Nohoho: Wally Wingert
Zoh Daimaoh: Wally Wingert
Suketoudara: Michael J. Sorich
Dark Prince (Satan): Denis Akiyama
Guest Characters
Kirby: Makiko Ōmoto
Dr. Eggman: Mike Pollock
Dr. Mario: Charles Martinet​

Starting development almost immediately after development of Puyo Puyo Fever finished. Originally a simple sequel to Fever, when Yuji Naka suggested the game be a pack-in title for the DS the team expanded and went into overdrive to make sure the game not only made launch day but to make Puyo Puyo Fever DS one of the best Puyo Puyo games yet. Expanding the roster to include the original Puyo Puyo cast and adding a number of gameplay modes. Kirby and Dr. Eggman appear as special guest fighters due to older Puyo Puyo games being reskinned to their series in the past. Dr. Mario also appears because Miyamoto “Thought it would be funny for Dr. Mario to pop Puyos like he pops pills”. The end result is one of the most memorable Puyo Puyo titles to date. Including the game with the Nintendo DS helped push the Puyo Puyo series to fame outside of Japan and becoming what Nintendo consideres a “Major Franchise”.
Puyo Puyo Fever DS is one of the best-selling Puyo Puyo games. Including bundled copies Puyo Puyo Fever DS has sold over 120 million copies, making it the best-selling game of all time until being dethroned by Grand Theft Auto V and Minecraft. As of 2020 Puyo Puyo Fever DS is 3rd Best Selling Game of all time.

Gameplay
The game’s menu is a map of Primp Town which divides the various gameplay modes by buildings.
Town Hall: The location of the Player Ranking, Minigames, and Options.

Magic School: Story Mode is located here. Amitie, Raffina, Sig, Arle, Schezo, and Draco all have their own unique story. Amitie, Raffina, and Sig also have a short tutorial story where they all battle each other with their semifinal opponent being Feli and their last opponent being Klug.

Nohoho’s Shop: You can buy items for use in single player matches here. There are also purchasable Puyo skins and backgrounds. Nohoho, as the name implies, runs the store.

Museum: The museum is where you can listen to the game’s soundtrack, watch Story Mode’s cutscenes, and read books in the library that give lore.

Playground: The spot for all multiplayer modes both local wireless and online. DS Download Play is also supported. The multiplayer modes are.

Fever Battle: All characters have unique dropsets and build up a Fever Meter to enter Fever Rush.

Classic Battle: The classic Puyo Puyo Tsu ruleset, all characters have the same dropsets.

Mission Battle: Players are given various tasks to complete. Whoever completes the most tasks wins.

Trap Battle: This mode plays the same as Fever Mode, but instead of Fever Rush having large chains, the chains are very small. This reverses the value of Fever Rush as the player is unable to create large chains and is unable to offset the larger chains outside of Fever Rush essentially turning the Fever Rush into a trap.

Tower: The location of single-player challenge modes, including.
Endless Fever: An endless Fever Rush.

Endless Mission: An endless single player version of Mission Battle.

Endless Classic: An endless single player version of Classic Battle.

Endless Battle: The player goes up against opponents without stopping.

Plot Synopsis
A senior student of Primp Magic School named Lemres comes back from an errand that Ms. Accord sent him on (Explaining the new character’s absence in the previous Puyo Puyo Game). Lemres has 3 magic items to deliver to Ms. Accord, the Stone of Moon, the Lantern of Star, and the Bookmark of Sun. But something goes wrong when Lemres encounters Klug. When Klug takes one the Bookmark of Sun in order to increase his books magical potential, the bookmark violently reacts when Klug puts it in his book resulting in an explosion of magical energy. Klug begins acting “Strange” after the magical explosion and flees off to parts unknown.
Meanwhile Schezo and Draco find themselves teleported to another world. They quickly find Arle who has been stuck in the Fever world for a while now. Arle says that she saw a huge burst of magical energy and suggests they split up to figure out what’s happening.

Amitie Route
Amitie searches for Klug but ends up coming across Dark Prince who brags that Primp Town is the perfect honeymoon spot for him and Arle and the burst of magical energy caused by the incident with Klug allowed him to travel here in pursuit of Arle, though he mentions the spell “worked a bit too well” as it brought the rest of the Original Puyo cast along with him. Amitie calls him a weirdo and fights him, believing he’s the cause for Klug acting strangely. After defeating Dark Prince, Amitie finds Klug (Having been freed earlier from Possessed Kulg’s encounter with Draco) who relents that he never should’ve taken that bookmark. They both decide to go back to the school, having a good laugh while doing so.
Amitie’s Opponents
Klug
Lidelle
Nohoho
Zoh Daimoh
Schezo
Arle
Witch
Dark Prince

Raffina Route

After Klug disappears Lemres asks Raffina to help him find the 3 magical items. Raffina is completely disinterested, telling him to go find them himself. He convinces her to help one of the magical items the Stone of the Moon by inserting the fact that it is said to improve one's complexion, upon hearing this Raffina immediately leaves to go find it. She eventually comes across Dark Prince who has the Stone of the Moon. When Raffina demands he hand it over Dark Prince refuses, saying it’s a honeymoon gift for Arle. After beating Dark Prince and taking the Stone of the Moon she returns to Lemres and says she got the stone, but that it doesn’t seem to work. Lemres compliments her complexion and that the stone definitely worked. Raffina rejoices as Lemres heads back to Feli, revealing to Feli that the Stone of the Moon doesn’t actually do anything for one’s complexion and he just lied to get her to retrieve it. Feli chastises Lemres for lying but he rebuttals by saying that a great magician is an expert at trickery.
Raffina’s Opponents
Lidelle
Nohoho
Arle
Suketoudara
Serilly
Schezo
Rulue
Dark Prince

Sig Route
Ms Accord and tasks Sig to go find Amitie who’s already rushed off to go save to go save Klug while Lemres asks him to help find the Lantern of Star as Raffina is already looking for the Stone of Moon. Ms. Accord gives him a note on how to help Klug return to himself and sends him off to find her. Along the way he comes across Prince Salde, the Ocean Prince in his human form. Wanting to return to his fish form Salde bribes Sig with free meals and naps in order to have him help find the Lantern of Star, which he needs to transform back into a fish again. Sig isn’t tempted by Saldes offer but he agrees since he needed to get the Lantern of Star anyway. Sig ends up coming across Dark Prince, who has the Lantern of Star. Dark Prince claims to have found it after losing his previous honeymoon gift (The Stone of Moon) for Arle. After Sig defeats Dark Prince he takes the Lantern of Star. Salde grabs the lantern, turning back into the Ocean Prince. Though Sig still needs to find Arle and give her Ms. Accord’s note. Amitie and Klug just happen to show up, Sig tells Amitie that he has a note from Ms. Accord to give her but “It’s pointless now.” and throws away the note. Amitie, Sig, and Klug all watch as the Ocean Prince returns to the ocean only for the Ocean Prince to be eaten by a whale.
Sig’s Opponents
Serilly
Nohoho
Zoh Daimoh
Schezo
Suketoudara
Draco
Witch
Dark Prince

Arle Route

Arle is in search of the magical burst of energy. Arle ends up at Primp Magic School where she meets Ms. Accord, who ends up pointing her in the direction of Possessed Klug. When she defeats Possessed Klug, he states that he’s not the cause of Arle ending up in this world. Arle expresses frustration about how she can’t seem to get home, but thinks that this world isn’t so bad.
Arle’s Opponents
Nohoho
Onion Pixy
Feli
Ms. Accord
Yu & Rei
Raffina
Oshare Bones
Possessed Klug

Schezo Route

Shezo senses great power from a far-off place and goes searching for it, believing it to be the cause of his ending up in a nother world. His journey takes him to Possessed Klug who calls him a “creeper” after Schezo tells him to “Unveil everything to me, leave nothing covered!”. Schezo who’s been called a creeper by everyone the entire game finally decides he’s had enough and fights Possessed Klug. When Possessed Klug is defeated Schezo is ready to “Thrust his sword deep inside him” but Schezo senses a familiar power nearby and goes toward it, completely ignoring Possessed Klug.
Shezo’s Opponents
Lidelle
Oshare Bones
Yu & Rei
Feli
Lemres
Raffina
Sig
Possessed Klug

Draco Route

Draco absentmindedly forgets about searching how to get back home and instead searches for something to eat. In her quest for food, she somehow ends up coming across Possessed Klug. After defeating him, Draco takes Possessed Klug’s book, confusing it for a cookbook. Possessed Klug begs Draco not to remove the bookmark from his book. Draco removes it and asks if this is the one he means. Possessed Klug screams as he's sealed back into Klug's book. Draco leaves when she finds out the book isn’t actually a cookbook, completely unaware that she freed Klug from being possessed.
Draco’s Opponents
Oshare Bones
Onion Pixy
Serilly
Nohoho
Ocean Prince
Suketoudara
Lemres
Possessed Klug
Looks good so far.

I wonder if there will be a some sort of "Puzzle Pack" compilation in the future, featuring Tetris, Dr. Mario, Panel de Pon/Puzzle League, and Puyo Puyo?

Even with a VC I can see native versions of all the puzzle games, for handheld and console. And by bundling them together you can do vs modes that combines all the games like Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Even with a VC I can see native versions of all the puzzle games, for handheld and console. And by bundling them together you can do vs modes that combines all the games like Puyo Puyo Tetris.
Umm I could see Nintendo pushing an early Puyo Puyo Tetris as at the Nintendo licensed Tetris rights at the time for Tetris DS. Plus a mega puzzle game including Tetris, Puyo Puyo, Columns, panel de pon among others could happen

Killer Launch Title / Killer Instinct DS
Killer Instinct DS.png

Box Art

Killer Instinct DS
Developer: Rareware
Publisher: Nintendo
Platforms: Nintendo DS
Release Date: November 21, 2004

Characters
Jago
Black Orchid
Fulgore
Glacius
Sabrewulf
Spinal
T.J. Combo
Riptor
Maya
Shadow Jago
Omen​

Rare was always late to Nintendo’s handheld systems. It wasn’t until 2003 that Rare made its first game for the Gameboy which released in 2001. When Rare first learned about the DS, they were determined to put out a game for the DS’ launch. The end result being a new Killer Instinct, though Rare would admit the title was a rushed product as the game heavily resembles the previous installment Killer Instinct 2 without any major changes to the gameplay. With some gamers jokingly referring to it as "Killer Instinct 2.5". Running on a new engine, this entry is notable for being the first game in the series to use fully animated 3d models for the characters during gameplay. Killer Instinct DS sold over 3 million copies in its lifetime.

Plot Summary
Killer Instinct DS takes place sometime after Killer Instinct 2. Black Orchid’s crusade against UltraTech still continues as UltraTech hosts another Killer Instinct tournament. Meanwhile a look-alike of Jago has been spotted assassinating those who oppose UltraTech. It’s now up to the half-siblings Jago and Black Orchid to figure out who this look-alike is and finally defeat Ultratech.
This look-alike is known as Shadow Jago. A clone of Jago created by UltraTech but the real reveal is that Gargos is inhabiting the clone Jago’s body. Once the player character kills Shadow Jago, Gargos take on a new ethereal form known as Omen who serves as the final boss of single player.

Gameplay
Continuing the gameplay from Killer Instinct II. The top screen features the characters while the bottom screen gives you your health, your enemy's health, and a list of your special moves. The game also features an online matchmaking mode and an arena mode where you can battle your Nintendo Netcast friends.
Two new characters are introduced, Shadow Jago and Omen.
Shadow Jago is a clone of Jago created by UltraTech and is inhabited by the spirit of Gargos. Shadow Jago is clone fighter of Jago with some slight tweaks. Shadow Jago is faster and has more powerful attacks at the cost of added fragility.
Omen is the soul of Gargo’s given ethereal form after his vessel Shadow Jago is killed. Omen is the boss fighter of the game and is thus purposefully OP. Omen’s style is exactly like Gargos but he now has a much faster speed at the cost of attack power.

Controls
Move: Circle Pad / D-Pad
Jump: Circle Pad Up / D-Pad Up
Light Punch: Y
Medium Punch: X
Fierce Punch: L
Light Kick: B
Medium Kick: A
Fierce Kick: R
Grab: Y + B / X + A / L + R

Last edited:
I think that’s sufficient enough. I think this is the first time I’ve actually used the Nintendo Netcast logo when making box art. I forgot to add it into Mario Kart Double Dash’s box art.

Next Chapter: The roar of a Lionhead / Fable
Upcoming Chapter: Pokemon Anime Season 7 / Pokemon Advanced Challenge
Upcoming Chapter: Perfect Shooting / Perfect Dark: 2000
Upcoming Chapter: Third Time’s the Charm / Shenmue III
Upcoming Chapter: Battle of the Hunters / Metroid Prime 2: Hunters
Upcoming Chapter: Intense Dual Screen Racing / F-Zero DS
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Fall 2004
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Holiday / Winter 2004
Upcoming Omake: Cartoon Network City Era
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Spring 2005
Upcoming Chapter: E3 2005
Upcoming Chapter: The Greek Tragedy of a Squirrel / Conker’s Other Bad Fur Day
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Summer 2005

Last edited:
I'm trying to imagine how the DS control scheme would work with a fighting game and I can't figure it out.

Or is this supposed to be something along the lines of Double Dragon?

I'm trying to imagine how the DS control scheme would work with a fighting game and I can't figure it out.

Dude, you never played a fighting game in the SNES? those work the same way with the dpad

Not bad. Not bad at all.
Seems got the right hype, even if feel KI 2.5 seems a solid game all around,
Thanks. I admittedly don't know anything about Killer Instinct so I can see why this could be thought of as "Killer Instinct 2.5". The game was in all likelihood rushed to meet the DS release date. I've added some extra sentences to reflect this.

Added a Control section. Killer Instinct is a pretty basic 2D Fighter akin to Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat.

I was tired when I made that post and I somehow got it into my head that EVERY DS game used the touchscreen gimmick. When I ignore that it makes sense as to how this would work.

The roar of a Lionhead / Fable
Fable Box Art Good Small-min.png
Fable Box Art Evil Small.png

Box Art(s)
The game had a reversible cover with each side representing light and dark.

Fable
Developer: Lionhead Studios
Publisher: Nintendo
Platforms: Nintendo GameCube
Release Date: September 14, 2004

The game is the same as OTL.
Fable sold over 3 Million copies in its lifetime.​

Not much to say about this one, but I did come up with the reversible box art.

Next Chapter: Pokemon Anime Season 7 / Pokemon Advanced Challenge
Upcoming Chapter: Perfect Shooting / Perfect Dark: 2000
Upcoming Chapter: Third Time’s the Charm / Shenmue III
Upcoming Chapter: Battle of the Hunters / Metroid Prime 2: Hunters
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Fall 2004
Upcoming Chapter: Intense Dual Screen Racing / F-Zero DS
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Holiday / Winter 2004
Upcoming Omake: Cartoon Network City Era
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Spring 2005
Upcoming Chapter: E3 2005
Upcoming Chapter: The Greek Tragedy of a Squirrel / Conker’s Other Bad Fur Day
Upcoming Chapter: Gaming News Summer 2005