BURNISHED ROWS OF STEEL: A History of the Great War (Foreward)

This is very unfortunate. However overzealous his arguments were from time to time I always found his comments on my TL very helpful (if damn challenging at times). He was also quick to share sources and discuss questions we both might have about our TLs.

Spengler

Banned
I was wondering but is the conflict in any way affecting the intervention in Dominica anyway?
Well I got an answer to this somewhere else.
"

Spain was in the middle of a bloody, costly, and ultimately failed four-year-long effort to conquer and reintegrate the Dominican Republic into the Spanish Empire; they'd been invited back in by the Dominican caudillo of the day, Pedro Santana, that at the high point included some 30,000 Spanish regulars, volunteers from Cuba and Puerto Rico, and 12,000 Dominican royalists, as well as a naval force of as many as 22 warships. This at a time when the Dominican population was estimated at between 200,000 and 300,000.

Ultimately, the Spanish withdrew after losing some 18,000 men in the space of roughly 52 months, while the Dominican rebels only lost 4,000 - which is another example of how poorly "European regulars" fared in expeditionary warfare in the Western Hemisphere in the 1860s, along with the French defeat in Mexico - which cost them 10,000 French, 3,000 European mercenaries, and 20,000 Mexican royalists."

Well I got an answer to this somewhere else.
"

Spain was in the middle of a bloody, costly, and ultimately failed four-year-long effort to conquer and reintegrate the Dominican Republic into the Spanish Empire; they'd been invited back in by the Dominican caudillo of the day, Pedro Santana, that at the high point included some 30,000 Spanish regulars, volunteers from Cuba and Puerto Rico, and 12,000 Dominican royalists, as well as a naval force of as many as 22 warships. This at a time when the Dominican population was estimated at between 200,000 and 300,000.

Ultimately, the Spanish withdrew after losing some 18,000 men in the space of roughly 52 months, while the Dominican rebels only lost 4,000 - which is another example of how poorly "European regulars" fared in expeditionary warfare in the Western Hemisphere in the 1860s, along with the French defeat in Mexico - which cost them 10,000 French, 3,000 European mercenaries, and 20,000 Mexican royalists."

The Caribbean was the graveyard of many a European army... Malaria and Yellow Fever are no joke

In other news, TFSmith121 passed on a thank you for all the kind words of support for his writing and other matters from those who were supportive

Wow. I just realized that TFSmith got booted, and that's why this thread has died (and been resurrected at NavWeaps).

A shame - this was one of the best timelines I've seen here, and TFSmith one of the most knowledgeable posters, if....assertive in his beliefs, which is what I gather finally got him the ban. I shall miss his contributions.