Cliche Maps

Anyone want a cliche map thread were we try to make the most cliche maps imaginable?
Beedok posted this in the Map Thread. I took it and added independent California, divided Australia, Russian Alyeska, and Absurdly Overpowered Japan.

cliche2.PNG

You forgot to mention the Inevitable Republic of Deseret and a divided CSA.

I think one cliche thing, or rather something that simply makes me "gah!," is when people have curvy, un-jagged borders. It just seems unrealistic and silly to me.

You forgot to mention the Inevitable Republic of Deseret and a divided CSA.

I think one cliche thing, or rather something that simply makes me "gah!," is when people have curvy, un-jagged borders. It just seems unrealistic and silly to me.
Beedok already had them. I took this from a post he made in the Map Thread.

where's the Commonwealth of Virgnia/Vermont Republic/Republic of New England/Federal States of America/Kingdom of Michigan/Independent Texas/Independent Yucan?

Here are some items that seem to have been forgotten:

* Kingdom of Tibet
* State of Manchukuo
* Kingdom of Patagonia
* Kingdom of Scotland
* Quechua (Inca) Empire
* Republic of China (cap. in Nanjing)
* Basque Republic
* Republic of Catalonia
* Tlingit Confederacy
* Islamic Republic of Al-Andalus
* Hapsburgh Empire of Austria-Hungary
* Sequoyah

My least favourite map cliches are:

- The Berlin Conference happens in a lot of timelines, apparently. So the borders of Western Sahara are everywhere. Even though they were drawn with a ruler.

- A consequence of the first: Western Sahara is attached to Morocco as soon as Morocco becomes independent. As if the locals had been waiting for it.

-Speaking of waiting for it, the Rousillon (roughly OTL Departement des Pyrenees Orientales) is always lost to France by Spain/Aragon/Catalonia/whoever no matter what the POD.

-Spain does not ever increase their holdings in Southern France. Ever. The Pyrenees are impassable for the Spanish.

-On the other hand, the Pyrenees are not impassable for France, which often encompasses the whole of Catalonia and sometimes the Basque country in quite a few modern and contemporary TLs without a problem, self-determination, terrorism, etc. Apparently the logistics of keeping several million people conquered at the other side of a single decent mountain pass is, contrary to historical evidence, apparently a walk in the park in AH.

...and the historical evidence is that the Pyrenees are passable by invitation only (1283, 1367, 1808, 1823) Must be because nobody invites Spain to parties.

- And another: even if the POD is before 1800, Olivenza stays Spanish. PoD in the 1100, Galicia and Leon never go to Portugal. Or expand through the plains on Extremadura, or get to Huelva, which is not geographically impossible.

-What about Jamaica always going to the British? How about Isla de los Pinos (today Isla de la Juventud, Cuba) or the Paraguaná Peninsula (Venezuela, and very very very nearly an island) instead?

-Annam being conquered by the French, Germans or whoever at the end of impossible supply lines. In OTL the French did it by getting Spanish help from the Philippines- and then refusing to honour the terms of the treaty with the response "...Spain would be well advised to look elsewhere for compensation..."

Which,by the way, is the EXACT diplomatic rendering of "vais te faire voir chez les Grecs, a voir si j'y suis là bas" (Literally, go to have the Greeks have a look at you and see if I'm there. The intended meaning in colloquial French is probably understood anyway, but left as an exercise for the reader.)

If Canada isn't a Kingdom, it's part of the USA.

US annexation of Canada is fairly common in North America maps, still.

Throw in Quebec somehow taking Labrador, Newfoundland, and the Maritimes in several maps. Since those are Anglophone provinces or areas with their own proud histories, I'd shudder to imagine the language crap it'd try to impose in what would presumably be a cliche once you write about them. :rolleyes:

*wonders if making a map with a reduced-in-territory independent Quebec would be worth a shot*

Here are a few more nations that pop up :

* Republic of Louisiana
* French Mexico
* Confederation of Palestine
* Mahdist State of Egypt/Sudan
* Persian Empire
* Kingdom of Muscovy
* Iroquois Confederation

how about this map I made for an aborted timeline idea I had:eek::p:(:D
p.s. I apologize ahead for how badly thought out this map is it was my first attempt at a map not counting some editing for a nation game so please no flames

Map Guide
Blue-Grand Republic Of The New United Kingdoms/Capital-High Providence (OTL DC)
Lavender-Gran Columbia/Capital-Bogota
Green-Hy-Brazil/Capital-Brasilia
Sea Green-The Dominion Of Lemuria/Capital-El Dorado
Brown-Disputed area between Hy-Brazil and Lemuria
Red-4th Reich/Capital-Germania
Olive-Persian Empire/Capitals-Cairo,Jerusalem,Mecca,and Kabul
Light Brown-Pakistan/Capital-need help with capital name
Pink-Soviet Remnants/same here
Orange-Empire Of The Rising Sun/Capital-Tokyo
Yellow-Mauritanian Commonwealth/and with the next three as well
Grey-Ivory Kingdom
Purple-Congo Republic
Light Blue-Apartheid Principalities

attachment.php

how about this map I made for an aborted timeline idea I had:eek::p:(:D
p.s. I apologize ahead for how badly thought out this map is it was my first attempt at a map not counting some editing for a nation game so please no flames

Map Guide
Blue-Grand Republic Of The New United Kingdoms/Capital-High Providence (OTL DC)
Lavender-Gran Columbia/Capital-Bogota
Green-Hy-Brazil/Capital-Brasilia
Sea Green-The Dominion Of Lemuria/Capital-El Dorado
Brown-Disputed area between Hy-Brazil and Lemuria
Red-4th Reich/Capital-Germania
Olive-Persian Empire/Capitals-Cairo,Jerusalem,Mecca,and Kabul
Light Brown-Pakistan/Capital-need help with capital name
Pink-Soviet Remnants/same here
Orange-Empire Of The Rising Sun/Capital-Tokyo
Yellow-Mauritanian Commonwealth/and with the next three as well
Grey-Ivory Kingdom
Purple-Congo Republic
Light Blue-Apartheid Principalities

Oh wow. One fell swoop. It's really an elegant combination of more cliches than you could possibly have realized!

I'm ginvg to scream now...

Oh wow. One fell swoop. It's really an elegant combination of more cliches than you could possibly have realized!
I'm sorry about that I wasn't really thinking too much about historical plausibility when I thought of this idea for a setting which was sort of Peshawar Lancers-meets-Cthulhu Tech-meets-World Of Darkness-meets-Scion-meets-Godlike/Wild Talents(at least in retrospect) which due to me being more concentrated on the more fantastic elements led me to disregard Historical Plausibility and just give cool sounding names to giant Empires that don't make much sense and thus I apologize for assaulting your eyes and brains and thus all I wish is some help and friendly advice on how to avoid this in the future:D:eek::(:p

Last edited: