Cinco de Mayo

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by KingSweden24, Jun 10, 2019.

1. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

“...Paris has been surprised by the resignation of Édouard Thouvenel, the Emperor’s erstwhile loyal foreign minister. Count Walewski tells me this is good news, and that the Court is ecstatic about the news from Maryland and Kentucky...”

- John Slidell, Confederate Minister to France

Not Henry G. and Ultima Ratio like this.
  2. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

“...the sack of York in October was a consolation prize, of sorts, to Lee’s cavalry, carried out with Pennsylvania’s militia across the Susquehanna and Meade’s armies in retreat. While Lee had been convinced by Jackson and Longstreet that to attack Harrisburg with their supply lines thin and so deep into enemy territory would be foolish, nonetheless the events at York served as a second public embarrassment for the Lincoln Cabinet in the fall of 1862. News of the raid - with embellished atrocities included - spread just as Americans were about to vote in that autumn’s Elections. In that sense, York, at the conclusion of the Maryland and Pennsylvania Campaign, was the last decisive blow of the war.

-John Miller “A Comprehensive Military History of the Confederate States of America - The War of Confederate Independence.”

3. Not Henry G. Well-Known Member

I really love this style. It gives enough information without going too into detail. It makes me want to pick up my old style and continue it this way

KingSweden24 and Darth_Kiryan like this.
  4. Darth_Kiryan The Númenorean Sith

Well, Glen did a similar style when writing his DSA, its just he added a picture/summary of events.

Or even or even Johnrankins Land of Cotton.

KingSweden24 likes this.
  5. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I appreciate it.

6. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

I’d be open to including pictures as I go along, if that’s preferred by readers I can make an effort to do so at least?

7. M79 Well-Known Member

Nice work KingSweden24!

KingSweden24 likes this.
  8. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

Thank you!

9. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

“...the position of Prussia in Germany will not be determined by its liberalism but by its power... Prussia must concentrate it’s strength and hold it for the favorable moment, which has already come and gone several times. Since the treaties of Vienna, our frontiers have been ill-designed for a healthy body politic. Not through speeches and majority decisions will the great questions of the day be decided - that was the great mistake of 1848 and 1849 - but by iron and blood.

- Chancellor of Prussia Otto von Bismarck, Speech to Landtag of Prussia, October 1 1862

10. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

“...the coronation of Maximilian was a grand affair, the importation of European monarchy into the New World. To the conservatives toasting their new Emperor; it was nothing short of the proper order at least restored, the mestizo democracy overthrown with the betters once more in their right place. Of course, no one - liberal or conservative, Republican or Monarchist - would ever say they were fully satisfied with Maximilian...”

- Gustavo Reyes, “Maximilian of Mexico”

11. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

“I thank the Lord Almighty that the rebels did not besiege Harrisburg and cut the Union in two by seizing it; even with disaster in Pennsylvania, it could have been worse. My plans to issue my proclamation to the Cabinet are for now shelved - now I fear whether I can ever break the rebellion by cleaving those in bond from them.”

- Diary of President Abraham Lincoln

12. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

"...the 1862-63 United States congressional elections were an absolute disaster for the young Republican Party, particularly in much of the Midwest. Reduced to a single House seat in Ohio, three in abolitionist Pennsylvania and two in President Lincoln's home state of Ohio, as well as having their seats in Democratic New York cut from 21 to 7 - a reduction of two thirds in the Union's most critical state - was nothing shy of a death blow for the Lincoln administration. Public outrage over the vast changes to federal power in service of a war effort that had not only failed to earn the speedy promised victory but instead been marred by outright incompetence by Union generals followed by a harrying raid in Pennsylvania that greatly alarmed much of the country. Incumbent Speaker Galusha Crow was defeated for reelection and a number of Lincoln's critical allies in Congress followed him out the door. Ohio's Samuel "Sunset" Cox would succeed him as Speaker, giving Democrats the Speakership back after only a brief hiatus. Democrats would have 99 out of 184 seats when the new Congress was sworn in, a small but workable majority.

Beyond the House, the results for Democrats were mixed. Though they gained 3 seats in the Senate thanks to success in the state legislatures, the coalition of Republicans and Unconditional Unionists still enjoyed a healthy majority of 34 Coalition to 14 Democrats. Here, the secession of uniformly Democratic states at the beginning of the war truly hampered Democratic efforts, though it - and the losses of several state legislatures and Governorships to the Democrats - was a further blemish for the Lincoln Cabinet."

- Electoral History of the United States, 1851-1901

13. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

"...Lincoln's poor position was dramatically worsened by the new reality of Speaker Cox in 1863, creating substantial domestic problems for him as well. A Democratic House and a reduced Senate majority meant more obstacles to his program to execute the war, and even threatened the unthinkable - Copperhead Democrats negotiating directly with the Confederacy behind Cox's back. While many Democrats were sanguine on the Confederacy itself, they were appalled by Lincoln's expansion of Presidential powers and the corresponding incompetence of the Union Army, despite its numerous advantages of the rebels. Any crack in the armor was an opening for rebel diplomats to exploit - and not long after news of Lincoln's drubbing reached European courts, sympathetic ears began listening more intently..."

Robert Caro, Lincoln.

14. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

“...it is with great pleasure, good sir, that I write to you to announce that with our victories in Maryland and Kentucky and a weakened hand for the Yankee administration, we stand a chance to earn that which we have sought...”

- John Slidell, CSA Minister to France

Not Henry G. likes this.
  15. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

So Battle of Pueble was a disaster for US and Juarez troops..did Maximiliam will get to become emperor them?

KingSweden24 likes this.
  16. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

Correct - Pueblo becoming a debacle for the Mexican forces under Juarez led to the swift collapse of his government (and his death not long thereafter) and by now Maximilian has been coronated.

Nivek likes this.
  17. Nivek Resident Videogame Expert

That is unique, wonder how this will affect things in the americas in the future

KingSweden24 likes this.
  18. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

We’re about to broach the big consequence of that POD :)

Nivek likes this.
  19. Colonel flagg Well-Known Member

Would Austria empire reinforce French if maximilian becomes emperor?

KingSweden24 likes this.
  20. KingSweden24 Well-Known Member

“...the autumn of misfortune for Lincoln was not at an end, alas. Seeking to regain momentum after the embarrassments of September, in mid-November - having sacked McClellan - he tasked Ambrose Burnside with an aggressive campaign to attack Richmond, assuming correctly that Lee was short in supplies and men after a long fall. As was now commonplace in the Union Army in both the eastern and western theaters, Burnside’s March was marred with incompetence, delay and squabbling among senior officers. The ensuing Battle of Fredericksburg was nothing short of a slaughter, with Burnside suffering three times the casualties as the rebels as he attempted to cross the Rappahannock. Behind Chambersburg it is one of the worst defeats in American Military History; Ambrose’s retreat to Washington would punctuate a disastrous fall of failures for the Union and would be the last major offensive campaign against the Confederacy.”

- Military History of the United States

Not Henry G. likes this.