Bullfighting Legal in the United States

Have selective breeding create a breed of midget cows that have males lacking horns, and have PETA butterflied away.

That's the way that doesn't involve war.

NothingNow

Banned
Convince Rednecks it's better than NASCAR or Football(American), they convince their Legislators It's a good Idea.

It's not animal cruelty if it's a fair fight or, that's what everyone says about Gator hunting around here. Might be able to legalize it here, because of that. Besides isn't it better than it being in a feed lot?

BTW Gator hunting is a fair fight. Think about it: a few drunken rednecks with harpoons and spotlights on an aluminum skiff at 3am vs. a 10 foot (3m) long armored Killing machine that takes a rather dim view of most pistol ammunition? Guns aren't allowed for good reason. You can shoot it after you catch it though.

How can bullfighting be legal in the United States?
Let the fighting be fair, mano a mano, I mean ONE man against bull. And if the bull kills the matador, so be it, the bull gets credit (and fame of course).
I can almost see the people crowded to see fighting against brave/stupid matador and "Belsebub", a bull with 66 kills. Hey, I may go to see myself...

Goldstein

Banned
Ok, you help us more than just to get Florida back? :p

The priority then was to get a revenge for the Seven Years War, mining the British presence in America and the Med, but we also gave gold, weapons and ammunition to the revolutionaries. So yes, we did more than that. Hence, if bullfighting is illegal un the States, there must be another reason...

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
I know fights between bulls and grizzly bears were quite popular in the West Coast in days gone by.

Hapsburg

Banned
The priority then was to get a revenge for the Seven Years War, mining the British presence in America and the Med, but we also gave gold, weapons and ammunition to the revolutionaries. So yes, we did more than that. Hence, if bullfighting is illegal in the States, there must be another reason...

Well, regardless of who helped us, the mainstream of American culture, in the early days of the US, was British in all but name. With the exception of the few places, like upstate New York and the back-corners of the Pennsylvania. Bull-fighting simply was not a British, and thus American, institution or cultural force. It's illegal because it's never really been legal, or extant here, in the first place.

Now, if you had bullfights become common in Mexico, Las Californias, and Texas, you could possibly see it becoming a cultural tradition for the region; if you have the annexation of the Southwest to the United States go according to OTL, and even moreso (northern Mexico annexed, perhaps?), one might see that tradition carry over to the expanding United States. Thus, it might remain legal in the Southwest.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Well, regardless of who helped us, the mainstream of American culture, in the early days of the US, was British in all but name. With the exception of the few places, like upstate New York and the back-corners of the Pennsylvania. Bull-fighting simply was not a British, and thus American, institution or cultural force. It's illegal because it's never really been legal, or extant here, in the first place.

I think the law actually works the other way. Considering that at some point dog-fighting, bear-baiting, cock-fighting etc would all have been legal, there would have been a bill that made them all illegal, and in so doing also covered bull fighting

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Bullfighting *is* legal in the United States. It is harming or killing the bull what is illegal. IIRC, there is an empresario who has made several bullfighting shows in Las Vegas using banderillas that do not harm the animal. I also wonder if portuguese bullfighting, where the bull is not killed, and where a team of 6 fighters wrestle the bull, would be legal.

Of course, not killing the bull is missing the entire point of why it is done. See, despite what you think, bullfighting is not a sport. It is a ritualized slaughter: the bull is there to die, and the matador is only an overwrought slaughterhouse worker. Bullfighting has its origins in ancient traditions predating the Reconquista where the bull was seen as an animal too noble to be slaughtered without giving it a chance to go down fighting. You cannot understand it without its proper cultural context, which is lacking in the United States. The only way I can imagine bullfighting being legal in the US, is with an alternate colonization of the Americas where Spain focuses in the north.
Let the fighting be fair, mano a mano, I mean ONE man against bull.

Yes, but the man gets two swords. :p

Hapsburg

Banned
Let the fighting be fair, mano a mano, I mean ONE man against bull. And if the bull kills the matador, so be it, the bull gets credit (and fame of course).
Go with Portuguese Rules bullfighting, then. The bull is not maimed at all prior to the fight, and if it wins, it gets to live to fight another day. If the matador dies, it's an accepted occupational hazard.

I think the law actually works the other way. Considering that at some point dog-fighting, bear-baiting, cock-fighting etc would all have been legal, there would have been a bill that made them all illegal, and in so doing also covered bull fighting
Well, yes, "Animal Cruelty" laws would have illegalised all those. Or least to some extent. But my point was that bullfighting was never big in the US, except as an exotic attraction. It's not like it was a national tradition a la Spain.

NothingNow

Banned
I can almost see the people crowded to see fighting against brave/stupid matador and "Belsebub", a bull with 66 kills. Hey, I may go to see myself...
Make it fairer, Time-limited bull fights maybe? Last man standing or least injured when time is called wins.

Oh, Idea for POD: More Spanish settlers living in the Mexican Cession and Texas. Hopefully then Rodeos would have Bull fighting as an event, thus bull fighting becomes a "traditional sport" for the Foolhardy and Suicidal.

Rodeo is a sport which is sort of the same so I think that is where we should start. Or perhaps in somewhere along the trail where the cattle is brought from Texas to the meat eaters back east. The ability to kill a bull is pretty useful in a slaughterhouse for example.

Do you mean the ARW? Because we helped you, together with France! Hay que ver, how little gratitude... :p

Please forgive my ignorance, I learned all I know about the revolution in american elementary school.

the description of portugese bull fighting sounds very similar to something they do at rodeos up here on the montana Hi-Line.

so it seems to me that all you have to do is make bullfighting of one sort or another into a cowboy tradition, that's not hard to do, and then it becomes a widespread thing west of the mississippi.

Portuguese bullfighting is legal in the United States. There are Portuguese bullfights at a lot of the Portuguese festas in California's Central Valley. My fiancee's brother went to one a couple weeks ago in Livingston, CA. The legal regulation is that they must be a part of a religious observation...which are not hard for the Catholic Azoreans who make up about 90% of the Portuguese-American population around here to come up with.

A man from one of the towns around here (maybe Easton?) invented a velcro patch that makes it possible to affix things to the bull without actually piercing him, which opens up more legal activites.

I haven't had any opportunity to go to one, but the Portuguese bullfights that they have around here certainly seem like interesting events.