So, i've been playing around in my mind with a Napoleonic scenario whereas Nap ultimately decides that Tsar Alexander of Russia is trustworthy as an ally, or at least co-belligerent, and does not invade Russia. Instead, France and Russia gear up for an invasion of the Ottoman Empire by land, which succeeds. Rumelia (Bosnia, Serbia, Albania and Bulgaria), Greece from Thessalonica to the Peloponnese, and Constantinople are liberated, while Anatolia remains under the control of a rump Ottoman sultanate and Crete gets annexed by Britain to prevent the French and their allies from taking it.
My main question is: assuming that Napoleon decides to spin Greece off as an independent but allied kingdom, who is the most likely person to occupy the newly-created Greek throne? One of Napoleon's marshals (Soult, Davout or Ney)? A Romanov? Some Greek rebel leader of importance? A personal union with Murat's Naples?

Last edited:
Probably an arrangement like the "Kingdom of Italy" - Napoleon himself becomes King of Greece, and is represented by a viceroy (a loyal member of the dynasty, or - more likely - one of the marshals).

My own idea is this basicly happening much later, so that loise-napolion Bonaparte (otl napolion III) becomes the king of geece. But I highly doubt napolion would do the Italian treatment to Greece (the how Italian vicroalty was only do to the critical statigice significance of that area and his own tiys to that area).

Given Napoleon's history, he probably gives it to one of his undeserving siblings. Maybe making Pauline's Italian husband a King? Or Louis (having been deposed by Nap in Holland) or Joseph (either instead of or in recompense of Spain). Or maybe even finally giving Eugene a crown of his own.

Garetor

Gone Fishin'
His poor siblings. In over their heads, and if they tried to stand up to his rapacious demands for men and money to defend their people, deposed instantly.