Coach Ford and President Schembechler!

I am a lifelong, bleeds Maize and Blue Michigan Wolverine fan, and so after joining this board and reading some of the historical what-ifs, this one occurred to me...

After graduating from the University of Michigan in 1935, the real life Gerald Ford went to Yale Law School and served as an assistant coach for the Yale gridiron team. Here's where my what-if veers off in a different direction from real life. Instead of going into politics, Ford decides to make coaching his career. He stays another season or two at Yale, then returns to his home state to work as an assistant coach at the University of Detroit, which still had a football team at the time. By the mid 1940s he is looking to move up to a head coach position, and is hired at Central Michigan University. Ford coaches the Chippewas until 1958, when he (instead of Bump Elliot as in real life) is offered and accepts the head coaching job at his alma mater, the University of Michigan. As a True Blue, loyal Wolverine, Coach Ford is now in his ultimate dream job and he remains Michigan's head coach until 1989 when he is replaced by long time assistant Gary Moeller.

Meanwhile, Glenn "Bo" Schembechler is born and raised in Barberton, Ohio and attends Miami (Ohio) University where he plays football for the famous Coach Woody Hayes. Schembechler does a bit of coaching after graduating from college, but then his old coach Hayes talks him into attending law school (this is where things take a turn away from real life). Bo remains a football enthusiast, but finds he really enjoys the law and politics. And so he runs for Ohio state legislature and is elected, eventually moving up to the state Senate and then into a United States congressional seat, representing the district that includes his hometown of Barberton as well as Akron. He builds a reputation as a solid middle of the road Republican, and is well liked by his consituency. Fast forward to the early 1970s, when in real life the presidency of Richard Nixon is embroiled in scandal. Vice President Spiro Agnew is forced to resign, and President Nixon needs to appoint a new VP. He likes the young member of Congress from Ohio with the long and hard to pronounce last name, and so Bo Schembechler becomes Vice President of the United States...and then a couple years later when Nixon is forced to resign, Bo is sworn in as President. He serves until January 1977 when Jimmy Carter takes over. Bo then returns to athletics, taking a job as associate athletic director under AD Don Canham at the University of Michigan. When Canham retires in 1988, Schembechler takes the reigns of the entire Michigan sports program and remains as AD until his death at age 77 on November 17, 2006, the day before the annual Big Game against Ohio State.

Ah, hello from a current University of Michigan student and fellow Wolverine fan, Jerrybear! :)

I like your somewhat-swapping of the life stories of two Michigan alumni, it's certainly interesting. I can't really comment on the impact of such a switch-up, but it seems as though there would be extensive changes to history were such an event to occur.

Anyways, nice idea you've got here... although I don't know if a former president would really become a football coach, to be honest. Still, here it works for symmetry's sake, eh?

i think Gerald Ford would have made a good football coach, given that he played varsity ball at Michigan and had the leadership ability to hold high national political office. Who knows, maybe he would have even done better in the Bowl games than Bo did, that being Bo's one major weakness as a coach.

I have Bo becoming AD at Michigan after serving the remainder of Nixon's term as president. I guess i sort of left that part of the story the same as the real life Ford presidency, in that he never really got elected to the presidency but filled in for an elected president who resigned.

RCTFI: good to see another Wolverine here!!! i attended Dearborn campus my first year of undergrad before transfering to Central Michigan, got my Library Science master's from UM Ann Arbor, and am currently a librarian at Flint campus and serve on a couple of committees in Ann Arbor. And from the time i was able to sing "The Victors," i have been a Michigan fan.

You stated that both Ford and Bo were Michigan alums, but actually this is not the case. Bo actually attended Miami of Ohio (playing for the same coach who would become his arch nemesis, Woody Hayes).

There is a great book that recently came out called "War As They Knew It" that deals with the "Ten Year War" between Bo and Woody, in the context of the other, often wildly contrasting, things that were going on at the time like the Hippie counterculture, the Peace movement against teh Vietnam War, and so on. I recommend reading it if you have not already.