Status
Not open for further replies.
*spits coffee*
FUCK dude that’s dark/hilarious
Given his navy background, I suggest in Swimming. Go full Mark Spitz !

I'm not sure that you've established where the Olympics have been so far, only that they are in 4n+2 (with world cup in 4n) flipped from OTL. As such, the 1918 Olympics would likely be in the USA (with only a few other countries that would have hosted in the first 30 years of the olympics being outside the CEW other than the UK).

As best as I can tell, there were 7 men's swimming events in 1912 & 1920 OTL olympics:
100 Free
400 Free
1500 Free
100 Back
200 Breast
4x200 Free
400 Breast

Hyped for FDR as an Olympic gold medalist ITTL
Could possibly work. We saw mention of Olympic games in 1903 (St. Louis) and 1906 (Milan), after which they are stated to shift from a 3-year to a 4-year schedule. I didn't find anything about a 1910 Olympics, and Americans probably wouldn't attend a 1914 Games (due to being in the middle of a war and all). 1918 could be a possibility.

FDR could potentially have competed in either the 1906 or 1910 games, if that flashback was a thing the author wanted to do.

Correct. And that’s quite possibly the direction I go - I have something very specific in mind for FDR meant to serve as about as polar opposite of OTL as possible, but still undecided on that.
The Libs are scheduled to win in 1932 and 1936 - having FDR be on the losing end of a landslide in either of those years would certainly fit the bill (and be quite funny too, to me at least)

Speaking of FDR, with the Dems now once again in control of the House, I have to imagine that something akin to the 20th Amendment is actively being discussed in Congress at the moment (possibly with slightly different dates than the OTL version). A huge crisis like the GAW would certainly make clear how absolutely absurd it was to have the president wait 4 months to take office, and to not require Congress to meet until over a year after being elected.

Last edited:
The Libs are scheduled to win in 1932 and 1936 - having FDR be on the losing end of a landslide in either of those years would certainly fit the bill (and be quite funny too, to me at least)

Speaking of FDR, with the Dems now once again in control of the House, I have to imagine that something akin to the 20th Amendment is actively being discussed in Congress at the moment (possibly with slightly different dates than the OTL version). A huge crisis like the GAW would certainly make clear how absolutely absurd it was to have the president wait 4 months to take office, and to not require Congress to meet until over a year after being elected.
That italicized part has already been more or less corrected in practice during the Sulzer years, but yes, something along the lines of the 20A will be coming down the pike effectively the second the war is over (which would make it the 16A iTTL)

My thinking, tbh, was that there's less definition around their colors/uniforms. The US probably wears some kind of muted blue or muted khaki as in WW1 and the CSA probably has shifted from their butternut of the ACW to something more like German Feldgrau. So you'd notice a difference. Probably different helmets, too. (CSA being tight with France may have imported Adrian helmets, for instance, or at least used the general design as a jumping-off point)
Weirdly, i came across this and feel like it fits this pretty well, maybe ITTL it could be war propaganda for the Hellfighters, only change would be the helmets on the soldiers.

IMG_4228.JPG

Between Two Chiles
"...Dartnell formally signed the ceasefire agreement in view of a line of Argentine officers and then shook all of their hands in turn; for the first night in weeks, Los Andes was silent without the thunder of shells whistling down from the hills above it, and Dartnell dined with his counterpart Luis Dellepiane, one of the Argentine Army's more senior commanders and, crucially, a key confidant of the ailing former President Leandro Alem, still viewed as the eminence grise of Buenos Aires even in de jure retirement. At this dinner, Dellepiane and his other officers noted that their orders from Buenos Aires were to give the Chileans seven days to formally surrender from the start of the mutual ceasefire and suggested that Dartnell make plain to both civilian and military leaders in Santiago that this offer had an expiration date; playing on Dartnell's nationalist pride, he also gently encouraged him to consider the political implications of Peruvian and Bolivian soldiers in Santiago rather than the culturally and ethnically similar Argentines, or even the Americans.

In the end, even this carefully-worded threat was not necessary. Altamirano, who was the person actually in charge in Santiago at this point, was not one of Chile's most brilliant statesmen or generals but he was the man the country needed at that exact moment, recognizing the bleakness of his options with his famous quote, "I cannot keep my armies and Santiago fed with pride." Peace meant an end to starvation, skyrocketing prices and civil unrest; war meant societal collapse. Dartnell readily agreed and proposed that Dellepiane arrive in Santiago in a week's time to accept a formal surrender, which Dellepiane accepted.

With that, on April 28th, 1915, the war in Chile essentially ended on the ground; before long, it would end on paper. On May 2nd, General Wright arrived under flag of peace in Valparaiso with a small honor guard and traveled to Los Andes, marveling at the majestic beauty of the land but also stunned when he saw the crippling poverty of the people. Wright and Dellepiane's meeting at Los Andes was the first time that two field commanders of the two main Axis powers met in person; they would enter Santiago together and accept on May 5th in the Plaza de Armas the formal surrender of Chile to the United States and Argentina from Altamirano and Barros, with Wright declining to accept Altamirano's sword or pistol with the words, "A gentleman should keep his arms." Considering the intense fighting just days earlier, it was a remarkably polite scene, with the victors further ingratiating themselves to the local public by raising their flags alongside, rather than in lieu of, Chile's lone star banner.

Events after the war would of course be perhaps just as, if not more, complicated than the last months of the war itself, and there was still a formal - and punitive - peace treaty to be signed, but on May 5th, Armistice Day, there was an exhausted relief in Chile that the war was perhaps finally over, especially as the trade blockade ended and Wright urgently encouraged foreign relief organizations to attempt to stabilize the deterioriating situation in Santiago..."

- Between Two Chiles

Good thing the Chileans ended the war first before they go through the radical phase of their revolution; even if that might be several years away rather than do what the Bolsheviks did with the Treaty of Brest Litovsk.

"...Dartnell formally signed the ceasefire agreement in view of a line of Argentine officers and then shook all of their hands in turn; for the first night in weeks, Los Andes was silent without the thunder of shells whistling down from the hills above it, and Dartnell dined with his counterpart Luis Dellepiane, one of the Argentine Army's more senior commanders and, crucially, a key confidant of the ailing former President Leandro Alem, still viewed as the eminence grise of Buenos Aires even in de jure retirement. At this dinner, Dellepiane and his other officers noted that their orders from Buenos Aires were to give the Chileans seven days to formally surrender from the start of the mutual ceasefire and suggested that Dartnell make plain to both civilian and military leaders in Santiago that this offer had an expiration date; playing on Dartnell's nationalist pride, he also gently encouraged him to consider the political implications of Peruvian and Bolivian soldiers in Santiago rather than the culturally and ethnically similar Argentines, or even the Americans.

In the end, even this carefully-worded threat was not necessary. Altamirano, who was the person actually in charge in Santiago at this point, was not one of Chile's most brilliant statesmen or generals but he was the man the country needed at that exact moment, recognizing the bleakness of his options with his famous quote, "I cannot keep my armies and Santiago fed with pride." Peace meant an end to starvation, skyrocketing prices and civil unrest; war meant societal collapse. Dartnell readily agreed and proposed that Dellepiane arrive in Santiago in a week's time to accept a formal surrender, which Dellepiane accepted.

With that, on April 28th, 1915, the war in Chile essentially ended on the ground; before long, it would end on paper. On May 2nd, General Wright arrived under flag of peace in Valparaiso with a small honor guard and traveled to Los Andes, marveling at the majestic beauty of the land but also stunned when he saw the crippling poverty of the people. Wright and Dellepiane's meeting at Los Andes was the first time that two field commanders of the two main Axis powers met in person; they would enter Santiago together and accept on May 5th in the Plaza de Armas the formal surrender of Chile to the United States and Argentina from Altamirano and Barros, with Wright declining to accept Altamirano's sword or pistol with the words, "A gentleman should keep his arms." Considering the intense fighting just days earlier, it was a remarkably polite scene, with the victors further ingratiating themselves to the local public by raising their flags alongside, rather than in lieu of, Chile's lone star banner.

Events after the war would of course be perhaps just as, if not more, complicated than the last months of the war itself, and there was still a formal - and punitive - peace treaty to be signed, but on May 5th, Armistice Day, there was an exhausted relief in Chile that the war was perhaps finally over, especially as the trade blockade ended and Wright urgently encouraged foreign relief organizations to attempt to stabilize the deterioriating situation in Santiago..."

- Between Two Chiles
And so...My Prediction of Centroamerica outlasting Chile has come true.
Also shouldn't Representatives of Peru and Bolivia also be present during the Armistice?
BTW, What are the naming conventions of fronts of GAW?

Last edited:
Two quick questions based on the Chile post and responses.
1) Is the Red Cross *significantly* different iTTL? Theoretically, the first meetings of the Red Cross are after the POD, but given that the only nations that showed up were European, I doubt the initial meetings/Geneva Convention are butterflied. (The CSA,like the US, Mexico and Brazil might get initial invitations, but no Western Hemisphere nation attended)
2) I *guess* the United States is at war with Centroamerica, but if so, the *Mexicans* will tell Centro to sign a treaty when they decide they are getting out of the war. This of course assumes that Centro even exists after the war.

(and yeah, I'd add in Bolivian and Peruvian representatives)

Ah too bad, was hoping for American ships to shell Valparaiso. Justice for 1885!

Then again, they literally sunk everything larger than a fishing boat so 🤷‍♂️

Ah too bad, was hoping for American ships to shell Valparaiso. Justice for 1885!

There are many Confederate towns to burn, and after Hilton Head the US Navy could pay New Orleans, Charleston, Galveston or Mobile a visit.

There are many Confederate towns to burn, and after Hilton Head the US Navy could pay New Orleans, Charleston, Galveston or Mobile a visit.
1678987732453.png

Along with Mexican Coastal cities (both coasts).

The US has probably shelled a few cities on the Mexican Pacific coast, the Mexican Pacific fleet isn't in *much* better shape than the Chilean. And if they get bored, Brazilian or Centro. The question at this point is whether the US Navy would get to the point where they would be willing to blockade the CSA *regardless* of what the British say. I doubt it, given it another 20 years though...

With the Americans having moved through the Canal, I'm not sure *who* has the largest fleet in the Eastern Pacific, probably British, just from what's docked in Honolulu and Vancouver.

Last edited:
Good thing the Chileans ended the war first before they go through the radical phase of their revolution; even if that might be several years away rather than do what the Bolsheviks did with the Treaty of Brest Litovsk.
Yeah, definitely a much different situation here, though the economic depression/famine Chile is nonetheless staring down the maw of sets the stage for the increasingly radical politics of the place
And so...My Prediction of Centroamerica outlasting Chile has come true.
Also shouldn't Representatives of Peru and Bolivia also be present during the Armistice?
BTW, What are the naming conventions of fronts of GAW?
At the treaty negotiations, sure. But keeping them up north while entering the capital is just a matter of trying to make things smooth and non-humiliating to get Chile to throw their weapons down more easily

Eastern, Midlands and Western between US/CS, Mexican Front for that action in Chihuahua (bleeds with Western a bit), Isthmian Front in Centro, Southern Cone for the rest Id say.

Two quick questions based on the Chile post and responses.
1) Is the Red Cross *significantly* different iTTL? Theoretically, the first meetings of the Red Cross are after the POD, but given that the only nations that showed up were European, I doubt the initial meetings/Geneva Convention are butterflied. (The CSA,like the US, Mexico and Brazil might get initial invitations, but no Western Hemisphere nation attended)
2) I *guess* the United States is at war with Centroamerica, but if so, the *Mexicans* will tell Centro to sign a treaty when they decide they are getting out of the war. This of course assumes that Centro even exists after the war.

(and yeah, I'd add in Bolivian and Peruvian representatives)
1) see no reason it’d be different
2) Yeah, probably. That they’ve been fighting in Nicaragua for almost two years Probably means it’s a formal war

They probably have shelled Valpo a fair bit, just not staging a landing there like further north
That's a great point!
View attachment 818542

Along with Mexican Coastal cities (both coasts).

The US has probably shelled a few cities on the Mexican Pacific coast, the Mexican Pacific fleet isn't in *much* better shape than the Chilean. And if they get bored, Brazilian or Centro. The question at this point is whether the US Navy would get to the point where they would be willing to blockade the CSA *regardless* of what the British say. I doubt it, given it another 20 years though...

With the Americans having moved through the Canal, I'm not sure *who* has the largest fleet in the Eastern Pacific, probably British, just from what's docked in Honolulu and Vancouver.
😈😈😈

Southern Cone for the rest Id say.
Can't we split it between a cisplatine front between Brazil and Argentina and Andean Front/Pacific Front for Chilean shenanigans.
Also the Battle Rio Plate Wikibox said that it was part of Cisplatine theater.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.