Build a world starting with tectonic plates—Oreios

So, is this world inhabited by humans or something else? We already have humans on Tellurus so it might be fun to design a new species for this world.

Made an equirectangular version of the map for use on globes.
tectonicworldeq.png

I would say something approximating humans if only in sociologists/behaviors so we can generate feasible cultures in different areas of the world, once topography, climates, biomes, and weather patterns emerge.

I would say something approximating humans if only in sociologists/behaviors so we can generate feasible cultures in different areas of the world, once topography, climates, biomes, and weather patterns emerge.
Fair enough, makes sense. It's kinda fun to take OTL historic ethnic groups and apply them to alternate worlds. That being said, @Eh9198 , can we have more info on the planetary system? I know Fox Fire put in a mega-gas giant, but anything beyond that?

Fair enough, makes sense. It's kinda fun to take OTL historic ethnic groups and apply them to alternate worlds. That being said, @Eh9198 , can we have more info on the planetary system? I know Fox Fire put in a mega-gas giant, but anything beyond that?

I honestly never thought far enough ahead regarding planetary systems, etc. I believe there was a molten planet close to the star as well. I would invite anyone to go crazy on the other planets in the system!

You are using an outdated map, though the continent you are working on has suffered no changes, so don’t worry.
Also keep in mind that the map is a mircro-worlda, so size the maps accordingly.
For reference:
aBDcMi0.png

I honestly never thought far enough ahead regarding planetary systems, etc. I believe there was a molten planet close to the star as well. I would invite anyone to go crazy on the other planets in the system!
Fair enough. That being said, having that massive a planet be that bright will severely affect the dynamics of a day-night cycle, and that's even ignoring the possibility of natural satellites of this planet: I would imagine that, if there were to be any, it'd be a very Martian-style lunar system.

I suggest putting this solar system in a globular cluster. The night sky would be spectacular.
The above screenshot is from Space Engine.
It would be fantastic, but also impractical. Globular clusters do not create metals sparingly - and almost every planet discovered in globular clusters (and there's very little of them) are gas giants.
Edit: Source

This looks fantastic! One question for my own knowledge (since I’m no expert on this): would the long string of islands in the south be more mountainous because of the two converging tectonic plates, or no, because one is oceanic and the other is continental?
Oceanic-continental convergent boundaries tend to form volcanoes, so it'd probably be a bit mountainous.

It would be fantastic, but also impractical. Globular clusters do not create metals sparingly - and almost every planet discovered in globular clusters (and there's very little of them) are gas giants.
True, the reason globular clusters have lower metallicity is because most formed early on, when there were fewer heavy elements.

Perhaps this solar system was captured by the globular cluster instead of forming with it. This would avoid problems of metallicity.

True, the reason globular clusters have lower metallicity is because most formed early on, when there were fewer heavy elements.

Perhaps this solar system was captured by the globular cluster instead of forming with it. This would avoid problems of metallicity.
Interesting idea, but also potentially dangerous: planetary systems are not very stable within globular clusters.

Interesting idea, but also potentially dangerous: planetary systems are not very stable within globular clusters.
Depends on the distance to the core of the globular cluster. If the system is at the outer edge of the cluster, it should be more stable.

Fair enough. That being said, having that massive a planet be that bright will severely affect the dynamics of a day-night cycle, and that's even ignoring the possibility of natural satellites of this planet: I would imagine that, if there were to be any, it'd be a very Martian-style lunar system.

The fact that Centimanes hasn't experienced nuclear fusion leaves it without most of luminous energy of the Sun, and with most I mean several orders of magnitude. Even Jupiter is able to cast shadows on clear night on a desert on Earth so that's not a criterion to qualify it as disturbing to the day/night cycle.

EDIT: Here's the world's elevation map up to this point in time.

Worldbuilding II elevation map.png

Last edited:
The fact that Centimanes hasn't experienced nuclear fusion leaves it without most of luminous energy of the Sun, and with most I mean several orders of magnitude. Even Jupiter is able to cast shadows on clear night on a desert on Earth so that's not a criterion to qualify it as disturbing to the day/night cycle.

EDIT: Here's the world's elevation map up to this point in time.

View attachment 422607
Eh, touche. I don't know how far away Centimanes is, which is a bit of a problem. Want me to work on topography some more or?