Chinese Soviet Republic

I challenge posters to come up with a scenario in which the CSR doesn't collapse but is able to defeat the Nationalists and do it without any sort of Japanese intervention.

The CSR had spies within the KMT ranks and guerrillas embedded within KMT territory. Perhaps eating the KMT from the inside out could work.

It's real hard. I would almost say its easier for the Communists to have a shot at national power from the cities in the late 1920s than from the country side in the early and middle 1930s.

I'll give it a try though.

I suppose the CSR could take over without Japanese intervention, over a period of years, if the Communist base areas and armies roll sixes, and the KMT central government is ground down a in a Central Plains War that lasts forever. The coalition of latter day warlords eventually cripples the Nanjing regime, maybe with the CCP delivering the killing blow, but more likely the warlord coalition doing, then falling out with each other, and then the CSR taking them out one by one.

There's another, more lazy way, but I think you would consider it cheating. - Japan does not invade China in the 1930s/1940s, but the Soviet Union does. Getting the Soviets to do that is a whole other challenge of course.

Land reform.

In China there where a relative few land owners and 100s of millions of landless peasants, give the peasants the lands, not to be confused with the state taking the land, NO that is NOT what I am talking about, I am talking about giving the land to the people who work it and now you have 100s of million loyal subjects and a few 10,000 unhappy ones. The math speaks for itself.

In China there was very little "modern agriculture", it was the same at it had been for 100s of years, the land owners were not reinvesting or anything like that, they were simply living off the work of the peasants and living comfortable lives.

The former land owners can do nothing they have no power or leverage, the military can not be used against the people because everyone in the military will have some relative who now has gotten a piece of land.

Same could have been done in Latin America, and southern Europe.

It's real hard. I would almost say its easier for the Communists to have a shot at national power from the cities in the late 1920s than from the country side in the early and middle 1930s.

I'll give it a try though.

I suppose the CSR could take over without Japanese intervention, over a period of years, if the Communist base areas and armies roll sixes, and the KMT central government is ground down a in a Central Plains War that lasts forever. The coalition of latter day warlords eventually cripples the Nanjing regime, maybe with the CCP delivering the killing blow, but more likely the warlord coalition doing, then falling out with each other, and then the CSR taking them out one by one.

There's another, more lazy way, but I think you would consider it cheating. - Japan does not invade China in the 1930s/1940s, but the Soviet Union does. Getting the Soviets to do that is a whole other challenge of course.
I think the former scenario is likely the winner as I don't see why Stalin or whoever else leads the USSR would invade China. Maybe Zhang Zuolin survives his assassination attempt and joins the warlords?