Bumping My Own Thread from 6 Months Ago?

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by oshron, May 2, 2019.

1. oshron Emperor of Rplegacy

so some of you may know about my League of Extraordinary Gentlemen-based crossover project, (this thread) and that i haven't posted there since last year, equating to almost six months at this point. that's mainly because i've been trying to fill out a writing pad with notes and ideas for all my various projects before posting there again and it just happens to have taken a very long time to do so :p since there's such a huge gap between posts there, though, i wanted to ask if it would genuinely be okay to bump my own thread for this or if i should just start a new one. that might involve bumping the thread anyway just so that i can direct everyone following it to the new one, but--like i said--i wanted to ask first. this question would, of course, be useful to everyone else, too.

2. Jasen777 AOC Twitter Repost Bot Donor

Continuing your own timelines or stories is fine (your project is that?)

You shouldn't just bump by going "please read" or something, but continuing is fine.

chankljp likes this.
  3. oshron Emperor of Rplegacy

it's more a vague discussion--no proper narrative to it just yet :p

4. nbcman Donor

What the warning message says at the bottom of older threads is:

Do not reply to old threads unless you are continuing your own timeline

I'd say if you are continuing discussion on your own project / timeline, you would be fine as the OP.

chankljp likes this.
  5. oshron Emperor of Rplegacy

normally i wouldn't take issue with it because, usually, i'm able to bump it before it gets to the point where the warning post occurs; it's more because of the legit gap of almost half a year between posts for what i would be posting now that gives me cause for concern even considering that it is my own thread and it hasn't been too unreasonable a span of time considering what it is--it's not like i'm necroing a thread from several years ago (and it'll still be anywhere from a few days to a week or two before i'm actually ready to make that post--i'm on the last few pages of my notepad)

6. FriendlyGhost Haunting history for 45+ yrs

It's perfectly within the rules for the OP (you, in this case) to 'bump' your own thread at any time.

There was a question recently, "I know this site has a strict policy against replying to timelines that have been inactive for more than 1 year. I would like to know why they still make it possible complete with that checkbox. Do they just want to see who is willing to follow the rules? Why not just close out old threads to new comments?" (here). This was the answer from CalBear:
    So you're fine.

Aloha and Ferd42 like this.
  7. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

As long as you're not just going to post a single sentence asking people to reply, you should be fine. :)

Zagan likes this.
  8. Aloha Well-Known Member

So that's why it gives you the option to post on an old thread when it said that you're not allowed to do that? That's why threads got locked when I bumped them even though it gave me an option to post on them? It couldn't just say that only the OP can bump it? Why the fuck couldn't it just say that other members cannot reply to a thread after 6 months unless the OP bumps it?

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 2:41 PM
  9. oshron Emperor of Rplegacy

the idea is probably that anyone is allowed to bump a thread but they obviously need to have some proper input rather than a snarky one-liner or a no-substance comment, appreciative or otherwise, and it would obviously be in poor taste to bump a thread literally from years ago where half the people in it, including the one you're replying to, have been banned in the intervening period

incidentally, i decided to cheat and simply tore out the last page on that notepad after completely filling the previous one to get that job done faster :p so i'm now on the arduous task of transcribing those notes to a Word doc. every. single. one. out of something like a hundred pages. double-sided XD

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Aloha likes this.