chat section

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by AlternateMan, Feb 13, 2018.

1. AlternateMan Well-Known Member

Why do we have it if our only perpose is alt history?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. SaveAtlacamani Napoleon the Red Donor

Mostly so that politics - which can closely border on AH - do not get drawn into the Alternate History sections of the forum.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. AlternateMan Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

Originally, before 2003, there were only AH discussion forums. However, an issue that emerged was that people - like now - wanted to discuss other things (Contemporary Politics being the big one) besides AH sometimes and without anyplace dedicated for it, it just ended up getting dumped in the various discussion forums (imagine having to wade through a couple dozen threads about present day real life U.S politics before finding any TLs in Post-1900). When the Middle Board was finally opened back in January '04, Ian created Chat as a new forum so people who wanted to talk about AH didn't have to wade through a thousand threads about Politics, Comic Books, Videogames, etc.

Non-Political Chat was split off into its own thing in 2006, because anything outside politics tended to drown in Chat. Media and Fandom (along with Fandom AH) was created last year for sorta the opposite reason: anything that wasn't Media/Fandom related tended to drown in NPC (and people often complained of the same in the ASB forum, where Fandom-based AH used to live) so they were moved out to their own forums.

5. AlternateMan Well-Known Member

Sorry for disturbing you, I am relatively new here, I wasn't on the site in 2003 so thanls for spending time in your browse to enlighten me.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

You're welcome! It's no trouble at all. :)

If you're interested in reading up on the history of the site, the Wiki has a nice timeline we've been trying to maintain to keep track of it all:

AH.com: A Chronology

Zagan and Ddmkm122 like this.
  7. lordroel Well-Known Member

Because sometimes real life becomes crazier than alt history and thus we want to discuses it.

8. Md139115 Bring back the Inquisition!

Secret Catholic World Domination Conference
    I have been on here about eight months now.

I thought I was finally getting a good grasp of what AH.com was all about.

I was wrong. So very, very wrong!!!!

Incidentally, is the Parliament still functioning?

9. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

There's a lot to absorb! :p :coldsweat:

Nah, that got shut down back in 2009 or so. Basically, it was a combination of people squabbling so much that the staff had to get involved and because, by virtue of it being the only RPG in Non-Pol Chat, too many newcomers at the time were getting confused and thinking it was the actual group running the site. :coldsweat:

It moved over to Shared Worlds and was rebooted as the Shared Worlds Parliament game, I think. I've no idea if that's still a going concern, I dropped out of it shortly after it moved out of NPC.

10. AlternateMan Well-Known Member

What's parliment?

11. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

The Parliament was part of AH.com Politics, a government role playing game that ran in the Non-Political Chat forum from 2006 until 2009.

Zagan likes this.
  12. Codae Well-Known Member

There is no continuation of the AH.com government in existence. Playing the role of the representatives of the community lost steam after a few short-lived replacements, so the trend was to replace the represented community with the population of a notional state. Even then, AFAICR, the last program that had players cooperate and compete to pass legislation was the Byzantine-Ottoman Senate; Election Games nowadays basically extrapolate a candidate's success in implementing a platform in order to move forward to the next election cycle.

13. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

That's too bad...I remember there was some movement to trying rebooting it again around five years ago, but I suppose whatever effort they may have been died with the Exodus.

14. AlternateMan Well-Known Member

That's cool. How much history does thid one site have?

15. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

Well, when a place has been around for nearly 18 years and has thousands of members, you collect a bit of local history. :coldsweat:

16. Clandango Disestablishmentarianist

Plenty more not on there, though I only know of some things fifth-hand, such as form reading through the original map threads many years back. So many fads and such. And of course B. D. S. M. Stirling was apparently banned for saying that he thought all Muslims males over the age of 14 or so should die or disappear.

Ahhh, and speaking of really old stuff, it is such a shame that a lot of old maps or alternate history sites are gone. I need to find EdT's old site on the Internet Archive. And perhaps find other, current alternate history sites and start saving the pages to the Archive.

17. AlternateMan Well-Known Member

Yeah, quite a lot it seems.

18. lordroel Well-Known Member

Wonder what the first What If ever on there was.

19. AlternateMan Well-Known Member

wonder when the first What If based on us will be, i say 2020-50.

20. Codae Well-Known Member

Well, this is the oldest WI thread on the New Board.