Civilitatem Resurrectio ~ A Pangea Proxima Worldbuilding Project

Base Maps & OP
PbNsJLz.png

Civilitatem Resurrectio
A Pangea Proxima Worldbuilding Project

For quite a while I've wanted to make a map for Pangea Proxima if just to see what it looks like in a WorldA format, and with this Lockdown situation I finally got around to it! From there I kinda just kept going, and so I thought i'd create a more dedicated thread for it. I plan on building a little bit of a 'beginning of civilization' style timeline out of it now, something else I've wanted to do since being inspired by both Tellarus and Jaredia which have incredible detail invested into them by their various designers that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading - so thanks to their creators for the inspiration. As such, welcome to the world of Pangea Proxima. I'm yet to come up with a name for the world in the eyes of the natives, in fact I may not even end up naming it until we're a ways through the timeline, an until then i'll just refer to it as Pangea Proxima or Earth. For those of you who do not know, Pangea Proxima is a hypothesised super-continent that may form on earth in around 250,000,000 years. Caused by the rising of Antartica towards Africa, the crashing of Africa into Europe and the alamgamation of the Americas into a sort of 'arc' like landmass centred around a massive central sea - it truly reshapes the world as we know it and marks the second time in history Earth has been known to be in a 'Pangea' like megacontinent.
---
In Civilitatem Resurrectio we will enter the world assuming that Humanity, for whatever reason, either ceased to exist in their known form or were subject to some form of near mass extinction event millions of years ago. I like to think that in this timeline society ended with an enormous nuclear exchange that annihilated most of the species if not from the initial exchange, then from the winter and climate change that followed. No society survived, no state made it. As such Humanity evolved to adapt to the new more irradiated earth that only the strongest and most unique of people could survive in. Over time the earth repaired and recovered, while Humanity sort of staggered on as the wildlife and environment on the earth recovered alongside them. Now, in the year 250,002,020, through natural evolutionary processes Humanity has in essence re-adapted back to it's Homo Sapien form (perhaps minus some oddities like an appendix and a tail bone). Might sound a tad far fetched, but hey it's the best timeline that works with the story for me, feel free to make your own hypothesis yourselves!

Base WorldA Map
fdMvtwg.png

Map Variations

Base Map with Rivers
oNDn2y6.png

Latitude & Longitude Map
77hzEe4.png

Assumed Tectonic Plates Map
d6IuguO.png

Height Map with Rivers
z3kiU7P.png

Currents Map with Rivers
SgUz8m6.png

Winds & Weather Zones Map
Z8eQbhB.png

Climate Map (tba)
tba

Climate Map with Rivers (tba)
tba

Racial Distribution Map (tba)
tba

Staple Crop Origins Map (tba)
tba

Precious Resources Map (tba)
tba

Last edited:
Here's something that I think could be very helpful: Dice Roll Model. For when you're attempting to model the growth of any new civilizations.

Another helpful link: Concordia. This is the longest-lived worldbuilding project that I know of, and is an example of the Dice Roll Model in action. It might prove useful to you @TheReformer to know how it was done by others.

And finally I have one question: Is anyone familiar with other sites where this type of content exists? I find it fascinating.

Last edited:
Here's something that I think could be very helpful: Dice Roll Model. For when you're attempting to model the growth of any new civilizations.

Another helpful link: Concordia. This is the longest-lived worldbuilding project that I know of, and is an example of the Dice Roll Model in action. It might prove useful to you @TheReformer to know how it was done by others.

And finally I have one question: Is anyone familiar with other sites where this type of content exists? I find it fascinating.

Dear god, I had no idea people were still using my dice model I made for Concordia... not something I'd expected to see ever again after that project died.

As for similar sites, there are a lot more robust worldbulding communities out there than back when Concordia was first being made, but they are generally not fond of collaborative projects being hosted on there so you're more likely to see the culmination of individual efforts on those websites rather than things analogous to Concordia or something like this thread.

Dear god, I had no idea people were still using my dice model I made for Concordia... not something I'd expected to see ever again after that project died.

As for similar sites, there are a lot more robust worldbulding communities out there than back when Concordia was first being made, but they are generally not fond of collaborative projects being hosted on there so you're more likely to see the culmination of individual efforts on those websites rather than things analogous to Concordia or something like this thread.
Could you link these sites?

Fascinating!
The first humanity would have left its own mark in the geological record, with a layer of rock rich in heavy metals from pollution and nuclear fallout, most of which will have decayed to stable elements, similar to the iridium-rich layer at the end of the Cretaceous. It's weird to think about the legacy of modern day from the same sort of distant perspective that we view the Permian period.

Do you need any help with the climate? I've sketched out biomes for earthlike worlds like this, and I could offer some input.

Fascinating!
The first humanity would have left its own mark in the geological record, with a layer of rock rich in heavy metals from pollution and nuclear fallout, most of which will have decayed to stable elements, similar to the iridium-rich layer at the end of the Cretaceous. It's weird to think about the legacy of modern day from the same sort of distant perspective that we view the Permian period.
Indeed, just gotta work out roughly where all those flattened cities would be on the map now haha

Do you need any help with the climate? I've sketched out biomes for earthlike worlds like this, and I could offer some input.
Should have the climate up in a few days, thus far I've got the jungles laid out. Would be great if you had a look yourself once it's done though for any suggested edits.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Fascinating concept! Consider me subscribed :) I'd also like to offer my services if they can be of any use, although I'm only really good at maps and flags I could help with general worldbuilding.

I hope you don't think it too forward of me to jot some of my thoughts down below:

I know I'm jumping ahead, but just sort of thinking about what the "modern day" of this world might look like. Maybe sort of steampunk style society, with airships instead of planes, etc.

----Human Evolution----

I love the idea of humans re-emerging without some of the vestigial traits we currently have, however if I might propose 2-4 intelligent human-descended species inhabiting this world:

Homo sapiens - the most numerous and widespread "human" species on the planet, broadly similar to modern humans minus some vestigial traits (like the appendix, tailbone). Divided into numerous ethnic, cultural and linguistic groups across the continent.

Home dryadalis - the least populous of the three major species, generally concentrated on the coastal regions of the inland sea, with colonies around the world on islands and coastal ports. Characterised as generally taller and slender than H. sapiens, they also possess auricular muscles giving them mobile pointed ears, and a larger cranium. Gestation times are longer. They form the dominant group politically and economically, through their control of maritime and air trade. Some sort of Hanseatic League governs the various cities? I imagine matriarchal systems of government, and a monotheistic religion venerating the moon goddess.

Homo neanderthalensis - a re-evolved version of the ancient neanderthals. Generally smaller than H. sapiens, although stockier, with denser musculature and bone structure. Adapted to high-altitude climates, they have also re-evolved the nictitating membrane to protect their eyes during snow/sand storms. Populations are found in desert and mountain regions, while urban populations are used as [slave?] labourers.

Homo marsupialis - based on this piece of evolutionary research. Depending on when modern humans wiped themselves out, perhaps a team of evolutionary biologists at some point engineered this species. After the nuclear fire wiped out most of humanity, their ancestors survived and eventually thrived in isolation (the big islands in the southwest or northeast would be perfect for them). Minimal contact with the other species except for some H. drydalis explorers,

Homo marsupialis - based on this piece of evolutionary research. Depending on when modern humans wiped themselves out, perhaps a team of evolutionary biologists at some point engineered this species. After the nuclear fire wiped out most of humanity, their ancestors survived and eventually thrived in isolation (the big islands in the southwest or northeast would be perfect for them). Minimal contact with the other species except for some H. drydalis explorers,
I don't think you are using a reliable source for the basis of this species.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I don't think you are using a reliable source for the basis of this species.

I never said it was a reliable source - though there are plenty of articles documenting the anatomist Alice Roberts' project (she's also a medical doctor) see here. I was more just throwing it out there as an interesting thought...

I, by contrast, am not great at either so both would be very helpful!!

Excellent :)

Well that is disturbing looking x'D I'll think about where they might exist based on the maps and see if they could even have evolved on this world. Well found though.

Homo neanderthalensis
I think i'll leave these out if just because I think the fact they didnt survive our current circumstances suggests they probably wouldnt re-emerge again

Home dryadalis
These could be an interetsing addition. Perhaps not in the socio-political form you describe but as an additional species they could be an interesting addition. I'll have them be around at the start.