Status
Not open for further replies.
Beyond Bondage: A History of Postbellum Black America
"...by 1869, a full six years after the Treaty of Havana, it is estimated that between one to two thousand slaves escaped from the Confederacy per year as a new, more emboldened Underground Railroad was reestablished. Abolitionism had not died in the North, it had merely changed its stripes and techniques. The pace of escape was abetted by the lack of any interest in enforcing Fugitive Slave Acts "beyond the Ohio," as the Union began to be called down in Dixie. For despite the dangers, there was a large lobby in the South who viewed slavery as abhorrent and the entire institution of their state as a corrupt betrayal of ideals. Ironically, considering the power the Kuklos Klan organization held in both states, it was former Unionists in Tennessee and Kentucky who made up the bulk of the financing and infrastructure for slaves to flee northwards.

For those who stayed, life moved on as it always had on plantations and farms large and small. Unlike in the North, where factories continued to emerge and railroads snaked across the land, industry in the South remained undercapitalized, abetted by disinterest in setting duties or tariffs and thus being flooded with European industrial goods as a popular export market in return for its commodity exports. What little industry existed deployed slaves more than white laborers, despite the massive inefficiencies of industrial chattel labor, further discouraging immigration to the Confederacy. Indeed, even as early as 1870, many poor white Confederates "crossed the river" by entering the United States either at the Federal District's Potomac Quay, by boat into Baltimore on one of the small Chesapeake ferries that facilitated commerce between the two Americas, or at Cincinnati, one of the few Ohio River cities "open" to Confederate trade.

In the North many blacks found a society generally hostile to them. Lynchings were tragically common, especially in Indiana, Illinois and Missouri, border states with long and difficult racial histories. Most states discriminated heavily against black immigrants, and only a handful in New England allowed black men, a miniscule minority in most states, to vote. Nevertheless, the promise of the Abolition Amendments made many look the United States as a north star of freedom and liberty. Despite discrimination, despite violence both private and by the state, at least in the Union they were free..."

- Beyond Bondage: A History of Postbellum Black America

- Beyond Bondage: A History of Postbellum Black America
Something good to notice, what happened to the blacks already in USA...something i wish TL191 did focused more, at times the point was 'black are a minority in the sense of very minor numbers' and that' they're our citizens, the white majority tend to ignore them and they are just there....' would the UR not stimulated migration to the empty territories and California better?

Something good to notice, what happened to the blacks already in USA...something i wish TL191 did focused more, at times the point was 'black are a minority in the sense of very minor numbers' and that' they're our citizens, the white majority tend to ignore them and they are just there....' would the UR not stimulated migration to the empty territories and California better?

I mean certainly, but considering the miniscule black antebellum populations of most northern states, blacks escaping the CSA are competing with immigrants from Europe. Could also see considerably more racism against them in Northern society as they are not fellow Americans but "those people" from "south of the river" streaming in and "taking our jobs." (See: attitude towards Chinese immigration on the West Coast in this time period)

I mean certainly, but considering the miniscule black antebellum populations of most northern states, blacks escaping the CSA are competing with immigrants from Europe. Could also see considerably more racism against them in Northern society as they are not fellow Americans but "those people" from "south of the river" streaming in and "taking our jobs." (See: attitude towards Chinese immigration on the West Coast in this time period)
Yeah that will be a massive social bomb in the making still something will come to clash anyway...at this pace we're going to see a tusla in some place in the future...and that will not be pretty

The Age of the Railroad
"...at the outset of the war in 1861, the Confederacy had enjoyed 9,000 miles of rail compared to 20,000 in the North, and one of its only saving graces in the postbellum period was that it had acquired Kentucky, with her robust rail network, in the Treaty of Havana. Louisville and Covington were connected by rail bridge across the Ohio River to the Union, the only cities in the Confederacy that enjoyed such direct access to major US infrastructure, which helped make the Louisville and Nashville Railroad - the L&N - one of the most formidable in the Confederacy, and key to the development of both Nashville and Birmingham as key cities in the Confederacy [1], the latter found in 1869 largely thanks to its siting near coal and iron deposits never before tapped and easily accessible via rail from L&N in the north. The other major railroads in the Confederacy at this time were the Nashville, Chattanooga and Memphis - NC&M - a successor to the prewar NC&Stl that ran east-west across Tennessee. In an age where Presidents and Senators showed enormous favoritism to their home states in terms of patronage, Nashville's position along two of the biggest railroads in the Confederacy and its proximity to the major Mobile & Ohio (M&O) that the NC&M connected to in 1869 at Humboldt was a major boon to the state's development as the inland South's industrial heartland [2], made especially the case as rail was extending by the competing railroads into coal-rich Eastern Kentucky and East Tennessee.

Still, what made the South's rail system inefficient for decades was its proliferation of gauges. In the northeast Confederacy both narrow gauge and broad gauge were used in Virginia and South Carolina, and inexplicably west of the Mississippi, rather than incorporate best practices from the three majors that ran through Tennessee, railroads were built with the 5'6" gauge, making the rails extending into thinly-populated Texas and Arkansas from New Orleans or Memphis completely incompatible with the rest of the county. In a similarly bizarre decision, the Florida East Coast Railroad, which gallantly survived the bursting of the North American railroad bubble in 1870, elected to use a 4'6" gauge, unseen anywhere else in the world, on its route south from Jacksonville [ ]. The worst offender was a railroad from Montgomery Alabama that ran only to the state line with Georgia and used a narrow gauge to connect to two cities with broad gauge, giving it only fewer than a hundred miles of rail it could feasibly operate on [4]..."

- The Age of the Railroad
[1] As in OTL, and this was a real railroad that stuck around for a long time too
[2] Think of the Louisville/Nashville/Birmingham corridor as a sort of future Confederate Rust Belt
[3] Complete fiction by me
[4] This one is real, though

The Reign of Napoleon III 1848-1874
"...though it was the two Marshals who dominated the decision making in the late years of Napoleon III's increasingly somnambulant reign - not just on the aggressive war of choice in Korea but also on refusing further constitutional reform, using their allies in Parliament to curtail the legislature's input on domestic affairs - it was the third leg of the reactionary Le Trois, Rouher, who had the greatest impact in his influence over the young Prince Imperial, Louis-Napoleon, the future Napoleon IV. The France of postwar Second Empire was reinventing itself not as the liberal enlightened Empire that had been envisioned in the early 1850s but as a place of Catholic ascension. The National Assembly was dominated by deputies from the rural and conservative south, frustrating the projects of men such as Thiers or Gambetta to the point that the former went into exile in America in early 1870, so distraught was he by the country he increasingly did not recognize. The young Prince Imperial was kept under close watch by Rouher, who personally selected the tutors for both the heir and Victor, the Prince Napoleon, whom he foresaw as having a potential role in the Empire's future. With the French right firmly under its control, despite scattered calls for a monarchy of Bourbons or Orleanists instead [1], Le Trois spent the next several years grooming Napoleon IV, using the Crown itself as a symbol of French stability, encouraging nationalism and aggressively battling the attempts by liberal worker's communes in Lille to form. In early 1870, MacMahon sent Napoleon IV to study in England along with his governor and close confidant General Frossard as well as one of his tutors, Augustin Filon, but the mission had other purposes - to make arrangements to marry the Prince Imperial to Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria's youngest daughter..."

- The Reign of Napoleon III 1848-1874

[1] Without the fall of the Second Empire you don't really have the same push from the other monarchist factions you'd see OTL

In early 1870, MacMahon sent Napoleon IV to study in England along with his governor and close confidant General Frossard as well as one of his tutors, Augustin Filon, but the mission had other purposes - to make arrangements to marry the Prince Imperial to Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria's youngest daughter..."
That might not be enough to help them long term, still some miraculous saves from the nobles.

The Republicans: A History
"...if 1869 was the glorious crescendo of President Chase's career, then 1870 was the climax, falling action and catastrophe tied into one. In his first year in office, Chase oversaw perhaps the most productive year by any President up until that point - the strongest economic growth since before the War of Southern Independence, the passage with rapid debate and ratification the following year of the two Abolition Amendments, thus solidifying his life goal over muted protests, and the passage of the Naval Act of 1869, which promised to greatly expand the United States Navy so that it could defend itself on both coasts from any future imperial ambitions by hostile powers, and the Republican Senate wasted no time appointing a slew of patronage appointees to various positions throughout government and the judiciary.

It took only a year for Chase's Presidency to, in effect, fall apart. Though the Abolition Amendments essentially ended slavery in only two states, Delaware and Maryland, the former of which barely had any slaves left, it caused a tremendous backlash against "the Imperial President" among Democrats and even some moderate Republicans, despite broad majorities in Congress. Thomas Hendricks of Indiana claimed aggressively in a speech in Evansville in early 1870 that if the federal government could so impose a matter on the states against their will, then the federal government could impose
any matter on the states. "Caesar Chase" was burned in effigy at many Democratic rallies. Further compounding matters for Chase was the view that his establishment of a Department of Justice and Solicitor General to handle the federal government's legal matters, including enforcement of laws and regulating the judiciary, was concentrating even more power in the hands of the Presidency and creating a new, unconstitutional patronage machine that violated the separation of powers. In June, the man he had entrusted to oversee the Naval expansion, John A. Dahlgren [1] - the founder of the Naval Ordnance Department - passed away suddenly at 61, leaving the federal government without the trusted Secretary of the Navy just as it was about to embark on the largest peacetime military investment in American history.

The biggest problem struck that same month, though, as the Panic of 1870 began..."

- The Republicans: A History

[1] Real guy, bit obscure, but that's part of the fun of doing this kind of research

The House of Hohenzollern
"...the Spanish Cortes, encouraged by Juan Prim, reached out to Leopold of the Sigmaringen branch of the Hohenzollern line in early 1870 after agreeing that he was the best candidate. Having seen Germany defeat Spain's age-old enemy France and aware of the potential of the new continental hegemon, a Catholic German prince of a cadet branch of the Empire's ruling line seemed the clear choice. Acceptable to both moderates and conservatives, Leopold signaled he was interested after consulting with Wilhelm I and Bismarck, who both suggested he take it, hoping also for the advantages that would come through further isolating Napoleon III's Second Empire. Leopold traveled secretly to Spain in March where he was proclaimed King Leopold I (Leopoldo in Spanish), to the surprise of Europe and horror of France..."

- The House of Hohenzollern (Heidelberg University)

"...the Spanish Cortes, encouraged by Juan Prim, reached out to Leopold of the Sigmaringen branch of the Hohenzollern line in early 1870 after agreeing that he was the best candidate. Having seen Germany defeat Spain's age-old enemy France and aware of the potential of the new continental hegemon, a Catholic German prince of a cadet branch of the Empire's ruling line seemed the clear choice. Acceptable to both moderates and conservatives, Leopold signaled he was interested after consulting with Wilhelm I and Bismarck, who both suggested he take it, hoping also for the advantages that would come through further isolating Napoleon III's Second Empire. Leopold traveled secretly to Spain in March where he was proclaimed King Leopold I (Leopoldo in Spanish), to the surprise of Europe and horror of France..."

- The House of Hohenzollern (Heidelberg University)
Well..what france would do...start another war? ;) . Still for a moment i thought one of the wittelbasch(ie bavarians) would go into play...well Nappy III can scream but he know better not handled other conflict with germany again

Well..what france would do...start another war? ;) . Still for a moment i thought one of the wittelbasch(ie bavarians) would go into play...well Nappy III can scream but he know better not handled other conflict with germany again

Haha exactly! You've got it precisely right, very different circumstances.

Well with Luitpold in Cambodia and Ludwig and Otto being... odd kids, I still think Leopold makes the most sense as a candidate for a Spanish government that wants to reintegrate into the European order, as we'll see here soon.

Haha exactly! You've got it precisely right, very different circumstances.

Well with Luitpold in Cambodia and Ludwig and Otto being... odd kids, I still think Leopold makes the most sense as a candidate for a Spanish government that wants to reintegrate into the European order, as we'll see here soon.
Yeah the butterflies at play, just i thought an outliner but seem Luitpold was still in Cambodia at the time.

Suez
"...the opening of the Suez Canal marked one of the most revolutionary achievements in the history of transportation. In tandem with the Transcontinental Railroad finished in 1868, it allowed the world to be circumnavigated in record time. It was opened by Empress Eugenie of France as a wonderful distraction from her husband's domestic political troubles, international embarrassment at Germany's hands and poor health, an ostentatious measure to display that the French Empire was indeed not irrelevant. Opera, fireworks and the sailing of barges through the new canal were all part and parcel of the grand affair to celebrate its opening..."

- Suez
(George Brown, 1980)

"...the opening of the Suez Canal marked one of the most revolutionary achievements in the history of transportation. In tandem with the Transcontinental Railroad finished in 1868, it allowed the world to be circumnavigated in record time. It was opened by Empress Eugenie of France as a wonderful distraction from her husband's domestic political troubles, international embarrassment at Germany's hands and poor health, an ostentatious measure to display that the French Empire was indeed not irrelevant. Opera, fireworks and the sailing of barges through the new canal were all part and parcel of the grand affair to celebrate its opening..."

- Suez
(George Brown, 1980)
That Help Germany Massively too, easier communcation with Cambodia

Just found this TL a few days ago and I love it! Germany having Cambodia as a colony is something I don't think I've ever seen besides HOI4 Kaiserreich. I wonder, is Germany going to take land from Siam like the French IOTL or will Siam keep the western part of Cambodia? Will the Germans or the French go for Laos?

Just found this TL a few days ago and I love it! Germany having Cambodia as a colony is something I don't think I've ever seen besides HOI4 Kaiserreich. I wonder, is Germany going to take land from Siam like the French IOTL or will Siam keep the western part of Cambodia? Will the Germans or the French go for Laos?

haha it’s funny you ask I was pondering how I want to extrapolate out SE Asia just today! I have a few ideas but nothing set in stone yet. Thank you so much for reading I’m glad you’re enjoying it!

Author Note: big whoops on my part. Looks like Spain had reoccupied the Dominican Republican in 1861 upon a Dominican request and only left because of the US asserting Monroe Doctrine in 1865 after the OTL ACW ended. What do you all think, should I retcon this one? Means US doesn’t possess Samana Bay as a lease for its Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.