Challenge: name an airplane uglier than the Lloyd Luftkreuzer

Well when a daddy aeroplane and a mummy aeroplane hug in a special way.

p_anson1.jpg

In the Commonwealth Air Training Plan the first thing young pilots learnt was how unmanageable their new mounts became when they went into heat.

Some of the selections in this thread are to me more unusual or bizarre looking then ugly. But of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

General_Airborne_Transport_XCG-16_--_2000-3085_%28flight%29.jpg

Driftless

Donor
amiot-143-oob-001.jpg

The Gallic 'Fierce Face', indeed

Many moons ago, I had that Heller model. I assume the scale of molding was reasonably correct, but take my comments with a grain of salt. Oh my, was that plane slab-sided. Also, the wing root (of the model) was nearly the thickness of the fuselage. It's hard to imagine that just a few years later, the same aircraft company created the very sleek Amiot 350 series of bombers

*edit* To cut the Amiot designers a bit of slack, the French Air Force in the 20's & 30's got whip-sawed all over the sky over what its mission was supposed to be. Lots of frequently conflicting strategic and tactical threads got woven into the designs

Last edited:
*edit* To cut the Amiot designers a bit of slack, the French Air Force in the 20's & 30's got whip-sawed all over the sky over what its mission was supposed to be. Lots of frequently conflicting strategic and tactical threads got woven into the designs

IE, typical French military procurement.

FWIW, I believe a lot of multi-engine inter-war aircraft had a design feature of the engines being accessible in flight for engineers to maintain them if necessary. The wing root was essentially a covered walkway to the engines on some designs.

During the 1930s they were still earning how to build metal cantilever wings, so when in doubt, they built wings deeper and stronger.

I've always thought that the Koolhoven F.K.31 was a terribly unappealing-looking plane. As well as among the worst pieces garbage the Finnish Air Force ever bought.

Koolhoven_F.K._31.jpg