year of Living Dangerously. On the big screen, the continent had also recently produced such hits as My Brilliant Career, "Breaker" Morant and The Man From Snowy River. But Gibson feared that, fueled by success, the country's production would expand too quickly, causing a ramp-up in costs that would lead to the industry's downfall.

Cut to a gray day in summer 1997. Whatever worries Gibson had about movie making Down Under seem to have dissipated like this morning's marine layer over the Warner Bros. lot, where Gibson's Icon Productions is housed in a two-level bungalow of offices. In a casually appointed suite, Gibson, as chairman and creative force of Icon, and Bruce Davey, who, drawing on his chartered accountant background, oversees the nine-year-old company's financial affairs as president and CEO, are talking about the company's future in an exclusive interview with BOX-OFFICE. And the future at Icon seems busy and bright. In February 1996, Icon announced it had signed two major-studio production deals: a continuation of its original Warner pact, in place since January 1991, plus a new agreement with Paramount, domestic home of Icon's Oscar-winning Braveheart. This past August, Icon entered into a three-year joint venture with Fox Filmed Entertainment to develop, produce and distribute films in Australia, using Fox's still-under-construction Fox Studios Australia in Sydney as home base.

"I think it's the same as it's always been," Gibson says of Australian filmmaking today. "Pretty much just really talented people operating on a shoestring, turning out quality stuff from time to time. Per capita, there's a lot of activity down there, even compared to the film community here. It's like a drop in the ocean, and yet they manage to more than fulfill a kind of populist quota."

In their yet-to-be-named Aussie venture, at the moment, just call it Mel & Murdoch, Inc., headed by leading Down Under producer Timothy White (Angel Baby, Oscar and Lucinda), the companies will work together on a yet-to-be-determined number of pictures. The films will be owned by Fox/Icon, with Fox distributing outside Australia. (Other Icon productions are copyright World Icon, an investment group originally formed to finance Hamlet when no studio would.)

"Our association with Fox came through Braveheart," Davey explains. "Fox took the foreign side of Braveheart." "When Fox started to build their studio down there," Gibson adds, "it seemed like an opportune time to get into bed with these guys that we'd had such a good experience with."

But a sense of national pride was also involved. "I don't know whether Mel and I ever had the specific conversation," Davey says, "and if we didn't have it, it was most probably thought: that one day we'd like to give something back to Australia.

"I think it will be fabulous," Davey adds, speaking of the entire $120 million Fox effort. "There will be state-of-the-art soundstages and TV studios and theatrical studios. The first production there is underway, they're doing the sequel to Babe. It's going to be great."

Gibson poses a question for his partner. "It's going to take a while for it to really wind up, isn't it?"

"Yeah," Davey replies.

"It always takes time," Gibson adds, nodding. "When we started Icon, we were at it for about three years before we got a shot off. It just takes a long time to generate things. But this is going to be very valuable, and I think a lot of good work's going to come out of there."

When it comes to discussing the specifics of Icon's involvement with Fox, the partners prove more reserved. "We have an office facility at the moment, not on the lot, but they will move," Davey says. "We have only three employees down there. They're identifying projects for us to jointly develop with Fox." As to what percentage of Icon projects will be shot in Australia, Davey says, "We can't say. After Braveheart, we did nothing for a couple of years. We aren't going to make a movie for the sake of making a movie, and you've no idea whether something's going to come along." Presented with a hypothetical scenario, in which Icon would make a dozen movies between now and the year 2000, might a significant number be made in Australia? "We can only hope that that would be the case," Davey says carefully. But Gibson's response is equally interesting; almost to himself, he adds, "A dozen projects in three more years? It's possible!" He laughs, as if implying it's not probable. "The company would have to grow."

Fulfilling its Warner and Paramount pacts might demand exactly that: that Icon grow. Industry reports state Icon, which has made 12 films since its 1988 launch, will make four pictures for each studio over the next three years, with Gibson starring in one, directing another, and producing two more. "You know more than I do," Davey says, prompting more laughter from Gibson. Both partners take a certain pride in not having a formal business plan. The uncertain availability of worthwhile projects is the cited reason. "The business dictates that in a lot of cases," Gibson says. "It's so fickle. You get things coming from left field and right field."

"I can give you an example," Davey adds. "We did Braveheart and then we did nothing for almost two years. And then we found ourselves shooting three films on three separate continents at once." (Those are Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, released stateside by Warner this past April; 187, an urban drama opening via Warner in late July; and the charming FairyTale, A True Story, a family film Paramount has slated for October.) "Since those three films, it's been 12 months since we were physically shooting. With that sort of scenario, how can you possibly build a business plan?" Without such a plan, will Icon meet its Warner and Paramount commitments and develop fare for its Fox/Icon venture, and allow time for Gibson's extramural adventures, such as his new non-Icon thriller Conspiracy Theory? "You can only do your damn best, I think is the answer," Gibson says. "You might not get to four. But it won't be through lack of trying. You might get three, you might get five! You just have to keep looking all the time and developing ideas you think will work and see how they take hold."

Of the two studio deals, Gibson says, "Basically, it's our call, so it's up to us to get stuff to a stage where we're happy with it." Still, as Davey says, "They all want Mel Gibson projects," exemplified by Paramount's demand for at least one action picture to star him.

"You don't know what's going to work with what studio," Davey says. "It's no secret we took 187 to Paramount first, and they passed. And Warners picked it up. And what might not work for Warners might work for Paramount."

"You're a bit like the Fuller Brush man," Gibson adds. "You come to the house and you say, `Hey, we got some of these, some of these, some of these, and these, what do you like, you like anything?' And he says, `Yeah, the onion peeler. That's a good one.' They have to like it too. [After all,] we're not alone in this."

"It's a two-way street," Davey says. "It's not going to work if they're not sending us stuff, and it's not going to work if we're not sending them stuff. And we want it to work." Or, as Gibson puts it, "You just have to keep in mind your obligations, and try not to stiff anybody."

Along with its Australian and American ventures, Icon has entered a third continent: Europe. In September 1995, Icon Entertainment International was formed to handle overseas sales for Icon productions and third-party films in which the company takes an interest. The following month, it bought international rights to 20 films from the Kings Road library, including All of Me, The Big Easy and Jacknife. Located in London's Soho Square and run by former Lumiere managing director Ralph Kamp, Icon International this past fall also acquired Majestic Films, another London-based sales company, in a $10 million deal.

Previously, Majestic had handled foreign rights for certain Icon titles, counting among its 220-film library Icon's The Man Without a Face and Immortal Beloved. Despite apparent duplication between Icon International and Majestic, Davey says the two will remain separate. "We're running them side by side. I think that it's appropriate to keep Icon for Icon films. Icon, I think, has earned a certain reputation." Majestic will handle "films that we're going to finance and other people are going to go and produce." The first such production is Saint Ives, a Robert Louis Stevenson adaptation being made by Ireland's Little Bird.

The overseas effort was launched out of bottom-line pragmatism. "We [opened Icon International] because I figured out that what we were paying Majestic to handle our films would cover our overhead to do it ourselves," Davey says. "It then seemed prudent to try to cover the overhead of [the international] operation by library acquisitions, so that we weren't put in the position, like a lot of these sales companies are, of having to go out and find product. Once again, we don't want to make movies that we don't want to make, so you don't want to be selling movies for the sake of having to cover your overhead. Having a library is a foundation, it generates cash flow, which leaves you free to concentrate on fewer movies, and hopefully distribute them better, on the basis that less is more."

Two prominent film companies that, like Icon, made studio films for which they retained the copyright are/were Castle Rock and Cinergi. Both companies, while trying to grow their libraries from the inside, eventually had to sell out to conglomerates (respectively, Time Warner and The Walt Disney Company). On the other hand, on the morning of BOX-OFFICE's visit to Icon, Wall Street sources were insisting that MGM, which like Icon has been making library deals, in its case to make itself more investor-attractive--is readying to go public via a late-1997 stock offering.

Neither selling stock to shareholders nor selling out to an entertainment giant interests Gibson and Davey. "I've talked to other guys who went public," Gibson says, "and it's been like a nightmare for them."

Davey agrees. "Those things are often put together by lawyers and accountants for their own reasons, and not for the benefit of the company." But wouldn't Icon love the access to virtually unlimited capital that a large corporate parent might provide? "Yes, but the interesting thing about the way we do our movies is that there is a discipline in the way that we work," Davey says. Which is this: Their sales experts define how much the market will invest in any particular production. "They come back and say, for example, `We can raise $15 million.' So I say to my physical production guys, `What's this going to cost me to make?' And they say, `It's going to cost $20 million.' Well, you know it's not going to work. So you either come up with a way to make it for $15 million, or we can't do it. If someone said, `Here's a pot of $100 million [to draw on],' people are going to lose sight of the discipline to make it work at $15 million. It's too easy to say, `We'll just take $2 million from that hundred million.'"

Icon is no stranger to making rigorous budgetary decisions, even on works that are especially dear to Gibson and Davey's hearts. A story Gibson tells about shooting Braveheart illustrates the point. The production was running low on time and money. "Literally, there was a place and a day near the end of the shoot where we did rip 12 pages out of the script. And it forced us on the creative side to be creative. Because we had to find a short cut there somehow. And we came up with something better than what was there in the first place."

Gibson and Davey hail from different continents, Gibson was born in Peekskill, New York, while Davey is a Down Under native, but their partnership of 17 years feels like a good one. Part of that is due to their shared Aussie sensibility; Gibson's family emigrated to Australia when he was 12, and he still maintains a ranch in the Australian Outback. As the 41-year-old has put it, "I formed my opinions in Australia."

The two men's different career abilities complement each other. "I'm a fiscal imbecile," Gibson says. "But Bruce is really good at that stuff. He's got a better overview for, like, business plans and situations than I do."

"The business plan that we don't have," Davey reminds him, laughing. "I think as time has gone on, Mel has exhibited this `fiscal imbecility' of his, but he's not such an imbecile these days as he used to be." At that, it's Gibson's turn to laugh. "Vice versa: In terms of learning about creating things, I've learned a lot from Mel."

"But we both get snagged," Gibson says. "Every now and then, you just stand there and you think, `Oh, man, we've just been done over,' or `We came out the worst end of this deal,' or `Gee, we won't do that again.' And it usually costs in some way, either financially or emotionally. We call it `school fees,' which is a kind of good way to look at it." He chuckles. "I guess."

"We're still paying them," Davey laughs.

"Yeah," Gibson admits. "But we got a gold star along the way, here and there."

Last edited:
August 18, 1997-The Supreme Court rules in the Clinton v. Jones case. They decide, in a 9-0 vote, that there is no overriding need for Paula Jones' civil suit to be heard while President Clinton is still in office, particularly since it is not a criminal case. The official opinion include the phrase "while the President is certainly not above the law, he is also not below it." This decision effectively throttles the Starr investigation, forcing the final report to focus only on Whitewater-related matters. Many pundits point out that soon President Clinton will be free from investigative concerns and be free to focus entirely on matters of policy. "But does this mean that it will all be wine and roses for the Clintons? Absolutely not, because those with the bit in their teeth will simply move to a likely unparalleled degree of attacking his policy proposals, even should he manage to convince Republicans to pass them. This opposition comes not only from Republicans, but the more progressive wing of his own party, who charge that President Clinton has sold out the New Deal, and betrayed liberalism with actions such as NAFTA, his crime bill and welfare reform."

Last edited:
August 22, 1997-The Nirvana/GNR tour heads for a Latin American jaunt, starting in Mexico City. During the three nights of shows at the Palacio des Deportes, demonstrators belonging to the Zapatista Front harass the crowds heading to watch the shows of "symbols of American imperialism."

September 13, 1997-The Nirvana/GNR tour starts at Wembley Stadium, for a show broadcast live on satellite pay-per-view, Radio 1, and for delayed transmission on the BBC and MTV.

September 20, 1997-Cobain and Axl Rose meet with U2 frontman Bono at a pub in Dublin, and converse for several hours. The outing is photographed and splashed on all major publications.

October 14, 1997-The tour moves to Russia for several dates in Moscow and St. Petersburg, including an acoustic set, all of which are filmed and recorded for eventual release.

October 17, 1997-From The New York Times:

"Roman Polanski and Broadway", On Stage and Off column, by Rick Lyman

Lawyers for the film director Roman Polanski, who has been working in Europe since fleeing the United States in 1977 to escape after being charged with statutory rape, have been talking with California prosecutors about a deal under which he could return to work in the United States. Now it appears that if such a deal is reached, Mr. Polanski might well land on Broadway.

In Vienna, Andrew Braunsberg is producing Dance of the Vampires, a musical version of Mr. Polanski's 1967 horror spoof, The Fearless Vampire Killers, or Pardon Me, but Your Teeth Are in My Neck, with Mr. Polanski directing. The musical, with songs by the rock composer Jim Steinman, is being performed, in German, at the 1,200-seat Raimund Theater there.

"Our idea has always been to take it to New York," Mr. Braunsberg said in a telephone interview from Vienna. "We want to do it with Roman directing."

Mr. Steinman will translate and reshape the German book and lyrics. Producers had initially been uncertain whether to take the show first to New York or wait until after a West End run in London.

"Now we all feel it's really more of a New York show," Mr. Braunsberg said. 'Our feeling is New York will be the first port of call."

The timing will depend on when the right theater is available, he said, but producers and Mr. Polanski are hoping for a Broadway opening sometime late in 1998.

November 3, 1997-The last major leg of the co-headlining tour, covering Australasia, begins in in Beijing.

November 7, 1997-After covering China, the tour moves to cover Japan. The up-and-coming band Puffy AmiYumi opens all the dates.

November 19, 1997-The tour arrives in Australia, scheduled to begin on the 23rd. During the off-time, Cobain runs into INXS again, rehearsing for their "Lose Your Head Tour", commemorating their 20th anniversary and finishing the promotion for Elegantly Wasted. Cobain talks to Michael Hutchence over the latter's recent hassles with the press, and the troubling relationship with Paula Yates and Bob Geldof.

Last edited:
November 22, 1997-At his hotel room in Sydney, Australia, Michael Hutchence makes several phone calls. First, he calls, Paula Yates, and confronts her with concerns Cobain helped raise over the extent to which the media circus is being deliberately planted by Yates' actions, including possibly tipping off paparazzi to barge into certain moments. He also confronts her about threats she has made to harm herself and their daughter, Heavenly Hiranni Tiger Lily Hutchence, in order to coerce him into marrying her. At one point, Hutchence exclaims that "this was never about love, was it? It was just to get back at Bob." With that, he announces that he is breaking off the relationship, taking Tiger with him, filing a restraining order, and moving back to Australia. He then calls Geldof to state that there is no reason feud anymore, and he is not making any more passes at trying be a father figure to Tiger's half-sisters. By the time he reports to ABC Gore Hill Studios for the last day of rehearsal, Hutchence clearly seems to be relishing the moment, like a weight has been lifted off of his shoulders.

November 23, 1997-The Nirvana/GNR tour begins at the Sydney Football Stadium to a packed crowd of 40,000.

November 28, 1997-During an off-day in the tour, Cobain and Slash appear during INXS's performance at the Palais Theatre in Melbourne. They jam together for six songs, including renditions of "Heart-Shaped Box", "Patience" and "Smoke On The Water."

November 30, 1997-U2 is interviewed about their album and their tour. Bono reveals that they had originally considered launching the tour back in late spring. "But we realized that we would've had to make the album fit the tour, rather than have the tour be a logical extension of the album. We also wanted to ensure that the songs sound finished and fleshed out, rather than something basically tossed off quite quickly. I think we made the right decision to wait it out."

December 5, 1997-After the tour's official end, Nirvana ends the year with one last performance at the 40 Watt Club in Athens, Georgia alongside REM, performing after the departure of drummer Bill Berry.

December 12, 1997-Walt Disney Imagineering begins planning of a new thrill ride at Disney-MGM Studios called the "Rock n' Roller Coaster", with plans to export it to be an anchor tenant in additional theme parks being made as expansions of Disneyland and Disneyland Paris. At this moment, they are split between two options for the band who is to be the face of the attraction: Aerosmith and Nirvana. The split is because Nirvana has become the most popular band at the moment, but at the same time, Aerosmith have sustained the comeback that started with Permanent Vacation for a decade, with Nine Lives selling exceptionally well, and the band slated to record a ballad penned by Diane Warren for the upcoming Michael Bay film Armageddon. The option is considered whether or not to have different bands be featured on different versions of the ride, so as to have both choices, and any more that are considered for future versions.

December 15, 1997-People magazine splashes a cover story concerning a complicated series of love triangles regarding Layne Staley, Gwen Stefani and Bradley Nowell. The story states that Stefani has been seen in the company of Gavin Rossdale, lead singer of Bush, and that "she likes more than his music." However, Stefani has also increasingly spent more time with Nowell, especially as relations between him and Troy Deddaker have continued to sour, and Stefani duetted with Nowell on the recently-released single "Saw Red." Staley, for his part, has also rekindled a relationship with ex-girlfriend Demri Lara Parrott.

December 19, 1997-James Cameron's film Titanic, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, opens in theaters. After an initial slow reaction, moviegoers turn out in droves to see the film, which eventually grosses over $2 billion, becoming the highest-grossing film of all-time. The movie also ties the record with 1959's Ben-Hur for 11 Academy Awards. Cobain is amongst the thrilled viewers. "It's a beautiful story, and I honestly can't think of anything better out in theaters now. The romance is lovely, the effects are spectacularly done, and it really says a lot about arrogance and hubris."

December 26, 1997-Cobain meets Michael Jackson at the Record Plant in Hollywood, where the King of Pop is working on a followup album to HIStory. Jackson enthusiastically states that he is a fan of Cobain's work, and that he would be honored if Cobain contributed to certain tracks. Cobain states that he will consider it.

December 18th, 1997: Farley visits his family in Madison, who are thrilled to hear that two big projects of his; the horror comedy The Gelfin and the CGI fairy tale satire Shrek are due out next year. Farley says he's happier than ever.

December 25th, 1997: Farley meets with Cobain briefly while the former heads back to Los Angeles to finish up voice work for Shrek. Cobain tells him he will be checking the film out and bringing his kids along. Farley promises to invite Nirvana and their families to the premiere.

November 12th, 1997-British pop star Gary Glitter is arrested for downloading child pornography after 4000 different such images are found on a laptop he brought in to repair.

November 15th, 1997-In the course of their initial investigation, British police uncover the accounts of several women stating that Glitter had sexually assaulted them in the 1970s. After convincing the women to speak on record, the news comes out, forcing the cancellations of Glitter's planned holiday arena tour along with the deletion of a scene of him appearing in the movie Spiceworld, and the cancellation of recording sessions to finish an upcoming album.

December 17th, 1997-Several more women come forward with their stories about Glitter. Glitter, for his part, is fiercely unrepentant and plans to plead guilty to the child pornography charge while fighting the assault claims.

August 31-September 1, 1997: The global media has fun reporting on an incident in Paris where Diana, Princess of Wales and her boyfriend Dodi Fayed discovered their limo driver passed out in the driver's seat from excess drink. The pair were forced to go back into their hotel and call a cab.

September 5, 1997: While still in official mourning for his son, Prince Rainer III of Monaco is reported to have begun talks with French President Jacques Chirac to reform Monaco's succession laws to strengthen the claims of his daughters to the Montagues' throne. The French government is noted to be supportive of the project but it is expected to take four years to complete due to a number of treaties that need renegotiating. Talks between Princess Caroline, Monaco, and the Catholic Church involving having her first marriage annulled and her second marriage recognized so her children with her second husband can one day inherit Monaco are already under way.

September 10, 1997: News of the World reports that Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Fayed have had a quarrel, an anonymous source states that Dodi proposed to Diana who refused, not seeing their relationship as anywhere near that serious. Both of them refused to comment.

September 14, 1997: The Starr Report is formally sent to Congress, despite nearly five years of investigations and millions of dollars spent, Ken Starr admitted that he could find no evidence of wrongdoing on the part of either Bill or Hillary Clinton in their Whitewater investment, or any of the other issues that he investigated them for. Attempts to include lurid and invasive materials from the Lewinsky matter in the report were removed at the last minute for unclear reasons. The failure of the independent council to find anything on the Clintons effectively sealed the political fates of several key players in the Washington political scene.

September 18, 1997: Despite holding onto his job for longer than many thought, Newt Gingrich formally tendered his resignation as Speaker of the House and as a Representative in the House, the Beltway already buzzing about who his replacement will be along with news that Gingrich has already signed onto to serve as a contributor to fledgling cable news station 'Fox News'.

September 19, 1997: The press secretary of Diana, Princess of Wales released a brief statement that she and Dodi Fayed have 'parted ways' and asked that the media respect both his and her right to privacy. Dodi Fayed's representatives refused any public comment from the media's inquiries.

September 23, 1997: After a few days of political horse-trading in the Republican caucus, Bob Livingston, a representative from Louisiana and a staunch but low-key conservative became Speaker of the House.

October 2, 1997:
Filming for Mighty Joe Young wraps in Africa, allowing Charlize Theron to being prepping for the role of Candy Kendall in an adaptation of the novel, The Cider House Rules, filming set to begin in February of next year, allowing Charlize a chance to both prepare, and to rest in-between films. A release date for Mighty Joe Young is set for June 7th to allow for post-production work.

October 5, 1997: Courtney Love's album, nearing completion in recording runs into a snag when Courtney develops chest pain and is rushed to the hospital and receives a quick diagnosis of Pneumonia, putting her out of commission for at least a month while she recovers.

October 8, 1997: Larry Flynt publishes an unflattering story about Speaker of the House Bob Livingston in what he called 'The Flynt Report' (an obvious jab at the Starr Report) alleging that he had several affairs on his wife Bonnie.

October 10, 1997: In a press conference the Speaker of the House admits that the allegations made against him by Larry Flynt were true, he did have an affair on his wife while criticizing Bill Clinton for doing the same and calling on him to resign. Saying that this was extremely hypocritical of him, Livingston stated that he had offered his resignation but that the Republican Leadership had refused it and convinced him to stay on, instead he publicly apologized to the Clinton's for his hypocrisy and stated he had already apologized to his wife in private.

October 14, 1997: Charlize Theron was spotted in Russia with Kurt Cobain, photographers captured moments of the pair visiting several landmarks in St. Petersburg, smiling and clearly happy despite the press attention before Kurt's show that night.

October 18, 1997: Spelmain suffers a minor crisis when Patty Schemel breaks her arm while falling down a flight of stairs.

October 20, 1997: Eric Erlandson and Melissa Auf der Maur announce that while Patty recovers, the role of drummer in Spelmain will be filled in with Samantha Maloney during the last leg of their tour.

November 2, 1997: Eric Wilson, the bassist for Sublime states to an MTV reporter his desire to do a 'proper' Sublime album as the band promotes the self-titled remix album released that September.

November 4, 1997: Diana, Princess of Wales was spotted dancing with actor George Clooney at Club Liquid in Miami, pictures are published in US Weekly but both refuse to comment.

November 16, 1997: Memos from the Republican National Committee are leaked to the public, the memos outline predictions of the 1998 Congressional Midterm elections from both Newt Gingrich and Bob Livingston, earlier memos from Newt Gingrich predict a huge GOP victory due to the Clinton's being bogged down in scandal, but later memos from current Speaker Bob Livingston paint a much bleaker picture, with several GOP Congressmen and Senators having their careers end in massive scandal and with the Clinton's (more or less) vindicated, he predicts that the Democrats will run on a platform of being the 'grown-ups' in Washington and win back control of at least the Senate, perhaps even the House.

November 18, 1997: Monica Lewinsky, having moved to New York in the wake of the scandal with Bill Clinton spoke to a reporter about her brief brush with fame. She said that while it was exhilarating at first, she quickly got sick of it and was thankful that her name faded from the media quickly, and that the full details were not included in the Starr Report. She stated that she planned to go back to college and study economics and was dating 'a nice businessman' that she refused to name.

Last edited:
January 5, 1998-Sonny Bono, of Sonny and Cher fame and current Republican Congressman of California's 44th District, dies in a skiing accident. The funeral is televised, and Cher gives a moving tribute to her ex-husband. Bono's widow, Mary, takes his place in Congress.

January 9, 1998-Tobey Maguire is chosen as the lead in Lasse Hallstrom's upcoming film The Cider House Rules, soon after finishing filming on the upcoming movie Pleasantville. Angered by reports of Maguire's ascendance and his close friend Leonardo DiCaprio's own rise to becoming a teen idol, RD Robb, director of a shelved film called Don's Plum, an improvisational film in which DiCaprio and Maguire starred in, feeds a blistering volley to the Los Angeles Times, alleging that the duo have "ruined careers and lives in order to further their own." Dale Wheatley, a producer of the project, concurs, and blatantly accuses Maguire, in particular, of sabotaging the film by co-opting DiCaprio. The other producer, David Stutman, says nothing substantial, but gives tacit agreement with Robb and Wheatley's account.

January 13, 1998-John Glenn, in his final year as a Senator, is confirmed by NASA to be returning to space to become the oldest astronaut ever during the STS-95 mission of Space Shuttle Discovery in October. Glenn will be part of a mission to determine the effects of spaceflight on aging.

January 16, 1998-The 4-disc live album compiled from the Nirvana/GNR tour is released to the public, entitled Get In The Ring. The album fulfills Nirvana's contract with DGC/Geffen Records, which is in the process of being sold to Interscope Records, which in and of itself is being amalgamated by Seagram, current owner of MCA and Universal Pictures, in a merger with PolyGram. Interscope founder Jimmy Iovine tries to woo Nirvana to re-sign with Geffen, while they are also fielding offers from Atlantic Records, Virgin/EMI and Sony Music.

Last edited:
January 20th, 1998: Canadian animator and creator of The Ren and Stimpy Show John Kricfalusi is given the opportunity to revive his program on the fledgling Cartoon Network, with the promise of full creative control on his part. Kricfalusi is ecstatic. "Those cunts at Nick won't be forcing me to go along with their anti-cartoon ideas anymore AND Spumco and I will be able to tell all the stories we want!" The revival is due for a 2000 premiere on the network.

January 23rd, 1998: Spumco purchases the rights to The Ren and Stimpy Show and regains control of the characters. (In case you're wondering Adult Party Cartoon doesn't happen in this timeline.)

January 27th, 1998: Real estate mogul Donald Trump is killed in a head-on-collision with a 1997 Ford Powerstroke while departing from his Manhattan residence at the age of 51.

January 30th, 1998: Trump's son Donald Trump Jr. is named the successor of the Trump Organization.

Last edited:
January 31, 1998: Courtney Love announces that her debut solo album 'The Honeypot' is complete with a tentative release date of March 31st.

February 2, 1998:
The New York Post reports on allegations of an altercation between Marla Maples, the widow of Donald Trump and Trump's first wife, Ivana Trump during the will-reading. All members of the Trump family issue swift denials.

February 4, 1998: After years of lobbying by the recording industry, and a few years of work on the part of lobbyists and legislators, Representative Howard Coble of North Carolina introduces the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) to the 105th Congress, the first serious attempt at copyright extension in decades, the act is designed to extend the reach of copyright into the rising medium of the Internet while limiting liability of online service providers of copyright infringement to their users. The act is noted by commentators to stand a good chance of passing through Congress, even in an election year, despite facing fierce criticism of it's possible effects on innovation, research, and abuse of it's takedown provisions. The actual legislative process is expected to take several months.

February 6, 1998: Three guys at Northeastern University, Shawn Fanning, his brother John Fanning, and their friend Sean Parker are hard at work on their peer-to-peer file sharing website, the intent is to create a means for people to share their MP3 music files in an easy and convenient manner. They hope to launch the website, 'Napster' in late spring.

February 7, 1998: Production of 'The Cider House Rules' begins, despite controversy over the casting of Tobey Maguire, who is also going to have a brief role as 'The Hitchhiker' in 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas', though that film role will occur later in the year and only take a few days to shoot on Maguire's part.

February 8, 1998: MTV News does a 'special report' on the DMCA in Congress and the responses of several music artists are intercut throughout, while some like Whitney Houston express hope that the bill will be a positive step for the industry, others have a more negative view, as expressed by Kurt Cobain when asked about it, "The whole thing is a corporate money-grab dressed up as fixing copyright laws. It's just more political bulls#!%." MTV would face criticism for trying to portray a division of opinion among music artists when most experts noted that the majority of music artists were against the bill, it's popularity in the music industry was with producers and executives who ran the record labels.

February 10, 1998: Playboy magazine announces that their March 1998 issue will feature nude photographs of Charlize Theron that were taken when she was an unknown model that they purchased from the photographer. Theron's publicist announces Ms. Theron's intent to sue to prevent publication hours later.

Last edited: