Cobain Continues Redone: A Kurt Cobain Survives Timeline

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: After 1900' started by TheGuyWhoHeartsHistory, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Toxic34 Well-Known Member

February 1, 2005-Several female staffers who have worked under Rose come out with allegations of sexual harassment and mistreatment. At the announcement of the news, PBS states that they are suspending Rose while they investigate the claims.

MatthewFirth likes this.
  2. Toxic34 Well-Known Member

February 2, 2005-The following day, Rose goes on the attack. "These claims against me are absolutely unfounded. Never in my life have I treated women with anything other than the utmost respect, especially as those I've interviewed can attest to. I also can't help but suspect that a certain party, upset by the questions I asked them in an interview, simply wants their own back against me."

MatthewFirth likes this.
  3. Toxic34 Well-Known Member

February 5, 2005-The Michael Jackson vehicle, MidKnight is officially set to be released on October 12, while Memoirs of a Geisha is set for December 9. Coupled with the June release of Batman Begins and the release of the sci-fi heist adventure Diamond Dogs starring Ray Liotta on April 13, as well as Space Ace in August, Springbok is set to make over $1 billion at the box office for the first time in its career. On the same day, Courtney Love resurfaces with the announcement that she and her former bandmates in Hole have settled their differences and will reunite, as well as having secured a five-album deal with Interscope Records. "I truly am happy for Kurt, and am glad that he's really made it in the world. But I definitely want to stand on my own two feet here, and I'm going to make it by myself. I've always wanted it that way."

February 9, 2005-After years of waiting, the trial of Harvey Weinstein for numerous counts of sexual assault, sexual assault with intoxicating substances, sexual harassment, conspiracy to conceal crimes, blackmail, slander and libel, finally begins. Originally set to begin in early 2001, the trial kept being delayed as more and more victims of Weinstein came forward with their stories, more charges were added to the indictment, and delaying tactics by Weinstein's own lawyers. At the moment, Weinstein is quite confident that he will beat the rap. "I know that the court, and history, will vindicate me."

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  4. TheGuyWhoHeartsHistory Well-Known Member

February 11th, 2005: Script offers are sent to Springbok in regards to a screenplay based off of the rise and fall of Harvey Weinstein.

5. Toxic34 Well-Known Member

February 14, 2005-Exploitation Records receives a message from a group calling themselves Thistle, clearly angling for a record deal. No one, not even those who keep their ear on the underground or bar circuits, remotely knows who this band is. The issue is brought to Cobain, but he has no idea either. "Maybe Courtney will know who they are." He pays a visit to Love to ask her. "Thistle? They're great! Especially since JT Leroy writes their lyrics." When Cobain makes it clear he doesn't know who that is, she gives him a series of books. "He's one of the best, and he does a lot of appearances and readings."

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  6. TheGuyWhoHeartsHistory Well-Known Member

February 15th, 2005: Cobain starts researching the group after being informed about it.

7. Toxic34 Well-Known Member

February 20, 2005-After reading JT Leroy's novels Sarah and The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things, as well as checking out Asia Argento's adaptation of the latter, Cobain learns there is a reading that Leroy will be holding in Portland, Oregon, in a week, and Thistle will be performing at it. He makes a reservation for the event.

8. TheGuyWhoHeartsHistory Well-Known Member

(Any political advancements during this time?)

9. Toxic34 Well-Known Member

(Those would be mainly tied with the eventual ideas regarding stricter scrutiny to come. At this point, it's basically more of the same as before)

10. Shiva Dreaming... always dreaming...

(Basically what Toxic just said, in 05 the War on Terror was on-going in both Afghanistan and Iraq and becoming obvious quagmires even to Bush's supporters, Hurricane Katrina will happen in late August of 2005 and I can't see New Orleans coming out any better than it did in RL, and Bush did launch a failed bid to turn Social Security into a privately controlled entity, officially so Americans could have more money in retirement, unofficially so Wall Street could play with the money, however both parties in Congress killed that proposal hard in a matter of weeks. Though if they hadn't, then in 2008 during the Great Recession, most economists agree that under Bush's plan Social Security would have been completely wiped out, so the vast majority of American's wouldn't have just seen their 401Ks evaporate, the last social safety net left would have been gone as well, leaving millions of elderly, retired, and ready to retire Americans with literally NOTHING.)

11. TheGuyWhoHeartsHistory Well-Known Member

(I don't want his plan to succeed ITTL and realistically it shouldn't, given how unpopular it is.)

Shiva likes this.
  12. Toxic34 Well-Known Member

(Well, naturally, given the Democrats' control in Congress by this point, it doesn't have a chance, though of course Bush will still try.)

13. Shiva Dreaming... always dreaming...

(The plan was so bad that the bulk of Republicans in Congress at the time took one look at it and ran for the hills.)

14. Toxic34 Well-Known Member

(Of course, naturally. You'll certainly something interesting coming down the pike, but I don't want to give too much away.)

15. TheGuyWhoHeartsHistory Well-Known Member

(I hope it doesn't severely affect the economy any worse than it was affected in 2009 IOTL.)

16. Toxic34 Well-Known Member

(Things won't be better or worse than what happened, regarding the Recession. The only thing particularly different regarding New Orleans after Katrina is Springbok's stake in Six Flags New Orleans, so that it is speedily rebuilt afterwards)

17. TheGuyWhoHeartsHistory Well-Known Member

(That makes sense. Maybe since Bush is currently even more unpopular ITTL than he was in the OTL, he should leave office with approval ratings of approximately 10%.)

18. Toxic34 Well-Known Member

(Thereabouts, but the GOP isn't remotely strong enough to just kick him loose either, because they don't want to relive the days of Nixon remotely)

19. Toxic34 Well-Known Member

February 27, 2005-Cobain proceeds on to the Portland reading. What he sees is a figure, wearing an obviously fake blonde wig and sunglasses, with an unconvincing Southern accent, clearly sounding very feminine. Thistle consists of just a female singer and a male guitarist, while another woman, calling herself Speedie, and speaking in a harsh English accent and often speaking for JT when taking questions, seems to keep JT on a tight leash. Cobain calls back at Springbok. "This JT Leroy is clearly a girl, and probably isn't even the one writing. Someone's controlling everything and pushing this girl out to appear in public. I don't know why, but I'm not gonna blow the whistle on this. I don't need to be involved in this."

MatthewFirth likes this.
  20. Toxic34 Well-Known Member

March 1, 2005-President Bush announces a daring plan to privatize Social Security is coming down the pike for later review. Of course, many point out that such a scheme has no chance of being passed in the Democratic Congress, but clearly the administration remains fixated on it for some odd reason.