C# Developer looking for some ideas for a grand strategy game.

Hello I am a game developer fluent in C#, and who loves alternate history and grand strategy games I have a team of four and we looking for an idea for our next project. What I am asking is what are your ideas for a grand strategy game? Please no modern or future ideas as it would be a fun game I just don't enjoy this time period as a video game perspective of course.

A game similar to Hearts of Iron but based around World War I time frame. Would start around 1910 and finish around 1930.

It's not grand strategy, but I was sad to see the Middle Earth: The Wizards card game (plus later expansions) disappear when Iron Crown Enterprises ran into financial problems. With rival bands (initially of heroes) wandering around Middle-Earth collecting valuable weapons, recruiting allies (either power individuals such as ents or groups such as the Riders of Rohan) and carrying out other quests, I felt that there was the basis for an interesting computer game there somewhere.
There's a website which at the initial time of this post still hosts copies of rules for the game (and various expansions) online: http://www.meccg.net/netherlands/meccg/index.html?rules.html

A diesel/steampunk world would be interesting. Start date would be 1800 to 1990. Maybe a mix of Hoi/EU and 1920+.
Maybe the PoD could be a surviving Alandalus (yes, I'm a fan) that starts the industrial revolution.

Last edited:
I love the dynastic and light RPG elements that Crusader Kings II has.

The early modern age has very few good grand strategy games set in it. (One of my dream games would be something similar to Empire Total War, but done well.)

Another thing that would be a good idea is for the "main campaign" would be the standard OTL setting, but have secondary campaigns that don't change any of the core mechanics but have ATL starts, technologies etc. , e.g. steampunk setting, fantasy setting, surviving Vinland or Rome setting etc.

Hm. Maybe a game where instead of playing a nation, you are playing a religious leader. Like, have a game based inEurope, but ITTL instead of Nicene Christianity basically being a massive juggernaught that curbstomps most heresies, Rome is an absolute cesspool of different Christian ideologies, and thus you have to guide your way through the early years of Christianity (Ecumenical councils, foreign invasions) from maybe 33ad to either 1054 (the first real split between Nicene Christian sects) or 1517 (when the Protestant Reformation starts and instead of there just being one kind of new heresy that conveniently blobs around an area, there is an absolute flourishing of Protestant sects that would be difficult and arbitrary to display in game)