Burying the Hatchet: A Nintendo/Sega TL

Not bad, you should have added sega programmers to the nintendo difference and would be unique, still nice update, waiting the next one
Agreed.

Oh,I do have a question for the gamecube discs. IS the disc format still using minidvd's? and if so, will there be an option for developers to use the dual layered discs for more storage?

Not bad, you should have added sega programmers to the nintendo difference and would be unique, still nice update, waiting the next one

Thanks, I didn't think of that. But I guess since E3 is an American event they focused on English speaking developers (Sonic Team USA not withstanding). I really should familiarize myself with the other Sega devs.

Agreed.

Oh,I do have a question for the gamecube discs. IS the disc format still using minidvd's? and if so, will there be an option for developers to use the dual layered discs for more storage?

The GameCube is exactly the same as in OTL (at least the early models anyway) so yes it still uses MiniDvD. Sega came in a little to late to really alter the GameCube.

They could in theory, wonder why nintendo never pushed for it...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiniDVD#MiniDVD_capacities

Thanks. I'll have to start checking various games to see how big they are.

The GameCube is exactly the same as in OTL (at least the early models anyway) so yes it still uses MiniDvD. Sega came in a little to late to really alter the GameCube.
I think adding a modem/BBA internally is still possible....
Thanks. I'll have to start checking various games to see how big they are.
https://gamicus.gamepedia.com/List_of_GameCube_video_games_with_multiple_discs very few games anyway(SEGA games might be the biggest for other consoles)

Shot in the dark here, could nintendo and square reconcile early enough that we could see kingdom hearts and chain of memories come to the gamecube as an collectors edition?

10 Years of Going Fast
Sonic Adventure 2 released and Sega held a big party in San Francisco to celebrate not just the games launch but Sonic’s 10 year anniversary. Sega had just about every single Sonic game up for the attendees to play. Yuji Naka was there signing just about whatever was thrown at him. Games, consoles, even a copy of Mario 64 from a Nintendo fan who confessed that Nintendos purchase of Sega made him more interested in Sega games and he came to see “What he’s been missing out on”. The party was great send off to an era for both Sonic and Sega.

Unfortunately everywhere else in the world was a different story as Sonic Adventure 2 sold poorly on the Dreamcast. Not just because the Dreamcast was being discontinued, but because the game was announced for the GameCube at E3. Most people who preordered the game simply switched their preorder to the GameCube version or traded in their Dreamcast collection to save money on a preorder for the GameCube. In fact EB Games held a 60% credit on all Dreamcast trade-ins toward a Nintendo GameCube an offer many Dreamcast owners took advantage of. Some gaming news sites dubbed this “The Great Sega Exodus” as Sega gamers were forced to switch systems, many of them sticking with Sega and preordering the GameCube while others felt betrayed and bought the PlayStation 2. Either way today was a good day for the blue blur.

Next Chapter: Super Stamper Bros.

Super Stamper Bros.
Super Stamper Bros.

Rare HQ - Twycross, United Kingdom, July 2001

It was a rainy day in England as Tim and Chris Stamper were in Tim’s office discussing their companys fate. “Microsoft is offering quite the sum of money.” Tim said. “Yes but I’d feel more comfortable with Activision. They’re a third party developer. That could really open up some possibilities. Plus what if Microsoft‘s console fails. Where does that leave us?” Chris responded. Silence befell the room for a minute. “I still can’t believe it.” Tim broke the silence. “What can’t you still believe?” Chris asked his brother. “Nintendo. We’ve been loyal partners for nearly a decade and when we ask them to purchase us they go and buy bloody Sega!” Tim’s frustration was coming out. “Now I know you’re mad, but we can pull through this.” Chris reassured his brother. “I swear the next time I see Yamauchi’s face I’m going to..” Tim was cut off by his secretary buzzing in. “Sir. Mr. Yamauchi is on the line. He wants to talk to you.” “Well speak of the devil.” Chris chuckled. Tim composed himself and picked up the phone. “Hello.” Tim could hear Japanese in the distance as Yamauchi was speaking to a translator. “Yes Mr. Yamauchi it’s good to hear from you too.” Chris could only watch on as his brother listened. “Yes we are still looking for potential buyers. We want a deal finalized by early next year. Oh really? Well I’ll talk with Chris and we’ll get back to you on a date. Goodbye.” Tim hung up the phone. “So what’s the news?” Chris inquired. “Yamauchi wants a meeting early next year.” Tim answered. “So our future is still up in the air?” Chris said. "Yes, but anyway we’re going to make sure Dinosaur Planet is the best bloody game Rare has ever put out. We’ll show Yamauchi just how much we’re really worth!”

Nintendo of America has begun renovation of a recently purchased building in the Seattle area. This building is fairly large featuring multiple floors. It’s currently unknown what the building will be used for and Nintendo has declined to comment.

-Excerpt from IGN July 28th, 2001

I'm sorry this chapter took awhile I kept going back and forth on what to do with Rare. This chapter was originally going to be Yamauchi increasing Rares funding and keeping them from being bought for the next few years but as I thought about it that didn't make too much sense to me. Why fund them only to buy them later or lose whatever gains you'd get from selling the stock you own? Either Nintendo buys them or Not. So for now Rares future is still up in the air but I figured I shoudn't waste what I wrote so here's a short bit about the Chris and Tim Stampers frustration about Nintendo buying Sega and seemingly refusing to buy Rare. I also included a little peek at something that's happening in the near future.

Next Chapter: Internet Friends Chatting and Speculating.

Last edited:
Nice chapter as you Say leave the options open...
So nintendo is centralizing all their North america staff in Seattle?

Sega x Nintendo is one of my favourite alternate history subjects. This looks very promising indeed.

It's a subject that's rather new to me, it's actually kinda difficult to even imagine in my mind for some reason. But, from this story here, I'm very much enjoying it!

Nice chapter as you Say leave the options open...
So nintendo is centralizing all their North america staff in Seattle?

Not exactly. I don't want to spoil it but it has to do with Nintendos restructuring when Yamauchi retires in 2002. I'll probably drop another hint later. Then it might be obvious what the building will house.

It's a subject that's rather new to me, it's actually kinda difficult to even imagine in my mind for some reason. But, from this story here, I'm very much enjoying it!
I understand, and that's actually why I kinda like it. I like challenges and things that stand out. Of course, it might also stem from myself just growing up playing Mario and Sonic and also just thinking, "Why can't we just get along? Why can't we just appreciate both?" I never liked the whole Mario vs Sonic thing, always preferred to imagine them just being friends.

Hello everyone I've come give a slight update on things. I just thought to let you know the next chapter isn't going to be Spaceworld. It's instead going to be about a few internet friends talking about the recent events of TTL and giving a little news on what the Gameboy Advance is doing since I don't think I've really talked about it. So expect a new update by the end of the week. I've also finally figured out what to do with Rare so I'm not dragging my feet on that decision anymore. I'll hopefully have Spaceworld finished by mid to end of June.

Hello everyone I've come give a slight update on things. I just thought to let you know the next chapter isn't going to be Spaceworld. It's instead going to be about a few internet friends talking about the recent events of TTL and giving a little news on what the Gameboy Advance is doing since I don't think I've really talked about it. So expect a new update by the end of the week. I've also finally figured out what to do with Rare so I'm not dragging my feet on that decision anymore. I'll hopefully have Spaceworld finished by mid to end of June.
Umm what influence OTL current events? The GBA will be fine, is what come later would be interesting...https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/3523843

Internet Friends Chat: July 2001
Warning
Warning: This chapter contains some swearing.

------------------

Nintendude87: Is everyone here?

Pikafan: ya

1337H@Xx: yo

Sonicfan1991: Im here

Justkaleb: I’m logged in.

Pikafan: Who’s Sonicfan1991?

Sonicfan1991: Im a new friend of Nintendude’s

Nintendude87: I met him over on GameFAQs. I decided to let him in our group.

1337H@Xx: hes a sega fanboy but after nintendo made them ther bitch he must now kneel before miyamoto

Sonicfan1991: Take that back you mofo

Justkaleb: Just ignore him when he says things like that.

Pikafan: ya he’s just a punk and Nintendude was thinking of kicking him out. Maybe if you stick around H@Xx might find himself replaced.

Nintendude87: Since the GameCube is going to have online play what games should we all get so we can play together?

1337H@Xx: ur all just jealous cuz I got the best pc & if you want a good online game quake 3 is fukin badass. half lifes really sic too

Sonicfan1991: Thanks for making me feel welcome guys. I’ll admit I’m still in shock at the news of Nintendo buying Sega. I used to watch commercials where Sega would trashtalk Nintendo fans but now I am a Nintendo fan.

Justkaleb: Irony is a cruel mistress.

Sonicfan1991: I used to play Phantasy Star Online with some friends but now that SegaNets been shut down I’m waiting for when it comes to Gamecube. Not sure how you guys feel about RPGs but I’d definitely recommend it.

Pikafan: RPGs are my thing. I’m totally down to play Phantasy Star Online and Half Life seems good too.

1337H@xx: rpgs r t00 slow 4 me but Ill get it if u guys all get it.

Justkaleb: I’ll be honest I was going to get a Dreamcast for Phantasy Star Online but then Nintendo bought Sega and I knew the Dreamcast’s days were numbered.

Nintendude87: I’m down for whatever. So on to the next topic is anyone else enjoying the GBA? I just got F-Zero Maximum Velocity yesterday.

Sonicfan1991: I got a GBA recently so I could play Mario for the first time. It’s really fun.

Pikafan: I’m holding out until a new Pokemon releases maybe there’ll be an updated GBA model by then.

1337H@Xx: sega should tell Nintendo to put a fukin light in the damn screen

Pikafan: I hope the next handheld has rechargeable battery cause I’m sick of buying batteries.

Sonicfan1991: I feel u bro batteries were always a bitch for my Game Gear. The rechargeable battery pack wasn’t very portable either.

1337H@Xx: must have sukd owning a 2nd r8 game system

Justkaleb: One more jab at the newbie or else.

1337H@Xx: else wut

Pikafan: Nintendude will send you to the shadow realm.

Nintendude87: Anyone else read about E3? What games are you interested?

Sonicfan1991: Dinosaur Planet looks amazing. I hope Nintendo buys Rare like they did Sega.

1337H@Xx: I still think that blue fox girl looks like Fox McClouds ho

Justkaleb: Rare has always been awesome they did stuff on the Super Nintendo that other systems needed addons for.

Pikafan: I’m just glad to see a new Metroid after not getting one on the N64. I’m holding out on a new Pokemon Stadium.

Nintendude87: Maybe we’ll see a new Pokemon Stadium at Spaceworld.

Sonicfan1991: I just hope an actual Mario game gets announced. Luigi’s Mansion looks cool but I want to see a real 3d Mario platformer for the Gamecube.

--------------

So this is the start of a small series where a group of friends just chat about what goes on in this timeline. We'll see them occasionally throughout this timeline and over time they'll gain new friends and see old friends leave. I thought it be a good idea to give the timeline some characters to break up all the news articles and press conferences. (and give myself a little break to just freely write instead of trying to make a formal news article or ask myself "Would Iwata really say that?").

I was also thinking about delaying the Gameboy Advance in North America so the GBA could get updated with a rechargeable battery and a lit screen and bundling Puyo Pop with it but i decided against it. In hindsight it didn't really make sense and really it's too late to alter the original GBA.

Next Chapter: Nintendo Space Worlds

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Warning: This chapter contains an inappropriate username and some swearing.

------------------

Next Chapter: Nintendo Space Worlds

You KNEW, going in that there was a problem with a username and then posted ANYWAY?

Don't do that!

Nintendo Space World Part 1 - Opening Presentation
Nintendo has always held its Space World event in Tokyo, but a week into August Nintendo announced it would host two events simultaneously one in Tokyo hosted by Sega and one in Kyoto hosted by Nintendo. This caught Japanese gamers by surprise, why would Nintendo have two events?

Nintendo Space World - Tokyo

Sega President Hideki Sato walked onto the stage with a large screen behind him. “Greetings everyone welcome to Nintendo Space World Tokyo. In a moment we should be connected.” Sato turns around to look at the large screen. The screen comes on, it’s Hiroshi Yamauchi.

“Hello Sato-san, I’m in Kyoto where Nintendo is hosting Nintendo Space World. This is our largest Nintendo Space World event ever. How is the event going in Tokyo Sato-san?”

“It’s going wonderful Yamauchi-san, I can say without a doubt that attendance is through the roof. But I think we should explain why we are hosting Nintendo Space World in two simultaneous locations.”

“Yes, to explain that further is Satoru Iwata.” Hiroshi Yamauchi walks off screen and Satoru Iwata walks on screen. “First I’d like to say hello to Sato-san and everyone in Tokyo. The advancement of technology has greatly improved our lives. As you can see I can talk with Sato-san in Tokyo while I am many kilometers away in Kyoto. Whenever new technology comes around, at Nintendo we try to think how we can use that technology to entertain people. One rather new technology is online connectivity. As some may know Nintendo has experimented with online connectivity in the past with the Super Famicom Satellaview and the Nintendo 64 DD. While they were not huge successes we believe that technology has improved to a point in which online connectivity can be not just a major success but an enjoyable experience for players. Sato-san can explain further.”

“At Sega we have also experimented with online connectivity. This little experiment started on the Sega Saturn with the launch of SegaNet. When we launched the Sega Dreamcast in 1998 we specifically designed the system with online connectivity in mind. Since the launch of the Sega Dreamcast SegaNet has grown to have over one million subscribers. In late 2000 when Nintendo and Sega entered discussion about Nintendo purchasing Sega one topic that was always mentioned in meetings was SegaNet. Perhaps Iwata-san can help to explain Nintendos point of view.”

“Certainly, we have always been interested in online connectivity at Nintendo. SegaNet is in fact one of the reasons Nintendo purchased Sega. Acquiring Sega gave us more than just some well-known game franchises and more game development teams. Sega provided for us a reliable online service for the Nintendo GameCube. As such we have made sure the Nintendo GameCube was ready for online connectivity right out of the box. We have included a broadband modem built into the Nintendo GameCube. We are also releasing a 56k modem for those who may not yet have broadband, but please be aware that certain titles will not be compatible with the 56k modem. Sato-san can explain the details of the Nintendo Gamecubes online service.”

“Yes, we have vastly improved SegaNet starting with a new name. The Nintendo GameCubes online service is officially named Nintendo Netcast. If you used SegaNet in the past you will have to make a new account but you will have a universal username across all online games. Second is the friend list, you can add friends to your friends list and play directly with them competitively or cooperatively. You can add friends to your friend list with a special code your account has called a friend code. Finally in the past we have charged players a monthly fee for SegaNet but after much discussion with Nintendo we are happy to announce that Nintendo Netcast will be completely free of charge. We also have a new logo that will be used in all regions.
upload_2019-8-14_22-38-53.png

This new logo is of a spiraling galaxy and is inspired by the Sega Dreamcast logo. You may have even noticed that it shares a similar name to the Dreamcast. Imagine that the Nintendo GameCube is like a spaceship and Nintendo Netcast is the warp drive that connects you to infinite possibilities of entertainment. Nintendo Netcast is a wonderful experience and you can experience Nintendo Netcast for yourself right here. Our demos at both Kyoto and Tokyo are online and ready to connect you to players. Oh, and one more thing. We are planning to bring Nintendo Netcast to the Gameboy Advance. We will have more details on this in the future. That’s all I have for you now so I’ll give the floor back to Iwata-san.”

“Thank you Sato-san. We have many games to present to you today. So let’s get right to it.” The screen fades to black to start a trailer.

Mario is seen in a grassy field jumping on goombas before the scene cuts to fast paced trees and plants seemingly fly by with the sound of fast paced footsteps. The scene cuts back to Mario when suddenly a blue blur passes by him sending him flying. “Sonics the name, Speeds my Game!” Live and Learn starts playing.

Sonic the Hedgehog joins the Fight!

Gameplay of Sonic fighting Mario. “WHY YOU CAN HARDLY SWALLOW!”

More gameplay of Sonic fighting characters. “YOUR FEARS AND PAIN!”

Mario and Sonic are fighting enemies in a grassy field. “WHEN YOU CAN’T HELP BUT FOLLOW!”

Mario and Sonic pose together. “LIVE AND LEARN! YA YA YA YA YAAA!” The music fades.

Sonic wags his finger at the audience before speeding off.

Super Smash Bros. Melee

The screen fades to black.

Aux Call

Press Select

Colonel: Snake! Sorry to bother you, but I’ve got big news!

Snake: What? Not another absurd objective I hope.

Colonel: Are you familiar with Super Smash Bros.?

Snake: Ah… That Nintendo thing…

Colonel: Yes. Actually, we’ve received an invitation for you to join. Snake, are you up for it?

Snake: ….

Colonel: Where are you right now anyway?

Snake: Reconnaissance

The scene cuts to a box out in a field.

Colonel: Reconnaissance?! Of what kind?!

The camera zooms out revealing Mario, Sonic, Link, and Kirby fighting each other.

Snake: Knowing your enemy is the quickest path to victory.

Snake reveals himself from the box. Mario, Link, Sonic and Kirby all stare in surprise.

Snake joins the Fight!

“Showtime!”

Coming Summer 2002

The crowd goes wild as the screen goes back to displaying Iwata. “We are proud to announce that Sonic the Hedgehog and Metal Gear Solid’s Solid Snake are both joining the fight in Super Smash Bros Melee and we are also proud to announce that Super Smash Brothers Melee will feature online play.” The crowd goes from wild to absolutely roaring with excitement. “Well Sato-san I think it’s time we gave the stage to someone else.”

“Your right Iwata-san, allow me to introduce Yuji Naka of Sega and Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo.”

Hideki Sato leaves the stage and Satoru Iwata leaves the screen. Yuji Naka walks on stage and Shigeru Miyamoto comes on screen.

“Hello Naka-san. How are things in Tokyo?”

“Things are great. How are things on Kyoto?”

“Things are excellent. I think we’re ready to show the newest Mario game.”

“Really, I haven’t seen it yet so I’m just as excited as the audience.”

“Alright then let’s-a go.” Miyamoto fades from the screen.

The Nintendo Gamecube logo flashes on screen “It’s a-me Mario!”

The logo fades out to Mario wearing a strange device on his back. Mario is seen jumping around a tropical town doing wall kicks, flips and kicking a soccer ball.

Mario is seen on a flagpole overlooking the town as the screen fades out.

Summer 2002

The crowd cheers as Miyamoto starts talking “What did you think of that Naka-san?”

“It looks great, it makes me want to go to the beach.”

“I must apologize that Mario’s next big adventure will not be ready for the Nintendo GameCubes launch.”

“Don’t worry Miyamoto-san, Sonic has you covered.” Miyamoto laughs. “Thank you Naka-san. Why don’t you show off something now.”

“Alright, How about a look at the new and improved Phantasy Star Online.” The screen fades to black.

Phantasy Star Online

Dramatic music starts up as the camera zooms in on a planet and onto the vast ocean. A woman starts singing as beautiful scenery starts to roll over.

Innumerable stars

Won't tell us where to go

It's a long long run

To the place in the sun

With hopes and dreams

Our ship will cross the sea

To the whole new world

The camera cuts to showing off various classes in battle.

Shining like a pearl

The whole new world

The camera cuts to beautiful shot of scenic mountains at night.

Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II

The trailer ends as Miyamoto comes back on screen.

“Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II features nearly an entire sequel worth of content and you can play it on the show floor today. While playing Phantasy Star Online you will be connected to SegaNet. You might be playing with the person right next to you or you could be playing with someone in Kyoto.”

“That looks like a lot of fun Naka-san. I can’t wait to play it for myself. Anyway we have a lot more games to show off so how about a video of some of the games we have in store.”

A video plays featuring games that have been already announced such as Luigi’s Mansion, Wave Race Blue Storm, NBA 2K1, Pikmin, Shenmue, Mario Kart, NFL 2K1, Eternal Darkness, Bomberman Online, Dinosaur Planet.

“Alright Miyamoto-san I think we should let Iwata-san and Sato-san finish the presentation.”

“Wait! Naka-san I have one last thing to show.”

“Oh Really, I’m excited. What is it.”

“I think it would be better to show you.” Miyamoto fades from the screen.

A large door is shown loud banging is hear as something is on the other side. A large pig creature bursts from the door staring down someone behind camera. It’s Link who draws a sword. Link is noticeably designed to be cartoony.

The Legend of Zelda

The Zelda theme plays as some brief gameplay shows Link fighting monsters and sneaking around. One scene depicts Link stabbing a moblin in the butt, the moblin cartoonishly winces in pain and starts jumping up in down with his hands on his butt. A horde of moblins comes from out the door. Link’s eyes widen in shock and he starts to run away. Link smiles as he sees a way out. Link jumps from a cliff and graps a chandelier. The moblins cartoonishly walk off the cliff before realizing there is no ground below them. The moblins cartoonishly run for the Cliffside before falling into the chasm. Link hangs from the chandelier and winks at the audience.

The screen fades to black and Miyamoto comes back on screen. The crowd cheered but it wasn’t very loud.

“We plan to release the new legend of zelda by next year. What did you think Naka-san?”

“I have definitely never seen a Zelda game quite like this one Miymoto-san. I look forward to it.”

Miyamoto laughs “Alright, let’s go back to Iwata-san and Sato-san to finish the presentation.”

Miyamoto walks off screen and Yuji Naka walks off stage, Hideki Sato comes back on stage and Satoru Iwata comes back on screen.

“I hope everyone enjoyed our short presentation before we open the booths. While we have had a lot of fun planning this event I must regrettably inform you that this will be the last Space World event. However I think we really went out with a bang. Don’t you think so Sato-san?”

“Yes, we at Sega have really had fun hosting Space World in Tokyo. We’re sad that our first Space World will also be our last. This concludes our brief presentation.” Iwata fades from the screen and Hideki Sato walks off stage.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So I would've posted this earlier but I got absorbed in a Persona 5 Let's Play and I can't stop watching. I made a logo for Nintendo Netcast. On top of being inspired by the Sega Dreamcast logo, the Nintendo Netcast logo uses all three colors that the Sega Dreamcast logo used. Next chapter is a Nintendo Power Article that covers Space World in a bit more depth, then finally will be the launch of the GameCube.

Next Chapter: Nintendo Space World Part 2 - Nintendo Power Article

So I would've posted this earlier but I got absorbed in a Persona 5 Let's Play and I can't stop watching. I made a logo for Nintendo Netcast. On top of being inspired by the Sega Dreamcast logo, the Nintendo Netcast logo uses all three colors that the Sega Dreamcast logo used. Next chapter is a Nintendo Power Article that covers Space World in a bit more depth, then finally will be the launch of the GameCube.

Next Chapter: Nintendo Space World Part 2 - Nintendo Power Article
Amazing logo, could use more professionalism but the idea is nice and work nice with sega space theme, and Woah, thanks smash delay, Snake got him early, terrific suprise, amazing work so far buddy