California Deutsche

Teleology

Banned
In 1843 a deal was struck, and Prussia made the California Purchase from Mexico. All of Alta California had been offered for 6 million, but the Prussians negotiated a partial purchase of only the northern part of that territory for a lesser sum. This newly partitioned territory was called by the Mexicans and the Alta Californian Spaniards "Alta Norte" (the Upper North), Northern California to the San Francisco Yankees suddenly absorbed it and the southern Alta Anglo smallholders who had overwhelmed the local dons. On the international stage it was simply "Deutsche California".

The partial purchase was thought wiser in Berlin, due to the German pioneer presence in Northern California and it's unofficial governance by a Baden-born Swiss, John Sutter (who would have preferred to fly the French Flag, but preferred the Prussians to being conquered by the United States). Sutter was originally allowed to govern the new colony from his planned utopia, New Helvetia, but eventually the Prussian government found more agreeable candidates in the small community of German adventurers and their families in San Francisco, who had accompanied Russian explorers and trappers decades earlier.

The early shift of power from Helvetia to San Francisco probably prevented the Yankees and other foreign emigres there from rebelling in the same manner as the free farmers in Alta Sur, but created a deep hatred between Sutter, the agrarian, and his Prussian-appointed replacements in the city.

As of 1845 no one would have thought that the rift between Sutter's old guard in New Helvetia and the Prussian favorites in San Francisco could be bridged by any event. This only goes to show how unexpectedly the path of North California's destiny would turn in a new direction...

Teleology

Banned
Thoughts about the basic premise, what you would like to see, suggested reading material for me on this subject?

Next up: the Gold Rush, wine country, and class conflict!

Prussia is in no conditions to have a colony and defend it against American settlers who will go there after gold is discovered. They have to concentrate in Unifying Germany. And to go there by ship also is not affordable for the common German emigrant.

So I think the best Prussia can do is to create a special agency to try to get as many people as possible to go to California and let them have a great deal of autonomy. After unifying more Germans start to go there and eventually it becomes something like Australia but German.

Thoughts about the basic premise, what you would like to see, suggested reading material for me on this subject?

Next up: the Gold Rush, wine country, and class conflict!

A very good premise(like Congo, 'country' California is a good cliche.:cool:) and very interesting for your future plan(and all are in extremly pausable secuence... the gold rush means inmigrant and capital... the wine is industry and that will make popular some Barbed person who died from always being sitting) and the idea of the Deutches Kalifornien.(anja give us the proper name) give us some questions... this a prussian only colony or the 'Zollverein have some influence in them'?, that will be a colony, become a Dominon like Canada?(the Prussian King is too the King of California or the Crown Prince ala Walles) or become a Staaten of the Deutches Kaiserreich(California is Catholic/Christian, Culturally similar to bavaria with more prussian element and is pausable for that)?

Well, i will follow this timeline... waiting for more update.

Att
Nivek von Beldo

Susano

Banned
The German term would be deutsch Kalifornien.

Anglophones may excuse you the misuse of English as foreign language, but concerning German I do not! :p Hyphen errors are as bad as grocer's apostrophes. :p It is Deutsch-Kalifornien...

Not that it matters much since its rather implausible. Mexico wouldnt just sell California, Prussia would waste no money to buy it, and even if as said American settlers would pull a Texas.

Awesome.

I am a sucker for a German state in the Americas as much as some people are suckers for Byzantine Airships or the Mongols roaming the Great Plains.

That being said what are the other, more plausible ways of achieving it?

What if Russia never invites the Ancestors of the Volga Germans, but Spain does to settle their American Frontier?

Teleology

Banned
Mexico DID offer California, specifically to Prussia, for 6 million dollars US.

The POD is that, seeing the most influential man in Northern California is John Sutter, a Baden-born Swiss, the idea of purchasing just the North for a reduced price appeals to the Prussians and they do it.

Nietzsche

Banned

The POD is that, seeing the most influential man in Northern California is John Sutter, a Baden-born Swiss, the idea of purchasing just the North for a reduced price appeals to the Prussians and they do it.

Err..

Do you have any evidence of this?

Really(please give a Source, i ghave another idea for victoria), but rather the north, Mexico Offer then the 'West'(aka the proper modern california state, use a map of the 'Alta California, that is the State of California, Nevada and West Utah and Arizona) that will be more sentitive geografically and politically(need maps here).

well, thanks for the details... i root for this timeline

Att
Nivek von Beldo

I like the idea.
A Prussian controlled colony Deutsch Kalifornien could absorb many German emmigrates, not just Prussian ones. One of the problems is that the Germans have to cross a foreign state to reach their colony if they don't want to travel around Cape Horn.

Maybe something like this:

Mexico_1845_to_1846.png

The light Blue is what I'm not sure of the owner, so I put the names in the possible owners language

Mexico_1845_to_1846.png

Well, if we define what's exactly Northern California in this case, then I can fix it. Also I think that saying just Northern doesn't limit how east it can go so it can easily go to border New Mexico

Well, if we define what's exactly Northern California in this case, then I can fix it. Also I think that saying just Northern doesn't limit how east it can go so it can easily go to border New Mexico

But alto is the upper part, i.e. everything above baja, correct? Therefore northern alto would be the top part of the top part.