Cadavera Vero Innumera

I'm loving this TL, keep it up! I came across it while doing research for my own TL (my first) that'll probably have a similar point of divergence, but radically different consequences. It's a good period to write about and to read because it's chaos. No research to do and no expectations. Nobody can comment on realism because anything can happen, the writer makes the world. Your map style has also been a great inspiration to me.

Thank you!:) I wouldn't say there's NO research to do. You still need to know, generally, about what Dark Ages kingdoms are capable of and likely to do. I still look up what happened OTL to get a sense of what's plausible ITTL. But things do get difficult when you get to a point where such a central feature of OTL gets butterflied away. Case in point: the situation in Italy ITTL prevents the Papacy from becoming a truly independent entity, and instead is inevitably under heavy Italian [Burgundian] influence. I can only really guess at what this means for the nature of Catholicism ITTL.

Sad thing about the byzangoths, sorry Ostrogoths being destroyed, they were one of my favourites (even in a TL about destroying the eastern Roman Empire I still crave to have it survive in some form:p). I look forward to see what the Umvahida will do in the Balkans.
I'm still plotting out what the fallout of Umvahidan Constantinople has for the Balkans. Heck, Ostrogothia's kingdom still hasn't been fully carved up yet; Alemannia, Aigyptos, and the local 'barbarians' are all picking at the carcass. I still have some plot points up my sleeve that'll come into play before the situation quite reaches a status quo.

I am shocked and appalled at your murder of my beloved Byzangoths! I just hope their replacement will be as interesting.

*sigh*

I thought briefly the timeline that brought me to this site had been resurrected. Ah well.

Still, one of the finer examples of map making I've had the pleasure of reading.

I am shocked and appalled at your murder of my beloved Byzangoths! I just hope their replacement will be as interesting.

...did you only just now read the update that was posted *checks time stamp* just over a year ago?

*sigh*

I thought briefly the timeline that brought me to this site had been resurrected. Ah well.

Still, one of the finer examples of map making I've had the pleasure of reading.

It wouldn't be a resurrection because the timeline's not dead per se. It is just in a state of VERY deep hibernation. I seriously didn't realize this thing hadn't been updated in a year. I've had the very beginnings of an update sitting in my hard drive for a good chunk of that time. It's just a lack of time, motivation, and/or creative spark that's prevented me from getting around to completing it.

Thanks for the kind words!

If both Empires fall it arguably won't make any difference to anything. In fact, it's possible the outlook might actually be better for Greek culture. Things could hardly have gone worse for the Eastern Empire in the long run, since the only place its language, culture and religion survives today is in the southern Balkans and the Aegean islands (Greece).

It’s a pretty spectacular decline from the Hellenistic period, when Greek cities, Greek kingdoms and Greek speakers could be found right across Anatolia, Syria, Egypt and all the way east to India. Basically, the Greeks got a rather poor deal from the modern world, considering their ancient scale and splendour.

If the Eastern Empire falls early on, it’s possible to imagine several post-imperial nations springing up on the former empire’s territory, similar to what happened in the west. With luck, these various kingdoms would simply evolve into modern nations such as Syria, Egypt, Anatolia and Greece – and all of them would have Greek as their language.

You could then imagine a situation where the legacy of Rome is, ironically, much more alive in the territories of the former Eastern Roman Empire than we have today OTL. Imagine a modern world with Hellenistic languages based on Greek being spoken in Syria, Egypt, Anatolia and Greece, in a similar way to which Latin based languages are spoken today in Italy, Spain, Portugal and France.

I told you it wasn't dead.

721:
Chindagild III orders the baptism of all Jews in Visigothia, specifically baptism in the Catholic rite of Christianity; the autonomous Arian chieftains naturally refuse, providing Chindagild a casus belli for war
With the return of Umvahidan forces to Thracia, a Turkbudun army augmented by Serbi auxiliaries marches into formerly Ostrogothic territory; the campaign is complicated by the increasingly-entrenched presence of Morduinos warlords and would-be warlords in the region
Eutychius succeeds Sabinian as Catholic Pope
722:
Chindagild defeats a Gallaecian army near Cascantum [Cascante]
The cultivation of manamelitus [21] is introduced to Aigyptos from across the Erythrean Sea [Indian Ocean] via Axumite traders [22]
Turkbudun and Umvahidan forces clash inconclusively near Helice [Ikliman]; both armies restrategize and turn their attentions to the lesser roaming bandits and war bands in order to consolidate their respective positions
Zeugitana throws its support behind Chindagild III, launching a devastating naval attack on the city of Valentia
723:
Purported year of completion of the Nicephorian [23] Corpus of Hayyan al-Himyari, known as Kaian to the West; this corpus will serve as the foundation for (al)chemical study in the Mu'min world with its application of early scientific method to Aristotelian ideas on the nature of matter
Troops from Baetica easily capture the city Bastia [Baza], located just over the border in Cartaginensis; Chindagild III successfully brokered an alliance with the Baetican chieftain by playing to anxieties about the powerful union of Lusitania and Cartaginensis
An Allemanian army defeats a Severi war band near Elis [Palaeopoli]; Allemania will go on to establish control over a large portion of the Pelopennesus [24]
A Lusitanian naval force attempts to enter the Mediterranean, but an allied fleet of Baetican and Zeugitanan ships sends most of it to the sea floor at the Battle of Barbesula [Torre Guadiaro]
724:
A Carpetanian force captures the Baetican city of Contributa Julia [near Medina de las Torres?]; with no support from its southern neighbour, Gallaecia suffers a defeat at the hands of Regnal forces in the Battle of Varia [Varea]
After establishing a presence in northern Euboea, Severi raiders begin using the city of Histiaea [near modern Istiaia] as a pirate haven
The arrival of the Veleti on their northeastern border prompts Italia to send a garrison to the old Roman fortress at Juvavum [Salzburg], effectively rejuvenating a frontier town that had almost declined into oblivion after the collapse of the Roman Empire
Disgusted with the lack of aid from the Autonomists to the west, troops in Cartaginensis revolt and put forth a popular noble as a pretender to the chiefdom; Chindagild III recognizes the usurper, and fighting in the region mostly dies off as erstwhile Lusitania loyalists realize which way the political winds are blowing
A Turkbudun account of the campaign in Thracia remarks on the uzengiler [stirrups] of Morduinos cavalry archers, the first definitive mention of the technology in Europa; historians speculate that the Morduinos learned about the equipment from contact with the Seganto [25] to the east
725:
Baetican forces score a major victory over Lusitania at the Battle of Rarapia [Ferreira], where the chieftain of the latter dies rather ignominiously in combat
Umvahidan forces advancing westward along the Ægean coast successfully besiege Thessalonica [Thessaloniki]
Upon the death of the king of Mierce, his two sons split the kingdom between them; the eldest rules Mierce proper, whereas the youngest rule over a restored [26] South Rheged
The last major battle of the latest Visigothian civil war takes place as forces from Cartaginensis emerge victorious at the Battle of Valeria [Cuenca?]; the ensuing peace solidifies the geopolitical gains of Regnal Visigothia while leaving the casus belli of the entire conflict unaddressed
A revolt against the taxation of non-Mu'mins breaks out in Sardis [Sart], quickly spreading across major cities in Anatolia; this prompts Yusuf to pull troops back from Thracia to deal with the insurrection
-------------------
[21] Manamelitus is supposed to be a Latinization of manna melitos, which hopefully translates to 'honey powder'; this will be the term ITTL for (cane) sugar
[22] IOTL the Arab conquest of Persia introduced sugar production to the rest of the Muslim world, but a surviving Ashinid Persia ITTL manages to keep the details of its cultivation to itself; ITTL a revitalized Axum continues oceanic trade between India and Egypt, creating an alternate vector for the lucrative trade good to enter the Mediterranean world
[23] Named after Nicephorium [al-Raqqah], which didn't get renamed Leontopolis ITTL for reasons that should be obvious to the astute reader
[24] A region they had controlled the western half of not even 2/3 of a century prior
[25] Labeled on a previous map as the Xueyantuo, which I decided would probably be Latinized if said group moved westward
[26] Not to mention expanded and less Brythonic

It is alive! It is alive! :D

Good to see an update, Jaydoh! Can you give us a map, so that we can better visualise the events?:)

Thanks! The standard quarter-centennial map will ensue once I remember (read as: figure out all over again) how I made the previous maps in paint.NET, GIMP, and Inkscape. I haven't really fiddled with a map in anything other than standard MSPaint in a long time.

A lot of the later maps aren't showing up.

It seems the one that disappeared were the ones I hosted on Imageshack. All the maps are still hosted there just fine, so I don't know what happened.

Do any readers know of a way to fix this problem without have to repost the images? Worst-case scenario I'll have to bother a moderator to let me edit the posts in the Finished Timeline sub-forum, which are missing the same maps.

And now the maps hosted on Imageshack are malfunctioning at the source, too. As such, I have instead decided to post all of the maps to my previously lurking-only DeviantArt account. Enjoy the (still only up to 700 a.d. :eek:) cartographic goodness!