Status
Not open for further replies.
The Confederate-Brazilian Combined Fleet did not realize, however, that Murdock had moved his formations - in three columns, commanded by himself, Admiral William Rodgers, and the newly-promoted Commander Franklin Roosevelt - to a point approximately a hundred kilometers off of Savannah, allowing him to rapidly respond to any movement by Hobson towards any of the three major ports in the area at Charleston, Savannah or Saint Augustine or, as it so happened, cut him off ahead of Port Royal Roads..."

- The Fourth Branch: A Comprehensive History of the United States Navy
FVPuk_fVIAIoGp3.jpg

So the model is not Tsushima, but rather Midway (or something similar)
Kinda both but a blend of the two, yeah. Hobson’s not an idiot he just got outsnookered (and, quite understandably, probably assumed Murdock’s fleet would stay in the Caribbean to defend sea lines to Nicaragua)
yay FDR!

also usually I find naval campaigns unclear and boring but you did a good job making it clear and fun
Haha well that’s good because I find naval action a giant chore to write and didn’t finally crack the tactical maneuvers at play until yesterday, that’s what I’d been putting off

I was wanting him to become a War hero Politician ala Harrisson or Jackson.

He won't become President, obviously - but I could still see him as Smith's successor and protege as governor and then moving into the US Senate for New York. And seeing Senator Franklin D. Roosevelt is pretty awesome. I wonder if surviving the war has a similar impact on his personality that getting polio did.

but I could still see him as Smith's successor and protege as governor and then moving into the US Senate for New York.
I can see him as Pershing's "advisor" VP who definitely doesn't run the entire government in the name of Pershing who despite wanting to be President understands nothing and needs "help".

I can see him as Pershing's "advisor" VP who definitely doesn't run the entire government in the name of Pershing who despite wanting to be President understands nothing and needs "help".
Yeah, but I suspect that FDR is still a Democrat - his family were the Democratic branch of the Roosevelts in OTL, and in this ATL where his cousin Teddy has already made the leap to the Dem party there's much less reason for him to leave. Remember in OTL, FDR was dedicated enough to the party that he ran as a Dem in a heavily Republican state district and still won a position in the state government as the first Democrat from that district to do so since before the Civil War. His dedication to the Dems wasn't out of political expediency but because that was his party.

Yeah, but I suspect that FDR is still a Democrat - his family were the Democratic branch of the Roosevelts in OTL, and in this ATL where his cousin Teddy has already made the leap to the Dem party there's much less reason for him to leave. Remember in OTL, FDR was dedicated enough to the party that he ran as a Dem in a heavily Republican state district and still won a position in the state government as the first Democrat from that district to do so since before the Civil War. His dedication to the Dems wasn't out of political expediency but because that was his party.
So?
Pershing might be democrat candidate.

We know FDR is a Dem ITTL. This is from the Al Smith book about the NYS 1914 Democratic convention at MSG. (bold is mine)

Tammany's boss Charlie Murphy, in turn, was pushing for the nomination of their own Irish Catholic candidate - William F. Sheehan, a longtime figure in New York politics who brought the advantage of being from Buffalo, but the taint of Tammany was strong upon him even for the beating heart of the machine, especially once it was leaked to the New York Journal - Roosevelt's flagship tabloid - on the eve of the convention that Sheehan had written a letter to both the Mayor of Buffalo and to Murphy arranging for either the gubernatorial or Senate seat with promises of state patronage to both. [3] Young reformists in the party were appalled, but many of them were at war, particularly their ringleader Franklin Roosevelt - cousin to Theodore - who had resigned the legislature and was at sea with the US Navy.

Since Roosevelt ran 4 times and won in OTL, I want to see him become TTLs Harold Stassen, running 4 times for President and haplessly losing every time.

Since Roosevelt ran 4 times and won in OTL, I want to see him become TTLs Harold Stassen, running 4 times for President and haplessly losing every time.
Heh. That’d be kinda funny.

Im undecided on whether to use Stassen or not - feel like @Rattigan deploying him as the alt-FDR who just kept running and winning over and over for decades can’t be topped

Heh. That’d be kinda funny.

Im undecided on whether to use Stassen or not - feel like @Rattigan deploying him as the alt-FDR who just kept running and winning over and over for decades can’t be topped

Didn't you mention that the original plan for TR was to make him a political admiral before you decided you liked the newspaper baron angle better? There's something poetic about ultimately using it anyway for the other Roosevelt.
Also, if he's this TL's "he's always running" (to quote the Simpsons joke), that begs the question of whether he's actually nominated or if the Democrats just refuse to nominate him multiple times. I'd guess the latter.

Didn't you mention that the original plan for TR was to make him a political admiral before you decided you liked the newspaper baron angle better? There's something poetic about ultimately using it anyway for the other Roosevelt.
Also, if he's this TL's "he's always running" (to quote the Simpsons joke), that begs the question of whether he's actually nominated or if the Democrats just refuse to nominate him multiple times. I'd guess the latter.
Correct. And that’s quite possibly the direction I go - I have something very specific in mind for FDR meant to serve as about as polar opposite of OTL as possible, but still undecided on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.