Celtic Empire in Spain and North Africa

Albert.Nik

Banned
Celtics are the westernmost Indo-European peoples. In this timeline they migrate to North Africa not far away from their homelands in Central France and build cities in good climate regions of large parts of Spain and North Africa after crossing the Pyrenees. They soon build a significantly large Empire there. At the same time,their cousins in Italy,the Italo-Celts were building their Empire too after taking over the Etruscan city of Rome. And further across,their distant cousins,the Greeks and Anatolians were doing the same too. Now,at one stage all these empires built eventually meet together one day when big enough. And how do you think this would occur? Would they be friendly to their cousins' empires and build up Europe and other parts of the World constructively? Would they still fight as the Pheonicians fought with the Romans? How would the further eras take shape and eventually the Modern World? In this timeline,Celts would settle,multiply and prosper in North Africa and the Pheonician migrants don't stand a chance to build their settlements as in OTL. Instead they are dominant in the Levant itself.

There's no way they all unite. I'd say that the Celts in Gaul could maybe unite under Vercingetorix, and that's your best bet at a Celtic Empire. In order for them to stand a chance at long term survival, you need to have Rome stop expanding. Ideally, you want Rome to start shrinking or even collapsing soon after this point (so basically, you want to have a Roman Civil War that devastated the Republic/Empire). Sadly, a Gallic Confederation would likely expand at the expense of other Celts, such as the Britonnic people (my favorite Celts). A Celtic Empire based in Gaul would have plenty of conflict with Germanic people as well as the Romans.

Celtics are the westernmost Indo-European peoples. In this timeline they migrate to North Africa not far away from their homelands in Central France and build cities in good climate regions of large parts of Spain and North Africa after crossing the Pyrenees. They soon build a significantly large Empire there. At the same time,their cousins in Italy,the Italo-Celts were building their Empire too after taking over the Etruscan city of Rome. And further across,their distant cousins,the Greeks and Anatolians were doing the same too. Now,at one stage all these empires built eventually meet together one day when big enough. And how do you think this would occur? Would they be friendly to their cousins' empires and build up Europe and other parts of the World constructively? Would they still fight as the Pheonicians fought with the Romans? How would the further eras take shape and eventually the Modern World? In this timeline,Celts would settle,multiply and prosper in North Africa and the Pheonician migrants don't stand a chance to build their settlements as in OTL. Instead they are dominant in the Levant itself.
Maybe a Hellenized Celtic federation ?

There's no way they all unite. I'd say that the Celts in Gaul could maybe unite under Vercingetorix, and that's your best bet at a Celtic Empire. In order for them to stand a chance at long term survival, you need to have Rome stop expanding. Ideally, you want Rome to start shrinking or even collapsing soon after this point (so basically, you want to have a Roman Civil War that devastated the Republic/Empire). Sadly, a Gallic Confederation would likely expand at the expense of other Celts, such as the Britonnic people (my favorite Celts). A Celtic Empire based in Gaul would have plenty of conflict with Germanic people as well as the Romans.

Say Regulus takes Carthage (or it falls earliS, to Syracuse of Pyrrhus), and the Carthabinian holdings in Spain and Mauretania (not much more than coastal strips then) are overrun by local natives. Rome then turns eastward, andnever gets any further west than roughly Corsica-Sardinia-Tunisia. Gauls and Celtiberians are pretty much left to their own devices.

Big question is what happens as between Celts and Germans. Hohwever, if the Germans overrun both Gaul and Iberia, they may be spread so thin that they are assimilated by their Celtic subjects, so that you just get some Celtic states with German ruling dynasties.

Last edited:
Say Regulus takes Carthage (or it falls earliS, to Syracuse of Pyrrhus), and the Carthabinian holdings in Spain and Mauretania (not much more than coastal strips then) are overrun by local natives. Rome then turns eastward, andnever gets any further wet than roughly Corsica-Sardinia-Tunisia. Gauls and Celtiberians are pretty much left to their own devices.

Big question is what happens as between Celts and Germans. Hohwever, if the Germans overrun both Gaul and Iberia, hey may be spread so thin that they are assimilated by their Celtic subjects, so that you just get some Celtic states with German ruling dynasties.

The impetus for Celtic unification and empire would need to come from a foreign threat. In the absence of Roman aggression, the Germans might be able able to fill that void, but I doubt it.

As for the second part, I see that as more plausible.

Albert.Nik

Banned
The impetus for Celtic unification and empire would need to come from a foreign threat. In the absence of Roman aggression, the Germans might be able able to fill that void, but I doubt it.

As for the second part, I see that as more plausible.
In the case of a highly unlikely Roman absence,Germanic tribes could migrate in large numbers into the south,filling that gap anyway.