Camelot Continued (A Collaborative Timeline)

This is a collaborative timeline, which means contributions are welcome from everyone. This timeline does have some basic rules.
  • All political aspects of the timeline are bound to be polarizing, so as thread creator, I'll hold final say over elections. I promise that the results of elections will be determined by consensus after a thorough debate among the contributors over what would be the most realistic outcome.
  • I'm aiming for as detailed of a timeline as possible, similar to A Kinder Gentler Nation, so by all means please do geek out over alternate sports/athletic/culture/music/film/technology ideas for the timeline.
  • Please make sure any contributions don't violate the cannon.
  • We'll be going in installments of three month, so please limit your initial contributions to events that take place between November-December 1963 for now. Once we fill up every day, we'll do January - March 1964, etc, etc.

Wednesday, April 10th, 1963: Retired General Edwin Walker is shot and injured by an unknown sniper inside of his Dallas home; the failed assassination attempt of the ultra-right wing former military officer who the year prior had been a gubernatorial candidate in Texas draws the attention of the FBI, and Attorney General Robert Kennedy (no friend of the General's by any means) orders an investigation into the shooting. The suspect is tracked down within a week, and is arrested and charged. His name is Lee Harvey Oswald, an American defector to the Soviet Union who had recently returned from Russia. Oswald is tried and convicted later in the year, being sentenced to life in prison quietly on November 22nd, 1963. (POD).

Friday, November 22nd, 1963: President Kennedy and the First Lady make a successful visit to Dallas, Texas, where the President addresses local businessmen at the Trade Mart after his motorcade paraded through Dallas without incident with Governor John Connally and his wife Nelly, before traveling onwards to attend a fundraiser dinner in Austin for his reelection campaign. The President returns to the White House that evening exhausted, and retires to bed almost immediately.

Ooh, this looks cool! Count me in!

Monday, November 25th, 1963: Lee Harvey Oswald is brought to the North Tower Detention Facility, a maximum-security prison in Dallas located near the Dealey Plaza where President Kennedy was just days ago, to start carrying out his sentence.

Last edited:
Saturday, November 23rd, 1963: President Kennedy consults a conclave of his top advisers, including Attorney General Robert Kennedy, adviser Arthur Schlesinger, Senator George Smathers (D-FL), and staffers including Ted Sorenson and Larry O'Brien, to weigh whether or not the President should dump Vice President Lyndon Johnson from the ticket ahead of the 1964 elections, citing the Bobby Baker scandal as a possible risk to the President's reelection efforts. A consensus is not reached on whether or not to dump Johnson, though a number of alternatives are suggested, including Governor Terry Sanford of North Carolina among others.

Sunday, November 24th, 1963: Former Vice President Richard Nixon reiterates his decision to not seek the Presidency in 1964, telling reporters that he isn't "any bit interested at all" in running for the Republican nomination and that he is too invested in his work as a private attorney to campaign actively for any particular candidate. Though he insists he is not running in 1964, there have been rumors that Nixon could potentially be drafted at a divided Republican convention to unite an increasingly fractured political party, a scenario that Nixon refused to even entertain. "I had my shot" the former Vice President grumbled, "and I don't think I'm entitled to another one."

Saturday, November 23, 1963: The sci-fi television series Doctor Who premieres on BBC TV. The multi-episode story arc "An Unearthly Child" introduces viewers to a man known simply as "the Doctor" (William Hartnell) and her granddaughter Susan Foreman (Carole Ann Ford), time-traveling exiles from their home planet who use a police box known as the TARDIS to travel through time and space. While initially receiving mixed reviews from critics, the program will go on to become a mainstay of sci-fi television around the world.

Deleted member 145219

Sunday, November 25, 1963: Editors of Life Magazine hold a meeting that lasts for much of the morning. They discuss the timetable on publishing their expose on Vice President Lyndon Johnson's personal finances. Centered in their expose is Johnson's financial dealings during his time in the United States Senate.

Tuesday, November 26, 1963: President Kennedy is asked by reporters whether or not he'll keep Lyndon Johnson as his running mate for the 1964 election, to which he replies something to the extent of "no comment".