British tank gun after the 6pdr?

Is this feasible? IOTL this came along:
The Ordnance QF 95 mm howitzer was built up from a section of a 3.7-inch anti-aircraft gun barrel, the breech mechanism of the Ordnance QF 25 pounder field gun/howitzer and the recoil mechanism of the Ordnance QF 6 pounder anti-tank gun.[4] From Wikipedia.

So... what would happen if you took the 3"/45 (76.2 cm) 20cwt QF HA and married it to the 25-pdr breech and recoil mechanism? Would it work for a tank gun?
Allan

Is this feasible? IOTL this came along:

So... what would happen if you took the 3"/45 (76.2 cm) 20cwt QF HA and married it to the 25-pdr breech and recoil mechanism? Would it work for a tank gun?
Allan
I don't see why not. The 25 Pounder had a higher muzzle energy if my math is right, so the recoil system should more than take the power of the 3". Depends on how much energy you get out of a modern 3" derivative I suppose. Others may have more insight into why it may or may not work, but it seems alright at first glance.

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
I don't see why not. The 25 Pounder had a higher muzzle energy if my math is right, so the recoil system should more than take the power of the 3". Depends on how much energy you get out of a modern 3" derivative I suppose. Others may have more incite into why it may or may not work, but it seems alright at first glance.
The early WWI 3" loading that burned out barrels had slightly more energy, but the later 3" loading was around 20% lighter than the 25 pdr when firing shot with Supercharge