Challenge: Anime Version of Lord of the Rings

Specifically, an anime version of Lord of the Rings before the Peter Jackson version that becomes popular in the states. What cultural impacts would this have? Is it possible? Or is that asking a lot of American audiences in regards to the anime medium in say the 1990s?

Last edited:
Already happened to a point.

The weird cartoon where in one famous scene, Froddo and his pal are in the Orcish army (Where there's a whip, there's a way!)? It was made by Gimmly studio, if I am wright. japan.

Wasn't that from the very American Rankin/Bass Return of the King? http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Return_of_the_King_(1980_film)

Bruce

Maybe, but don,t forget there was an era where international collaborations was commonplace in cartoons making; things like Thundercats (a lot of japanese workers at least, and you see the animeish edge), the Ghostbuster cartoon (maybe Gimli studio as well links), and even more in europe, like Ulysse 51(?) and Once Upon a Time.. serie of series.

I think there was japaneses on board with it, the animeish side is kinda visible with the artstyle..

No just no I am sorry but I just don't think there is any anime studio that could do Lord of the Rings right.