Burying the Hatchet: A Nintendo/Sega TL

Nintendo Space World Part 2 - Nintendo Power Coverage
Nintendo surprised Japanese fans this year by hosting two Space World events simultaneously. The reasoning behind this was to test the new online system for the GameCube the Nintendo Netcast and we at Nintendo Power we’re there live in Kyoto with exclusive coverage. Super Smash Brothers Melee was playable but unfortunately while online functionality was announced for the game, the demo was only local multiplayer. Sonic the Hedgehog was playable and the blue blur really shows off his speed being easily the fastest character in the game. You can even fight on Green Hill Zone! The classic level from the first Sonic game has been brought to life in Super Smash Bros! This stage just might be the biggest in the game so far with long horizontal hills perfect for showing off Sonic’s speed. There’s even a bridge left to center that can be broken. Super Smash Bros Melee will release summer 2002 but if you wanted a fighting game on launch day then don’t worry because Capcom has you covered with Marvel vs Capcom 2. The arcade hit comes to the GameCube with an added online vs mode and we can happily confirm that all our online matches had seemingly no lag. This latest iteration of the crossover fighter features the largest cast yet with 56 playable characters. If you need something to tie you over until Smash Bros releases then definitely pick up this game on launch day.

While everyone’s exited for Sonic Adventure 2 Sega isn’t just bringing their mascot to the GameCubes launch, a new game called Super Monkey Ball was shown off. It’s a unique game were you guide a monkey in a ball to the goal but instead of controlling the monkey control the very level itself! By tilting the control stick you tilt the level which really gets the ball rolling (No pun intended.). But don’t think for a minute that this game is a simplistic game for kids. We got the chance to play some levels that weren’t on the show floor and they were very difficult, even experienced gamers will have trouble completing this game. Super Monkey Ball might not be as cool as Sonic but it’s without a doubt just as fun.

Sega has even more games planned for launch, Shenmue II the sequel to the original Shenmue on Dreamcast is set to launch with the GameCube in Japan. Ryo Hazuki continues his quest for vengeance as he explores Hong Kong searching for his father’s killer. While the game is set to launch in Japan with the GameCube there’s no word yet on the English release date.

While Sega’s really stolen the show for the launch of the GameCube we can’t forget about Mario’s little brother Luigi, who’s finally getting his own game. Luigi’s Mansion is a game where Luigi wins a mansion but finds that it’s full of ghosts! Armed with a vacuum cleaner Luigi sets into the spooky place to find his brother. By shining your flashlight on the ghosts you stun them and that’s your chance to suck them up. We even fought some boss spooks who aren’t so easily spooked by your flashlight. These bosses take a little problem solving to get them stunned. This visually eerie game will launch alongside the GameCube.

Pikmin is a real time strategy game that stars a space traveler named Captain Olimar who crash lands on a mysterious planet. Olimar must find all 30 of his missing ship parts before his life support runs out in 30 days, but you’re not alone in this adventure you quickly befriend local creatures called Pikmin. These ant-like creatures will loyally follow you and do whatever task you throw at them (quite literally as Olimar will throw the Pikmin.). You can assign Pikmin to various tasks such as fighting enemies, collecting ship parts, and making more Pikmin by bringing back flower pellets. The Pikmin are essential to complete your task because by Olimar is laughably useless by himself. Just about everyone here at Nintendo Power enjoyed Pikmin which is set to release in 2002.

Jet Set Radio Future is on the way to the GameCube. This game is an updated version of Jet Grind Radio featuring the same great skate & paint gameplay of the original but adds new features. Spraying graffiti has been streamlined, no longer requiring any use of the joystick. If you were a fan of Jet Grind Radio or heard how great it is you should skate down to the nearest store to pick this up when it releases in February.

We couldn’t play Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II so we don’t have as much to say as we’d like, but watching other people play we can tell it’s a fun RPG as you and others players fight monsters, complete quests and explore an uncharted planet. The game is split between Episode I and Episode II, Episode I contains the original Dreamcast game while Episode II features entirely new content which series producer Yuji Naka has described as a sequel. While no release date was announced we look forward to hearing more about Phantasy Star Episode I & II.

Now let’s talk about the two games that weren’t playable Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda. Mario’s newest adventure has him donning some kind of device on his back. Mario never uses it in the video so the devices purpose is unknown. What we do know is that levels look much bigger in scope than Super Mario 64. We’re excited to find out more about Mario latest escapade in the future. The new Legend of Zelda looks to be much different than pervious entries featuring a cartoonish cel-shaded style, a sharp contrast to the video we saw at last Space World. That said it looks to be a fun entry into the classic series and we look forward to more of this unique graphical style.

Finally let’s talk about what we didn’t see at Space World. Upcoming Rare games Donkey Kong Racing and Dinosaur Planet were nowhere to be seen. In fact Rare was strangely absent at Space World despite being at previous Space World events. One must wonder what is happening over there in Britain.

Well that wraps up the final Space World event in Japan. We’re going to miss Space World as we at Nintendo Power have fond memories traveling to Japan to see and play the latest games that Nintendo has to offer.

--------------------------

So I got this chapter out within a month. Hopefully I can get chapters out a little faster now that I'm not writing anymore big press conferences anymore. Also rather than just showing the next chapter I'll show the currently planned chapters.

Next Chapter: Internet Friends Chat September 2001
Upcoming Chapter: The GameCube Launches
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Christmas 2001
Upcoming Chapter: Nintendo's Restructuring

Internet Friends Chat September 2001
Nintendude87: So how’s everyone?

1337H@Xx: G00d n da h00d

Pikafan: Been buildin my dream team in Crystal. Gotta start leveling up Larvitar.

Sonicfan1991: Got Sonic Adventure 2 on Dreamcast. Couldn’t wait for the GameCube release.

Justkaleb: Busy finding everything in Majora’s Mask.

1337H@Xx: rly? u still got a DC? u seen the trade in dealz?

Sonicfan1991: Yes but I don’t want to part with my DC. I’ve invested so much in it.

Pikafan: ikr? little bro deletin my original Red save was the worst day of my life.

Sonicfan1991: Since I already got SA2 on DC I Can’t decide on a GC game. Any ideas?

Nintendude87: idk about you but I’ll be getting Luigi’s Mansion. Seems to be a fun game.

1337H@Xx: u lookin 4 multiplyr get Quake 3. 4 single playr get Half Life

Justkaleb: Poor Luigi. Guy finally gets his own game and he gets overshadowed by Sonic.

Pikafan: Man imagine the GC’s launch without Sega. It’d be literally just be Luigi & Half Life.

Nintendude87: So you guys seen Nintendo Space World?

Sonicfan1991: Freakin Sonic in Smash! I Cant belive it!

Nintendude87: Sonic is cool but feels expected now that Nintendo owns Sega. Snake on the other hand.

1337H@Xx: y snake? mgs is a ps1 game

Justkaleb: Maybe MGS1 or 2 will come to GameCube?

Nintendude87: There’s actually Metal Gear on the NES. It’s the first game in the series.

Pikafan: Mega Man would’ve made more sense.

Sonicfan1991: Agree. Him or Ryu.

1337H@Xx: wtf was that zelda trailer?

Pikafan: ikr

1337H@Xx: what kiddish bs was that?

Nintendude87: I don’t mind it too much. At least it looks fun.

Sonicfan1991: I thought Zelda was the kewl Nintendo series.

Pikafan: It is. OOT is awesome.

Nintendude87: Seriously it’s one of the best games of all time.

Sonicfan1991: It’s really that good?

1337H@Xx: ya oot fukin pwns

Justkaleb: Majora’s Mask is just as good. Little on the short side though.

-----------------------------------------

Next Chapter: The GameCube Launches / That blue hedgehog again of all places!
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Christmas 2001
Upcoming Chapter: Nintendo's Restructuring

The GameCube Launches / That blue hedgehog again of all places!
After much anticipation the Nintendo GameCube launched in Japan on September 14th 2001 while in North America the GameCube launched November 12th 2001 where it promptly flew off the shelves selling out the entire initial shipment in both regions and was hard to acquire throughout November. Many attributed the strong launch with the SEGA acquisition, the shifting of Dreamcast titles to the GameCube and the Great Sega Exodus.

The GameCube was sold for $199.99 being the cheapest console of its generation and came with a wired controller, memory card, AV video cable, and power cable. The GameCube OS is the same but the options menu includes options for managing online functionality. There are options to create an account, add or delete an account, and input friend codes and accept friend requests, and disable online functionality by creating a four digit pin.

Nintendo Netcast in Detail

A Nintendo Netcast Account can be created in the options menu on the GameCube OS. Up to three accounts can be saved per GameCube. Every account has a friend code that can be inputted by other players to add that account to their friend list. Once you have imputed an accounts friend code the account owner must accept the friend request in the options menu. There is an option to lock all online functionality by inputting a custom four digit code. Online functionality is completely disabled for all accounts unless the four digit code is inputted to unlock online functionality.

Various Accessories Included:

GameCube Controller - $19.99

Memory Card - $9.99

20ft Broadband Cable - $14.99

56k Modem & 20ft Dial Up Cable - $24.99

GameCube Arcade Stick - $29.99

Sega’s Dreamcast Arcade Stick redesigned for the GameCube. It added a D-Pad and C-Stick in the bottom center in between the buttons and the Joy Stick, and a Z Button next to the L Button and a special button on the top left next to the pause button that switched the inputs of the Joy Stick and the D-Pad. These additions made it fully compatible as a controller being able to be used with every game. The controller sees high use from competitive Melee players.

Launch games included Sonic Adventure 2, Luigi’s Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, Bomberman Online, Shenmue II, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, NBA 2K2, NFL 2K2, and Wave Race Blue Storm with the North American launch adding Quake III Arena, Half-Life, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 3, Star Wars Rouge Squadron II: Rouge Leader.

Certain Launch Titles in Detail

Sonic Adventure 2

This version bears many similarities to OTL Sonic Adventure 2: Battle featuring upgraded menus, expanded multiplayer and the Black Market in Chao World but it does not have the GBA connectivity features. The games multiplayer can be played online like the Dreamcast version.

Half-Life

The GameCube version of Half-Life is a rework of OTLs cancelled Dreamcast version. The game comes with two discs. Disc one is the single player campaign. It features improved graphics and an exclusive mission pack called Half-Life: Blue Shift. Disc two features online multiplayer with Deathmatch and Capture the Flag game modes. The second disc also features Team Fortress Classic as a bonus.

Crazy Taxi 1 & 2

Crazy Taxi 2 which was planned for the Dreamcast was delayed and included with a port of the first game.

Shenmue II

Only available in Japan during launch and retailing for 7000 Yen, Shenmue II was easily the largest GameCube game requiring 4 discs. TTL version of Shenmue II features Donkey Kong and Mario Bros arcade machines at the Pine Game Arcade. It’s one of the most expensive aftermarket GameCube titles with all 4 discs selling for 200-400.

Top Selling Launch Titles in Japan

1. Sonic Adventure 2

2. Shenmue II

3. Luigi’s Mansion

4. Marvel vs. Capcom 2

5. Super Monkey Ball

Top Selling Launch Titles in North America

1. Sonic Adventure 2

2. Half-Life

3. Luigi’s Mansion

4. Marvel vs. Capcom 2

5. Quake III Arena

Hello Nintendo fans! Our friends over at Sega have provided for us this great info on the top 5 most played games on Nintendo Netcast. We’ll be providing this top 5 every month in our Power Charts alongside our Players Choice and Most Wanted.

Most Played Online Games

1. Sonic Adventure 2

2. Half - Life

3. Marvel vs Capcom 2

4. Quake III Arena

5. Bomberman Online

Excerpt from Nintendo Power - November 2001

We talked earlier about how Sega influenced the development of the Nintendo DS. What role does Sega play into developing new hardware?

Satoru Iwata: When we develop new hardware like the Nintendo DS we include Sega in the development process. Sega plans out the online functionality of our hardware and we work extensively with them to see what sorts of features are possible and if they are worth adding. Sega’s ideas on various software and online functionality often change our plans on hardware. The team at Sega also gives us their opinions on our hardware plans, which is good. Sega often shares our opinions on various things but they also might disagree on some other things. We work very well with Sega.

Nintendo had bought Sega in early 2001 when the GameCube was in development. Did Sega have any kind of influence on the GameCubes development?

Satoru Iwata: We had the GameCube mostly planned out when Sega entered the picture. But Sega did influence the GameCube before we even sought to purchase them. In meetings with Yamauchi-san and others we decided if we were going to purchase Sega we would make sure that the GameCube could easily connect online so we added a broadband modem once the acquisition of Sega was finalized.

So when it came to having 56k or Broadband. Why did you pick broadband as the GameCubes main mode of online connectivity? A lot of people were still using dial-up when the GameCube was launched.

Satoru Iwata: We picked broadband because we felt that a broadband connection would become a necessity for online gaming in the near future. We were correct as many later GameCube games required a broadband connection. That being said we didn’t want to completely ignore the many people still using dial up so a 56k modem was made as an external accessory for those without broadband.

The GameCube really pushed online as a selling point. So why wasn’t a cable included?

Satoru Iwata: Adding the broadband modem increased the cost of the system. If we had included a cable we wouldn’t have been able to sell the system at the price we desired. We included a cable as an accessory at launch.

Sega made people pay a subscription fee for SegaNet and when Microsoft launched X-Box Live you needed to pay a subscription fee. Was Nintendo Netcast ever planned to be a paid service?

Satoru Iwata: We debated about a paid service for Nintendo Netcast but Miyamoto-san and myself had doubts about people paying for such a service. After talks with Sega it was ultimately decided that Nintendo Netcast would be free of charge.

What kind of new online features will the upcoming Revolution have?

Satoru Iwata: We can’t really reveal any details right now but Sega is hard at work on improving Nintendo Netcast with many new features and improvements.

Excerpt from Famitsu Interview with Nintendo President Satoru Iwata - March 2006

-----------------------------------------

Next Chapter: Gaming News Christmas/Winter 2001
Upcoming Chapter: Nintendo's Restructuring: The Era of Iwata
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Spring 2002
Upcoming Chapter: Super Smash Bros Melee / Smashing the Servers

Excerpt from Famitsu Interview with Nintendo President Satoru Iwata - March 2006
That is a massive jump forward but seems SEGA did have a good influence all around

Shenmue II
Woah, very unique title for being exclusive, and seems was hella nice those extras

A shame not VF at launch, but seems they're pushing all for VF4 instead(now Running in Triforce rather NAOMI?)

Jejejeje, Smash will kill those poor servers

Amazing chapter buddy, loved the launch

The discussion on the DS made me realize it's been 15 years since the launch of the original Nintendo DS.

Man...I feel old now.
Time surely past flying, i still remember those console lauch.

Wonder what will be the butterflies on the revolution, specially with Sega, nintendo now would have experience with more diverse hardware(thanks to arcades)

Gaming News Christmas 2001- Winter 2002 / A Rare Situation
Christmas 2001 was heating up for video games with every new gen console on market there was stiff competition for the PlayStation 2 which saw the release of Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy in early December, and Final Fantasy X releasing stateside. The GameCube was still selling fast and the system had gained the highly anticipated title Pikmin an RTS game by Shigeru Miyamoto, Rez a Sega title that released December 20th. While the X-Box was lacking in exclusive titles, Halo: Combat Evolved was major hit becoming the consoles flagship title with Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams releasing in time for Christmas.

The Post-Christmas season saw the GameCube sales would slow down but sales picked back up with the release of Virtua Fighter 4. Meanwhile the Game Boy Advance picked up sales with the release of Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World and Sonic Advance. Despite this the Game Boy Color was still showing what it could do with a recent title called Shantae, published by Sega of America after the games previous publisher Capcom pulled out shortly after Christmas citing sales of the Game Boy Advance. While the game was critically praised the game sold poorly due to the Game Boy Advance’s rising popularity.

Rare HQ - Twycross, United Kingdom, February 2002

Chris and Tim Stamper had been in a meeting with Hiroshi Yamauchi and Satoru Iwata for the last hour. Discussing things like how Rare was going to tackle the increasing cost and resources of game development, what kind of games Rare were planning in the future among other rather uninteresting business matters. The major issue that hadn’t been brought up yet was whether Yamauchi would purchase Rare or not. Tim’s patience had already wore thin months ago and Nintendo’s purchase of Sega felt like a blow to the face. He was ready to rage out on Yamauchi. Tim knew that Yamauchi would probably rather have a nice check from Microsoft or Activision for Nintendo’s existing Rare shares than spend even more money. The only thing good about this meeting so far was impressing Iwata with their latest build of Dinosaur Planet.

Just as they were about to discuss Rare’s future with Nintendo a secretary came in interrupting their meeting. “Sirs I know you’re both in a meeting but this is important.” The secretary told Chris and Tim “This important reason better be a good one.” Tim had to hold in his rage. “It’s Bill Gates from Microsoft. He’s demanding one of you speak to him.” The secretary replied. “I apologize for this interruption.” Chris told Yamauchi and Iwata. Yamauchi looked impatient. He said something in Japanese before waving his hand in a shooing motion. “One of you can take the call.” The translator replied. “I’ll handle this Chris” Tim told his brother and he went off to his office.

Tim picked up the phone. “Hello? Mr. Gates it’s good to hear from you.” “Mr. Stamper it’s good to hear from you too. I’ll get straight to the point. I’m going to make you an offer you can’t refuse.” Bill Gates sounded confidant. “I feel that Rareware is a valuable company and pending Nintendo’s shares I’m willing to go as high as 520 Million for ownership of Rareware.” Tim was dumbfounded by the amount. It was obvious to Tim that Microsoft felt threatened by Nintendo. The GameCube had a very successful launch, especially compared to the X-Box’s launch. That being said the X-Box was rising in popularity with its own exclusive games and Bill Gates was looking to bolster those exclusive with Rare’s IPs. Perhaps Rare could be more successful with Microsoft. “Mr. Stamper? You still there?” Bill Gates was interrupted Tim’s deep thoughts. “Sorry Mr. Gates I was just thinking. Anyway I would have to speak with Chris on this and” Tim was interrupted by the door opening, it was Chris.

“Tim are you still on the phone with Gates?” Chris asked. “Yes. What’s going on?” Tim asked. “It’s about purchasing Rare.” Chris said. “Really what’s that old squinty eyed jap demanding?” Tim assumed the worst. “Nothing. They’ve offered to purchase the rest of our stock. All we need to do is sign.” Chris dropped the news but for Tim it felt more like a weight being lifted off of his shoulders. “Stamper. Are you still there? I’m getting impatient.” Gates started to get frustrated. “Actually Gates, fuck off you rich ass yank.” Tim hung up the phone. “Let’s go sign that contract.” Tim sounded much happier. “There is one thing though.” Chris said. “What is it?” Tim asked. “Apparently HAL Laboratory would like to add Banjo and Kazooie to the new Smash Brothers game.” Tim said. “Is that all? That sounds great. Let’s go.” Tim and Chris Stamper walked back to the meeting room feeling confident about the future.

Major Games December 2001 - February 2002

Breath of Fire - Developer: Capcom / Publisher: Capcom / Platforms: GBA (SNES Port) / Release Date: Dec-01

Pikmin - Developer: Nintendo EAD / Publisher Nintendo / Platforms: GCN / Release Date: Dec-2

Mega Man X6 - Developer: Capcom / Publisher: Capcom / Platforms: PS1 / Release Date: Dec-04

Final Fantasy X - Developer: Squaresoft / Publisher: Squaresoft / Platforms: PS2 / Release Date: Dec-17

Universal Studios Theme Park Adventure - Developer: Nai'a Digital Works / Publisher: Kemco / Platforms: GCN / Release Date: Dec-18

Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams - Developer Konami / Publisher: Konami / Platforms: X-Box / Release Date: Dec-19

Rez - Developer: United Game Artists (Sega) / Publisher: Sega / Platforms: GCN / Release Date: Dec-20

NBA Courtside 2002 - Developer: Left Field Productions / Publisher: Nintendo / Platforms: GCN / Release Date: Jan-13

PaRappa the Rapper 2 - Developer: NanaOn-Sha / Publisher: Sony / Platforms: PS2 / Release Date: Jan-21

Forever Kingdom - Developer: From Software / Publisher: From Software / Platforms: PS2 / Release Date: Jan-22

Sonic Advance - Developer: Sonic Team, Dimps / Publisher: Sega / Platforms: GBA / Release Date: Feb-3

Virtua Fighter 4 - Developer: Sega AM2 / Publisher: Sega / Platforms: Arcade, GCN / Release Date: Feb-9

Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World - Developer: Nintendo EAD / Publisher: Nintendo / Platform: GBA / Release Date: Feb-11

Shantae - Developer: Wayforward / Publisher: Sega of America / Platforms: GBC / Release Date: Feb-15

Jet Set Radio Future - Developer: Smilebit (Sega) / Publisher: Sega / Platforms: GCN / Release Date: Feb-20

Pac-Man World 2 - Developer: Namco USA / Publisher: Namco / Platforms: PS2, GCN, X-Box / Release Date: Feb-24

Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure - Developer: Vicarious Visions / Publisher: Universal Interactive / Platforms: GBA / Release Date: Feb-25

Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future - Developer: Appaloosa Interactive / Publisher: Sega / Platforms: GCN (DC Port) / Release Date: Feb-28

Current Nintendo Netcast Users: 785,856

Most Played Online Games February 2002

1. Half -Life

2. Sonic Adventure 2

3. Marvel vs. Capcom 2

4. Quake III Arena

5. Virtua Fighter 4

-------------------

Next Chapter: Nintendo's Restructuring: The Era of Iwata

Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Spring 2002

Upcoming Chapter: E3 2002

Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Summer 2002

So this update felt a little small since nothing interesting is really happening yet. I managed to come up with this bit with Chris and Tim Stamper. It’s a good continuation to a previous bit about them in the TL. Yes Rare was bought by Nintendo. I feel it’s a bit cliché in Pop Culture ATL but I figured eh what the heck. Next update hopefully shouldn’t take a whole month. Since it’s already figured out I just need to write it.

So this update felt a little small since nothing interesting is really happening yet. I managed to come up with this bit with Chris and Tim Stamper. It’s a good continuation to a previous bit about them in the TL. Yes Rare was bought by Nintendo. I feel it’s a bit cliché in Pop Culture ATL but I figured eh what the heck. Next update hopefully shouldn’t take a whole month. Since it’s already figured out I just need to write it.
Still nice update buddy, like the game list and how rare solved their concerns.. THAT HUNG UP WAS HELLA FUNNY

Seeing Rare's decision brings much hope to 2002 and beyond. We might actually see KI3, Perfect Dark 0 doing much better, and what I hope for the most: DKC 4 for the GBA.

Also, got a sega/Bandai related question: is there any Gundam: Federatuon vs. Zeon will be gamecube bound. While Capcom made the game, the arcade release was on SEGA's NAOMI board.

Also, got a sega/Bandai related question: is there any Gundam: Federatuon vs. Zeon will be gamecube bound. While Capcom made the game, the arcade release was on SEGA's NAOMI board.
This is something that will be explained in the next update. Nintendo has been offering third party developers a discount on licensing fees for games that were being planned or developed for the Dreamcast. Which is why Half Life and MvC2 have showed up on the GCN. Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon likley fits this criteria and I'll make sure to include it in the game list for Spring 2002.

Nintendo's Restructuring: The Era of Iwata
Nintendo held a meeting with its shareholders in early April where they revealed how they would restructure the company and how they were moving forward with GameCube and the Gameboy Advance. We at IGN have read the whole meeting transcription and have trimmed it down and removed the boring business talk. If you do want to read the whole thing we have a link down at the bottom of the page.

Nintendo first opened up with Hiroshi Yamauchi who announced his retirement and presented shareholders with his choice for President. Satoru Iwata who is currently the head Nintendo's Corporate Planning Division was to succeed Hiroshi Yamauchi who will officially step down in early May before E3. Despite stepping down from his position as President Hiroshi Yamauchi will become Chairman of Nintendo’s Board of Directors. Sega’s current President Hideki Sato will remain president. Satoru Iwata commented that he synergizes well with President Sato and that Nintendo and Sega have good communication between each other. Nintendo said that one of their top priorities for the GameCube is to attract not only new third party developers but to bring back old third party developers that were lost during the N64’s lifecycle. One of the ways Nintendo was attracting developers was by giving Dreamcast developers a discount on licensing fees. Developers would get a discount should they port their Dreamcast titles to the GameCube. Nintendo said that this how they acquired the critically acclaimed Half Life for the GameCube’s launch. Iwata went on to say that Nintendo was a company for all ages and said that Half Life has helped them gather a larger teenage audience. An audience that Iwata claimed Nintendo had problems attracting in the past. Nintendo went on the say that they would still be family friendly.

Nintendo began talking about the restructuring of their own company. Nintendo Research & Development 1 and Nintendo Research & Development 2 would merge with each other to form Nintendo Software Planning & Development. Nintendo estimates the merging will be completed in late 2003.

Nintendo Software Technology a small development studio housed within Nintendo of America is expanding. The studio will be moved out of Nintendo of America and will now be located in Seattle, utilizing a building that was bought and renovated for the purpose of housing the game development studio. Nintendo Software Technology will be renamed to Nintendo Development USA.

Nintendo continued with its affiliate companies. Beginning with Rareware, Nintendo announced they had purchased the studio earlier in February and went on to say that Rare has always done good work for Nintendo and that Nintendo wants Rare to continue working for Nintendo.

Genius Sonority is a new development studio that was founded in July 2001 and was funded by Hiroshi Yamauchi’s Q Fund. The studio was created for the purpose of creating Pokemon titles for the Nintendo GameCube and future home consoles.

Retro Studios was purchased from Jeff Spangenberg for only 1 Million dollars due to a controversy of Spangenberg using Retro’s servers to host inappropriate content. Despite the buyout Nintendo says that they are disappointed in Retro Studios and that the studio would be shut down after development of Metroid Prime. The studio is not a total loss however as Retro’s development team would be merged into the new Nintendo Development USA.

Nintendo announced that they have signed a deal with Wayforward Technologies to develop games for the Gameboy Advance. Nintendo said that they were impressed with their latest game Shantae, a Gameboy Color Game that pushed the systems graphical capabilities and received highly positive reviews. Nintendo will assist Wayforward’s funding for 3 Years and pending their success Nintendo may purchase stock in the studio in order to cement their relationship.

Nintendo has sold their stock in Left Field Productions back to the company. Left Field Productions is no longer affiliated with Nintendo in any way.

Finally we come to Sega, Nintendo stated that the Sega purchase was for a multitude of reasons but the biggest reason they said was for its online network. Nintendo says that Sega will assist in developing next generation systems and that Sega’s contributions will mostly be through software and the expansion and improvement of Nintendo Netcast. Sega would be allowed to continue publishing third party games in Japan but only on Nintendo systems. Nintendo will allow Sega to advertise & license their intellectual properties as they deem fit but Sega will require Nintendo’s permission which Nintendo said would only be rejected in “extreme circumstances”. Nintendo then began to talk about how various parts of Sega would be restructured and went on to say that Sega had a hand in planning the restructuring.

Sega of America was to merge with Nintendo of America. Nintendo stated that in order to make room for the merger Nintendo Software Technology had to be vacated. Nintendo Software Technology which was renamed Nintendo Development USA was given a new location in Seattle not too far from Redmond.

WOW Entertainment would shut down and merge with Overworks while Overworks itself will be renamed Sega AM1.

Sega Rosso would shut down and merge into Genius Sonority in order to boost Genius Sonority’s development team. Nintendo expects the increased development team will be able to better handle the increased resources of console development. Sega had little objection to the merger and wanted to dissolve the studio.

Sonic Team USA would be renamed Sega Studios USA in order to lessen confusion between the core Sonic Team in Japan.

United Game Artists would shut down and merge into Sonic Team

Nintendo and Sega agreed to sell their SIMS Co. stock to its president Noboru Machida. SIMS Co. and is now an independent company and no longer affiliated with Sega or Nintendo.

Finally there’s Marza Animation Planet a new CGI Studio that is spun off from Sega’s CG divison. The studio will produce high quality cutscenes for Nintendo and Sega’s games, among other promotional art and trailers. The studio will open next year.

-----------------------------

Next Chapter: Gaming News Spring 2002

Upcoming Chapter: E3 2002

Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Summer 2002