Eparkhos

Banned
1-hagia-sophia-cross-2.jpg

In 1294, the ambitious prince Theodoros Palaiologos was bribed into submission by his brother, the emperor Andronikos II, taking a woman from the House of Libadarios and receiving lands in western Anatolia. What if this marriage never took place?

Table of Contents

Andronikos II
Alexios VI Leon VII

1293 1295, Pt.1 1297, Pt.3
1295, Pt.2
1294, Pt.1 1295, Pt.3
1294, Pt.2 1295, Pt.4
1294, Pt.3 1295, Pt.5
1294, Pt.4 1295, Pt.6
1294, Pt.5 1295, Pt.7
1294, Pt.6 1295, Pt.8
1295, Pt.9
1295, Pt.10
1295, Pt.11
1295, Pt.12
1295, Pt.13

1296, Pt.1
1296, Pt.2
1296, Pt.3

1297, Pt.1
1297, Pt.2

Last edited:

Eparkhos

Banned

On 12 May, a midwife named Maria Lakhana accidentally burned the bread she was baking, and becomes distracted while trying to salvage it. She refers a request for help to another midwife, but the delay results in the mother, one Magdalēnē Hágiotheódoritessa[1], passing during labor. The next day, her husband Mikhaēl, a farrier in the Imperial Stables crawls into work while very, very hung over and forgets to completely nail the shoe of one of the horses to its hoof. As a result of this, when Porphrygenitos Kōnstantînos[2] goes out for a ride that afternoon, his horse stumbles and he is thrown into a retaining wall, shattering his left arm and cutting his side. He is taken back to the palace and treated, but the smaller wound goes unnoticed and becomes infected and then gangrenous. After several days of agony, one of his servants smothers him in his sleep on 18 May, at 15 years of age.

With Konstantinos’ untimely death, his betrothed, Efdoxia Komnēne Moúzálōnissa[3], is suddenly without a prospective spouse from within the Imperial Court. Her father, Theódoros Komnēnós Moúzálōn[4], reluctantly agrees to an outstanding marriage proposal that had been offered up by Theódoros Palaiológos[5], the brother of Andrónikos II[6], the sitting basileus[7]. Efdoxia and Theódoros are married in Kōnstantînoúpoli[8] on 9 June, and with the wealth of the Mouzalonoi[9] behind him the latter feels confident enough to give a private ultimatum to Andrónikos; Give him the title of despotes and the appenage that it would entail, or he would exile himself to Trapezoús[10].

Andrónikos suddenly found himself in a bind. His eldest son, Mikhaēl[11], was disliked by many of the powerful families of Rhōmaíōn[12], partially due to his Latin[13] mother and partially due to his general incompetence. As such, if here were to refuse and a civil war were to brake out and he were to be seriously wounded or killed, Theódoros would certainly be preferred as basileus by most of the nobility[14], and his own children would meet grizzly fates. On the other hand, if he appeased Theódoros now and then arranged for him to have an ‘unfortunate accident’ later, then he could deftly side-step the issue and cement his power.

On 11 June, Theódoros was invested with the insignia of a despotes, and the next day he and his new wife departed Kōnstantînoúpoli for the Mōrea[15]. Unbeknownst to him, one of the servants aboard the ship bears a message for Iōánnēs Kantakoúzenós[16], the provisional governor of the Mōrea, with instructions on how he should…receive…them. The ship is also shadowed by a pair of Genoese privateers[17], just in case Kanatakoúzenós gets cold feet or blows the attempt and Theódoros attempts to flee via ship.

Meanwhile, in Western Anatolia, the strategós Isaákios Libádarios[18] found himself in a similar position. His long-term, well-laid plans had suddenly been thrown out the window by this sudden change in the capital. He had spent the last three years attempting to arrange a marriage between his daughter Eirénē[19] and one of the Imperial bachelors, which had as of late been narrowed down to Theódoros. This sudden marriage had practically destroyed his ambitions of rising through the ranks of the imperial military, eventually becoming the Mégas Doméstikos[20] and maybe even the basileus[21].

Of course, tying himself to the Palaiologoi wasn’t the only way to advance…

Libádarios quickly changed step, reaching out to the governor of the neighboring Thrakēsion[22] province, Aléxios Philanthrōpenós[23]. Philanthrōpenós was, conveniently enough, both a bachelor and a massively successful general, who had driven the Turks from the shores of the Aegean[24] back through the Thrakēsian Gates[25] and back onto the Anatolian Plateau[26]. There were also rumors that he might be preparing a bid for the throne. By forming an alliance with him, he (Libádarios) could secure domination over the western Anatolian provinces as well as what could very well be a winning political machine. Successful generals had power and popularity, but often had to give away much of their wealth to bankroll campaigns or buy support, while he had much wealth but not much public support. By becoming his father-in-law and by supporting Philanthrōpenós early on, he could create for himself a position of massive power in the new regime.

And so, Libádarios wrote to Philanthrōpenós in mid-June and proposed that he marry his daughter. Philanthrōpenós, who at that time was campaigning in the mountains of Karia[27] against Mesut of Menteshe[28]. Philanthrōpenós was initially hesitant to agree to it, as he was already betrothed to Theódora Akrōpolitessa[29], the daughter of his childhood mentor. However, he quickly caved when Libádarios offered to transfer the taxes from a minor border thēme[30] to him, as well as putting half an allagion (250) of his personal katáphraktoi[31] under the strategós’ command, which would strengthen his sparse heavy cavalry forces. At this, Philanthrōpenós reluctantly agreed, as a good deal of his Latin mercenaries (~100) had been ambushed and wiped out by the Karasids[32] in July.

After the year’s campaigning season ended in October, Philanthrōpenós returned to Smyrnē[33] and married Eirénē Libádaria in the city’s church. Libádarios transferred the territory and the promised retainers, then returns to his estates in Adramytteion[34].

------------------------------------
[1] Translates to "From the monastery of Saint Theodore (Fem.)"
[2] Constantine, the Purple-Born Prince
[3]
[4]
[5]
[6]
[7]
[8]
[9]
[10]
[11]
[12]
[13]
[14]
[15]
[16]
[17]
[18]
[19]
[20]
[21]
[22]
[23]
[24]
[25]
[26]
[27]
[28]
[29]
[30]
[31]
[32]
[33]
[34]

Last edited:
You know what they say, tenth times the charm I guess. Regardless I hope you keep writing this tl as I really enjoyed your other Philanthropenoi timelines. Though I suggest not centering the entire text but rather doing that for things like captions and images.

I think a map, and some more context for some of the newer readers who are not very familiar with the Byzantine world. In my case I only really know these places because I played countless hours of CKII with various mods like HIP which had Greek names and titles for the Eastern Roman Empire.

You know what they say, tenth times the charm I guess. Regardless I hope you keep writing this tl as I really enjoyed your other Philanthropenoi timelines. Though I suggest not centering the entire text but rather doing that for things like captions and images.

I think a map, and some more context for some of the newer readers who are not very familiar with the Byzantine world. In my case I only really know these places because I played countless hours of CKII with various mods like HIP which had Greek names and titles for the Eastern Roman Empire.
These are great suggestions, particularly adding a map and some context.

@Eparkhos_Ton_Trapezous I would also add images for the important characters if you can find them. That being said, I hope you continue this tl as it has amazing potential.

Eparkhos

Banned
Good start. Looking forward for more.
Thanks.

Thanks, I'll realign it and then work on context some. I went back and forth on putting in Anglicizations in parenthesis, but I'll do it now.
These are great suggestions, particularly adding a map and some context.

@Eparkhos_Ton_Trapezous I would also add images for the important characters if you can find them. That being said, I hope you continue this tl as it has amazing potential.
I'll add in maps, but I'm afraid I'll have to revert to CKII portraits just because a lot of these people are really obscure. (I spent three hours tracking down Livádarios' full name before finding it on the tourism page for Manisa, Turkey.)

Context: The Four Horses of Rhomaion

Eparkhos

Banned
Context: The Four Horses of Rhomaion

Abronezēs says; “The state is as a man who drives a four-horse cart. In order to move, he must take care of the mounts, and not let them flag, sicken or die. The four horses are the army, the logothetai, the church and the people.” (Neas Sirakhos (1411), 6:1)

Although Abronezēs is allohistorical, his words on governance ring true across Rhoman history. Since the time of Kōnstantȋnōs Mégas in the fourth century, maintaining power in the Eternal Empire was entirely dependent upon balancing limited resources between the five horses. Any overbalancing of resources would cause the other institutions to veer towards collapse, which would necessitate transference of resources to avoid a full-blown societal breakdown.

For the duration of the Palaiologian period, which began upon the ascension of the emperor Mikhaēl VIII in 1259, the church had been favored above the other three. The army had been expanded, from a total fieldable force of ~30,000 under the Laskaroi to ~25,000 under Mikhaēl, but this was both too small to defend the extended borders of Rhomaion and was soon reduced anyways when Andrónikos ascended the throne in 1282 and, fearing hostile nobility, reduced the size of the army to ~15,000 fieldable with the rest being either stood down or put on furlough in cities. The armies of semi-professional soldier-farmers that had guarded the borderlands since the time of Íraklios were dissolved, and the defense of the country was placed into the hands of the over-powerful pronoiai, whom were almost universally disloyal to the crown.

Many of you may be wondering what exactly pronoia are. Since the time of the Komnēnoi, the way to advancement within the capital and its political environs was through the bestowing of pronoia, which were transfers of tax income from the treasury to private persons. There was an expectation of military service in exchange for the position, but they often needed to be coerced into doing it. The system had functioned well under the Komnēnoi as it was awarded on a meritocratic bases and reverted back to the treasury upon death, but the cracks had begun to spread in 1261, when Mikhaēl had created the doctrine of ‘Assumption of Inheritance’, which caused the pronoia to transfer to the son of the previous holder by default with the state having the option to intervene, which was the reverse of the previous system. However, the floodgates opened when Andrónikos decreed in 1292 that the state resigned its right to cancel the pronoia and they became hereditary for all children.

The increase of the power of the pronoiai was symptomatic of yet another ill of the Rhoman state; the intergrowth between the martial nobility of the borderlands and the administrative nobility of the logothetai of the capital. The bestowing of pronoia was handled not by the Imperial chancellery, but instead by lower elements in the civil bureaucracy. Said civil bureaucracy didn’t have such barbaric things as ‘competency tests’, and as such promotion often involved a good deal of political intriguing. Those who were placed in charge of awarding pronoia almost universally bestowed them upon their relatives, thus crushing the meritocratic element that had made the system so effective at its inception.

While the church was nominally the most elevated of the four steeds, its good fortune soon proved to be a gilded cage beneath a magnifying glass. Andrónikos spent more time debating theology and making and unmaking patriarchs than he did actually ruling. In the first decade and a half of his reign he deposed and invested five patriarchs. He relentlessly persecuted religious minorities, driving away Turkish beys that were willing to align with Rhomaion against the Ilkhanate and sparking a running insurgency in Bithynia by the Ioannic Arsenites, who were particularly militant followers a different canon of patriarchs than the state church, and causing the majority-Arsenite population of Anatolia to begin actively fermenting revolt in hopes of either restoring the Laskaroi or creating a theocratic republic. Admittedly, the latter were a tiny minority but it does demonstrate how thoroughly enraged many people were by Andronikos’ religious policies. Most gravely, one of his policies was purposely antagonizing the Latins, which drove the pope to issue a call for crusade against the Rhomaioi. Charles d’Anjou’s army made it as far as Berat in Central Albania in 1282 before being turned back by a joint Rhomaioi-Thessalian army led by one Mikhaēl Tarkhaneiōtes, who would receive a festering wound that would ultimately kill him two years later. Tarkhaneiōtes’s sons would later make good use of his status as war hero, but for the 1280s and early 1290s the heavy losses taken during the Angevin War merely served as bitter reminders of Andrónikos’...folly.

And as for the peasants? Life was miserable. The lower-classes of Rhomaion, called paroikoi, were experiencing the suffering that their western brethren had experience during the Low Middle Ages--of course, their ancestors had been miserable during that period too, but western historians have a tendency to ignore that. The lives of paroikoi consisted of working from dusk to dawn six days a week, performing backbreaking labor to pay the taxes of two to three families to make up for taxes not paid by the pronoiai, all the time anxiously watching the horizon for any signs of a coming raid. The Anatolian region was subject to raids in the spring and autumn by the Turkmen, while those in the Haemikon (Europe) were attacked by the Slavs in spring and summer, the Vlachs in autumn and coastal raids by the Italians in winter and summer. Of course, when they were inevitably attacked they had no recourse other than booking it for the hills because of how local defenses had been stripped off funding by the pronoia. Of course, if you were subject to the pronoia, then you’d probably be protected. On the other hand, the pronoia worked the paroikoi as hard as they could get away with without having to actually field troops to put down a rising. They also had to pay tithes to the church, which were nominally 10% of their total income. Of course, since none of them could read, many local priests might ‘mistranslate’ the percentage and bump it up a little bit. And by a little bit, I mean an extra 10% or more. In summation, the lives of paroikoi were horrible, as was the condition of the state.

Last edited:
Great update! Looking forward for more.
In summation, the lives of paroikoi were horrible, as was the condition of the state.
Corrupt bureaucracy, political intrigue, enemies steadily encroaching on all sides, peasants worked and taxed to exhaustion, decadent elites, what could possibly go wrong?

A revolution, perhaps...

Context: The Relevant Parts of the World in 1295

Eparkhos

Banned
The Relevant Parts of the World in 1295 (West to East)

Italy:
Southern Italy is entirely ruled by the Kingdom of Sicily (Which in this case refers to the Italian mainland, as the island of Sicily is called Trincaria), which as of 1295 is ruled by Charles II d’Anjou. The kingdom’s ruling class is Francophone, with native-born Italians few and far between. The Sicilians briefly threatened the Rhomaioi in the 1280s under Charles I, but their attention was thankfully diverted by an uprising in Trincaria in 1282. The Trincarians invited King Pere III of Aragon to take the throne, and for the last thirteen years the two states have seesawed over the island, with the Aragonese currently in control. Things have reached a detente due to mutual exhaustion, and Pope Bonifacius VIII is currently mediating peace negotiations. However, Bonifacius is seen by many as Charles’ stooge, and the Trincarians have vowed to carry on the fight if the war is settled in favor of the Sicilians.

Hungary and Croatia: In simple terms, Hungary and Croatia are a crapshow. The last male member of the Árpád dynasty, András III, is barely clinging to the throne while vultures, both Magyar, Croat and Bohemian circle. The royalists have managed to hold on to some parts of the central plains, but almost everything else is controlled by feudal oligarchs. Three foreign princes, namely Duke Otto III of Bavaria, Duke Charles Robert of Salerno and King Václav of Bohemia and Poland, have laid claims to the throne, with Otto being backed by the Holy Roman Emperor, Charles Robert by the Pope and the Sicilians, and Václav drawing on what resources he can. While Václav is the most powerful, he can’t afford to turn all his forces against the Magyars due to the practically unending rebellion of Władysław the Short in the Polish crownlands. Whoever’s head the Crown of Saint István rests upon in ten years, it will be stained in blood.

Serbia: Serbia is in a strange place. In 1282, the stefan (king) Dragutin had abdicated the throne on what he believed was his death bed after being seriously injured during a riding accident. His brother, Uroš II (or as I like to call him, the Epstein of the Balkans) ascended to the throne and immediately started a war with Hungary because a group of Cumans from Bulgaria raided the borderlands and fled into Hungary. Dragutin, however, soon made a swift recovery and fled to Hungary with Serbian assassins on his tail.There, he raised an army and tried to march into Serbia to overthrow Uroš, but bungled it and wound up retreating back across the Danube with a broken army. Dragutin managed to convince László IV, the sitting king, to grant him a march on the Serbian border. For the past decade the two brothers have metaphorically stared each other down across the border, waiting for the other to make a mistake that would give them an opening.

Frankokratia (Greece and Albania): The crusader states that were set up in Greece after the Fourth Crusade are still chugging along, but the entropy has started to show. The Venetians have been driven from the Negroponte by an army of mercenaries led by the Megasdoux Likarios, and are barely holding on in Crete, having been forced out of the center of the island by the Rebellion of the Kallergoi. Meanwhile on the mainland, the feudal states are in the middle of a diplomatic crisis. Guy II, Duke of Athens, while nominally a direct vassal of the Principality of Achaea and thus indirectly a vassal of Sicily, has refused orders from both of his overlords and declared himself an independent ruler. The Lords of Salona and Bodonitssa, both statelets in Boeotia, have joined him. The Achaeans lack the strength of arms to depose Guy, and the Sicilians can’t afford to divert anything from the War of the Vespers, and so Prince Floris has been forced to try and bring his former vassal back into the fold via diplomacy. Meanwhile, in the north, the rival Greek states of Epiros and Thessalia have sworn fealty to Sicily and Rhomaion, respectively, in hope of gaining the forces necessary to reunite the lands of the old Thessalonikan Empire. Unfortunately for both of them, they are now evenly matched yet again.

Bulgaria and Vlachia: In 1279, a minor peasant rebellion began in Karvuna. Tsar Konstantin rode out to put it down, wound up taking a billhook to the face and everything exploded into a massive fireball. The once proud Second Bulgarian Empire has descended into an eight-way civil war, with no end in sight. The former royal family fled to Rhomaion, but several attempts to restore them have ended in abject disaster.

Rhomaion: Previously discussed.

Steppe: The Crimea is similar to how it has been for the past few centuries. The mostly autonomous province of Kherson became a fully independent state led by native Gothic princes with its capital at Mangyup. The Genoese have several factories on the coast, which are also mostly autonomous, while the Trapezuntines have vassalized the oligarchic republics of Kerkh, Tmutarakan and Suskho. Meanwhile, the Golden Horde has been torn in half by a massive civil war. Nogai Khan, the power behind the throne of the Horde, had had a falling out with the Khan Toqta, and the two had sparked a war that spanned the country. Nogai controlled a smaller area and held a smaller force, but was much more experienced and had the support of more nobles. Both armies are comparatively massive, and all of their neighbors have done the wise thing and kept their heads down.

Anatolia: Anatolia is a hot mess. The Sultanate of Rum has lost all control in the western part of the peninsula, and its former place has been taken by a mixture of Turkmen raiders from Central Asia and fanatical warriors, called ghazis or mujahideen. Said statelets spend most of their time either fighting each other or fighting the Rhomans, giving rise to a class of mounted warriors who make their living in war. The Turko-Rhomaioi populace of western Anatolia that had made up the bulk of the Seljuk population has been forced into second-class status, with the levers of power held by the newcomers. The miserable existence of pariokoi is quickly becoming a daily reality for their distant cousins on the other side of the fluid border. The primary state that has arisen to oppose the Seljuks are the Germiyanids, who now dominate the plateau west of Lake Tuz. They and their vassals are aggressively taking the fight to the Rhomaioi in the central section of the border, with the Isfendiyarids leading the war in the north and the Menteshids in the south.

Cilicia and Syria: Cilicia and Syria have replaced the Crusader States as the primary non-Islamic states in the Near East. Cilicia, or Armenia Minor, is a vassal state of the much more powerful Ilkhanate and is currently waging border wars against the Turkish beyliks and Rum itself. Meanwhile, the Ilkhanate is in the middle of a civil war between a Shi’ite faction and Nestorian-Tantric faction. The Shi’ites, led by the Khan Ghazan,appear to be on the brink of winning but the leader of the Nestorian-Tantrics, Khan Oljaitu, is gathering what forces he can in Syria for a final attempt to win the war.

Eparkhos

Banned
Great update! Looking forward for more.

Corrupt bureaucracy, political intrigue, enemies steadily encroaching on all sides, peasants worked and taxed to exhaustion, decadent elites, what could possibly go wrong?

A revolution, perhaps...
Thanks! And you're right, the ground is fertile for a revolution. A philanthropic revolution, if you would.

Nice update.
The Shi’ites, led by the Khan Ghazan,appear to be on the brink of winning but the leader of the Nestorian-Tantrics, Khan Oljaitu, is gathering what forces he can in Syria for a final attempt to win the war.
Nestorian-Tantrics. Would definitely be interesting if they could win the struggle against Ghazan only for them to fall out with each other into another round of infighting.

1294, Pt.1

Eparkhos

Banned

By late January, Andrónikos was becoming increasingly fed-up with Kantakoúzenós’ reticence to go through with assassinating Theódoros. He sent a furiously-worded order to attempt the assassination in the first week of February, and hit the roof when the reply message was not bringing word of his brother’s passing in an ‘unfortunate accident’ but rather a series of excuses and rebuttals from Kantakoúzenós. Although many of his points were valid (namely, that it would be bleedingly transparent if he was killed and that Theódoros had already moved on to Myzithras, and thus out of range of Kantakoúzenós’ network of spies and informants which were centered in Monemvasia) Andrónikos overruled them and told Kantakoúzenós, in so many words, that either Kantakoúzenós or Theódoros would be dead by the end of March, and he didn’t care which. With the threats of the basileus prodding him on like a sword-tip in the small of his back, Kantakoúzenós began arrangements for the despotes to have an accident.

After arriving in Mōrea the previous summer, Theódoros had made preparations for a campaign against the Barony of Argues, which had taken the side of Guy II in the ongoing diplomatic crisis. It was in all ways a backwater that was expected to put up little resistance, but Theódoros was eager to have a successful first campaign and as such was making preparations for all reasonable outcomes, namely, Guy II taking to the field with his full force of 500 knights, 1,500 horse and 4,000 foot. With such a comparatively large force hanging over his head, Theódoros spent the remainder of 1293 gathering as many forces as he could. Mōrea fielded two allagia (1000) of cavalry, a motley mixture of Latin mercenaries, katáphraktoi and Cuman mercenaries, but this would not be enough to win a single siege, let alone fight an army that could very well be six times that size. As such, he treated with the leaders of the three most bellicose peoples of Mōrea; the Tzakonoi, Maniátes and the Melingoi. The Maniátes and the Melingoi were famed for their ability as shock troops and the fear in which the Latins held them, and the Tzakonoi were often hired as mercenaries because of their reputation for discipline in combat. In September Theódoros went to the fortress of Palaiá Maïna, in the very south of Mōrea, and treated with Iōannēs Niklanē, the grand chief of the Maniátes. In exchange for a large pronoia, Niklanē agreed to loan out six allagia of warriors for five year’s time. Theódoros made similar arrangements with the grand chiefs of the other two peoples during the winter of 1293, gathering a force totaling 4,000 foot and 1,000 horse.

By February, Theódoros’ army was camped around Myzithras, waiting for the beginning of the campaign season and gathering supplies to cross the Parnon into Argues. The city had been turned into one giant army camp, full of mercenary-minded men who were eagerly awaiting the spoils that the year’s campaign would surely bring and as such would be very, very unhappy if they didn’t get their promised spoils. As such, it’s completely understandable that Kantakoúzenós was sweating bullets while waiting for word to come in from his agents.

On 27 February, one of Kantakoúzenós’ agents crept into the ducal bedroom of Myzithras, where Theódoros had taken up residence. The man brandished his dagger over the sleeping despotes and started to stab...only to throw himself off balance and fall onto Theódoros, dropping the dagger in the process. Unsurprisingly, this wakes Theódoros and the two wrestle over the dagger for several minutes before the noise attracts the attention of several guards, who rush in and subdue the assassin. After several hours of brutal torture, the would-be assassin cracks and reveals the identity of his employer.

Theódoros now found himself in a bit of a bind. His soldiers were eager to move into enemy territory and start looting everything they could, but at the same time not responding to the attempt would only invite more assassins. But at the same time, it was also unlikely that he could successfully campaign against Kantakoúzenós due to Monemvasia’s excellent position; It was located on a small island a little ways off the coast, far enough out that it was hard to besiege but close enough in that it couldn’t be bypassed.

After several days of deliberation, he finally came up with a series of actions that would allow him to avenge himself upon Kantakoúzenós, but also keep his disparate coalition from turning on him. On 5 March, when the passes had partially melted, he gave orders for the army to decamp and enter marching formations. The next day they departed Mystras, marching north-west along the old Slavic road towards Argues. The march is an arduous trek along a barely-extant dirt road through some of the roughest terrain in the known world that takes twice as long as it would to cover that distance over flat terrain.

After over two weeks of movement, the army emerges onto the lowlands surrounding Argues on the 21st. The city is poorly defended, as most of the barony’s fighting men had been shifted to the port of Naples two hours away to defend against attacks by corsairs. The city’s defenders hastily shut the gates, then open them two hours later when it becomes apparent that they are heavily outnumbered. A small force of a quarter allagion of Tzakonoi is sent in through the northern gate while the rest of the army gets their train together. However, an hour after that a rider arrives from Naples promising a relief force and the gates are shut again, trapping the Tzakonoi inside of a hostile city. Their captain, one Nikodēmos, realizes what’s happening and orders his men to scale a small hill in the north-west section of the city. The Tzakonoi make it up but just barely, coming under fire from arrows and baser projectiles hurled from the tops of buildings along the path and being assailed by militia at two points. Reaching the top of the hill the Tzakones barricade themselves within a small church and settle in for a siege. Theódoros is outraged by this betrayal by the city fathers and orders siege works to be dug around the city. Siege weapons are hauled up onto Anargiron, a hill to the west of the city that overlooks both the nearly-vacant citadel and the city proper. Flaming projectiles are lobbed into the city from the heights for the entirety of the night, stretching the civil fire brigades beyond their limit and completely destroying one of the three grain silos in the city. By the time daylight comes, a quarter of the city is ash. With much of the populace’s attention diverted by the fires, Nikodēmos seizes the opportunity and breaks out from the church, advancing up the hill to the citadel. They find one of the gates open and swarm inside, massacring the few defenders inside and then turning the ballistae inside on the outer walls facing Anargiron. An hour later, three allagion of Maniátes have clambered over the ruins of the walls and have begun to spread out into the cities. One of them rushes down to the south-western gate and opens it, allowing the rest of the army in. By the end of the day all of the city except for a small theater near the western wall have fallen. The city is subject to heavy looting, but after a solid day and a half Theódoros gathers as many Tzakonoi and cavalry as he can, then marches south-west for Naples.

They find the city mostly abandoned, most of the populace and the entirety of the garrison having fled into the hills to the west of the town. Theódoros marches into the town, parades through the streets and then, with the loyalty of his men secured through the looting, declares Kantakoúzenós to be deposed and in his place appoints Nikodēmos, thus indirectly proclaiming himself to have the powers of the basileus. With this action against both Kantakoúzenós and Andrónikos taken, the 108th Rhoman Civil War begins.

Last edited:
1294, Pt.2

Eparkhos

Banned
1294, Pt.2

Demētrios Koútroúlēs was a well-trained and experienced logistics officer who had served in the van of various regional armies for the better part of two decades, rising to the command of a Kentarkhia. Interestingly, he was the highest-ranking officer in Theódoros’ army to have seen actual combat, having been thrust into combat during the Siege of Berat when the camp was overrun by Albanian mercenaries. As such, his barging into the command tent and pleading for Theódoros to walk back his proclamation due to their poor situation was just a little bit disconcerting.

The new basileus had retired to his tent to begin ‘processing’ a cask of wine that had been seized from the cellars of Naples’ governor. He had been at this for about an hour before Koútroúlēs burst into the tent and began begging him to reconsider. Theódoros, by now thoroughly besotted, plays along in hopes that Koútroúlēs will exhaust himself and go away. Koútroúlēs then gives an explanation of how his declaration of revolt while they were in a fringe border territory would give the loyalists time to prepare while they trekked over the mountains to reach strategic points. The fact that they were in Mōrea made it doubly so, as their two options were to either sit outside of Monemvasia, hoping that the garrison would fall before an army arrived from Thrákē, or launch an insane and overreaching march across all of Éllas to somehow take Kōnstantînoúpoli before they all starved. But that later option was so outlandish that he couldn’t take it seriously, right? Right?

Koútroúlēs hurriedly launched into an explanation of how that would be insane because said path would take them through several heavily-defended fortresses, across multiple hostile states and through the home camp of the Western Army, all without the supplies necessary to keep the army fed even for six months, which would be how long it would take, even if all the fortresses in their path threw open their gates. But by that point Theódoros was thoroughly drunk and just wanted the irritating man to go away, and so ordered him to begin preparations for the march. He then passed out, and when he woke up the next morning with no memory of the night before. Upon seeing the army preparing to decamp, he assumed he had issued orders while he was sober and went about his normal routine.

Koútroúlēs, meanwhile, was in his tent mulling over his options. With his superior seemingly set on a suicide course, he knew he had to do something to save his own skin when the other shoe inevitably dropped. As such, he drafted two letters, one to Guy of Athens and one to Kantakoúzenós. The former gave a detailed plan of the route that Koútroúlēs believed they would be taking, and the latter was a frantic explanation of how he wanted no part of this conflict, was actively working against the rebellion and how if Kantakoúzenós just stayed in place this whole thing should collapse by itself.

News of the revolt spread quickly both north and south, likely due to the fact that many of Theódoros’s soldiers were mercenaries who wouldn’t know what ‘operational security’ meant if it bludgeoned them in the back of the head with a four-by-four. Kantakoúzenós received word of the rising on 30 March, only five days after it began, which was extremely unusual for the time period. The cause of this was Koútroúlēs’ message, which did exactly the opposite of what it was meant to and sent Kantakoúzenós into a right panic. The governor sent the fastest ship in his employ to the capital to summon aid while simultaneously beginning extreme preparations for a siege. He recalled the few troops left south of Myzithras and began destroying bridges and narrow roads to slow down the attack which he believed would be inevitable.

Said fast ship reached Kōnstantînoúpoli on 5 April, whence Andrónikos absolutely hit the roof, spending the better part of the day raging across Vlakhérnai in a rather petulant manner (Yeōrgios Pakhymérēs, the court chronicler, records that amongst other things the basileus hurled a hunting dog off of the third-story stairwell of the Palace and smashed two chairs into the wall) before finally calming down enough to start dictating policy. That is not to say, however, that he was really calm, as evidenced by his orders to have Kantakoúzenós demanicled* and the various shouted threats of what he would do to his Mégas Doméstikos, Iōannēs Sénnakhereim, if Theódoros’ rebellion was not put down posthaste. Sénnakhereim, supposedly staring anxiously down at the broken body of the dog, hurriedly agreed.

Theódoros was in command of one of the three field armies within Rhōmaíōn, leaving Andrónikos and Sénnakhereim with two options in terms of forces to face the revolt. The Doméstikos tōn Dysē, Mikhaēl Ylavãs, was last reported as being camped at Skopía with eight allagia of Cuman and Turkish mercenaries and six allagia of native infantry, and given his force and location he was the natural choice to march against Theódoros. A messenger was dispatched with orders on 6 April.

Meanwhile, Guy had received Koútroúlēs’ message on 28 March. Understandably, he was more than miffed by Theódoros conquering his territories, but he was also very much a pragmatist. If he were to help the self-proclaimed basileus become the actual basileus, then he could most likely inveigh upon him to cede some rather fringe territories that might give him a fighting chance against the Sicilians and their vassals. As such, he sent a messenger to Theódoros two days later, offering support for his bid for the throne and hinting that he had the name of a traitor in his camp.

This messenger reached the rebel army while it was camped on the southern side of the Hexamilion, waiting for a group of local workmen to clear out a section of the wall large enough to pass through. Upon receiving the Athenian courier, Theódoros agreed to Guy’s offer, then retired to his tent and began going through various suspects for a traitor. He had a relatively minor commander named Mikhaēl Strategópoúlos, and had him dragged out of his tent in the dead of night and hacked to death in the mess during breakfast the next morning. Strategópoúlos had always been suspected of embezzling and this was given as the reason for the admittedly unusually brutal execution, but in fact it was intended to scare the mole into flight. Koútroúlēs, though now sweating bullets, keeps his head down and after a few hours of intense surveillance the army moves on through the now-demolished wall.

On 5 April, the rebels and the Athenians link up at Thēvai, with Guy leading an army of 500 horse (mixed knights and unarmored) and 2,000 horse from the Attican baronies, with the intention of leaking up with troops from the western baronies. Although the atmosphere within the camp is tense, to say the least, the now-united army keeps shambling along towards mainland Rhōmaíōn, spending the next month slowly advancing along the southern coast of Kōpaïda and gathering troops (mostly coerced militiamen) from the local populace.

Ylavãs’ army reached the border with Thessalia on 13 May, and immediately crossed across into the state without bothering to consult the court at Lárissa. While they were technically a vassal state of Rhōmaíōn and thus any Rhōman army could enter the country at-will without permission, it absolutely incensed Despotēs Kōnstantȋnōs and his regent, Anna Kantakoúzena, as well as most of the Thessalian nobility. However, they were powerless to do anything because the entirety of the Thessalian army was camped outside of the port of Yalaxidéi, preparing of a naval invasion of Epiros, and could not be easily transferred.

While the officials were powerless, not everyone was. Andrónikos Tarkhaneiōtes, the younger brother of the war hero Mikhaēl Tarkhaneiōtes, had fled to Thessalia in 1289 after trying and failing to overthrow the basileus. He had never stopped dreaming of being an independent ruler, and he seized upon this mass anger to further his own position.

He slipped out of Lárissa on 15 May, riding east to the Rhōman port of Dēmētrias, which was one of the few cities garrisoned by equal parts mercenary and native. Tarkhaneiōtes convinced most of the garrison to join him, promising riches to the mercenaries and glory to the Rhōmans. After that he turned and raced down the coast, gathering up volunteers from the various veteran settlements along the Pagasitikós. He reached the port of Auláka, on the Malian Gulf opposite Thermopylae, on 25 May with a force of 4,000 foot and 500 cavalry. Of course, he knew that he couldn’t fight Ylavãs on an equal footing with a force that small, and as such was planning to let Ylavãs and Theódoros bleed each other and then finish off whoever survived and claim the glory for defeating the whole force. (At the time, he was unaware that Guy had sided with Theódoros).

Ylavãs, on the other hand, was moving much more slowly than he was expecting. The Thessalians along the marching road were uniformly hostile, and the local magistrates had taken to tearing up or burying the roads to spite them. On one occasion, a group of mercenaries hired by the local pronoiar stalled the army’s advance for two days in the pass of Thaumokós before the fortress finally fell and the locals were massacred. Resistance decreased sharply after that, and on 31 May the army staggered out of the hills into the plains west of Rodítsa.

Also by 31 May, the combined rebel-Athenian emerged onto the Rodítsan Plain. By now they numbered 3,000 horse and 8,000 foot, outnumbering Ylavãs’ army by a goodly margin. However, they were very much a divided force who would gladly fight each other at the first provocation. Both armies’ scouts made contact in the early days of June, and as the summer opened the two forces, with Tarkhaneiōtes waiting in the wings, marched towards the first battle of the Theódoran Civil War at the small ford town of Kómma.

Both armies’ scouts made contact in the early days of June, and as the summer opened the two forces, with Tarkhaneiōtes waiting in the wings, marched towards the first battle of the Theódoran Civil War at the small ford town of Kómma.
The battle is going to be good!

This is truely a good timeline keep it up epharkos. Pls dont turn this into a byzantine wank therr to much of these on this forum maybe tge aegean coast till attalea and the black sea coast

Eparkhos

Banned
This is truely a good timeline keep it up epharkos. Pls dont turn this into a byzantine wank therr to much of these on this forum maybe tge aegean coast till attalea and the black sea coast
Thank you! And you do raise an interesting point; There are too many Byzzie-wanks on the site. I'm going to try and play around with expectations; The Rhomans will reconquer Anatolia in the 14th Century in a long and bloody struggle, only for Timur to knock them back to the Marmara. I haven't decided on anything beyond that yet, but they probably won't reach the Taruses again.