Building an Earth-like World Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as in comparison to our land masses, this world is flipped, as more of the southern hemisphere is dominated by landmass and the northern hemisphere mostly by water. I'll look more into the ramifications of this later.

As far as surface currents, they are always split by the equator, where there is the warmest water. In the northern hemisphere, the currents turn clockwise, and in the south, counterclockwise. At the equator, there is a an 'Equitorial Counter-current, that spins counterclockwise around the earth, or from left to right on a traditional map. There is also an 'Antarctic Circumpolar Current' that spins the same way. Considering that there is landmass in the way, I don't think the latter will be in effect in this world.

This map is my interpretation of the currents in this world. Also, currents should have come before biomes because the temperature of the water affects the precipitation and the rainfall, especially on the coast. I would suggest an elevation map (if we don't already have one), just to double check the biomes. I don't want to reverse the progress already made.

Earth-like Currents.PNG

As far as in comparison to our land masses, this world is flipped, as more of the southern hemisphere is dominated by landmass and the northern hemisphere mostly by water. I'll look more into the ramifications of this later.

As far as surface currents, they are always split by the equator, where there is the warmest water. In the northern hemisphere, the currents turn clockwise, and in the south, counterclockwise. At the equator, there is a an 'Equitorial Counter-current, that spins counterclockwise around the earth, or from left to right on a traditional map. There is also an 'Antarctic Circumpolar Current' that spins the same way. Considering that there is landmass in the way, I don't think the latter will be in effect in this world.

This map is my interpretation of the currents in this world. Also, currents should have come before biomes because the temperature of the water affects the precipitation and the rainfall, especially on the coast. I would suggest an elevation map (if we don't already have one), just to double check the biomes. I don't want to reverse the progress already made.

The thing is that we already have currents

attachment.php

and elevations.

El2_elevation.png

We are working on the flora and fauna right now :eek: The thing I'm writing about lichen forests is taking longer than I expected, but it's treading on. And I'm also completing a short classification of Dinosauria on this world.

Any other interesting species? We know that bugs would be quite large here due to more plants/algae = more oxigen. And also, I'm open to suggestions about what could thrive in cacti forests.

I'd say small, rugged rodent-like creatures. they can use the cacti as protection, and perhaps have teeth like beavers to burrow into them and not get pricked.

Though, I also imagine some sort of bat or owl like creature to counter them.

Zillian

Gone Fishin'
This map projects sound exciting!
I wish to join up but for the culture/civilistrations development part

Seriously guys, how do you make the continents look so pretty, and the mountains and all that look so... natural? Is there a particular program you use?

Seriously guys, how do you make the continents look so pretty, and the mountains and all that look so... natural? Is there a particular program you use?

For every single map I made, just paint. Literally free hand rough shapes and then fixing everything to look real pretty one pixel at a time.

Question that unintentionally acts as a bump: about what is the land to water ratio? Like how on our Earth, it's about 70% percent water. Because this looks like it'd be a bit more water, but it could also just be the way it's arranged that makes it look that way.

Alright, allow me to breath new life into this project. Can somebody find me a biome and topography map of this world? I'd appreciate it very much.

The Crops and Domesticates of Our New World, Part 1: New World Crops and Domesticates

After doing some research on the wild ancestors of numerous crops and domesticates, I decided to make a write up about the locations where certain crops and domesticates could be found and domesticated. Tell me what you think.

Maize: Maize was originally domesticated from teosinte in the highlands of Central Mexico around 2,300 - 2,200 BCE. The area most similar to the highlands of Mexico seems to be the highlands of the subcontinent northwest of the southeastern continent. I can visualize maize being diffused from the subcontinent to the southeastern continent and beyond, however, the arid conditions on the island in the west might inhibit the western spread of maize.

Little barley: Hordeum pusillum or little barley was once an important component of the Eastern Agricultural Complex before being replaced by maize as a staple crop. Little barley grows in a variety of areas including along marshes, grasslands, and deserts. The most suitable environment for little barley would be the southern lake lands and the surrounding grasslands, which could potentially be home to a culture similar to the mound builders. I expect little barley to be replaced as soon as maize spreads out of the northwestern subcontinent.

Quinoa: Quinoa is a pseudocereal that was commonly grown in the Andes by the numerous cultures that inhabit it. Similar species were domesticated by the Eastern Agricultural Complex, (Chenopodium berlandieri) and (Chenopodium album). Quinoa itself will probably be found in the northern mountain range of the southeastern continent and the two other species will be found to south in the lake lands. Off note here, but these crops will create an interesting scenario by having the southeastern continent resemble the Americas when it comes to crop diversity and cultures. The two similar species to Quinoa and little barley will make the lake lands the center of a marsh based civilization.

Maygrass: Maygrass was another component of the Eastern Agricultural Complex in OTL. Maygrass prefers growing in marshy grasslands, so the border between the lake lands and the surrounding grasslands will be the location of their domestication.

More to come, stay tuned. Thoughts?

Last edited:
The Crops and Domesticates of Our New World, Part 1: New World Crops and Domesticates

After doing some research on the wild ancestors of numerous crops and domesticates, I decided to make a write up about the locations where certain crops and domesticates could be found and domesticated. Tell me what you think.

Maize: Maize was originally domesticated from teosinte in the highlands of Central Mexico around 2,300 - 2,200 BCE. The area most similar to the highlands of Mexico seems to be the highlands of the subcontinent northwest of the southeastern continent. I can visualize maize being diffused from the subcontinent to the southeastern continent and beyond, however, the arid conditions on the island in the west might inhibit the western spread of maize.

Little barley: Hordeum pusillum or little barley was once an important component of the Eastern Agricultural Complex before being replaced by maize as a staple crop. Little barley grows in a variety of areas including along marshes, grasslands, and deserts. The most suitable environment for little barley would be the southern lake lands and the surrounding grasslands, which could potentially be home to a culture similar to the mound builders. I expect little barley to be replaced as soon as maize spreads out of the northwestern subcontinent.

Quinoa: Quinoa is a pseudocereal that was commonly grown in the Andes by the numerous cultures that inhabit it. Similar species were domesticated by the Eastern Agricultural Complex, (Chenopodium berlandieri) and (Chenopodium album). Quinoa itself will probably be found in the northern mountain range of the southeastern continent and the two other species will be found to south in the lake lands. Off note here, but these crops will create an interesting scenario by having the southeastern continent resemble the Americas when it comes to crop diversity and cultures. The two similar species to Quinoa and little barley will make the lake lands the center of a marsh based civilization.

Maygrass: Maygrass was another component of the Eastern Agricultural Complex in OTL. Maygrass prefers growing in marshy grasslands, so the border between the lake lands and the surrounding grasslands will be the location of their domestication.

More to come, stay tuned. Thoughts?

Cool. I think that once the food is fleshed out work should begin in the start if civilization

Ok, I'm starting to work again in this (the Hard Sci-fi world will get a revival in the following weeks too!)

Here's a report on Dinosaurs on this world. The Sapient Dinosaurs details are redacted, becuase they should be created with input from everyone. Yet I gave them domestic animals (Plainclaws and Pigzards, probably Fangbirds too). And as last time, names in italics are temporary creature names, while those in asteriks are place-placeholders :p

Dinosauria:

5359304_orig.jpg

The Good Ol' Days.

To early zoologists, animals such as fangbirds, pigzards and longnecks had nothing in common with each other, much less with birds. It is only recently that biologists have discovered that they all have more in common with each other than with any other animals, and are the proud remmants of the Dinosauria, a former clade that included some of the largest animals to ever walk *planet name*. While Dinosauria were for a long time the largest and most diverse clade of land animals, during the *Cretaceous extinction event* most of them went extinct. Many of their niches were taken over by birds (that technically are dinosuars) and mammals. Nevertheless, many survived and thrived. In fact, it took a long time for natural historians and biologists to realize that dinosaurs were still walking among us...
(full story once we have the cultures defined...)

Fangbirds:
Archeopteryx.jpg

Blue Terror Flying Fang, one of the species of Fangbirds on the *Southern Savannas*

Fangbirds are amongst the most majestic and widely know predators of the *Central Continent*. These birds are the descendants of the primitive linage that gave origin to the Plainclaws, modern birds and many others. Apparently the first fangbirds lived in trees had four wings (in their legs and forearms) but during the course of evolution, some refined the ability to fly and had beaks (becoming the 'birds' or beaked dinosauria) and others came back to land, evolving into land predators. There is still a basal example: the Fourwing in the *west coast* of the *Central Continent* still retains the characteristical four wings of its antecestors, and prefers to glide across the Great Mangrooves instead of flying. It is an unique genus, and is considered a living fossil.

Most 'modern' fangbirds, however are fully capable of flying. They can reach high speeds when nosediving (up to 300 km/h) and are adapted to a life in the air, with light bones and huge pectoral muscles. However, they can also walk in land, and some like the Greater Stalker can be one meter long and very tall. It climbs to large trees and stalks its prey: when a prey approaches, it jumps and uses its claws to attack the neck of the prey, until the prey dies from blood loss. A few species have a more proactive aproach, hunting birds and tree-climbing species on the Great Mangrooves.

There are many wild species of Flying Fangs. But the Domestic Flying Fang is probably the most known. Beloved for its intelligence, faithfullness and flying skills, the Domestic Flying Fang has been the companion of hunters and warriors for centuries. The wild Flying Fang has a reddish/brown coloration, has a wingspan of one meter and is a opportunist predator, but artificial selection has created dozens of varieties in a true rainbow of color, shape, sizes and behavior. The Flying Fang has been used to hunt in the art of Falconry for centuries. In fact, its domestication has displaced many species, since the efficient predators often make an easy meal of other species when introduced to new habitats. Not matter the enviromental consequences, there is no denying that the Flying Fangs have a profound effect in the culture of the *Central Continent* and beyond, often beign featured in art, heraldry and figures of speech.

Fangchickens:

1818-sinosauropteryx-prima.jpg

Tropical Fangchickens, on the forest floor.

Fangchickens are small predators living in the *Central Continent* and *Western-Central Continent*, with many other isolated species. There are many theories about their philogeny, with some scientists thinking they come from the basal Dinosauria lineage, and others seeing them as derived birds without beaks. Recent discoveries have pointed out that they, in fact, have many different origins, and so the name Fangchicken is just a layman's term to cover many genera with wildly different origins.

Most Fangchickens are small, and they lack the distinctive foot claws of the Plainclaws and have lost almost completely the ability to fly. Their teeth are surprisingly sharp, and their preferred tactic is to kill instantly their prey and shallow it whole. Fangchickens species are adapted to both forest floors and plains, and while most have dull camouflage colorations, a few like the Imperial Fangchicken have beautiful multicolored feathers that they use for mating displays. Many have taken to the rivers and lakes, with long necks to hunt fish and hard teeth to break shells. The Shore Fangchicken lives a semiaquatic life, making its nests between the Great Mangroves and swimming great distances into the seas to eat fish. The domestic breeds of Fangchickens are selected to be less agressive and with less sharp teeth. Their meat tastes like... well, chicken.

Plainclaws:
Velociraptor_by_dustdevil.jpg

A wild Common Plainclaw looking for prey

Plainclaws are the largest predators of the *Western-Central Continent* and their clade includes the only species of Dinosauria to have evolved sapience, in the form of [REDACTED]

Apart from the Sapient Dinosaurs, the plainclaws include many other smaller and larger species. The three-meter tall Clawterror is a vision of days millions of years past for some. Covered in red and white feathers, and having a large head and muscles to grab their prey, and the deadly feet claws of all Plainclaws to rip it to tears. The Clawterror hunts mammals and pigzards, and is a solitary animal, having large territories occupied by a female, her cubs and sometimes a handful of young males. While it seldom attacks people, it features promenently in the *Western-Central Continent* culture, and many visitors from across the seas were surprised to see such a majestic predator, accostumed to mammals being the largest ones.

The Common Plainclaw is a minor predator that lives in small packs. While in the wild they are agressive and shy, they have been domesticated from time inmemmorial by Sapient Dinosaurs, and they serve as herders of Pigzards, guard animals, general company and many other uses. The breeds of Plainclaws are many, and they are loyal and trusted companions. Many were initially used as hunters, and they can track prey (even other people) for long distances and kill very efficiently. In the other hands, other breeds are raised to have beautiful feathers and serve as company. There are even Plainclaws that retain young characters into adulthood, basically bred to be 'cute' (to Sapient Dinosaurs, at least)

Birds:
penguins900x600.jpg

Imperial Penguins of the *Southern Continent Peninsula*. Beaked birds have adapted to an endless number of niches.

Birds are the most diverse linage of land vertebrates (OOC: like OTL) and a full scope of their diversity is outside this work. They descend from the basal lineage of Fangbirds, Plainclaws and Fangchickens, but the exact relations between them are maddingly confusing to anyone not involved in paleontology. The defining characteristic of birds is the beak: it has allowed them to colonize niches that their various other 'fanged' relatives could not.

Longnecks:
latest

A rare image of Longnecks outside the water.

In the rivers of the *Easternmost contient* and the swamps that surround the *Crater Sea* a huge presence looms. The Longnecks were tought to be a legend for many people outside their lands, until they finally meeted one in person. Reaching 6 meters long, they are imposing creatures, but they seldom leave the water. Apparently they are the last remmants of clades of gigantic dinosauria, once the largest land animals on *Planet's name*. But despite their terryfing size and aspect, they are peaceful herbivores, who like nothing else than to lie in the mud and take sunbaths. They are social in the sense of crocodiles; they take sunbaths together and peacefully but have few other interactions except during mating time. While their reputation as gentle giants is well known, as any explorer who has observed them can testify, they are extremely dangerous when threathened, often stomping their would-be attackers to death.

Longnecks were once classified with crocodiles or pigzards, but recent discoveries have put them as distant cousins of the bird-like dinosauria, thus further confusing scientists. The tiny feather cover on hatchlings is proof of their common ancestry. Their water based life appears to be a recent adaptation: fossil longnecks were fully terrestrial.

Pigzards:
tumblr_mp743hHSy51snnhngo1_500.jpg

Pigzards scouting the forest floor.

Pigzards defied all attempts of classification until recently. They had scales like Longnecks, but feathers on their tails like Fangchickens. They have a beak like birds, but they are (obviously) incapable of flight. And yet their hip is very similar to the ones found on birds!. It was only recently that they were discovered to be the last of the Bird Hipped Dinosaurs, a lineage of Dinosauria that ironically, is the farthest removed from modern birds. Yet they do have feathers, hinting at a common ancestry.

The esoteric details of classification are no matter for these though critters. The various species living in the *Southwestern Seas* islands eat everything, live everywhere and are prey to everyone. The different species vary in color, and most importantly in the shape of the beak, allowing them to eat the different seeds, fruits and grasses of the islands. The Fungizards are the smallest, and are capable of tolerate the toxins of the Lichen Forests to live there. Their meat is notoriously toxic. The largest are the Yakzards, who live in the Cacti Forests of the *Southern Continent Peninsula*. They are completely covered by feathers to resist the harsh winters of the south, and their skin is though to resist any accidental encounter with cacti thorns.

Pigzards are notoriously easy to herd: with the help of domestic animals such as plainclaws or dogs they can be cowed into herds. However, they are noisy and smelly. To humans their meat is often dry, but to the Sapient Dinosaurs, they are the oldest species to be domesticated and herded, and so they are a vital part of the *Western Central Continent* culture and diet. Centuries of artificial selection have created many varieties of Pigzards, but the main domesticated varieties have often overrun the ones in the islands.

Last edited:
Nice update.
May I suggest going with cock/hen, or even fowl, rather than chicken, since it's the older term.
Linguistically at least.
Fang is also linguistically odd, since it's a shortening of fangtooth meaning grasping tooth.
Perhaps something like teethen or toothed or tusken since it's the first thing that may be noticed as different from normal fowl?

Nice update.
May I suggest going with cock/hen, or even fowl, rather than chicken, since it's the older term.
Linguistically at least.
Fang is also linguistically odd, since it's a shortening of fangtooth meaning grasping tooth.
Perhaps something like teethen or toothed or tusken since it's the first thing that may be noticed as different from normal fowl?

Well, Teethen sounds better than Fangchicken, but all are placeholder names until we have languages figured out.

Maybe we should start making up religions and general cultures for our cultural cradles?

Orsino

Banned
I'd like to suggest gigantopithecus fulfilling a panda-like niche.

Although that said, I can't see any bamboo forest on the map, despite it being included in the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.