Challenge: Tunisia just as Italian as Sicily

I repeat what I wrote earlier, just to see if there's a possible idea of this occuring.

Another possible idea: how about either Venice and/or the Knights of St John getting involved? A Maltese acquaintance of mine said that until Mussolini a lot of Maltese considered themselves to be Italian. So what about Malta AND Tunisia being in the same boat, compounded by the fact that the Maltese languageis is a hybrid of Maghreb Arabic and Sicilian, with some English words thrown in and a Latin alphabet?

It's just completely unrealistic to assume a thoroughly Muslim population like Tunis' can be converted to Christianity. I can't think of a single example of this happening anywhere. The only option would be to massacre or expel the entire population, and you'd never find enough settlers to make the territory viable. Much of it would revert to waste and it would the plpayground of Berber raiders.

The Muslims in these areas in said TL were indeed expelled, massacred or most often enslaved and then transported elsewhere. And the Europeanization of North Africa took centuries.