Cobain Continues: A Kurt Cobain Survives Collaborative Timeline

(This post is to answer the ASB nature of Cobain taking cough medicine instead of hard drugs)

June 1985: Kurt Cobain, a young punk rock fan and amateur guitarist from Aberdeen, Seattle, graduates from Aberdeen High School. Despite this, his relatively poor grades prevent him from getting into a four year university, so for now, he intends to take up odd jobs while planning for his true dream... (I felt like him graduating from High School would make his life slightly happier)

January 5th, 1986:
Cobain, who plans on starting his own rock band shortly, is introduced to marijuana by his friend Krist Novosellic. Novosellic, who knows Cobain suffers from chronic arm and stomach pain, emphasizes that pot is a much better alternative to heroin, in that it fixes pain, but doesn't make you dependent. Cobain takes his word for it and becomes hooked on pot.

March 1st, 1994:
Kurt Cobain, frontman of the grunge rock band Nirvana, is suffering from a nasty case of bronchitis while performing abroad in Munich, Germany. However, all he takes to deal with his illness is a bit of cough medicine, and he performs the next show just fine. (In the OTL, he had a massive overdose on this date, all of the remaining shows in Europe were cancelled, he was taken to a rehab facility in the US, escaped from it, then killed himself at his home, for context)

April 20th, 1994: After completing their European tour, the band members return to Seattle. Though Nirvana is still technically together, at this point, the three members have different interests. Kurt wants to end the band and start writing as a solo artist, Dave has a project known as the "Foo Fighters" in the works and Krist is a wild card. For the time being, the members do not have much contact with each other as they sort out their goals.

April 24th, 1994: Cobain locks himself in his mansion and disappears from the public eye for a few months. His activity is unknown during this time, but many of his fans speculate he's prepping up for the next Nirvana album by writing a boatload of new material.

June 1st, 1994: In a highly publicized incident, a member of the paparazzi is arrested after stalking Cobain by his mansion for several days. During the incident, Cobain's two year old daughter Frances allegedly shouted to the man: "My daddy wants to be left alone and sing, so let him!"

Last edited:
May 12 1994:A local Seattle newspaper starts a try to find Kurt Cobain campaign funded by readers.

June 3rd 1994:Blind Melon lead singer Shannon Hoon checks himself into rehab which results in Blind Melon canceling their scheduled appearance at Woodstock 94. There place would end up being replaced by a little known local Central Florida band to act as a warmup act called Tabthia's Secret.

Last edited:
June 20th, 1994: Courtney Love announces that she is pregnant with her and Cobain's second child.

June 27th, 1994: Cobain finally comes out of seclusion to announce that he was indeed working on material for Nirvana's next album, entitled "Tuc Eht Parc". When asked about what sound the next album would have, Cobain claims that it'll: "Be stripped away of all the high production crap that Nevermind was plagued by, and will actually be indie, unlike how people perceived In Utero."

Last edited:
July 2, 1994 After being turned down by Mercury and Jive, a vocal quintet from Orlando, FL finds favor with Hollywood Records

July 3, 1994 Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic make their first contributions to the upcoming Tuc Eht Parc album.

July 6th 1994:Gutiarist of Blind Melon Roger Stevens says in a interview that Blind Melon isn't splitting anytime soon and that they will get back to the studio ASAP.

July 9th 1994:Nirvana says they will not perform at Woodstock 94 denying any rumors about them performing.

July 16th, 1994: In an interview with MtV, Cobain states that after the release of Tuc Eht Parc, he wants to take a break to: "Become a really involved dad, unlike my own father, so that my kids can't say that I wasn't around. With my son due in March, I want him and his sister to have fond memories of me being around while they're growing up and me not just being that angry guy with dirty hair who screams while strumming a guitar..."

I hate to blow the ASB horn on this, since I like Nirvana's music and respect Cobain, but an established heroin addict choosing Robitussin doesn't make any sense. My wife directs a rehab facility, and she's seen firsthand how damn near impossible it is to get people - never mind hardened addicts - off heroin, the stuff that sends a shudder down her spine. And given how much goddamn heroin Cobain was taking, he was basically the equivalent of the alcoholic who washes down a case of beer with a bottle of Everclear and a moonshine enema.

Realistically, if you want to stop Cobain's death, the POD needs to be in 1986 when he first tried heroin. Part of the problem was that he played a left-handed guitar despite being right-handed. That led to the pain that led him to use heroin. My suggestion is to turn him into, as my best friend describes himself, a functioning pothead.

I hate to blow the ASB horn on this, since I like Nirvana's music and respect Cobain, but an established heroin addict choosing Robitussin doesn't make any sense. My wife directs a rehab facility, and she's seen firsthand how damn near impossible it is to get people - never mind hardened addicts - off heroin, the stuff that sends a shudder down her spine. And given how much goddamn heroin Cobain was taking, he was basically the equivalent of the alcoholic who washes down a case of beer with a bottle of Everclear and a moonshine enema.

Realistically, if you want to stop Cobain's death, the POD needs to be in 1986 when he first tried heroin. Part of the problem was that he played a left-handed guitar despite being right-handed. That led to the pain that led him to use heroin. My suggestion is to turn him into, as my best friend describes himself, a functioning pothead.

Yeah, that probably doesn't make any sense. I had Cobain choose Robitussin since there wasn't anything stronger available to him ITTL and he didn't want to go through the trouble of trying to get drugs in a foreign country, for fear of stricter laws prosecuting him.

17 July 1994: Kurt Cobain is seen in the crowd at the 1994 FIFA World Cup final between Brazil and Germany in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, a match that Germany won 4-3 to claim their record fourth World Cup title.

OOC: Sorry guys, but I just had to sneak that one in.

August 6th, 1994: Nirvana completes writing the songs for Tuc Eht Parc and intends to begin producing the album by next week at the latest.

August 7th, 1994: Nirvana meets up with Green Day to cameo in the music video of the latter's hit single "When I Come Around" as Green Day's rivals. Cobain reportedly states in a later interview that working with Green Day was: "The best experience I ever had with another musician..outside of us of course!"

August 10th, 1994: Nirvana heads to Bad Animal Studio in Seattle to produce Tuc Eht Parc. Unlike the production for In Utero, the recording process allegedly is much less tumultuous, largely thanks to Cobain dictating the sound for the album, which he describes as: "A Bob Dylan wet dream", which allegedly is one of the lyrics on the new album.

August 18th, 1994: Coinciding with his daughter's 2nd birthday, Cobain completes producing Tuc Eht Parc with Nirvana. In a now iconic image, Cobain is shown triumphantly holding up Frances at the studio, with her clad in a Nirvana shirt and sunglasses.

October 3rd, 1994: Cobain meets up with Grohl and Novoselic to record an additional track for Tuc Eht Parc similar to the bonus track "Endless, Nameless" on Nevermind. The title of the track is unknown at the time.

December 15th, 1994: Cobain gives a lengthy interview with Rolling Stone magazine, in which he discusses the group's near break-up, the upcoming release of Tuc Eht Parc and his current state. In typical Cobain fashion, he dismisses any rumors of him wanting to break up the band because: "I'm a whiny emo poster boy who cries about everything...I was bored I guess. I found some inspiration with Tuc Eht Parc and while I don't like it as much as I did when I recorded Bleach for example, I'm definitely more content with this then I was a year ago." Many believe that Cobain's last statement implied he was suicidal at one point, but he vehemently denies the idea, stating: "I'm NOT fucking depressed...half of my whining shit is for the fangirls."

December 23rd, 1994: Nirvana embarks on what would be its final tour to promote Tuc Eht Parc, traveling across the United States.

February 4th, 1995: Nirvana returns from its tour.

February 6th, 1995: Tuc Eht Parc is released nationwide. The album receives a widely favorable reception, with critics praising the album's "complete departure from the mass-audience friendly sound of Nevermind", but only has lukewarm sales, with Cobain describing the album as: "Our Pet Sounds...hopefully." However, the album does generate three singles, including "Sammy Sendoff Says Hi", "You Know You're Right" and "Do Re Mi".

Last edited:
September 3rd 1994:After being impressed by their opening act at Woodstock 94 Taithba's Secert is singed by Atlantic Records and go ahead and start recording their debut album.

December 23rd 1994:The Tuc Eht Parc tour kicks off with Taithba's Secert as the opening act.

January 2th 1995:Shannon Hoon is released from rehab and is ready to start a new life.

Last edited:
March 21st, 1995: Realizing that Grohl was too talented to replace, coupled with his lack of overly intense passion for the group, Cobain officially announces Nirvana's break-up. He states that he intends to forge his own solo career recording the music he likes with whoever he wants to, all while being a good dad to his kids.

March 24th, 1995: Cobain and Love's son, Patrick David Cobain, is born.

March 30th, 1995: In an interview on The Tonight Show, the three ex-members explain what they intend to do moving forward. Cobain, as he stated before, is going to record music as a solo artist, Grohl is going to start up his dream project, the "Foo Fighters" and Krist Novosellic is tired of music in general and announces that he's going to forge a career in politics. Cobain says that he supports him, but jokes that if Novosellic "pulls any of that Reagan shit, you're not invited to my kids' birthdays as the dorky uncle."

April 5th, 1995: Cobain accepts an offer from Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins to record a song with him entitled "Bullet with Butterfly Wings", on the grounds that Cobain sings the chorus, while Corgan sings the rest of the song.

May 10th, 1995: On a controversial episode of The Ren and Stimpy Show, a song written by Cobain entitled "Jealousy Red" plays a prominent role. When asked why he wrote a song for the show, Cobain replies: "Have you even SEEN that show?!" (Cobain was going to write a song for the show in the OTL)

July 4th, 1995: After much debating, Cobain, Grohl and Novosellic reluctantly accept President Bill Clinton's offer to perform at the White House as Nirvana for one last time on Independence Day. The concert, which is televised and aired on MtV as "Rock the Vote with Nirvana", to help with Clinton's re-election campaign next year, is a roaring success, with many of the fans, while sad that their favorite band is breaking up, praising the camaraderie between the members, in spite of the break-up.

July 7th, 1995: Cobain begins work on his debut solo album. Details are unknown at the time, but sources close to Cobain claim that: "He's [Kurt] taking this much more seriously then anything he did in the last year or so."

Last edited:
September 10th, 1995: Cobain generates widespread controversy and outright confusion after he is spotted hanging out with rising rap star The Notorious B.I.G at a nightclub in Manhattan. Cobain immediately responds to the controversy, defending his choice by saying: "It's fags like a lot of my fans who cause music wars when they can't accept the idea of artists of two different genres hanging out as if we don't think each other has cooties like a five year old." The Notorious B.I.G declined to comment on the fiasco, but sources close to him state he was outright confused that his fans would have beef with him befriending a rock musician.

September 9th 1995:Tabitha's Secert release their debut studio album This is Tabitha's Secert which is a mix of arena rock from the 70s and grunge.

A special contribution to the album is Dave Ghrol as he plays acoustic guitar on the hit single 3am.

September 13th, 1995: Cobain's daughter Frances, ever the media darling, defends her father's choice in friends, bluntly stating: "Daddy can be friends with who HE wants to!"

September 24th, 1995: Cobain finishes writing all of the songs for his solo album and intends to start recording within a couple of days.

September 25th, 1995: The self-titled debut studio album of the Foo Fighters, Dave Grohl's new band, is released. The album receives positive reviews, with several critics praising Grohl's seamless transition from drummer to frontman. The album spawns several singles, including "This is a Call", "I'll Stick Around", "For All the Cows", "Big Me" and "Alone + Easy Target".

September 27th, 1995: Cobain calls Grohl to congratulate him on his success with the Foo Fighters' first album, telling him: "My incessant grumbling and whining did some good after all!"

Last edited: