Canada buys Alaska instead of the United States

John Davis

Banned
Considering that Canada is in closer proximity to Alaska than America, what if Canada had bought instead of the United States?

Russia was hostile to Britain, so they preferred to sell it to the US.

Much like when Napoleon sold Louisiana to the US in 1803, they thought this could cause headaches for the British Empire.

But if it was sold to Canada, Alaska would probably be less populated and underdeveloped today.

Considering that Canada is in closer proximity to Alaska than America, what if Canada had bought instead of the United States?

Well, one, I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but a quick answer would be to point out that Russia was specifically considering selling to the US, and negotiations had been going on since the mid 1840s for sure (maybe the 1830s; just spitballing right now).

Also, another point: the US purchased Alaska before Canada was even formed as a single Dominion, about three months prior. So any negotiations would have to start from that point if you desire Canada to purchase it (or, well, you'd have to move confederation up to an earlier formation).

A far more likely event is for the British to force a sale of the territory at the end of one of their various wars, or to have it exchanged as part of a bargain.

Also, Canada goes deeply into debt to buy what they believe to be tapped-out fur territory made up of icey wilderness (Which, if you're Canada, isen't something you're exactly in short supply of). Its not exactly a good deal for them, given the differences in supply/demand of money/open space, respectively.

Assuming Canada does wind up with it, it looks like a less developed BC. Once oil is discovered you may see a quasi-alliance between Alberta and Alaska over oil issues.

IMO, the most likely way for Canada to get it is if Britain buys/takes it, and it joins Canada later. Possibly with BC.

It being part of the Crimean War peace treaty is the easiest option because Canada has always been short of funds and had a negligible presence on the west coast until about the 20th century.

I except that Canada would focus on the railroad. From what I understand that was the condition British Columbia had for joining and until it is completed I doubt Canada would be interested in Alaska.