Butterflies at the OK Corral?

I'm guessing most here know about the gunfight, if (like me) only from seeing "Hour of the Gun" & "Tombstone".;) I also imagine most know something about the Clantons & Earps.

So, what butterflies might be in play if one or more of the Earps is killed earlier in the feud? Maybe even Wyatt himself?:eek:

What if one or more is killed in the Gunfight? Or if Holliday is?

What if one of more of the Clanton/McLaury gang suvives who didn't OTL?

Does this have substantial butterflies on history? Or does it just change the casting of "Tombstone"?:openedeyewink:

Edit: Spellcheck McLaury...:oops:

Last edited:
I'm guessing most here know about the gunfight, if (like me) only from seeing "Hour of the Gun" & "Tombstone".;) I also imagine most know something about the Clantons & Earps.

So, what butterflies might be in play if one or more of the Earps is killed earlier in the feud? Maybe even Wyatt himself?:eek:

What if one of more of the Clanton/Mclowery gang suvives who didn't OTL?

Does this have substantial butterflies on history? Or does it just change the casting of "Tombstone"?:openedeyewink:
Wyatt wouldn't befriend Ted Roosevelt If he dies. Dead Wyatt would mean no Earp Vendetta. If Virgil dies an official law figure would have died in duty. If one or two of the Earp's dies Wyatt might take revenge on the Cowboys earlier. If Ike Clanton dies, the Cowboys have a Leasing figure less. What if Billy Claibourne was also armed and didn't flee the scene ? What if armed Curly Bill and Johnny Ringo happened to pass by ? QWaht If Johnny Beham intervened ?

Wyatt wouldn't befriend Ted Roosevelt If he dies. Dead Wyatt would mean no Earp Vendetta. If Virgil dies an official law figure would have died in duty. If one or two of the Earp's dies Wyatt might take revenge on the Cowboys earlier. If Ike Clanton dies, the Cowboys have a Leasing figure less. What if Billy Claibourne was also armed and didn't flee the scene ? What if armed Curly Bill and Johnny Ringo happened to pass by ? QWaht If Johnny Beham intervened ?
All true.

What's not clear to me is, does that have an effect outside the Earps & Clantons? No feud, or no pursuit, might mean a few people get killed who OTL didn't, but AFAIK (& hard to say), no grandfather of somebody famous.

Wyatt dead likely also means Doc gets hanged for murder.

Personally, I'd avoid adding anybody conveniently happening along...but Claiborne shooting somebody works.

Wyatt dead would, AIUI, also mean the myth of gunfighters notching their guns never happens. It would also probably mean "Sunset" doesn't get made--unless they use a different survivor.

What if one of more of the Clanton/McLaury gang suvives who didn't OTL?

Edit: Spellcheck McLaury...:oops:
It Anotheris still unknown who Shot at the Earls through the window of Fly's photography shop. Might have been even Sheriff Beham, Wyatts rival- an Ally of the Clantons. Another alternate scenario regarding thus topic could be a show-off between Sheriff Beham's Posse and Earp's Vendetta crew during the Earp Vendetta. The feud also could maybe influence politics. President Arthur around that time suggested to raise volunteer cavalry to crack down in lawless elements and corrupt officials in Arizona and New Mexico terrtories. Maybe If things escalate further early in Tombstone and the News are published, this military campaign could become real.

If Wyatt dies (in OTL he wasn't even hit!) then the whole "legend" of the OK Corral and the Earps/Holliday as the Good Guys vs the Clantons/McLaurys/Billy Claibourne never really happens. It probably just becomes an obscure part of Western lore instead of a pivotal moment of it. Wyatt himself, living to an old age, writing/talking about the events, and then living in Hollywood, was one of the propagators of the myth of that day.

President Arthur around that time suggested to raise volunteer cavalry to crack down in lawless elements and corrupt officials in Arizona and New Mexico terrtories.
That could have interesting knock-ons.

Was there a chance of a slightly different approach? That is, something like a proto-FBI to deal with the widespread crime? Or would that employ larger numbers of Federal Marshals, instead? (Hmm...Seth Bullock in Deadwood? {"Did you roofie me, Bullock?":openedeyewink: })