Not exactly a good system.There's a reason why so many usurpations take place in the Roman Empire.Besides,most provinces weren't actually well managed(by our standards anyway)--a lot of the governors just milk as much money from the provinces within their terms and then return to Rome to either further invest in their careers with bribes or retire in luxury.The reason the Romans actually expanded didn't lie as much on the governors than the fact they had the most advanced military system in the 'known world'.Command of the army should be segregated from the role of governing.

What system would you suggest? I'm trying to figure out a modernised/ Roman inspired system and any suggestions would be helpful.

Just want to chime in that I've been enjoying this, although I lose track/interest whenever the writing switches from history book to novel/narrative-style writing. I hope to see more.

That's why I'm doing a bit of both, to try and keep both sides interested. Glad your enjoying it! :extremelyhappy:

Raunchel

Banned
A republican system would be nearly impossible to introduce, if only because of the entrenched position of large parts of the nobility. He can't really move against them without risking the whole thing blowing up in his face. And it will blow up horribly.

One thing that he could do however is to create more temporary positions, where he appoints people to govern a part of his territory (above a collection of local nobles), based on merit (or more likely, perceived loyalty, and importance to keep satisfied). He could also try to form some sort of senate, formed by the leaders of important noble families, and families from the cities. If he can somehow draw them all to a central place (not Rome, for obvious reasons, but historical significance would be a major bonus). Of course, he could also try to gain some control over the cardinals, and get the papacy on his side. But that probably is too difficult to realistically achieve.

But really, he has to have something to offer to the minor lords, enough to get them on his side.

A republican system would be nearly impossible to introduce, if only because of the entrenched position of large parts of the nobility. He can't really move against them without risking the whole thing blowing up in his face. And it will blow up horribly.

One thing that he could do however is to create more temporary positions, where he appoints people to govern a part of his territory (above a collection of local nobles), based on merit (or more likely, perceived loyalty, and importance to keep satisfied). He could also try to form some sort of senate, formed by the leaders of important noble families, and families from the cities. If he can somehow draw them all to a central place (not Rome, for obvious reasons, but historical significance would be a major bonus). Of course, he could also try to gain some control over the cardinals, and get the papacy on his side. But that probably is too difficult to realistically achieve.

But really, he has to have something to offer to the minor lords, enough to get them on his side.

Maybe form a bureaucratic senate of minor nobles? With say the major noble families eligible for larger governorship's?

Also I already have a capital planned for this new state. It will be glorious.

Last edited:
What system would you suggest? I'm trying to figure out a modernised/ Roman inspired system and any suggestions would be helpful.
How much control does he have on a local level?Depending on his level of control,he could institute a bureaucratic,meritocratic regime.Given that this guy is the inspiration of The Prince,I can totally see that his end game is a legalistic regime.

Last edited:
How much control does he have on a local level?Depending on his level of control,he could institute a bureaucratic,meritocratic regime.

Well, currently he's in chaos, he seems to have a lot control at the local level, as with all the territory he's gathered hasn't been able to organise it yet as the Cesare war is still in full swing.

Minor nobles could represent regions, forming a sort of Noble Republic, with a strong King at its head, similar to say Prussia and its Bundesrat?
In my opinion it is too early for that. The age of absolutism is about to start after all and we see Kings trying to cut back ad much as possible the power of traditional parliaments and estates. Cesare, being a new ruler needs the support of those elites he cannot eliminate and so he might create his own new Senate, but it would be pushing things a bit. More likely that each former state is ruled more or less according to its costumes and statutes, only with Cesare as Monarch and Cesare loyalists in control of key administrative and judicial positions. Think of how the Habsburgs ruled their various holdings in Europe.

republican system would be nearly impossible to introduce, if only because of the entrenched position of large parts of the nobility. He can't really move against them without risking the whole thing blowing up in his face. And it will blow up horribly.
You just don't want the reborn and glorious New Roman Empire to succeed you filthy Egyptian!

I think a legalistic regime endorsed by Caesaropapism is what Cesare's after.
In my opinion it is too early for that. The age of absolutism is about to start after all and we see Kings trying to cut back ad much as possible the power of traditional parliaments and estates. Cesare, being a new ruler needs the support of those elites he cannot eliminate and so he might create his own new Senate, but it would be pushing things a bit. More likely that each former state is ruled more or less according to its costumes and statutes, only with Cesare as Monarch and Cesare loyalists in control of key administrative and judicial positions. Think of how the Habsburgs ruled their various holdings in Europe.
You might have a look at how Spain was handling its colonies with viceroys and so one.

I like Darthfantas idea the best, although I'm not exactly sure on HOW we could get the Pope to also be Cesare/Borgia-Palaiologos heirs. If you know how please tell me! :extremelyhappy:

I like Darthfantas idea the best, although I'm not exactly sure on HOW we could get the Pope to also be Cesare/Borgia-Palaiologos heirs. If you know how please tell me! :extremelyhappy:
You don't need to.You just need to position an army nearby Rome to act as the 'protector' of the pope and in return ask him to endorse your regime.Cesare can get the title of Defender of Faith instead of a certain obese king.Of course,you don't want to abuse the authority of the pope too much on foreign matters since the other kings just won't accept this.

You don't need to.You just need to position an army nearby Rome to act as the 'protector' of the pope and in return ask him to endorse your regime.Cesare can get the title of Defender of Faith instead of a certain obese king.Of course,you don't want to abuse the authority of the pope too much on foreign matters since the other kings just won't accept this.

Sounds good! Although the idea of a protector of the faith contradicts my other plans... hmm.

Sounds good! Although the idea of a protector of the faith contradicts my other plans... hmm.
Basically,Cesare's plan for the Papacy would be what the Shogun was to the Emperor in Japan.De jure,the Papal States would be an independent entity from Cesare's other lands,but it's de facto controlled by Cesare in his role as the Pope's Protector/Defender of Faith in temporal matters.So even if Cesare becomes an independent king,he should still have an official post in the Papal States.That should resolve the diplomatically unacceptable dilemma of annexing the Papal States.

Basically,Cesare's plan for the Papacy would be what the Shogun was to the Emperor in Japan.De jure,the Papal States would be an independent entity from Cesare's other lands,but it's de facto controlled by Cesare in his role as the Pope's Protector/Defender of Faith in temporal matters.So even if Cesare becomes an independent king,he should still have an official post in the Papal States.That should resolve the diplomatically unacceptable dilemma of annexing the Papal States.

Hmm, so basically the Pope is sort of a vassal, with the Pope granting the Borgia's the title of defender of the faith. Makes sense! What about that legalistic part you were saying before?