Challenge: Este inherited by Hannover

Susano

Banned
That's why my first thought was that Henry Julius (or the other prince who receives Modena) should convert to receive it. I can't see the other surrounding Catholic states accepting that (including the Papal States), and they would do anything possible to avoid granting Catholic lands so near to Papal territory to a Lutheran.

Also, if he converts, he would probably receive Ferrara also, maybe as a gift of the Pope for chosing the "true faith".

I cant see the Pope giving away land like that. The Popes, as a line, have at this point invested too much time and efforts in the recent geenrations to gain their lands back in line and free of of local signories. I cant really see them starting this all over again. And besides, half the Welf lands for Catholicism really isnt all that much. Enough to favour one side in a succession dispute, but IMO not enough to just gift land away. Besides, the Pope was mostly allied with France anyways, so why should the Emperor care for what he has to say? And its by the Emperors grace that Julius Henry would gain the land in your scenario.

Besides, seeing his witch hunts and the expulsion of Jews I really cant see Julius Henry as being... religiously flexible and pragmatic enough for conversion, anyways.

I cant see the Pope giving away land like that. The Popes, as a line, have at this point invested too much time and efforts in the recent geenrations to gain their lands back in line and free of of local signories. I cant really see them starting this all over again. And besides, half the Welf lands for Catholicism really isnt all that much. Enough to favour one side in a succession dispute, but IMO not enough to just gift land away. Besides, the Pope was mostly allied with France anyways, so why should the Emperor care for what he has to say? And its by the Emperors grace that Julius Henry would gain the land in your scenario.

Besides, seeing his witch hunts and the expulsion of Jews I really cant see Julius Henry as being... religiously flexible and pragmatic enough for conversion, anyways.

Hmm, I wonder what would be French reaction in this case. The Duke of Guise would be the legitimate heir of the Este's territories through Anna D'Este, but he was the eldest son of the anti-Protestant guy who fought against Henry of Navarre, who would be already king in 1597... Could we see the former Protestant king of France fighting to avoid a Protestant become duke of Modena by the hands of the Catholic Habsburgs? :p

Of course, there is Cesare D'Este, but as ITTL the Emperor doesn't support him (as Henry Julius is his candidate) and he was just a minor count he doesn't have much power to do anything.

Susano

Banned
Hm, with a constellation like that in France - heh, could King Henry support Caesare in this scenario? That would be both an opportunity against the Empire and prevent his former enemy from gaining land...

Hm, with a constellation like that in France - heh, could King Henry support Caesare in this scenario? That would be both an opportunity against the Empire and prevent his former enemy from gaining land...

Well, Cesare would certainly beg any help he could receive... In the other hand, it seems that the Duke of Guise, despite being the son of Henry of Guise, really supported Henry IV... If he had interested in Modena perhaps he could have gained support from the king.