Bush replaces Cheney

• Thread starter Deleted member 109224
  • Start date

Deleted member 109224

In Decision Points, George W Bush mentions that Cheney was willing to step down as running-mate for W's second term due to the perception that the Vice President was secretly running things/had a tremendous amount of influence. W ultimately opted against.

What if W had accepted the idea and replaced Cheney? Who might he replace him with? Giuliani perhaps? DHS Secretary Ridge? John McCain?

What would be the effect come 2008 when the GOP has an heir apparent?

Replacing Cheney could cut both ways. On the one hand, it could improve Bush's support among independents turned off by Cheney. On the other hand, it could create suspicions about Cheney's role in the administration and Bush's leadership. The last time a VP was actually replaced in a re-election year was Henry Wallace in 1944, and this didn't seem to inlact Roosevelt's chances in the election.

As for who exactly would replace him, Bill Frist or John Danforth wouldn't be bad candidates. Either man could certainly help Bush strike a more moderate image that would help him with independents.

Would Bush promise that Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz won't be in his second term cabinet?
Granted I'm not American so I might have missed their level of importance, but did Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz have enough of an impression on the general public that including accepting their pro forma end of term resignation letters as part of the campaign make much in the way of a difference?

Granted I'm not American so I might have missed their level of importance, but did Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz have enough of an impression on the general public that including accepting their pro forma end of term resignation letters as part of the campaign make much in the way of a difference?
Not sure about Wolfowitz, but Rumsfeld certainly did.

Not sure about Wolfowitz, but Rumsfeld certainly did.

Rumsfeld was a key player is the decisions that caused the Iraqi occupation to go wrong so quickly. While I'm unsure the general public understood the details a lot of us former military were banging our heads on the table as his directives in the DoD became known. While Rummy was not the central figure in all this he was a major contributor to the damage.

Rumsfeld was a key player is the decisions that caused the Iraqi occupation to go wrong so quickly. While I'm unsure the general public understood the details a lot of us former military were banging our heads on the table as his directives in the DoD became known. While Rummy was not the central figure in all this he was a major contributor to the damage.
Rumsfeld was also often on tv trying to convince voters and Congress that Hussein has WMDs and therefore Iraq must be invaded ASAP.

Rumsfeld was also often on tv trying to convince voters and Congress that Hussein has WMDs and therefore Iraq must be invaded ASAP.

True, he was the face of the neocons military & geopolitical/strategy philosophy. One had to dig through the back pages and between the lines to understand Chenys role in all this.

Would Bush try to downplay how much influence they had, or go the 'blame everything on my evil advisors' route?

My impression is that was not his style. I may be wrong, but I do not recall him turning on former staff and blaming them for the failures, at least not publicly. He tended to turn the narrative to the future and looking forward, some similarities to Regan there.