Status
Not open for further replies.
So essentially if you're inthe interior and not on a road or railroad or in a city/town, life continues as it did before the Portuguese even owned the territory?
To some extent. You'll probably come across Portuguese Catholic missionaries every now and then, but the Portuguese tended to form alliances with local chieftains wherever they could unless they felt threatened (usually by another European power) and just went top-down in response.
I always feel bad for Portugal, they never seem to come out on top in any non-wank timeline. I mean geez, they have the Pink Map and even Katanga and all the wealth within. And they can't even access it, and seem like either they'll have to sell it off (the good option) or lose it in a war (the bad option).
Hopefully something goes their way - though it probably wouldn't be so good for their African subjects if it does...
Bear in mind, Katanga's vast wealth hadn't quite been discovered all the way by the mid-1910s; it would take some while for that place to really get up and running, and that was with industrial, rich Belgium in charge rather than poor, peripheral Portugal. The Pink Map would have been much more than Portugal had the resources to take on; it would still probably be better for the Portuguese monarchy if they had tried rather than enraging their country with OTL's capitulation to the Ultimatum.
You know, yes, Portugal would hate to give up the colony. But there's this Lusophone nation not that much further away that's related to the royal family, and they might be convinced to make a purchase - though I suspect Brazil's finances after this war are going to be a wreck.
Brazil probably also wouldn't want to take on anything before peace treaties that could interdict their ability to manage such as asset are done, anyways, even beyond the fact that the financials most certainly wouldn't pencil out.
Instead of (as seems likely) selling Austral-Africa to one or more other nations, couldn't they get private companies to buy up the mineral rights while retaining sovereignty?
The thing is they sort of already did this. Mozambique was semi-administered by chartered companies (sort of like the Rhodesia model) and I see no reason why that wouldn't be extended into the interior. It would be hard, I think, to make that work in places as isolated to 1910s technology as Katanga and the Shire Highlands anyways. The big economic booms in this part of Africa (under Britain at least) weren't until the 1920s and 1950s, the latter being when the rising prosperity creating a native middle class to demand independence.

Let's hope the Kingdom can swallow it's pride and let go of the colony.
OTL Estado Novo hold the colony till 1975, while fight a costly colonial war for decades. While it is under complete different circumstances, I don’t see Portuguese give up this soon, with decolonization still decades away.

OTL Estado Novo hold the colony till 1975, while fight a costly colonial war for decades. While it is under complete different circumstances, I don’t see Portuguese give up this soon, with decolonization still decades away.
True, but they better come up with a solution for their debts soon.

Instead of (as seems likely) selling Austral-Africa to one or more other nations, couldn't they get private companies to buy up the mineral rights while retaining sovereignty?

Well, there's a few different solutions which COULD, potentially, retain Portugese Africa for, uh, Portugal. The first, which I could see Britain pushing for, would be a policy of free trade. This is how Leopold II got Britain's support for his Congo disaster in OTL. If you throw the territory open to companies of other nations, you could certainly get the people in there to exploit the region's natural resources. However, you'd definitely see Portugal lose some of their control - and I'd bet that the second Portugal tried to intervene against, say, *British Rubber Ltd that Westminster would start coughing uncomfortably and suggesting that that isn't a particularly grand idea.

Another option would be to lease territory to other nations - perhaps make sure that the lands leased are in the interior, with Portugal retaining direct control over the coastlines and ports. This should, potentially, help keep said other nations from getting any weird ideas and any leasing agreement would likely still see a portion of the profits sent to Lisbon. However, once again, what's to stop Britain or Germany, after the lease runs out and Portugal wants to renegotiate, from saying "Eh, we've been running this place for the past twenty years. We've invested in its infrastructure and governed the land. We think maybe a sale would be the best idea. Oh, by the way, did you neglect to inform you that we ALSO connected it to our territories by rail? Huh. Fancy that. The communication must have been lost in the mail."

So, either way, Portugal runs the risk of losing control of the territory in the long term, though they may make short term gains on either option.

I suppose a third option would be to invite foreign workers in to help supply the manpower needed to govern the provinces. With the GAW about to come to an end, and the CEW about to start, there would certainly be mercs with experience willing to come in and be a military force. But, of course, it will take much more than that. And you'd run into the problem that good beaurocrats might be able to make a better living in their home nations than in Portugese Africa, so their wages would need to be high (and Portugal isn't exactly swimming in cash at the moment.)

In OTL, Portugal began a policy of encouraging Portugese migration to these colonies to help establish a loyal population base there, so opening that up further to -effectively - homesteaders, isn't beyond the realm of possibility. But you'd run the risk as to how loyal these foreign settlers would be to Lisbon if problems arose. And, furthermore, it would likely take quite some time before such an investment of time and energy began to pay dividends.

Well, there's a few different solutions which COULD, potentially, retain Portugese Africa for, uh, Portugal. The first, which I could see Britain pushing for, would be a policy of free trade. This is how Leopold II got Britain's support for his Congo disaster in OTL. If you throw the territory open to companies of other nations, you could certainly get the people in there to exploit the region's natural resources. However, you'd definitely see Portugal lose some of their control - and I'd bet that the second Portugal tried to intervene against, say, *British Rubber Ltd that Westminster would start coughing uncomfortably and suggesting that that isn't a particularly grand idea.

Another option would be to lease territory to other nations - perhaps make sure that the lands leased are in the interior, with Portugal retaining direct control over the coastlines and ports. This should, potentially, help keep said other nations from getting any weird ideas and any leasing agreement would likely still see a portion of the profits sent to Lisbon. However, once again, what's to stop Britain or Germany, after the lease runs out and Portugal wants to renegotiate, from saying "Eh, we've been running this place for the past twenty years. We've invested in its infrastructure and governed the land. We think maybe a sale would be the best idea. Oh, by the way, did you neglect to inform you that we ALSO connected it to our territories by rail? Huh. Fancy that. The communication must have been lost in the mail."

So, either way, Portugal runs the risk of losing control of the territory in the long term, though they may make short term gains on either option.

I suppose a third option would be to invite foreign workers in to help supply the manpower needed to govern the provinces. With the GAW about to come to an end, and the CEW about to start, there would certainly be mercs with experience willing to come in and be a military force. But, of course, it will take much more than that. And you'd run into the problem that good beaurocrats might be able to make a better living in their home nations than in Portugese Africa, so their wages would need to be high (and Portugal isn't exactly swimming in cash at the moment.)

In OTL, Portugal began a policy of encouraging Portugese migration to these colonies to help establish a loyal population base there, so opening that up further to -effectively - homesteaders, isn't beyond the realm of possibility. But you'd run the risk as to how loyal these foreign settlers would be to Lisbon if problems arose. And, furthermore, it would likely take quite some time before such an investment of time and energy began to pay dividends.
No good options! Lol

I'd add, of course, that Portugal was also notorious for shooting for self-sufficiency on their colonies rather than treating them as investments (they weren't alone in this, certainly). Angola didn't have proper roads even to transport their extracted goods to the metropole until the late 1920s. I see no reason why Portugal's political culture wouldn't have kept this largely the same; I think there were updates earlier in CdM about their struggles to attempt to build a rail line penetrating the interior, but if there wasn't, just keep in mind the paucity of infrastructure in Austral-Africa compared to other places.

1000%, probably until the end of the French State in the early 1990s.

Whether a Darlanist/Salanist/whoever-I-land-on-ist French State uses the guillotine or just a firing squad is the question
Public executions involving Madame Guillotine in an age of colour film and photography. That would be quite the spectacle to see, and also very gory. There are only 2 known films of executions via guillotine so I'd guess a whole lot more will end up existing ITTL.

Bleeding Heartland: The Midlands Front of the Great American War
"...regarded the fighting of late March and much of April 1915 as possibly the most savage along the Inner Line in the entire campaign. While both sides did their best to rotate fresh troops into the defensive trenches, it remained the case that many of the divisions brought off the immediate first line were kept nearby, with Confederates typically getting a mere two weeks leave in nearby Murfreesboro rather than back home, for fear that they might otherwise desert. Conditions in Nashville had gotten bleaker and bleaker, too; the Yankees had brought in specially-built long-range artillery that was meant not for precision but to randomly lob high-explosive shells or chlorine gas canisters behind the Inner Line for psychological purposes, with the risk that they could land anywhere; sometimes, spent shell casings were fired into Nashville just to flatten whatever they landed on and to demonstrate that nowhere behind the defenses was safe. Nashville was closer to a ghost town than a city, with perhaps as much as ninety percent of her prewar free population having been evacuated; slaves were seized by the Army and put to tasks of war, often dealing with sorting through dead bodies to identify them and prepare them for burial.

Something had to break eventually, and the break came on April 26th when the Inner Line finally showed her first crack at Gallatin, about forty kilometers northeast of the Tennessee State House and roughly halfway between the smaller industrial towns of Hendersonville and Hartsville. The wooded hills of the Highland Rim had by April of 1915 been reduced to little more than dead gray no man's land, pockmarked with impact craters, studded with the smoldering black stumps of what once were trees and littered with the occasional corpse that one of the combatants had been unable to safely collect. The destruction of the area's tree cover had, of course, made it much easier to identify from high ground and airplane the weak points in the Confederate line, and Farnsworth, mere days before he was to be cycled back and relieved of command, had deduced that the relatively low hills just north of Gallatin were the weak link in the Inner Line's chain of earthworks, minefields and pillboxes supporting the multiple layers of trenches.

Therefore, on the early morning of April 26th, an unholy artillery fair rained down on this segment of the Line, known as Section D-IV in Yankee planning maps, followed by a thrust straight through it by three Hellfighter regiments that managed to do what no offensive into the maw of the Line had done yet - punch their way through and onto the other side. Despite sustaining grievous casualties, the Hellfighters cracked the defenses at what was once the hamlet of Graball and before they knew it were on the road to Gallatin, with two corps under Lenihan directly to their rear. Lenihan's famed aggressiveness and thirst for high-paced offensives had made him the natural choice to lead American forces into the Battle of Gallatin; that he wanted to seize Nashville before he got sent to Virginia in mid-May to satisfy his ego certainly had something to do with the matter, too. By late in the day on the 27th, Lenihan could see the rooftops of Gallatin, less than two kilometers away; on the 28th, his men fought their way in.

The capture of Gallatin was a disaster for the Confederacy. Not only did it place American troops behind the Inner Line for the first time, it cut off the most direct route along the southern slopes of the Highland Rim to the eastern anchor of the Line in Hartsville, forcing Buck's supplies and men to instead be routed via Lebanon, south of the Cumberland. It gave Lenihan and the troops streaming in behind him once he sent word of his successful breakthrough all of the operational initiative - they could backfill their left flank and march on Hendersonville along the right bank of the Cumberland towards Nashville, they could hold fast and allow reinforcements to swing east and capture Hartsville, or they could cross the Cumberland and continue their effort to cut the Confederate logistics network in half by threatening Lebanon. Unless they were repulsed, and soon, Nashville would collapse.

Buck pulled regiment after regiment off their defenses in the Line to be marched into the eastern sector of the operational theater, electing to concentrate a corps in Hartsville and two in Lebanon; he did this under mobile light artillery fire brought into the "breach" at Graball that could penetrate deep into the Nashville Basin and strafing from airplanes, most lethally the new C-6 model from Curtiss-Wright Company which had built long guns into the fuselage to eliminate the need of a gunner, guns that fired 20mm ammunition rounds (a limited number, of course) and thus allowed for maximum destruction upon dive runs. Harried under this breaking fire, Buck's attempt to arrest the attempted breakout by Lenihan was considerably slowed.

Aware from reconnaissance where Buck was trying to meet him, Lenihan elected to draw Confederate defenses further from central Nashville and on April 30th crossed the Cumberland; on the morning of the 1st, both of his corps as well as two regiments of Hellfighters were successfully across, with an additional two corps now having plugged the gap behind him to defend his rear and prevent an attack from either Hartsville or Hendersonville. The Confederate position was, quite simply, in total collapse..."

- Bleeding Heartland: The Midlands Front of the Great American War

Has the US started to use gas attacks before the Confederacy in this war? Based on the Confederate activities in Maryland, it's not like the Union risks losing the moral high ground in the Confederate theater, but ... uffda. Not surprising considering the Confederates are, generally speaking, possessing a better organized military culture than the Union and the higher proportional casualties the Union has been taking. But ... well, I suppose it's a massive war in the early 20th century, so those particular horrors aren't going to be avoided.

As a note to those following this on a map. The Old Hickory Lock and Dam wasn't created until 1946 iOTL. So the Cumberland River East of Nashville (most of the way to Hartsville) is not widened the way that it is on today's maps. I look forward to the Battle of Lebanon for the Line to become *complete* unhinged.

Last edited:
As a note to those following this on a map. The Old Hickory Lock and Dam wasn't created until 1946 iOTL. So the Cumberland River East of Nashville (most of the way to Hartsville) is not widened the way that it is on today's maps.
One of the more maddening aspects of writing military operations in the early 20th century US is the need to constantly check if this or that lake existed at the time.

One of the more maddening aspects of writing military operations in the early 20th century US is the need to constantly check if this or that lake existed at the time.
And in cases like the Potomac River iTTL, the most likely setup for islands and coastline south of Georgetown may not be one that *ever* existed iOTL. The Potomac goes from a rocky fast moving river North of Georgetown to a semi-tidal soft bottom river South of it (the reason the C&O Canal starts between Georgetown and the Tidal Basin. ) Or to put it another way, being in a Kayak north of Georgetown is sport, being in a Kayak south of Georgetown is a commute.

No good options! Lol

I'd add, of course, that Portugal was also notorious for shooting for self-sufficiency on their colonies rather than treating them as investments (they weren't alone in this, certainly). Angola didn't have proper roads even to transport their extracted goods to the metropole until the late 1920s. I see no reason why Portugal's political culture wouldn't have kept this largely the same; I think there were updates earlier in CdM about their struggles to attempt to build a rail line penetrating the interior, but if there wasn't, just keep in mind the paucity of infrastructure in Austral-Africa compared to other places.
I mean, Portugal did shoot itself in the foot by failing in promoting emigration.
Portugal was never as successful at stimulating emigration to its African territories as it wanted to be. For centuries the number of Europeans in these territories was small. Faced with competition from other European imperialist powers in the nineteenth century, Portugal sought to fill up its vast African spaces with people. The state allowed prisoners to work off their sentences by settling in Africa, it offered land grants and stipends to prospective settlers, it tried to encourage its soldiers assigned there to stay, and it tried to lure other Europeans to settle there to augment the thin Portuguese population. These efforts were not notably successful, however, and Portuguese emigration to Africa never amounted to more than 4 percent of the total.
- https://countrystudies.us/portugal/48.htm
I'm not sure how different this Portugal is, but if it really is worried about losing their colonies, they would definitely stimulate emigration like they did IOTL in the 60s and 70s (which did help on them becoming one of the last European countries to end colonization in Africa).
You made a good point about there not being enough Portuguese to fill that region entirely, but just like that there weren't enough Belgians to fill the Congo or Germans in Namibia by this point. They would lose some, especially in the regions closer to heavier white population, like South Africa, but I personally believe that Portugal could keep the Pink Map, if it plays its cards correctly and if other Europeans are also unable to make it to the interior of the continent (as it seems to be the case)

Does the USA Military have Negro officers commanding White soldiers at this point?
Oh god, I can't imagine so. This US is much more racially inclusive than in OTL, but that might be a bit too much - though it would be interesting if a black soldier receives a battlefield promotion (i.e. the commanding officers died) and has to step up and take command. It would make some good drama, and I imagine that they would become an interesting figure during and after the war. And, of course, the inevitable Hollywood film ... :)

Has the US started to use gas attacks before the Confederacy in this war? Based on the Confederate activities in Maryland, it's not like the Union risks losing the moral high ground in the Confederate theater, but ... uffda. Not surprising considering the Confederates are, generally speaking, possessing a better organized military culture than the Union and the higher proportional casualties the Union has been taking. But ... well, I suppose it's a massive war in the early 20th century, so those particular horrors aren't going to be avoided.
It’s hard if not impossible to entirely avoid, sadly. The CSA opened the genie bottle first when it came to gas attacks so the US has no reason now not to respond in kind.
As a note to those following this on a map. The Old Hickory Lock and Dam wasn't created until 1946 iOTL. So the Cumberland River East of Nashville (most of the way to Hartsville) is not widened the way that it is on today's maps. I look forward to the Battle of Lebanon for the Line to become *complete* unhinged.
And in cases like the Potomac River iTTL, the most likely setup for islands and coastline south of Georgetown may not be one that *ever* existed iOTL. The Potomac goes from a rocky fast moving river North of Georgetown to a semi-tidal soft bottom river South of it (the reason the C&O Canal starts between Georgetown and the Tidal Basin. ) Or to put it another way, being in a Kayak north of Georgetown is sport, being in a Kayak south of Georgetown is a commute.
When in doubt, assume it wasn’t.
Does the USA Military have Negro officers commanding White soldiers at this point?
Definitely not, for the reasons @DanMcCollum laid out. The USA is more racially egalitarian than iOTL 1915 sans the Confederacy but it’s not that egalitarian
I mean, Portugal did shoot itself in the foot by failing in promoting emigration.

- https://countrystudies.us/portugal/48.htm
I'm not sure how different this Portugal is, but if it really is worried about losing their colonies, they would definitely stimulate emigration like they did IOTL in the 60s and 70s (which did help on them becoming one of the last European countries to end colonization in Africa).
You made a good point about there not being enough Portuguese to fill that region entirely, but just like that there weren't enough Belgians to fill the Congo or Germans in Namibia by this point. They would lose some, especially in the regions closer to heavier white population, like South Africa, but I personally believe that Portugal could keep the Pink Map, if it plays its cards correctly and if other Europeans are also unable to make it to the interior of the continent (as it seems to be the case)
Agreed. There were ways for Portugal to do it, but it would be a very tough needle to thread in a very difficult neighborhood. The Great Powers were always watching the Congo like vultures circling a carcass pre-WW1, too.

I’ve gone back and forth on a Pink Map Portugal and wound up finding the solution I’ve landed on best for the narrative; that being said, I would be interested if anybody else has written or spotted a timeline that ends with a massive south-central African Lusophone regional power…

I’ve gone back and forth on a Pink Map Portugal and wound up finding the solution I’ve landed on best for the narrative; that being said, I would be interested if anybody else has written or spotted a timeline that ends with a massive south-central African Lusophone regional power…
Not a Pink Map-TL, but A África que o Português Criou has a better Portuguese colonial presence in Africa, unfortunately it's not threadmarked and it ended a long-time ago.
Outside of AH.com, I'd recommend this post, part of a Latin America-wank TL, which also results in a Pink Map that seems to succeed and actually last.
Also on Reddit, this Dutch America TL has a (extremely big) Pink Map (although to be fair the majority of the center are just protectorates with some Portuguese influence)>

The Confederate position was, quite simply, in total collapse..."

- Bleeding Heartland: The Midlands Front of the Great American War
A Hemingway quote comes to mind here: "How did you go bankrupt? Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly."

Feels like now that the USA has punctured the Inner Line things will deteriorate quite suddenly after a year or so of the front being more or less stable.

Not a Pink Map-TL, but A África que o Português Criou has a better Portuguese colonial presence in Africa, unfortunately it's not threadmarked and it ended a long-time ago.
Outside of AH.com, I'd recommend this post, part of a Latin America-wank TL, which also results in a Pink Map that seems to succeed and actually last.
Also on Reddit, this Dutch America TL has a (extremely big) Pink Map (although to be fair the majority of the center are just protectorates with some Portuguese influence)>
Some awesome maps!

Status
Not open for further replies.